1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Falls Creek news and chat

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Dec 9, 2014.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This times a billion.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

It isn't a lot of money for most people Currawong, just too much for my income when all the other costs are taken into consideration. I doubt things will change in the sort term so no point in skiing the lifts at all any more. I think I might just pull up a rocking chair and drink cocoa from now on. Due to the many inequities in our pension system I am on an income of $2300-PA and nobody will give me a job so I have stopped looking for one. Shame actually because I am bloody good at my trade; just a bit on the slow side now and in my trade speed is now the only thing that counts. Thatz life in 2020 an onward

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

you are the exception to my sweeping generalisation.
    however even you say that this is the last straw on top of all the other costs.

hope you find a way to enjoy the snow still, or at least find some more affordable alternative activities. I got obsessed with cycling when I couldn't ski, but that's not exactly cheap. down your way I suppose you do have beaches and nice walking options

#803 currawong, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

1. When a company removes a benefit the PR damage is greater than if it had never been offered, so no wonder Vail is copping criticism.
    2. Re the current 65+ discount of 25% for a season pass, you have to read the fine print to learn that it comes without free lift ticket vouchers or resort discounts. In PR terms that's a gotcha and has a reputational cost. It makes the lift company look not generous but sneaky.
    That pass is worse value to some customers than the standard season pass.
    3. And now of course the locals pass is gone. More reputational damage.
    The counterbalancing offer of free lift access at Perisher and overseas will count for little to people counting their pennies.

Bogong and Chaeron like this.
  5. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Lift companies ‘forget’ that older established skiers are the people who encourage and mentor younger people into the sport. Physical networks cannot automatically be leveraged or replaced by social media reach and marketing.

Multi-generational families and friendship networks work on an extended basis - an occasional ski by a retired person who is choosing between any amount of alternatives has a flow-on effect for their network.

It’s called building a long-term lifestyle brand.

Loyalty and familiarity with a particular resort can easily be eroded...

Maybe Vail is assuming that it’s de facto majority ownership of the Australian ski pie means it can ignore this - monopoly provider thinking - so common in the Australian retail space.... with limited alternatives local consumers have no alternative but to suck it up.

Vail is also repositioning its resorts in the market - Australian skiing is now more an upmarket regional international tourism offering, no longer primarily and only an Australian offering for all.... locals are no longer a key element in this proposition, except as a labour force, and drawing on increased seasonal labour and reducing the permanent head count would be part of the rationalisation of integrating 3 Aussie resorts.

Making more from wealthier Australians by capturing a larger slice of their overseas skiing spend via the Epic pass is obviously expected to bring in more than what is going to be lost by offering a differentiated local package spread across multiple price points.

Ugly reasoning, but that’s what happens when you run a business by the numbers.

One wonders whether Vail will start playing off the management boards of its 3 resorts against each other - give us what we want or the other resort is preferenced in terms in terms of spend and development. Now that is plain uncharitable of me to think of such a thing.

gettingtooold, currawong and gaz35 like this.
  6. Ziggy

Good points.

In the past I've had one of my adult sons up and skiing on the lift voucher that came with a Hero Pass. No way would he have done it without, as a start of career employee with a mortgage. That kept him interested in skiing and he always volunteers for his school ski trips.

As an aside, I chatted to a lodge manager on the lift who said she's getting quite a few inquiries from Perisher skiers.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  7. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Surely dad could spring for ticket now n then ;)

Chaeron likes this.
  8. Ziggy

This retired Dad can, and makes the offer. Plenty of others can't.

Chaeron's point was about who influences the next (potential) generation of skiers. In my case the positive effect was felt across two generations. Shoot, Vail ought to be giving me free passes :D

9. Ziggy

There's been talk about how well off baby boomers are.

I've got friends who were stung by the GFC and moved to conservative investment strategies for their super - ie. cash and fixed interest. Now they're hurting as their returns barely match inflation. Yes, they have a major asset in the form of their home but they've become very careful in their spending.

Chaeron likes this.
  10. Chaeron

Us Generation X skiers depend on our Baby Boomer parents to ‘make up’ the difference between our slower growing wages and increased living costs involved in providing for our own offspring.

There is no question that it is the financial surplus derived from grandparents that enables the grandkids to experience an enhanced lifestyle.

A skier grandparent more well-disposed to resort X over resort Y may see the third generation’s future spending habits shaped by how older skiers are treated....not by social media.

Marty_McSly, Ziggy and gaz35 like this.
  11. Rick Ross Da Boss

Us gen y folks gives no f#%+# and spends it all on skiing and other adventure sportsROFLROFL
    o_O

Chaeron and mr like this.
  12. Rick Ross Da Boss

Most toys wins right?

Chaeron likes this.
  13. currawong

Parking capacity is becoming a real limiter on number of people who can use the lifts on a busy day. In that capped scenario, lift companies ( and quite a few other on mountain businesses) would rather have more affluent people who are like ly to spend more on other things.
    Stinks, but that's the wonderful world of capitalism

Chaeron likes this.
  14. Ziggy

They don't really attempt to manage peak parking do they? Apart from announcing they're full.

Chaeron and skiflat like this.
  15. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

and i thought it was most smashed avo breakfasts and insta likes!

Rick Ross Da Boss and Chaeron like this.
  16. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Stinks, but that's the wonderful world of capitalism[/QUOTE]
    yeah because the alternative works so well

17. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

email from Falls:

Falls Creek Resort Management wish to advise we will be undertaking snow clearing operations in the village area beginning 9am Monday 16th September 2019.

This will involve the use of heavy plant and machinery. Clearing procedures will include spotters to control interaction with the general public and mitigate risk where possible. Clearing will begin on Falls Creek Rd and work up from there. The clearing of Snowgums Lane and Slalom St entry point will be executed last.

Main village access will not be re-opened to stakeholders and guests until such time as all roads are cleared and it is declared safe for wheeled vehicles to operate. ATS will continue to operate while snow clearing is in progress.

skiflat, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  18. Rick Ross Da Boss

Ski.com likes for gen x and y??:p

mr likes this.
  19. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep it's getting quite sad around the Village :(

Never realised until today that a skidoo has no steering on asphalt.....

20. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

This is where we're way behind the Kiwis - well at least the Southern Lakes' resorts.

I can testify that the free TC valley to resort shuttle worked very well this year. It's a great idea as it would never fit every car. Cardi offered this even though we didn't need it - but it's a handy option - ESP for people with 2WDs or who don't like snow driving.

I recall Remarks and CP offer similar shuttles.

Vic resorts do it (not sure NSW) but I think only Buller is a rock up and ride. Either way I think he costs put people off - not an issue in NZ.

So maybe there needs to be some 'pain-sharing' so the shuttles can work.

Surely resorts and Lift co.s can think of something??

21. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

While we are at it why does falls clear the roads in spring and hotham doesnt eg in Davenport?

Is it because falls is clean family fun image and hotham is for dirtbags? I guess alot of falls roads are sealed, whereas non at hotham.

22. currawong

not sure what you mean here. falls and hotham have shuttles within the resort but that doesn't help when the car parks are full.

23. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

The difference is that the Kiwi shuttles start at the valley floor so the car parks can be off mountain.

Obviously this makes for a longer bus trip but car parks are hard to construct on steep hillsides.

As Falls and Hotham push their car parks further downhill it feels the need for a kiwi /Buller style shuttle ramps up. If only peak weekends and school holidays?

24. Ziggy

IIRC at Falls peak parking was hit only a couple of times this season, so all that's needed is a contingency plan - parking and a shuttle to run below Howmans, an extra, free, bus from Mt Beauty etc.

Chaeron likes this.
  25. currawong

But there isn't really much extra parking capacity below howmans.
    Also the existence of a commercial service from mt beauty makes it problematic to have a free one at times.

Not saying it's impossible, but hard to see how they could make it work.

There are plans for a new carpark (200 cars IIRC) which will help. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Not sure whether it would be used for overnight parking, freeing up somewhere like lower windy for day parking, or use it for day parking

26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

In one of those ridiculous "pie in the sky" plans that are full of unfeasible and/or unaffordable ideas that ski resorts commission when they are feeling especially silly or cashed up, there are plans to make Falls Creek the ultimate summer altitude training centre for athletes, footballers, rowers etc. In addition to a footy oval ( ! ) in the nordic bowl area, a large swimming pool is planned for (I think) the Upper Slalom St day carpark. If built that would take away a lot of parking for skiers who are by far the largest contributors of revenue to Falls Creek.

27. currawong

I think multi story parking is part of that. Not so much a plan as a framework for getting grants and other funding. To get a grant they have to show that it is consistent with the masterplan, so it's a wishlist.
    A pool would be vey helpful for summer and late season growth. Particularly attractive for families, not just athletes. The altutude training centre concept is the least implausible way of getting one.

We are seeing a growth in summer athletes. Triathletes currently bus down to mt beauty to swim.

The football area would actually improve the nordic bowl facilities and is supported by most of the xc fraternity. Nothing will happen though till someone can secure funding.

Chaeron and Bogong like this.
  28. currawong

Just to be clear, the planned carpark that i mentioned earlier is much less ambitious than the multistory wishlist item. 200 cars in a new area below Bay 8. Hopefully by next season.

Chaeron likes this.
  29. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Okay, perhaps the plan isn't so silly. In the context or Currawong's post it actually makes sense.

I was thinking of it in the context of an equivalent report for Baw Baw by especially idiotic consultants which, among other absurdities, recommends demolishing 90% of buildings in the resort and rebuilding them to 'modern' standards. The report makes no mention of where the money would come from to rebuild Victoria's most marginal and cash strapped ski resort though.

30. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Get rid of the helicopter space down low and you could fit in a few more cars.
    The HA training system has been a pie in the sky for a few decades now and still nothing has happened, it was proposed way back when I first started living on the hill [ 1990] and I left in 1996 or thereabout

Chaeron likes this.
  31. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

It's been ages since I've seen any master plans, so hard to comment about appropriate placement of alititude training facilities. But each summer (Xmax /New Year) there's heaps of runners and the like so if it's still growing and profitable then it's worth catering for this segment.

A pool would really be the lynchpin of summer at Falls both for tourists with kids and atheletes. I strongly believe a lot more families would stay if a pool was available - daily busing isn't sustainable with littlies.

I know Thredbo is the role model for summer tourism but I think With a pool and the like Falls can emulate much of this function, if not on the same scale.

I wonder how Thredbo got is funding approved by the Feds for their AIS status? I assume Falls could use similar strategies. I'd suggest that Thredbo's relative proximity to Canberra would have helped attract Fed funds, so that's an extra hurdle for 'little Ol Vic' to overcome. One would hope a major plan would attract Vic funding but would that be enough without Fed funds?

I've no idea how parking would work up at the bowl should a training facility & pool be built. It's easy to think XC skiing could be a looser here as there's only so much flat land available - even at Falls.

Let's hope a decent plan develops and the public get a chance to voice an opinion. One can grow old waiting for plans to deliver... ( ;-l

32. currawong

Heli pad is primarily for air ambulance. Agree that it's a pity to lose so many carparks for something used so infrequently, but very hard to argue against the need for medical evacuation facility. Unless someone wants to fund a new medical centre with a helipad on top then i can't see it changing.

Chaeron likes this.
  33. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Any news on the ATS terminal redevelopment

Chaeron likes this.
  34. currawong

IIRC they were going to announce outcome of the tender process after the season. October? I think there was going to be more stakeholder consultation after that. Sorry a bit fuzzy on this

skiflat likes this.
  35. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Great thanks!

36. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

Haven't been there for a while but Ski Rider (just outside of Perisher) runs a bus between the accommodation and Smiggs/Perisher for guests - it saves on driving up daily & probably the National Parks entry.

I'd like to see a shuttle from just outside of FC to the resort as there'd be plenty of benefits:
    • Increased visitor capacity (an EIS would be required :rolleyes:)
    • More day-trippers spending money on-mountain
    • Requirement for more day & overnight lockers
    • Less cars banked back along BHP Road

Ziggy and Chaeron like this.
  37. currawong

where would you fit a large number of cars just ouside the resort - assuming that the howman's gap complex isn't going anywhere. also that it is national park below howmans

38. Chaeron

Fainter Falls below the bridge plus Nursery.

Bus from Mt Beauty, pickups st Bogong village, Fainters Falls, Nursery,

39. currawong

what's the combined capacity of fainter falls and nursery? <50 cars?

40. currawong

email today advertising 2020 resort entry pass with bonus. $375, including last 2 weeks of this season if you pay by 5pm 20 sept.
    early bird pass not yet announced

skiflat, nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  41. Chaeron

I reckon you’re right. 60 at a push.

42. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

This is one area where a second floor would actually work well. Big wide ramp for stretcher access and a clear take-off line for the pilot. FC badly needs a real medical centre, has done so for decades but as you say who funds it? The chemist is sorely missed also

Chaeron likes this.
  43. emkae

Multi storey car park in Lower Slalom Car Park?

44. Chaeron

Just got my 2020 resort entry...

Ziggy, skiflat and Sadie like this.
  45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Isn't this what a resort should fund - possibly with some one-off state gov funding?

Would be very hard explaining to a family of a skier that passed away or suffered an adverse outcome due to 'inadequate medical facilities'?

( I do wonder about Aussie per Se & our ski hills sometimes!)

...apologies to the local amateur drama company!

Chaeron likes this.
  46. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Isn’t this the early bird?

47. emkae

Dear Season Pass holder,

With another wonderful start to spring we are launching a special deal once more to encourage new visitors to come and enjoy the excellent conditions of season 2019. Today we are launching this special deal for those who don't yet hold a Resort Entry Season Pass, but we want to give you the heads up that our regular Resort Entry Season Pass sale (with $99 deposit option) is coming too.

Look out for Early Bird sales to open after the close of season 2019. In the meantime, if you have family or friends wanting to get a great deal on a 2020 pass that gets them to the snow in 2019 too , be sure to let them know about today's announcement at www.fallscreek.com.au

Have a great spring,

The Falls Creek Resort Management Marketing crew.

Spring FOMO Pass 2019-20

• On sale 9am Friday September 13th to 5pm Friday September 20th
    • $375 total cost paid in full by 5pm Friday September 20th
    • Resort Entry access to Falls Creek from Saturday September 21st to Sunday October 6th, 2019
    • Season-long Resort Entry access to Falls Creek in snow season 2020

48. currawong

they say early bird is coming after the season

49. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It is becoming more and more popular over summer for training and maybe in time it will progress. All we have to do is train these elite athletes to stop hogging the road. They seem to think the road is only for them. Every summer now I come across runners up to 5 abreast in the lane. Sometimes only two will take up the entire lane. I give them a couple of bips on the horn to warn them of my approach but end up on their heels and leaning on the horn to get them to move. Worse still when they do it in heavy fog. It is actually becoming a bit of a nightmare travelling to Mt. Beauty in summer. We avoid weekends.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Ziggy

There may be more capacity up Road 24 and there are some flats on the HT power line access tracks. You could negotiate with AGL on the McKay Creek power station access road - from memory there's a decent sized bench there left from construction.
    Why large? I wonder if FCRM has good data. Presumably, if they're planning on another park in the resort.

Chaeron likes this.