1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek/ Hotham to be bought by Vail?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Apresski, Dec 21, 2018.

1. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great..perisher locals can look forward to feeling right at home:)

Marty_McSly, Chaeron, Sadie and 2 others like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ah, but the excitement, the anticipation: will I slide before I get the chains on? will the wind push my car sideways? will my hands freeze wrestling with the chains?

Chaeron likes this.
  3. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

So if Buller was to be Ikonised, for an outlay of about $500 more than a season pass cost before the price wars started, you could have access to all five majors all season long.

You might only get 7 or 5 days at each of Buller and Thredbo, but given they have more variable conditions while can't be beat in eyes of many on a good day, you could just pick off those days when the snow is on at those resorts, leaving the Epic resorts the staple. If you happen to live in Albury and surrounds even better due to reasonable weekender access to all resorts! Then for o/s trips you have access to pretty much every major resort of note in western US.

They might be corporates but they know how to put value products on the table.

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

And they (we) talk about AFL incessantly on the lifts, in bars and lodges.

And, they (we) - hate NRL and anyone who loves the 'hobby'. You 'Canadians' would hate it! Don't go!!

Marty_McSly and teckel like this.
  5. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

Falls is flat. Do yourself a favour and don’t bother.

Marty_McSly and Chaeron like this.
  6. SnowHorse

SnowHorse First Runs

I agree with you. I would hope that you'd get unlimited skiing at your home mountain (ie mt buller) and then 5 or 7 days at the other resorts around the world. If it's a cap of 7 days at ANY mountain then it becomes a bit pointless if you intend skiing lots at Buller. We'll have to wait and see what announcements come out over the coming weeks/months, if any..

7. Ziggy

Yeah, and sloppy. You have to wax your skis every hour.

Sadie, davec1, Chaeron and 1 other person like this.
  8. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

The latest rumour is a “ski tube” from falls to hotham.....

skiflat, Pink and Jacko4650 like this.
  9. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

From Bullocks Flat.

10. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think this deal will significantly increase the nsw visitors to the region. I just can't see the newcastle-sydney-wollongong catchment folk doing the drive, which includes effectively going around the nsw resorts to get there.
    But I think it will make falls and Hotham more attractive for the Melbourne market and people might look to adjust their Buller day trip / longer NE weekend+ trip balance.

skiflat, PiedPiper and Chaeron like this.
  11. MarkV

MarkV One of Us

And it's always windy at Hotham. Best the Northerners stay away!

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  12. Pink

Pink One of Us

Hyperloop. Elon and Parks Victoria are on board.

13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not hearing a lot of chatter about traditional Falls or Hotham skiers coming up to Perisher for a try, which is the collective of 4 resorts, Smiggins, Perisher, Blue Cow & Guthega. It is also the transport hub for Charlotte Pass, hopefully Vail's next acquisition, which would open up large areas of lifted freeride terrain.
    Perhaps the SkiTube veers left at Perisher front Valley toward Falls or Hotham via Charlottes???? Couldn't we re-purpose the tunnelling machines used for Snowy Hydro2 once they finish their water battery?

Chaeron and MarkV like this.
  14. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Shit must be real then it’s on the internet

Jacko4650 likes this.
  15. kiter

kiter One of Us

Hmmm. I think that there is an opportunity for a flight service from Newcastle to Hotham airport . Newcastle airport serves a big population that is within a 1 hr drive of the airport . It would be interesting to know how many people within an hour of Newcastle airport have epic passes . Raaf personnel can get the epic pass for $99 there’s a heap of them right there for a start . I’m sure that the Victorian gov or whoever paid for the airport would like to see it being used a bit more and maybe lodge owners in the area too

QUOTE="Belly, post: 3832837, member: 6157"]I don't think this deal will significantly increase the nsw visitors to the region. I just can't see the newcastle-sydney-wollongong catchment folk doing the drive, which includes effectively going around the nsw resorts to get there.
    But I think it will make falls and Hotham more attractive for the Melbourne market and people might look to adjust their Buller day trip / longer NE weekend+ trip balance.[/QUOTE]

Belly likes this.
  16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Newcastle/Sydney/gong folks are not exactly a rarity at Falls & presumably Hotham. I'm sure there will be an increase, but not massive. Not for weekends but for longer stays. Especially for those who want to stay on snow and/or enjoy a more relaxed and less crowded vibe, or just an occasional change.
    when Perisher was briefly on the same pass, there were certainly quite a few people from falls (& presumably hotham) trying it out.

I tried with SIC 2010 but conditions were really shit. Didn't bother with rain affected slop on saturday. Very heavy fresh on sunday so I used the free pass to try a couple of runs at Smiggins before deciding to head home instead of battling the traffic jam to Perisher proper. I'm sure we will give it another go if this deal goes through, especially since we have access to clubs there.

Jacko4650 and Chaeron like this.
  17. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

[/QUOTE]

Mm... Interesting. With all due respect to our brave fighting people, why would Vail chose to favour RAAF (or even army or navy) over other mug punters? Is that an American flag-waving thing?

Or are they seen as a 'rich-vein' to TAP into - a bit like the local/valley/border passes? Curious indeed!

18. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Mm... Interesting. With all due respect to our brave fighting people, why would Vail chose to favour RAAF (or even army or navy) over other mug punters? Is that an American flag-waving thing?

Or are they seen as a 'rich-vein' to TAP into - a bit like the local/valley/border passes? Curious indeed![/QUOTE]
    It is extremely common for military personnel to receive discounted tickets to all sorts of things in the USA.

19. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

And half the time you can't even get up to the place after a decent snowfall.
    Avoid, avoid!!

MarkV, Chaeron and Pink like this.
  20. The Plowking

Absolutely perfect for Perisher folk then?

21. The Plowking

There's a big one in Melbourne about to start on more underground railways....once they get to North Melbourne they could hook right and keep drilling via Buller, H, Falls, Thredbo, jindi...

22. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

It is extremely common for military personnel to receive discounted tickets to all sorts of things in the USA.[/QUOTE]

Discount because? Good marketing I guess? - showing their philanthropic Creditentials?

**. Perhaps could go the whole hog & offer discounts to Doc n nurses, police, SES, fire & ambos - all who save us each and every day! (Some of whom die for us too!)

23. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Have they plowed this road or am I dead?

Ziggy and Pink like this.
  24. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Discount because? Good marketing I guess? - showing their philanthropic Creditentials?

**. Perhaps could go the whole hog & offer discounts to Doc n nurses, police, SES, fire & ambos - all who save us each and every day! (Some of whom die for us too!)[/QUOTE]
    This was pretty extensively covered in the original thread about the discounted military pass. The key things are that it is very much a US cultural thing combined with the founders of Vail served in WWII with the 10th Mountain Division.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/rumors-of-super-epic-pass-deal-for-military.81082/

snowgum likes this.
  25. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Flights from Newcastle to Hotham aren't such a bad idea. Perisher skiers will really feel like they're going on an international ski trip. Different language (things like 'potato cakes'), a place where ladder chains are banned and they can't whinge about the absurdity of fitting chains, and chains need to be fitted to 4WDs and you can't catch a tube to get around the whole ordeal of chains, a place where the locals have totally different interests and have never heard of Jonathon Thurston or John Hopoate (I had to google those names), a place where there are steeps etc. A big international adventure for them, only enhanced by taking a flight to get there.

snowgum likes this.
  26. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

This was pretty extensively covered in the original thread about the discounted military pass. The key things are that it is very much a US cultural thing combined with the founders of Vail served in WWII with the 10th Mountain Division.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/rumors-of-super-epic-pass-deal-for-military.81082/[/QUOTE]

Good reply SkiNavy, I'm quite pro armed services - keeping us safe and all so begrudging them from a discount, just hard to work out where do you stop (in Oz at least) as there's so many great people out there looking after other Aussies and OS in times of war/disaster etc....(Indonesia, Solomans/Fiji/Timor...)!

But hey I fully understand Vail policy given its military founders.

FWIW being a BC tourer before finding lifts - I've see some old articles on 10thMD in Backcountry Mag & I think one of the Warren Millers - quite some time ago. Tough guys!!

PS: I recall that Kahru had a '10th Mountain Div BC ski - possibly wax less. Looked like a goodie too. Not sure if it was adopted by the then ski-div or not? Waxless be the way to when someone could be shooting at you!

27. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In fact, there are times when a special discount is available at U.S. resorts or small ski areas to active duty military, veterans, EMS, police, and firefighters. When I was at Taos in January, that happened to be a week when there were special discounts and events for military veterans. Normally the Taos military discount is for active duty only.

Here are examples from my home hill (a few hours drive from Washington DC):

28. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

One that has always struck me is that military personnel travelling in uniform have free access to most US airport lounges. Plus they get upgrades on flights. Little things, but indicative of a culture.

29. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

A lot of US airports also have a USO Lounge for military (active duty and retired) and dependants use. You may also find that, like here, US military qualify for membership under a corporate membership arrangement. ADF members can join Q Club at a significantly reduced rate, but given the amount of business the department does with QANTAS it's not surprising that there is a corporate membership arrangement.

30. Ziggy

31. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The Hotham road is a little gnarly sure, and certainly very exposed, but I'll put it that the Guthega road is technically more difficult. The drive down to the Snowy River, braving the black ice on the Diggers Creek bridge, into Island Bend campsite, then extricating your car from the dirt tracks in the campsite in an inch of new snow, and finally slithering up to Guthega on the muddy, potholed back road up the big hill past Perisher creek.

hongomania likes this.
  32. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

It may be but you don't have to take the Guthega road to visit the resort, an easier access route exists. Also as far as I know that road isn't flanked by a sheer drop on BOTH sides like parts of the Hotham road.

33. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hotham and Guthega? Really? LOL

You people have obviously never skied at Ben Lomond. Jacobs Ladder on the road up there really is scary.

currawong and Tanuki like this.
  34. Ziggy

Cars regularly slide off the GAR H'ville to Hotham section.

35. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Remarkables for me. Quite the drop.

36. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

How can you get out of commitment for Hero? I am in the same boat. Do you just cancel your credit card?

37. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'll take the Guthega road any day of the week over the road to Perisher.
    Sure its way more exposed. Compacted snow for near on ten kms. Cops some crazy winds.
    The difference . Way less dickheads in SUV's rushing up the road. Blind overtaking. Driving like ****wits.

Now this is a access road- Lyford
    [​IMG]

snowgum and currawong like this.
  38. currawong

If you want to cancel because you already are buying Epic, ring up Falls Creek Ski Lifts and talk to them. I'm sure they will have a process to look after people in your situation. They might still be figuring out exactly how but I can't believe that they want you to get screwed over this.

Chaeron likes this.
  39. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

From the Falls Hero Pass reminder email from last Friday:

Don't forget: Following the Vail Resorts transaction close and regulatory approval, Hero Pass holders will have the option to convert to an Epic Australia Pass™. Details will be announced upon transaction close.

40. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

My situation is a little different. I purchased the full epic for NH whistler trip. The 18/19 epic covers the Southern Hemisphere 2019 season, so don't want to pay twice!!

I'm only guessing but assume they want the cash so don't care. I'm willing to forego the deposit,but not keen on paying a further $750for no benefit other than some lousy discounts.

41. currawong

ring them. I don't think they will want you to pay twice.

42. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

Thanks for advice. I gave them a call and were really good. They have delayed the final payment until further notice and stated they wouldn't expect me to pay twice.
    As an recent NH traveller, I'm looking forward to making the most of epic passes in future seasons.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  43. currawong

very glad to hear that.

the lift co has its faults, but the sort of behaviour you feared is not one of them.

if by some slim chance they still take the 2nd payment, it will be because someone stuffed up. ring again if that does happen

Chaeron and Marty_McSly like this.
  44. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

I’d think the best outcome for the general public would be Buller go Epic,
    Imagine all big four Australian resorts on a single pass,
    Plus so many of us do North American and Japanese Epic resorts it’s a no brained,
    Price wise we will probably pay more but the options are huge.

Bogong likes this.
  45. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

You have forgotten Thredbo, which aside from having more vertical than any of the others has about as much skiable terrain as all of the Victorian hills combined.
    As attractive as the thought of welcoming our new Coloradoan overlords in exchange for a single pass may appear a monopoly would be a terrible thing for Australian skiers.

cornice11, Hully and Tanuki like this.
  46. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Thredbo? Never heard of it.
    I’m happy for Thredbo to go Ikon,
    But I agree it will be a price monopoly if Buller goes Epic but it will help put more bums on seats at falls and Hotham I think and help evenly distribute skiers across the Victorian resorts.
    Hell imagine the convenience of all the resorts on one card we could all get around and go where we want for what is a pretty small amount for an Australian Wide season pass.

47. currawong

buller skiers willingly paying more for a pass to ski elsewhere in Australia

ROFLROFLROFL

Marty_McSly and Bogong like this.
  48. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

In regard to competition, I've had a Salzburger Season Pass that gave me access to every resort in Salzburgerland and a few in Tirol (including Kitzbuehl). Didn't seem a problem there.

49. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Exactly, if NSW people think Thredbo loyalists are partisan, inward looking and avoid visiting other resorts, they haven't met a Buller loyalist. I suspect some of them spend almost their whole ski lives on that one mountain and have rarely been elsewhere.

I remember a few years ago another major resort (Falls Creek I think) won the right to host the inter school ski races that had been held at Buller. The howls of angst from mummies claiming that their precious offspring would be molested or get lost (or something like that) if they were forced to visit any other resort were so long and so loud that the organisers were intimidated into revoking their decision and the school races went back to Buller.

BTW, obviously most regular Buller and Thredbo skiers are sensible people and don't have the blind brand loyalty that I'm criticising, it's just that those two resorts are the only places that seem to attract the types prone to blinkered loyalty to one resort.

currawong likes this.
  50. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a cloud Ski Pass: Gold

It's about where private school families have bought. And most importantly it's about the drive.

snowgum and Chaeron like this.