1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Falls Creek news and chat

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Dec 9, 2014.

1. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

2. adventuremum

adventuremum Hard Yards

Was hoping! But looks like it's stay with planned bushwalk at Wilson's Prom for weekend...

3. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

Looks like they buried someone on that table (even has a belly button). :D

Chaeron, djam and Auska like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

No.

5. Noah

Noah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

so last week of nsw holidays now matches vic holidays in 2021 in the first week of July, when it is usually the week after vic holidays end. This ruins my plans for a quiet week on the slopes. It's also not been a good time for snow that early in the season the last few years. How busy is it during the school holiday period usually? I really haven't had much experience of big crowds on the snow, having only skied Thredbo and Perisher in sept/october and Perisher this year during covid restrictions. Very keen to see Falls creek but not keen on big queues. Cheers.

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

2nd week of vic school holidays is often the busiest week of the season. if it's a good season it's not too bad. if it's a poor session with few runs open then it can be pretty crazy.

it's not the best week of the season, but it can be good

Tom from Melbourne, Noah and Chaeron like this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mid week XC skiing at Falls Creek and the BHP is often very quiet ,even in August. I always find a parking spot at Windy Corner day parking for Nordic skiers during the week.

8. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

NSW and VIC holidays at same time will create a lot of demand. Being a pessimist, I would assume there will still need to be some covidsafe density limit. So I don't think the problem will be crowds, but if there is not much snow, the ticket reservation could be an issue (although hopefully a lot less of an issue than this year).

I'd actually be happy if crowded slopes was an issue, would have meant that we nailed this covid thing!

Jonathan_P, currawong and Noah like this.
  9. Noah

Noah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi Tom, yes absolutely right that big crowds would be good news for Australia, and I think all of Victoria will be on the ski slopes after the year we've had this year if it's possible. So I think you're right and we should hope for massive crowds! I'll make a booking and give it a shot anyway. We're keen to see the victorian slopes and we'll do something else if it's too busy (like Mister Tee's non stop XC ski obsession or just walking around if the snow is no good).

Tom from Melbourne and Chaeron like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I hope the border is open and that you won't be stopped and asked for your papers in 2021

#2760 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2020
  11. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Fingers crossed for a good season next year. Apart from any Covid related restrictions, the biggest issue when the VIC and NSW school holidays overlap is the amount of terrain open. In a good year, the crowds are ok. In a poor year with only Drovers/Towers running, then the lift lines are pretty bad

12. currawong

i
    in really bad years they have opened early in school holidays. I've skied till 9:30ish and then called it quits

Tom from Melbourne and Chaeron like this.
  13. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Early lift access for Epic pass holders....

14. currawong

I think that restriction is new, which is fine by me ;)

15. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This year they let everyone catch the early lifts / first tracks.

I don't think that it will be repeated (actually, based on the USA capacity thread I think Epic pass holders will get clear priority for everything next season).

So @Noah I think if you have EPIC everything should be ok.

However, if like me, you have some skiing friends or family without EPIC you may want to keep accommodation as flexible as possible.

EDIT:Having said that, I don't think anyone had a bad word to say about accommodation providers, I know that where I stayed handled it and communicated really well.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  16. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Some very sad news in my email just now

Dear Falls Creek Community,

As you may be aware, local ski racing legend Steve Lee, suffered a debilitating stroke on 6 September this year.

It was 18 hours before Steve made it to hospital from Falls Creek after being discovered on the floor of his home. The amount of time that had elapsed between the stroke occurring and medical assistance meant that the news was not good.

Last week the reality of Steve’s condition begun to set in. The rehab team have confirmed that Steve will need 24/7 care for the rest of his life. Whilst the family hold hope for recovery, they are now planning for the harsh reality that Steve will need much more monetary support than we could ever have imagined. Further from the extensive medical costs that will follow him through his life, he will need modified living arrangements, disability vehicles, ongoing occupational therapy and many more things that our beloved Steve most definitely never budgeted forever needing. While the government, through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) may cover some basics, we are aiming to give Steve life choices & he really needs our help.

To aid in this, Foodworks have added Steve Lee to their 'Spirit of the community' scheme (Number 1096), which is now active in the Mt Beauty and Falls Creek stores.

The Spirit of the Community scheme allows shoppers to donate their points to a community organisation or cause of their choice. Every quarter those points are converted to cash and donated proportionally.

We encourage you to allocate your points to Steve to help him in his long road to recovery. Foodworks will donate the accrued amount directly to his go fund me page each quarter (the next being in November).

In addition to allocating your shopping points, you may also donate directly to Steve's cause #steveleefightback by clicking the button below.

https://asf.org.au/communities/snow-australia/steve-lee-fightback/

soza, Chaeron and Tom from Melbourne like this.
  17. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty