News Falls Creek news and chat

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
There's some pretty steep stuff off the back of the Fainters, but you can also find some pretty cruisey areas that we tracked out!
There's no shelter out there, so you are pretty exposed when camping, and the views to The Jaithmathangs are also stunning.
DSC09886.JPG
DSC09911.JPG
DSC09927.JPG

DSC09879.JPG

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
There's some pretty steep stuff off the back of the Fainters, but you can also find some pretty cruisey areas that we tracked out!
There's no shelter out there, so you are pretty exposed when camping, and the views to The Jaithmathangs are also stunning.
DSC09886.JPG
DSC09911.JPG
DSC09927.JPG

DSC09879.JPG

Great pics! I love the burnt snowgum (Naturally! ;)).

Quite Mike Edmondson (Au Jindy fame) - if you don’t mind the comparison?

Reactions: Chaeron

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Got Annums cheap from Rhythm some months ago. They got a top deck ding in transport so I was offered an exchange or another 80 off.

Then Lynx on sale from Telemark Pyrenees.

2nd hand Telebry Safeouts from Axelotta.

Extra shims for those are just about to arrive from the US (shipping costs from there have got ridiculous).

All in time for watch-don't-touch snow.

Reactions: snowgum and Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Got Annums cheap from Rhythm some months ago. They got a top deck ding in transport so I was offered an exchange or another 80 off.

Then Lynx on sale from Telemark Pyrenees.

2nd hand Telebry Safeouts from Axelotta.

Extra shims for those are just about to arrive from the US (shipping costs from there have got ridiculous).

All in time for watch-don't-touch snow.
Similar - new DPS skis form DPS Driver, new Tecnica Cochise 130 DYN boots from aussieskier, and Dynafit ST Rotation 12’s from Snowinn Europe (all at a good price) - shortest season I’ve had in years - but luckier than some... - 1 day at Hotham early on, and then a 2 day trip to Guthega/ Perisher, and another 4 days at Perisher.

Who knows - I might ski in November...

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Mrs No Mates made a double batch on Friday. Crusty on the outside yet slightly gooey on the inside, dusted with icing sugar... Just right, well almost.

Lil No Mates replied 'where are the walnuts? '
I make a pretty good batch. Was going to make some today but SS has hogged the oven with some slow cooked ribs. Looking to now upgrade oven....

Considering what we used to spend on fuel etc driving to the snow, the least I can do is just order more Milch brownies. I wonder how I can get an Elk toastie?

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I make a pretty good batch. Was going to make some today but SS has hogged the oven with some slow cooked ribs. Looking to now upgrade oven....
Brownies or slow cooked ribs? Hmmmm Hard pick. I wouldn't knock either back. We have a double oven.

Reactions: Sadie

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
DSC09886.JPG
DSC09911.JPG
DSC09927.JPG

DSC09879.JPG
Fantastic stuff. A must do trip in 2021 in August !( Insh`Allah). Which way did you approach/access the area where you camped?

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
Fantastic stuff. A must do trip in 2021 in August !( Insh`Allah). Which way did you approach/access the area where you camped?
That 2014 trip was a week long ski tour. Started at Falls Creek, out to Pretty Valley and look around the High Plains for a day (stunning in the middle when all you can see is flat white snow and blue sky), then down to Tawonga Huts for two days and skiing all around The Jaithmathangs. Then across to The Fainters for a few days of bowls skiing. Then down to Bogong village.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
That 2014 trip was a week long ski tour. Started at Falls Creek, out to Pretty Valley and look around the High Plains for a day (stunning in the middle when all you can see is flat white snow and blue sky), then down to Tawonga Huts for two days and skiing all around The Jaithmathangs. Then across to The Fainters for a few days of bowls skiing. Then down to Bogong village.
Fantastic. I just have to do that , no doubt!!.Did you leave a vehicle at the Tennis courts at Bogong Village?Did you take a bus up to Falls Creek?.
What kind of skis, bindings and boots were you using?

Drt

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2018
Diamond Creek
Just be careful going to Bogong village to take the correct road.
Have done a few trips out there only worthwhile in good vis.
We actually took the wrong decent off Fainter North and ended up in Fainter Creek! Had to slog all the way back up up a steep gully. Spring Saddle Track down to Bogong village seemed pretty straightforward when we did it (and no snow down that low) - except for the locked gates and fence that we had to negotiate.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Brownies and caramel slice and other goodies arrived from Milch

2 brownies gone. 2 remaining

Will have to go to a fortnightly order

Reactions: Sadie and Ziggy

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
FCRM have confirmed my resort entry pass has been transferred to next season, with a price freeze so I effectively get next season’s pass at last year’s price.

I have mailed them back my 2020 pass as requested.

Reactions: Goski and skiflat

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
FCRM have confirmed my resort entry pass has been transferred to next season, with a price freeze so I effectively get next season’s pass at last year’s price.

I have mailed them back my 2020 pass as requested.

That's good news at least..

SEJ

Hard Yards
Apr 13, 2011
Yep. Why I went to Buffalo this morning. Preventive strike against cabin fever.
Still skiable? I skied it Sunday afternoon and it was very marginal. (2-3cm at a pinch)Didn’t think it would last.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Curate's egg : we can go up there after the next snowfall V its not rivetting skiing V its free V there is the Reservoir rd .and Skeleton gully.
The Reservoir road is only skiable after a mega dump of snow lower down the mountain. Last season in August 2019 @beefa skiing and I skied the reservoir road. It was the best I have ever seen it or skied it.
See the photo from that ski trip. The snow level was almost up the red strip on the road marker!
Segments of the Mt. McLeod track offer more challenging BC XC skiing if the snow conditions allow. It would not be skiable this season but last season in 2019 it looked the goods.
_SAM5334.JPG

Reactions: Bogong
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass