Trip Report Falls Creek. June 27th and 28th 2022. Mr. Tee tries the lifts and XC skis the Mckay summit loop!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field booked a Falls Creek lift ticket and some ski tuition and picked up Ms. A. and Ms. M. and off we went to Myrtleford.
We rose before dawn in Myrtleford on Monday June 27th . The Table o meter at Falls Creek 's snow cameras showed a couple of cms of fresh snow had fallen over night so the surface would not be pure boiler plate ice.
I met P. sahib at 9 am at Windy corner .
He is a Local , and an experienced skier of 40 years of skiing and the significant other of Ms KJ . Ms. A. and Ms. M. went off for XC ski lessons while I skied down with P. Sahib to get my plastic lift pass ticket issued.
As per the comments by the learned panel on this forum , the place was insanely busy due to school holidays , and the queues for lifts were long and there were many people out there of all ages with even less idea about sliding down a hill than I have.
:-0
Soon enough we were off and the getting on and off the lift took a bit of getting used to . The Drover's dream lift deposited me onto an icy surface where I was required to ski off it quick smart. I crashed once doing that but I soon got the hang of it.
P. sahib made some videos of me skiing or trying to link timid stem Christie turns together and I can see I have a long way to go especially after very little skiing over the the past two winters.
P. Sahib skates and Telemarks with ease but he has been skiing for 40 years both here and abroad.
The number of people on that slope and on Wombat's ramble was a bit risky.
By 12 Noon it was time to ski back to the Birky ski club for lunch . P. sahib is a member there.
We went out for another spin on the lifts after lunch and by just after three pm it was time for my tuition with my ski teacher.
If only I had fresh legs for it.
I was coached into correcting some of my bad habits and working on the basics.
It was beneficial and the weather was clear but COLD.
I did see a major accident patient on Wombat's ramble who was wrapped up like a bug in a rug on the skidoo stretcher surrounded by numerous ski patrol personnel .
That person never got the message this learner got from my physiotherapist :
"Ski under control!".

By 1630 the day was just about done and my last lap down Wombat's Ramble was more confident and I was using a better ski stance.

I skied for a whole day on the lifts without ski poles.Learners are banned from using poles ;-P.

Ms. A. and Ms. M. were waiting for me at Windy Corner and we went off to camp at Mountain Creek that night so as to be closer to Falls creek for the next day of skiing.
We put up tents, lit a camp fire and made dinner.
It was a cold night with some frost on the tent the next morning.
Ms A. had booked a skating lesson on June 28th 2022 and Ms . M. just pottered about on Classic XC skis as far as the dam wall and back.
The weather was perfect for skiing over the summit on my classic Annum Cross country skis and Telemark boots and bindings.
There was no wind and few people were up there in the sunshine. It was beautful and scenic.
I thought about skiing down to Pretty Valley Hut but decided to eat lunch at the Cattle Grid and then complete the Mckay loop back to Windy Corner.
I will ski out to Pretty Valley hut another day when the weather is favourable.
I got back to Windy corner at 1415 . I should have skied off the McKay road down the last section of Wombat's ramble.
It was not as busy as the day before.
It would have been much quicker and fun. Put that in the in tray for next time.
I was satisfied with my Chook footing excursion and enjoyed two days of June skiing . I have skied 9 days so far this season.
We need some fresh snow , a big dump in time for my next Ski Lift skiing lesson.
I can see myself using the lifts a few more times this season and in future too.

:)
I did not take any photos of my ski
day on the lifts. I had enough to focus on
.Here are some pictures from Nordic skiing on June 28th 2022.
_SAM2077.JPG
_SAM2078.JPG
_SAM2079.JPG
_SAM2081.JPG
_SAM2082.JPG

The summit area XC ski trails were not groomed and had some fresh cover on them with some drifts, icy patches, sastrugi and some bushes poking out in places.
Road No. 24 was groomed/ or skidooed to death and had a temporary pole line along its upper section. Visibility was great and with no wind at all , sitting and eating lunch at the Cattle grid was pleasant and relaxing.
It was way more peaceful than the green runs on the lifts.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
While the snow on the summit area was much nicer to ski on , down lower on the trails closer to Windy Corner Ms. A. was learning to XC Skate ski. Here she is in action.
MVIMG_20220628_134242.jpg

Ms. A. took a nice shot of the sun set as we drove along the Happy valley road back
to Myrtleford on Tuesday night June 28th 2022.
IMG_20220628_171044.jpg

Last edited:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Well done. Looks like you got great conditions but school holiday crowds were always going to be an issue. So is disembarking from lifts. You survived that and the chaos that can be Wombat's, rated as a green beginner's run so first timers assume they can get down there, often without a rudimentary lesson, to the danger of themselves and those around them.
Nice photos up around McKay.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Well done. Looks like you got great conditions but school holiday crowds were always going to be an issue. So is disembarking from lifts. You survived that and the chaos that can be Wombat's, rated as a green beginner's run so first timers assume they can get down there, often without a rudimentary lesson, to the danger of themselves and those around them.
Nice photos up around McKay.
Yes getting off the lift at Drovers dream was a learning curve and so was dodging numpties with even less idea than I have about skiing especially on the Wombats ramble.There were people on that run who had not had even one lesson ,ever
.P.sahib saw two school age girls straight line it with zero stopping or turning skills.They went straight into the trees at speed.
OMG
It will be fun to do again a once the school holidays end in mid July.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Yes getting off the lift at Drovers dream was a learning curve and so was dodging numpties with even less idea than I have about skiing especially on the Wombats ramble.There were people on that run who had not had even one lesson ,ever
.P.sahib saw two school age girls straight line it with zero stopping or turning skills.They went straight into the trees at speed.
OMG
It will be fun to do again a once the school holidays end in mid July.

dodging or going around other people is part of this sport, you best get used to it.

numpty
/ˈnʌmpti/

noun
informal•British
noun: numpty; plural noun: numpties
  1. a stupid or ineffectual person.

Is this really the best way you can find to describe your fellow winter sport lovers ?

Reactions: neilmny

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
dodging or going around other people is part of this sport, you best get used to it.

numpty
/ˈnʌmpti/

noun
informal•British
noun: numpty; plural noun: numpties
  1. a stupid or ineffectual person.

Is this really the best way you can find to describe your fellow winter sport lovers ?
Most humans are either mongers,numpties or knuckle draggers.The misanthropic streak in me runs quite deeply.

:p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Medicine_Shoes

slotele

One of Us
Jun 3, 2016
Has it occurred to you that they were perhaps more advanced skiers and they enjoy the speed on the easy runs? :skier:
One man's first day ridding the lifts is some one else's XC BC numpty clogging up the run trying to stem christie...

Anyway, it takes all sorts. Glad to hear you had a good day, did you get your hockey stop sorted?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Has it occurred to you that they were perhaps more advanced skiers and they enjoy the speed on the easy runs? :skier:
One man's first day ridding the lifts is some one else's XC BC numpty clogging up the run trying to stem christie...

Anyway, it takes all sorts. Glad to hear you had a good day, did you get your hockey stop sorted?

You may have misunderstood. I meant those two girls crashed straight into the trees at speed.
They were out of control and totally lost it and crashed into the trees.

I am still learning the rudiments of side sliding in order to get the Hockey stop happening .
You know it takes a numpty to know or spot a numpty .
;-)
After doing hardly any skiing over the past two years my skiing overall needs a lot of work. I will join the ranks of the numpty club
( if they will have me) and have more lessons on the lifts at Falls and Baw Baw this ski season and get to where I would have been / should have been by October 2020 , that is if CV19 had not stopped most of life in Victoria as we knew it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

slotele

One of Us
Jun 3, 2016
I am still learning the rudiments of side sliding in order to get the Hockey stop happening .
You know it takes a numpty to know or spot a numpty .
Ah, ok, yes control is everything. Ha ha, we are all numpties to someone. LMK if you get up to BHP again in the next week, I'm at the RC till the 9th.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Ah, ok, yes control is everything. Ha ha, we are all numpties to someone. LMK if you get up to BHP again in the next week, I'm at the RC till the 9th.
I am working all of the next period until Sunday July 10th. After that I will be free to ski somewhere on the Monday and Tuesday of each week until later in July. By the 10/7/22 we should hopefuly have a new dump of snow.
I have a booking at the Bogong Rover chalet for a week in August.
During July Two more ski lessons and at least one more day on the lifts in
order to iron out some basic skills will be handy
esp. if
we ski down to Westons hut from the Bogong Rover Chalet for a long day trip.

Last edited:

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Depending on the time of day, Wombats is one of the hardest (most dangerous) runs at Falls

My scariest experience was night skiing with lots of people going in all directions

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using