News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
AIUI planning is proceeding for a normal hoppet. i assume it can be adjusted later if necessary.

presumably elite competitors would be allowed into the country - if they can hack the 14 days qt and costs. sometimes they are here for most of the season so it might make sense for some

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
AIUI planning is proceeding for a normal hoppet. i assume it can be adjusted later if necessary.

presumably elite competitors would be allowed into the country - if they can hack the 14 days qt and costs. sometimes they are here for most of the season so it might make sense for some

kiwis should be ok to compete without qt although they would rarely rate a mention in the elites

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Kangaroo Hoppet - Course Map

Looking at the course for the 21 km race event I feel like having a rest already ;-P.

I need to get ski match fitness ASAP !

Hasn't the full 42 km Hoppet course gone out over Rocky Knobs and past Cope hut in earlier years?
The lake loop has not been used for a few years. The snow is more reliable. IIRC it's also easier/safer with less volunteers and Parks were never overjoyed about grooming in part of the lake loop

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Seems day tickets etc will not be available for sale until Late May.

Perisher announced today that Epic pass holders shouldn't need to make a reservation, at this stage.

Planning on running all lessons etc

But prices and details not available until Late May.

Between staffing issues and covid I can understand it.

However, Thredbo and Buller can manage it in the meantime..

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
fallscreek-drovers-dream-3.jpg

Dreamy

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Interesting that Epic pass payments will come out around 1st May, despite not knowing how the resort will operate with lessons etc

I know I won't be paying the final payment until I have lessons and tickets booked for the kids.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Interesting that Epic pass payments will come out around 1st May, despite not knowing how the resort will operate with lessons etc

I know I won't be paying the final payment until I have lessons and tickets booked for the kids.

FWIW; We’ve taken the plunge for the first time ever. I guess it could either way - worthiness?

But, our NZ ‘Escape/ pressure relief valve’ isn’t quite there yet (not with kids), so it’s pretty obvious Aussie is the go.

Looking at all the grief for folks trying to obtain a bed in NSW resorts/Jindy, I’m relieved I joined a Vic ski club a few years ago.

Totally agree with sentiments on this thread - Vail need to get their act together!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Email just came in

https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/passes/we-are-epic-together

Landing_Page_openingEAP.jpg

2021 WINTER EXPERIENCE
PERISHER, FALLS CREEK & HOTHAM OPEN FOR THE WINTER SEASON ON 12 JUNE!
We do not anticipate 2021 Epic Australia Pass holders will need to make reservations to ski or ride at Perisher, Falls Creek or Hotham this season. However, in the event the resorts need to manage capacity to allow for physical distancing, Vail Resorts may manage access through a reservation system that prioritises pass holders.

A full range of lift tickets, snowsports school and rental products for the 2021 season at Perisher, Falls Creek and Hotham, will be available for purchase from late May.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to our resorts this winter!

15945_PSR_L1_WinterExperience_COVID19_Icons_EAP_1200x600px_Apr21.png

As winter approaches, further information will be shared about our operating plans.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

• What lift, lesson and rental products will be available for the 2021 snow season?
    When will lift tickets, lessons and rentals be available to buy online?
    Will there be limited access to lifts and lessons this season?
    How can I book accommodation?
    Will there be Terrain Parks this season?
    Will there be winter events this season?
EPIC AUSTRALIA PASS:
Will reservations be required for Epic Australia Pass holders?
How can I buy an Epic Australia Pass?
When will final balance payments be taken for my Epic Australia Pass?
Have more questions about Epic Australia Pass?

HEALTH & SAFETY:
How are you protecting the health and safety of guests, employees and resort communities?
What will you do if there is a COVID-19 case detected in resort?

REFUNDS AND CANCELLATION POLICY
What is your cancellation policy?

FURTHER QUESTIONS
Please contact our Epic Australia Pass experts at info@epicaustraliapass.com.au with any additional questions.

© 2021 Perisher Blue Pty Ltd.
Shop Epic Australia Pass Terms & Conditions Contact us
upi

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
FWIW; We’ve taken the plunge for the first time ever. I guess it could either way - worthiness?

But, our NZ ‘Escape/ pressure relief valve’ isn’t quite there yet (not with kids), so it’s pretty obvious Aussie is the go.

Looking at all the grief for folks trying to obtain a bed in NSW resorts/Jindy, I’m relieved I joined a Vic ski club a few years ago.

Totally agree with sentiments on this thread - Vail need to get their act together!

Yeah it will likely all be fine but hard to have confidence in Vail...

The Falls Creek version

https://www.skifalls.com.au/whats-on/latest-news/covid-19-season-update

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What does that mean for the extra day tickets that you get with the Epic pass (do you still get extra tickets)?
IIRC it was a Merlin thing, not a Vail thing. Vail have "bring a mate"

Bring a Mate discount invitations: Guests will receive 6 invites for discounted, 1 day lift tickets valid across Perisher, Falls Creek or Hotham to share with your mates and when they buy online in advance, they can save up to 50%.​

IIRC the discount varies a fair bit and is SFA at peak times. 50% is probably midweek in early June

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The lake loop has not been used for a few years. The snow is more reliable. IIRC it's also easier/safer with less volunteers and Parks were never overjoyed about grooming in part of the lake loop

Parks don’t seem to like skiing Curra? Happens at Gwinear I hear?

Thinking of NSW PWS, It really should be a part of what they do? Grooming? Facilitating skier access? :rolleyes: At least on their own land.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Parks don’t seem to like skiing Curra? Happens at Gwinear I hear?

Thinking of NSW PWS, It really should be a part of what they do? Grooming? Facilitating skier access? :rolleyes: At least on their own land.
I think parks are petty supportive of xc skiing at falls/bhp. some parks employees are petty keen xc skiers (esp someone who has just joined them recently). grooming here is the responsibility of rmb, not parks. some brining is on the resort, some in the park, needing parks approval. AIUI there are some sections of the old lake loop that they thought were too environmentally sensitive to groom.

I guess at places like gwinear money is an issue and xc grooming is not a high enough priority. even lake mountain suffers from that.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I think parks are petty supportive of xc skiing at falls/bhp. some parks employees are petty keen xc skiers (esp someone who has just joined them recently). grooming here is the responsibility of rmb, not parks. some brining is on the resort, some in the park, needing parks approval. AIUI there are some sections of the old lake loop that they thought were too environmentally sensitive to groom.

I guess at places like gwinear money is an issue and xc grooming is not a high enough priority. even lake mountain suffers from that.

Interesting. I guess when cover is thin, grooming harms vegetation. Spagnum beds would be in that category (risk) - maybe the lake loop has more Spagnum than up at Heathy?

Yes, money is always a problem in our Parks, generally. But we’ll happily fund the ‘big’ sport events and stadiums. Keeps the majority happy. (Go the Dons by the way!) :p

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

I could say the same for Mt. Buffalo when it is skiable. At least The Horn road usually gets a Skidoo dragged over it .At least when snow camping at JB Hut you know if there is enough snow then Hotham management will groom the route between Dinner Plain and Wire Plain.

Reactions: snowgum

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
fallscreek-cedarwood-32.jpg

Nice

Email today about the epic pass, reminding me about the final payment.

Won't be updating my details from an old credit card, until full resort operations are announced.

Reactions: Chaeron

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
fallscreek-cedarwood-32.jpg

Nice

Email today about the epic pass, reminding me about the final payment.

Won't be updating my details from an old credit card, until full resort operations are announced.
Careful. You’ll end up paying full tote to buy again.

Reactions: skiflat

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Interesting that capacity is still seen as a big risk. I would have thought that capacity would only be an issue if there was another outbreak, and in that case you'd cancel the event.

Reactions: skiflat and Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
So confrmed now that the old Elk restaurant will be no more

https://elkatfalls.com.au/elk-restaurant.html

Bob sugar is moving in..reviews from their Torquay restaurant look great.

Running breakfast, lunch and dinner and the apartment 3 bar too

Can't wait to try them out along with the smokehouse and Astra.
let's hope so. doing reasonably good food in the snow can be a tough gig with different challenges to cities and resorts in other areas. barry had it nailed

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
let's hope so. doing reasonably good food in the snow can be a tough gig with different challenges to cities and resorts in other areas. barry had it nailed
I’m really sad. Elk was always our Queens Birthday tradition (we also spent a bit of time there during season as well) where we would have our first toastie of the year.

Best and safest Gluten Free options on the hill as Barry is also Coeliac and knows what needs to be done and what is good and what isn’t.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've heard that befood has sold but not what will replace it.

someplace else is having a change of style but not sure what to

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
So still hit or miss depending upon which way the wind blows?

I would never say that personally!

Always been outstanding on my visits and friendly each time

Only issue was when the EFTPOS was playing up due to network issues and I had to wait around to pay for 10 minutes... Despite being there daily for about a week..it was only 2 coffees...

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What about the Pretty Valley road??
I'm hoping to get up next weekend.
I think the announcement is to warn people trying to travel across the top to get to/from fc. It says they will reassess tomorrow.

So guessing that pretty valley rd will depend on what falls and how fast it melts.
If you mean this weekend, as in tomorrow, then maybe 50/50. If you mean the following weekend then probably ok.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass