News Falls Creek news and chat

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
Following W/E
No chains but the Sorrento is 4WD and I've had no problems in past years It's the Bosses car and she hates the snow and won't contemplate spending money on chains for it

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
looks like GAR is shut tomorrow too
==============================

actually what I saw was about within myrtleford. detour because centre of town is shut for a festival

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
BHP rd from dam wall to trapyard will be closed at 5pm today in anticipation of snow
That is because it is Friday and nobody wants to go out on the weekend. But seriously, what are we looking at? 7cm accumulated. First car through would break tracks to the bitumen. As long as it opens on Monday morning.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
fallscreek-cedarwood-33.jpg

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Only because it is now a council maintained road. When Vic Roads managed BHP road they would keep it open after a little dump. Trouble is now if the road is not passable by 2wd then it has to be closed and the surface cannot take a heavy plough. My gripe is they are too lazy to open it up again when the season is close and the snow is gone. Even when there is no snow at the start of the season the road gets closed for no good reason. Should have left it dirt.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Not sure snow falls yesterday blanketed anything much. Bogong wasn't blanketed yesterday and what fell in the morning was melting by early afternoon. Certainly a bit more this morning and probably enough to stop a little car or motorbike from travelling BHP road. Temps are going to stay low for a couple more days so man made snow could have some chance of sustaining if they keep firing the guns but we are back to the positives from Monday.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Due to the current conditions, further road closures are now in place within the resort.

CURRENT ROAD CLOSURES:
• Pretty Valley Road
• Road 24
• Mt McKay Rd
• Bogong High Plains Road between Rocky Valley Dam Wall and Trapyard Flat

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
call me cynical but i doubt that they have started snowmaking in earnest
maybe testing the system
maybe purely for marketing

snow made this early nearly always gets washed away. maybe the forecast is particularly favourable - i haven't checked
They are certainly making snow, but I am not sure what the strategy is either. Trying to open early?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They are certainly making snow, but I am not sure what the strategy is either. Trying to open early?
good on them. i'm pleased to be wrong on that.

I doubt that they would be aiming to open early - that's actually a bit of a nightmare. works for buller but not so much falls & hotham.

Getting 70 -100cm down on wombats, main st and mousetrap is always the top priority. if they think the weather forecast is good enough, that will be their first goal. then add drovers and as much of highway that they can reach. then start on ruined & scotts

Reactions: Warlock_01

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I guess I'll be walking in to Pretty Valley then. Bummer
I can see that they have blocked off slalom st. that would not necessarily mean that mckay rd would also be blocked at wombats. various operational things still need road access if possible.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
good on them. i'm pleased to be wrong on that.

I doubt that they would be aiming to open early - that's actually a bit of a nightmare. works for buller but not so much falls & hotham.

Getting 70 -100cm down on wombats, main st and mousetrap is always the top priority. if they think the weather forecast is good enough, that will be their first goal. then add drovers and as much of highway that they can reach. then start on ruined & scotts
They’ve already started on Drovers too!

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
I can see that they have blocked off slalom st. that would not necessarily mean that mckay rd would also be blocked at wombats. various operational things still need road access if possible.
I'll see what happens, in past years but with a different operator of the lift company I have been allowed to "Sneak" through for a day. Drop stuff off, drive back to Windy Corner and walk back to do the stash and set-up.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Does anyone know what the go is with booking? If you book out all weekends of the season and don’t rock up?

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
So seems snowclub for 3 to 5 year olds is only running half day sessions this year

Same for 6 to 14 year olds

Website has been updated :(

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yes, yes it is..

Will get a babysitter one day so mum and I can have a long lunch but other days will be pick up at 1, quick ski and then lunch together and a ski in the afternoon

I'm just glad the season seems to be a goer

We found it’s not easy combining skiing and kid (1) in the same trip. The sproggy needs are just different to our adult ski needs. Gets slowly easier, unless like with our 12 YO, they claim they’ll alpine ski under sufferance. And no XC at all!

Threatening to ‘leave him behind wth Grandma’ for a week/weekend helps to quell that sentiment, for a while at least...? :rolleyes:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
We found it’s not easy combining skiing and kid (1) in the same trip. The sproggy needs are just different to our adult ski needs. Gets slowly easier, unless like with our 12 YO, they claim they’ll alpine ski under sufferance. And no XC at all!

Threatening to ‘leave him behind wth Grandma’ for a week/weekend helps to quell that sentiment, for a while at least...? :rolleyes:

Yes it's not ideal but I'll take it over no snow at all. For me the best skiing is from first lifts to lunch anyways.

We have a 3 year old and 6 year old

The 6 year old already skis easy blues, well she did 2 years ago, so after a day or two she will be fine to ski with me a bit..

The 3 year old, first time lessons, so by 1pm even on the last days I doubt he will want to ski after his lesson

Reactions: snowgum

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Lift tickets, rentals, and lessons for 12 June to 4 July, on sale from tomorrow!

Do we need to book (reserve) days for lift if we have EPIC pass?

Also really interested to see if the lift/lessons sell out.

Hopefully it's not the click stress of last year!

EDIT: Found this on EPIC website:

"We do not anticipate 2021 Epic Australia Pass holders will need to make reservations to ski or ride at Hotham, Falls Creek or Perisher this season. However, in the event the resorts need to manage capacity to allow for physical distancing, Vail Resorts may manage access through a reservation system that prioritises pass holders."

https://www.mthotham.com.au/lift-pass/season-pass/epic-australia-pass-2021

So I think it's just lessons that need to be booked.

Last edited:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Do we need to book (reserve) days for lift if we have EPIC pass?

Also really interested to see if the lift/lessons sell out.

Hopefully it's not the click stress of last year!

EDIT: Found this on EPIC website:

"We do not anticipate 2021 Epic Australia Pass holders will need to make reservations to ski or ride at Hotham, Falls Creek or Perisher this season. However, in the event the resorts need to manage capacity to allow for physical distancing, Vail Resorts may manage access through a reservation system that prioritises pass holders."

https://www.mthotham.com.au/lift-pass/season-pass/epic-australia-pass-2021

So I think it's just lessons that need to be booked.

No official news on if we need to book days for epic pass usage yet..

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I interpret as no need to book unless Gov regs change. or possibly if very little is open for school holidays because of poor cover.

Yes or depending how many day and multi day tickets they sell.

I think the real issue will be crowding in places like Cloud 9, unless they have a reservation system.

NB: I'm sure they will manage it well :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass