News Falls Creek news and chat

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Does anyone know if I can redeem Hero Pass lift pass discount vouchers (have printed them out) online? I'm taking up my boys over the weekend, and it would be vastly preferable to purchase their lift tickets online rather than having to stand in a queue...

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Lift company confirmed over the phone it has to be done in person. Gave them some immediate and robust (but polite) feedback. Not impressed, especially as they already have a voucher acceptance system set up in their check-out process, and their print-out vouchers also already have a unique digital ID. Not hard!

This generates a disincentive for Hero Pass users to cash in their discounts and in effect devalues these discounts. Not really good customer service if you think about it. The system is set up not for the consumer, but for the administrator. Might take my cash elsewhere next season, come to think of it...not that this would have any impact.

Reactions: currawong and Ziggy
Jun 25, 2017
Sydney
Lift company confirmed over the phone it has to be done in person....

This generates a disincentive for Hero Pass users to cash in their discounts and in effect devalues these discounts. Not really good customer service if you think about it... Might take my cash elsewhere next season, come to think of it...not that this would have any impact.

Customer service isn't meant to make life easier for customers - why would anyone want to take advantage of the 'freebies' included in the ticket?

Reactions: Chaeron

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
A staffer's car on Road 24 after the dump.

FB_IMG_1502560388394.jpg

Pic by Nikki Ta.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Sigh.
3rd day confined to basecamp. Done the shopping, washing and shell-garment reproofing. I spose it'd be silly to wax the skis for the second time.
I'm tempted to drive up the hill just to see how bad it is.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Pics of the backcountry all taken at about this time in August. They give some idea of coverage.

2017 From PV road near the gate, looking down Rocky Valley:
Rocky Valley 2017.jpg

2015, taken from near there - at the top of one of the Knolls. Rocky Knobs on the right, Nelse South far left. I noted great coverage of sugar snow. The south slopes weren't sastrugied as they are now.
Knobs from Knolls 2015.jpg

2013 Rocky Knobs and BHP road:
Rocky Knobs from BHP Rd 2013.jpg

2012, Frying Pan Spur and the Fainters:
Frying Pan Spur and Fainters 2012.jpg

Last edited:

Gogeelong

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2009
Any advice on where to buy new ski poles in the morning on the mountain would be appreciated. I am staying at QT.

Conditions today were so good I was daydreaming as I headed into the maze and skied into a rope! What an idiot. Thankfully only thing that broke was a pole!

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Any advice on where to buy new ski poles in the morning on the mountain would be appreciated. I am staying at QT.

Conditions today were so good I was daydreaming as I headed into the maze and skied into a rope! What an idiot. Thankfully only thing that broke was a pole!
You'll need to go to the Bowl or ski through the Village.....Snow Rider at the Hotel, Yogis or Central Snowsports.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Isn't there a shop just up the road from hallways comet on the left? Looking at the map it is in halleys lodge opposite pretty valley lodge

Gogeelong

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2009
Hmmmm might be quicker to just rent some poles for the last two days of this trip.

Does anyone know if shops do this? The place in QT does not have this as an option on its online booking page.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Hmmmm might be quicker to just rent some poles for the last two days of this trip.

Does anyone know if shops do this? The place in QT does not have this as an option on its online booking page.
It would probably take as long to go through the rental process as it would to catch Halley's chair, ski to the bowl/through the Village, grab a pair of poles to buy and then jump on Summit or Inter.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Do you want good poles or just anything will do? If you want something decent then go with @Hully's suggestions - central snowsports, yogi's or snowrider.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
As I posted in response to you in another thread.....
"Yeah, all (except ambo) purchased by peoples gate entry fees by an organisation going backwards at over $3/4 million per year. Buller RMB CEO lost his job because he couldn't afford Nokian tyres and had to rort the system to buy them.:):):thumbs:"
The car that was parked at Road 24 and had a tree fall on it was doing so in order not to have to pay Resort Entry. Most likely a young resort worker who contributes much more to the visitor experience than you ever will.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Need Nokian Rollbars to prevent damage in possible tree fall....
The only advantage that Hotham has is its carparks are free from any tree fall possibility.

Last edited:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I suspect that quite a few businesses may choose not to open in that last week. Numbers will probably be low and staff will have made other arrangements. But there will be enough to enjoy the bonus week

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I suspect that quite a few businesses may choose not to open in that last week. Numbers will probably be low and staff will have made other arrangements. But there will be enough to enjoy the bonus week
They should make entry free for that week. Taking advantage of the second week of school holidays no doubt but it would normally finish about the same time if the October long weekend (NSW) did not fall on the 1/10 so really it should be business as usual. I have not seen other resorts jump onto this as yet but I am sure they will.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They should make entry free for that week. Taking advantage of the second week of school holidays no doubt but it would normally finish about the same time if the October long weekend (NSW) did not fall on the 1/10 so really it should be business as usual. I have not seen other resorts jump onto this as yet but I am sure they will.
usually vic resorts close a week before nsw. once upon a time show day was a public holiday on the thursday and if it was a good season people would make a long weekend of closing. in fact bulle r& hotham sometimes close awek earlier. I can't recall falls closing before that but could well be mistaken

Jun 25, 2017
Sydney
usually vic resorts close a week before nsw. once upon a time show day was a public holiday on the thursday and if it was a good season people would make a long weekend of closing. in fact bulle r& hotham sometimes close awek earlier. I can't recall falls closing before that but could well be mistaken

Closing date does vary a little - last year FC closed on the Sunday of the NSW Long Week End, that is pretty standard as the Victorians don't get this day in October (but have Melbourne Cup or local race days instead).

The snow at FC usually holds up better than Buller due to the orientation of the hill.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Okay, so it looks like +1 and I are going to make a September holiday trip to Falls. Does the Gully chairlift still run as an access lift even if the run going down to it isn't skiable?

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
If the resort is open Gully runs, even if all the other lifts are on wind-hold and the run below it isn't skiable.

However, in shoulder season, if the village is open to vehicles and one can drive up to the bowl it may not run, but then it isn't an issue.

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
There was an article on Miss Snow it All facebook page today that the Eagle Chair redevelopment had go the go ahead. Falls Creek Resort replied that the rumor was true. The article says a high speed, detachable quad and I assume this will shift the alignment to that proposed in the strategic plan.

Reactions: Ziggy

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
There was an article on Miss Snow it All facebook page today that the Eagle Chair redevelopment had go the go ahead. Falls Creek Resort replied that the rumor was true. The article says a high speed, detachable quad and I assume this will shift the alignment to that proposed in the strategic plan.
No. Alignment will be unchanged, just a few metres shorter. FCSL said getting permission for tthe other alignment was going to be too hard. Suspect it may also be cheaper to keep this alignment

Reactions: Angleski

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
No. Alignment will be unchanged, just a few metres shorter. FCSL said getting permission for tthe other alignment was going to be too hard. Suspect it may also be cheaper to keep this alignment
My understanding is that the load will be closer to the maintenance workshop with a building for storing chairs and unload a little lower to provide a larger unload area. I think they would have liked the chair building where the old tennis courts were but this is designated by RMB for a future ice skating rink.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass