1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Falls Creek news and chat

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was surprised yesterday at Dinner Plain how many 4wd's, real and otherwise, had chains fitted. Some had standard road tyres so I could see that being safe but others would have been fine without. Talking with one chap and he said they just wanted to be safe. He was from Qld and I think it was a fair call for him. Also stunned with the number of people who stop in the middle of the road to take the chains off or make adjustments. I think chains for 2wd was a fair call yesterday.

Chaeron likes this.
  2. Hully

Hully One of Us

Not a man who takes kindly to being questioned or criticized..... I've had experience and I'm not going there.

currawong likes this.
  3. Hully

Hully One of Us

The real risk at Falls is the "boy who cried wolf" factor. If you are driving up regularly in your Subaru or similar when the advise is fit chains to AWD and the road is black for the 5km to the village, you're going to be inclined to ignore the advise on that one time it's actually necessary. As it stands this season, every time they've had fit to 2WD it's been AWD advised to fit and it's at least on at Howman's..... and we've yet to have a significant snow event for the season.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

this times several billion. I'm very happy to fit chains to the subie if there is hard compacted snow/ice. This happens rarely. If there is credible advice that it is needed then I will. every time they put up ridiculous advice, it undermines credibility

skiflat, Marty_McSly and PiedPiper like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I'd be assuming that chains running on bitumen compromises grip, and requiring chains when they're not needed raises the level of risk and amounts to negligence.

Hully likes this.
  6. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Unfortunately part of the nanny we are liability risk averse state, is that' the boy who cries wolf 'is more often than not .
    Worst example where I live are the mad road signs saying 40 km/hr left out after the main event or those idiotic auto traffic lights which were left going on a minor road all weekend.
    The chains bit is just to avoid litigation and as you say when overused dont enhance safety.
    GMW and Gippsland Water say their water supply is not safe to drink .

7. Hully

Hully One of Us

The other thing I'm finding perplexing is that the main Police fine is in regards to disobeying a road safety sign....ie "No Entry Unless Snowchains Fitted, 4WD/AWD Excepted". However, on the way down they do not have an "End Snowchains Fitted" sign.
    As of last year they have put in a sign on the downhill side before the bridge that says "End Chains Must Be Carried" to correspond with the "Chains Must Be Carried" on the uphill side.
    I think you could remove your chains straight away and not be fined on a technicality because you obeyed the sign and fitted them and there is no 'derestriction' sign. No wonder people drive back to Mt Beauty with chains fitted.

skiflat likes this.
  8. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Dont get me started on that one. In the good old days there was signage on the way down indicating where chains could be removed.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Xplora

The 'end snow chains must be carried' sign is not really necessary on the BHP road. Rule 97(2)(b) accounts for this because the road is effectively a dead end but there should be a sign indicating where to take the chains off. I can't say I noticed one on the Great Alpine road on Thursday which could account for why people were randomly stopping in the middle of the road to take chains off. @Hully could be onto something. If you entered the resort when chains were not required but left when the sign was displayed for vehicles travelling up then you in fact have not faced a sign. Using chains when not required is also an offence under the Road Management Act. I wonder if Vic Roads will ever sort it out. Outside the resort the offence is disobeying a sign and is much less than the fine inside the resort.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Is there a preferred way to carry your chains? Knapsack, handbag, pockets, over the shoulder?

Apresski likes this.
  11. Hully

Hully One of Us

Lucky we didn't get the 1/2 mt of snow, the road up this morning after 16cm was a debacle.

skiflat and Marty_McSly like this.
  12. Hully

Hully One of Us

I had heard a whisper a while back that Falls was going to be short a snow clearing vehicle this season because they got rid of two and only one was going to be delivered in time for winter. Didn't think much of it but have noticed only one vehicle clearing roads (a new 4wd small truck) and today didn't see any doing regular clearing during the snowfall. Hope we don't get too much snow (more than 16cm in 24hrs that we have maxed out at this season) too far down the road. Not sure one vehicle will keep up.
    Hope the rumour is wrong.....

#612 Hully, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    currawong likes this.
  13. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This guy will be busy then

I also did see (but no photo) one of those road grader things clearing the road, along with a smaller vehicle clearing the road with the thing on the back that sprays out the salt/ grit onto the road

14. Hully

Hully One of Us

For those perplexed by the AWD advised or required to fit chains circus, refer to this that Australia's self appointed expert in snow driving posted on a Hotham thread https://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd
    In effect it means that vehicles that are full-time 4WD like my Defender are technically AWD..... there is no difference that can be used to discriminate between these vehicle types and it is just a power play. Drivers of Subarus etc that have been driving the road safely for years without chains unless all vehicles required to fit..... ignore and drive on.

15. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

I just take it on advisement - if I don't feel comfortable I will put on chains. I've put the chains on a few times on the old Suzuki XL7 and front wheel drive Lantra before that. Haven't needed to yet with the Ranger ute but there's plenty of time for that (it'll be noticable when there's no load in the back). Took an Xtrail up there on the pre-season dump, no issues - wet road but not glassy.

16. currawong

Pretty much this. It's a bit embarrassing putting on chains when you can't pull off but that's better than than trying to continue when you realise you need them. How much better would it be if RMB provided appropriate up-to-date advice that we could take seriously

17. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

With the way that skynet NBN or mobile comms work with signage etc, there is no excuse not to have digital up to the minute information available on the roadside signage.

currawong and Marty_McSly like this.
  18. currawong

Border Mail says that there is $1.4m in black spot funding for BHP between Sun Valley Rd and Wallace's hut track. Hopefully this will include around basalt hill which seems the most dangerous section. Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to widen the road now. AIUI parks wouldn't allow it to be wider than the old gravel road.

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Those tourist buses go up to Wallace’s and park....Parks Vicco needs to reconsider any opposition to road widening or realignments.....it’s just a bad accident waiting to happen!

Motor bikes,cyclists and buses ....not a real good mix around there!

Wally and currawong like this.
  20. currawong

that blind corner at the top of basalt hill in particular

Chaeron and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  21. Ziggy

Yeah, there's narrow blind sections without a centre line, and too many drivers don't know the width of their vehicle so you encounter them in the centre of the road.

Chaeron likes this.
  22. Xplora

The Alpine shire have let that section fall away to a disgrace. Probably waiting for funding or the promise of Vic Roads taking it back. That was the plan a few years ago but it seems to have been shelved. $1.4M in the hands of the Alpine shire will only go as far as patching pot holes. They will probably put another useless seal on it as well. Widening the road will be good but it will also require a cultural heritage permit which can take some time to get. That is not in the hands of PV. You can't even dig a hole in the park without permission from the traditional owners. It has taken 18 months for us to get permission for another project which is a much smaller scale than any roadworks. BHP road is also part of the park, unlike Buffalo road and similar which are actually a road within the park.

Chaeron, Wally and currawong like this.
  23. currawong

IMHO patching potholes without widening may make it more dangerous. at least potholes tend to slow people down. (yeah, I admit it might also encourage them to drive on the wrong side to avoid them)

I'm surprised that the road itself is in the park. I thought that the dog sled rides could operate in the past because they were on the road rather than the park.

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Ziggy

There's sections of the surface below Falls that are also breaking up. They've been marked but that'll have to be done again.

Chaeron likes this.
  25. Xplora

I did a bit of research last year on this after being told that was the case by a ranger (also about snow chain regs). She was right. Often the road bisecting a park will be excised but BHP road has not been. I discovered last year that Buffalo road was not part of the park but regulations were made (National Park Regs) governing what can happen with it. It was written in legislation (the Act) that regulations cannot be made by Parks to govern this road and Wilsons prom road so those regulations were not enforceable by Parks. In effect a ranger could not issue a direction for anything on the road so could not tell people to carry or use chains on Buffalo road. I received a call from a friend in Parks who is the regulatory officer. She had been passed the file to sort out.

I am not sure about the sled dogs but it is possible for a permit to be issued for this type of event. It is also possible that some authorities think they can do what they like on the road. I know Falls RMB think that. East Gippsland shire erected signs without permission. It marked the road surface without permission. It spent its allocated black spot money on pulling out all the white guide posts and replacing them with orange because they are better seen in the snow. The road is closed in winter stupid. The road is not the regulation width to have a centre line. This is what grant money is spent on by councils. I suggested dropping the speed limit to 80 would be a bigger step toward road safety (considering it is mostly motorcycle crashes) but they said no. I suggested some barriers on dangerous bends and they said no. The next week a car went off a bend and started a bush fire. Same place and a bike goes off - fatal this time.

The first step to improving this road would be to have it excised from the park with an adjacent road reserve and then give it back to Vic Roads to pull up and start all over. The contractors who did the Omeo Hwy come from Benalla. They did the job $1M under budget and delivered before the completion estimated time. A proper job done too. Look what the council's did to the road. They did not even grade it before it was sealed. The corrugations are still there. Don't give them any more money to waste.

26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, good and efficient road building contractors are a rare commodity. The mob that sealed the middle part of the Omeo Highway should be rewarded for their excellent job by getting more work rather than giving the money to the inefficient, bureaucratic and occasionally incompetent lot at VicRoads or local shires.

27. currawong

Minor point - i think orange poles can be useful outside winter. My worst trip over hotham was actually one april. It did snow, but heavy fog was the main issue. That said, most of the eadt hippsland section is below the tree line so visibility of roadsdide its not such an issue.

Otherwise, yep. Probably rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

28. Xplora

We have done our fare share of shockers in fog and at night. The reflectors are best. Post colour not a great deal of importance. When you are driving 10kph all the way over with the door open to see where the road is then post colour is irrelevant.

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Good Xplora thanks for clarifying that...:thumbs:

30. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Got a prize today. +1 for the first snowboarder to ride International this season (so they say) and me for being the first snowboarder to stack it on International LOL #triedtoshootmetomars #rocket #notwithabrokenkegthanks #trippleblackpoma #brokenleglife #firstpomastackinabouttwentyyears

31. Ziggy

Do it in front of an audience?
    Hurts more but in a different way.

32. currawong

i wish i had kept some of those. the silver ones only got you on the baby pomas and other little beginner lifts. gold took you anywhere. a day ticket cost about the same as 12 gold tokens. i still have a thing about 12 runs

Chaeron and Sadie like this.
  33. Sadie

Nah, no one there except the lifties and +1 who was further up the poma line.

I think they fed it some Wheeties this morning. It took off like a rocket

Chaeron likes this.
  34. Sadie

We’ve both got two. That one is different, perhaps newer than this one

Chaeron likes this.
  35. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What a blast from the past! It’s interesting the different approaches they took to ticketing. At one stage at Falls they had the strip tickets where different lifts required different numbers of tickets per ride, that the lifties tore off the strip of a dozen or so tickets

36. Bogong

That old token is a treasue, I'm amazed at its condition. Maybe the lift co found some while cleaning out a storeroom or something?

Were those tokens put in a turnstile or were they just given to a towie in the same way that a coupon or ticket would be?

37. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty sure you had to give them to a towie
    I remember carrying them around. Much better than the paper tickets. They were both a pain in the arse as you had to take your gloves off and get them out of your pockets.

Bogong likes this.
  38. Sadie

I’m wondering if the first one I posted is a new pressing (reproduction) and the second one I posted the original. They have different writing on them.

39. Bogong

The key could be what company is written on the tokens, Alpine Developments Holdings ran the lifts at Falls from 1960 to 1982.

From 1983 the lifts were owned by a branch of Transfield, but I'm not sure they were still using tokens by then???

Anyway, the silver one with A.D.H. written on it was definitely produced between 1960 and 1982, while the gold one was probably used later. It could possibly be a reproduction, though I doubt they would bother to make a new batch after they became obsolete?

Chaeron, Sadie and Ziggy like this.
  40. gettingtooold

I can assure you that you're not the first to come undone on it. Before they slowed it down you often got airborne on the bend. Worth it though.

Charlie and Sadie like this.
  41. Sadie

They’re both gold. The first one is newer then with the Falls Creek Pty Ltd

Bogong and Chaeron like this.
  42. Sadie

I always get airborne on it anyway. If there isn’t enough snow on the track, it actually lifts me into the air in some spots as I’m so short. I’m an adult child LOL

We ride it so much, but today was the first time in a long time that I’ve come off. I am totally blaming my broken leg though ha ha :whistle: I’m not the most agile at the moment with it.

43. currawong

i remember the strip tickets at hotham and buller in the 70s but by the time I got to Falls they had tokens

Sadie likes this.
  44. currawong

there were turnstiles that took them, but often you just gave them to a towie because the turnstiles were a nuisance.

when the FC museum opened a few years ago, they gave out tokens as a souvenirs. Not sure if they were originals. They may have been pressed for the occasion

Sadie and Bogong like this.
  45. Bogong

Thanks for all that stuff on strip tickets, tokens and turnstiles. I'd started writing up something on changes to ski ticketing and that amplifies and clarifies what I remember and what I've found in old books and magazines. Sadie can I use your photos please?

Now I need to track down pics of strip tickets. Someone I know thinks he may have some from Blue Lifts at Buller stored away.

Sadie and currawong like this.
  46. Sadie

@Bogong I’ll take better pictures and do both sides and the one at home of the ADH one is in better condition.

Bogong likes this.
  47. gettingtooold

Good luck with the strip tickets Bogong. We'd be absolutely swining if we had any tickets or tokens left in our pockets at the end of the day.

Bogong likes this.
  48. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I've got some from Baw Baw, if you're interested, I'll try to dig them up!

Ziggy, Sadie, currawong and 1 other person like this.
  49. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

50. Ziggy

Anyone who witnessed the following is requested to get in touch ..

At about 1pm today on Wombat Ramble, just at the signs saying Slow Here at the entry to the Plaza, one skier slammed into a skier below him.
    The woman who stopped and said to the skier wearing a black cap 'Well you're not hurt' is particularly requested to make contact as that quick observation proved not to be correct.
    Thanks.

Chaeron and nezumi like this.