News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I don’t remember ever seeing so little snow mid August - Falls or Hotham - in 35 years of visiting the alps.
(admittedly I was in the UK for the shocker in 93‘).

It will take a very large dump of snow and sustained overnight freezes to get any sort of base happening in time for a possible escaped from Melbourne mid September?

My heart goes to all the operators and smaller clubs on and in the valleys/city trying to survive summer fires and winter Covid and lock down. The only small positive is if covid cases remain small into next winter then potentially we’ve bundled two potential shockers into one.

On a side note: it would great if the Vic Govt offered some incentives for city folk to visit the hills this summer and next winter -assuming low Covid - but I think they’re too busy dealing with city problems (hotels, testing and aged care) to worry about alpine /valley regional Economies?
2006 would have have been dire without snowmaking. it only really snowed once. last weekend in july so it didn't look this bad on the same date

gov is not totally ignoring tourism recovery here, but won't be top of their priority list

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
18 August 1230pm
fallscreek-cedarwood-21.jpg

Reactions: Chaeron

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
The other towers near Milch (Telstra) and Vodafone and Optus on the oversnow building hopefully get an upgrade too.

The Telstra one received upgrades after last season and wouldn't have been tested heavily this year and won't be :(

The Optus tower on the oversnow building is now getting more 4G capacity. This tower services most of the village and struggle with data speeds in the evenings.. So next year hopefully data speeds will be good in the Village.

Reactions: Chaeron

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
If I didn’t have to hold my shit together to try and work, I’d be rocking back and forth in a corner.
This is the first winter in a very long time , for me and like you and for many other people here, in which skiing has been a TOTAL NO GO. It is a healthy outlet for self realization and fun. We will be back at Falls Creek on planks in 2021 !!.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
This is the first winter in a very long time , for me and like you and for many other people here, in which skiing has been a TOTAL NO GO. It is a healthy outlet for self realization and fun. We will be back at Falls Creek on planks in 2021 !!.
Everyone has their own stress in life. As a tax agent, this is a very busy time of year for me and getting to the snow allows my brain to shut off from work for the weekend. It’s my outlet, like it is for so many others.
Sometimes you take it for granted.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Everyone has their own stress in life. As a tax agent, this is a very busy time of year for me and getting to the snow allows my brain to shut off from work for the weekend. It’s my outlet, like it is for so many others.
Sometimes you take it for granted.

I hear you on that.
Financial planning compliance worker, currently awaiting redundancy payout from Big 4 bank
New bub just past 3 months old
Was very much looking to a week at the snow with my 4 year old, then with a friend, but it just wasn't happening this year.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
People I know who are couch potatoes who do not ski, surf, bushwalk, ocean/pool distance swim and cycle just do not get it in terms of how confined/deprived us skiers are this winter.
Some of them are happy that they can go 5 kms from their front door. That is much further than they ever have gone!.

Anyway back to Falls Creek and skiing....... This web cam link for the Rover Chalet on Bogong High Plains is very interesting and will come in handy in future.
https://bogongwebcam.gunther.com.au/

Reactions: Sadie and skiflat

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Does that thing still run? I’ve haven’t seen the rope on there the last couple of years
I have no idea, but I hope so. I know it was out of action for a couple of years after the 2003 fires, but they got it going again.

BTW. Almost every operator takes the rope off nutcracker tows over summer, so people are only going to see the rope on a tow in winter, never summer.

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
I have no idea, but I hope so. I know it was out of action for a couple of years after the 2003 fires, but they got it going again.

BTW. Almost every operator takes the rope off nutcracker tows over summer, so people are only going to see the rope on a tow in winter, never summer.
The only time I’ve been out there is winter :thumbs:
Nice rock band at the top and sweet little run under it

Reactions: Chaeron and Bogong

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
It is actually not FOMO when everyone else is missing out as well. FOMO is a more of a millennials issue and refers to a need to be included for fear of missing out on something that happens or is said. Sorry, just bored. Waiting for the weather to clear so I can go out for a ski.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
It is actually not FOMO when everyone else is missing out as well. FOMO is a more of a millennials issue and refers to a need to be included for fear of missing out on something that happens or is said. Sorry, just bored. Waiting for the weather to clear so I can go out for a ski.

I'd say FOMO is less of a "millennial's issue" and more of an issue that has been named *by* millennials - you can't tell me that there aren't boomers sitting at home wishing that they could give that grey nomad thing a go.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass