News Falls Creek news and chat

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
As a tele skier I'm constantly reminded by alpine skiers that I don't ski normally lol. But seriously, yes, who knows what 2021 will bring.

Last edited:

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
How did you do that, please? I got an email asking me to mail mine back to them but banking it for next year seems like a good idea.
They just credit it to your account- it was one of the options in the application process.

I’ve also got to mail mine back to them.

Just reply email or phone them & they should be able to do it.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It’s sad as our Falls regulars are dropping out one by one :(

At this rate it will be extremely fortunate if the whole state doesn’t close down.

I sense country Vic and interstate have felt somewhat removed from this latest explosion of cases.

But Covid has proven to be a tough bug to suppress. I hope these optimists are correct and can keep skiing in this crappy year / season!

Reactions: Chaeron

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
I took the refund for the season resort entry. Once the Covid case numbers jumped this week, my slender hopes of salvaging something from this season went out the window.

Reactions: Chaeron

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
I took the credit rather than the cash in a spirit of optimistic hope - with an eye on next season... if we get out of lockdown I’ll go up to Falls and hunt out the last remaining square metre of snow - skied on the 2nd of November on Nelse last year...
I ski Cup weekend almost every year at Nelse!
Shorts and t-shirts, nothing better.
Have never seen anyone else skiing out there at that time.
A few years ago I even skiied Christmas day.

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
Cup Day last year - Tues Nov 5.
Tiny snowfall overnight, and a cool breeze meant jackets on, but a lovely day at Nelse.
Very soft snow, but still full cover down to treeline.
Took my son for his first backcountry ski which he did remarkably well on - didn't think he would get up the mountain so quick after each run!
Note the 20 year old Rossi Bandit X rock hoppers still getting some turns in.

Attachments

• IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I ski Cup weekend almost every year at Nelse!
Shorts and t-shirts, nothing better.
Have never seen anyone else skiing out there at that time.
A few years ago I even skiied Christmas day.

She’s a big drift at Nelse - most years! I reckon it may often last longer than the Bogong drifts?

Maybe I don’t to the latter hill nearly enough to prove or refute?

Mt Wills isn’t a bad spot to look at both mounts for a comparison.

One note of caution: as it melts the Nelse drifts can become very steep at the lead / bottom end - almost like a glacier. One needs a good hockey stop or be prepared to jump tele! ;):cool:

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
As far as I know of, Nelse is the last place you can downhill ski each year in Victoria (by 20 years of bc observation).
The snow there is generally still 1m+ in late October and is so soft by that time of year that you are not going fast and stopping is generally not a concern.
Just watch out for the crevasse that forms in the middle of the run (which can be 2m+ deep!) due to the water rushing down the hill underneath.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
seriously, can we keep those pics to the reconditioned conditions thread? I'm happy to post news as I hear it but most of the time I don't want to see pics from happier years

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Yes 2021.. let's hope that can happen..

I have a hold on 10 nights in September for the apartment I like.. deposits due around Xmas or Jan so hopefully news of a vaccine by then...
I don't need ski lifts or chalets. Just let me out into the wild and I will drive up, hike in , skin up, snow camp and BC XC ski until I am spent.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Email just in....

Vail Resorts today announced it will not reopen its lift operations at Hotham and Falls Creek for Spring skiing following the Victorian Government announcement of Stage 4 restrictions for Melbourne and Stage 3 restrictions for regional Victoria for six weeks, amidst continuing challenges associated with the spread of COVID-19.

While it is disappointing to mark the end of the season, we would like to thank our teams who worked incredibly hard to open our resorts this winter. We are focused first and foremost on health and safety, following local health guidelines and doing our part to support efforts across Victoria to address the current COVID-19 health crisis.

If you retained your Epic Australia Pass planning to ski and board late season at Hotham and Falls Creek you may apply for a refund under Epic Coverage at claims@epicaustraliapass.com.au.

We want to thank our loyal guests who made reservations for this winter, for your patience and understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resorts for the 2021 season.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Email just in....

Vail Resorts today announced it will not reopen its lift operations at Hotham and Falls Creek for Spring skiing following the Victorian Government announcement of Stage 4 restrictions for Melbourne and Stage 3 restrictions for regional Victoria for six weeks, amidst continuing challenges associated with the spread of COVID-19.

While it is disappointing to mark the end of the season, we would like to thank our teams who worked incredibly hard to open our resorts this winter. We are focused first and foremost on health and safety, following local health guidelines and doing our part to support efforts across Victoria to address the current COVID-19 health crisis.

If you retained your Epic Australia Pass planning to ski and board late season at Hotham and Falls Creek you may apply for a refund under Epic Coverage at claims@epicaustraliapass.com.au.

We want to thank our loyal guests who made reservations for this winter, for your patience and understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resorts for the 2021 season.

I received that e mail too.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
What will you get?
Forumite selling a Hilleberg Soulo - been wanting one for absolute ages!

Bomber, lightish for its build.

Not that I was intending to build a tent collection, but sits alongside the 2 person Exped Andromeda, green season Mont Moondance one person and the family Salewa Sierra Leone 3-season 3 person.

Along with a lighter pack makes overnight trips viable.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thinking there may be some good bargains coming up.

Ausski had a great price so couldn't say no. And by the times sales comes stock is limited and popular models and lengths usually gone

The MRS got ski boots in May for a great price and she needs skis.. will get her skis hopefully in a later sale or soon given no one is skiing anymore in VIC

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass