Aug 10, 1999
Temps touch and go down lower.

Falls doing OK still

fallscreek-cedarwood-43.jpg

Noah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Do people still think the skiing will be bad this weekend? We went skiing at Perisher after a similar easterly dump of heavy snow and I still enjoyed it. Do people know if much of the lifts will be open this weekend? Do they usually just open the main run for opening weekend? I know from last year it took a little while to prep the slopes after snow like this.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Do people still think the skiing will be bad this weekend? We went skiing at Perisher after a similar easterly dump of heavy snow and I still enjoyed it. Do people know if much of the lifts will be open this weekend? Do they usually just open the main run for opening weekend? I know from last year it took a little while to prep the slopes after snow like this.
I know we’d enjoy ourselves this weekend if we could go. They’ll have Express running and I’d say probably Towers. It’s just nice to be up there opening weekend.

Reactions: Noah and Chaeron

Noah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
booked at les chalets. Just missed a better place as I was about to book. I think Les chalets is near haley's commet. Is that lift usually open?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
booked at les chalets. Just missed a better place as I was about to book. I think Les chalets is near haley's commet. Is that lift usually open?
Also know as Falls Express it’s normally the first to open besides the Village (Gully) Chair as it’s the main access in early season before Eagle or Summit lifts open later when there’s more snow.

Takes you to to the ski school area and gives you access to Wombats Ramble which ends back at the bottom and also to the main blue/ green runs served by Drovers Dream and Towers lifts on the other side.

Check out the Falls website/ Ap….

70A0FFB7-2E09-4ADD-848A-1477B68C7A38.jpeg

Noah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Also know as Falls Express it’s normally the first to open besides the Village (Gully) Chair as it’s the main access in early season before Eagle or Summit lifts open later when there’s more snow.

Takes you to to the ski school area and gives you access to Wombats Ramble which ends back at the bottom and also to the main blue/ green runs served by Drovers Dream and Towers lifts on the other side.

Check out the Falls website/ Ap….
Cheers, yep saw trail map but I thought the 'express' as stated by Sadie would have been Eagle express. So Les Chalets is right at the base of the main lift? That's a bit brilliant.

Krush

First Runs
Jun 10, 2021
Hi all, would someone be able to give a rough guide as to how much snow depth is usually needed before Scott's and Ruined open? Is there much chance of this happening by ~25th June without a freak June snowfall or still most likely looking at just Halley's, Drover's and Towers? End of school holidays by then so perhaps the guns would have managed to build up a fair bit as well weather permitting.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hi all, would someone be able to give a rough guide as to how much snow depth is usually needed before Scott's and Ruined open? Is there much chance of this happening by ~25th June without a freak June snowfall or still most likely looking at just Halley's, Drover's and Towers? End of school holidays by then so perhaps the guns would have managed to build up a fair bit as well weather permitting.
@currawong traditionally answers this question…. You could also take a look at previous years’ (2017/8/9) threads - use the Search function and type in Ruined Castle… :cool:

Will need another decent snowfall - snowmaking won’t do it…

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/falls-creek-2017-trip-reports-pics-conditions.77266/post-3323748

Frequently 1st week of July

Last edited:
Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Assuming that Vail continue the approach of previous owners

first priority is to get a good base on towers (main street) and wombats rambler, closely followed by drovers

next is to get ruined and Scott's open. this can also be achieved on snowmaking alone if Ullr doesn't deliver. that's assuming that snowmaking conditions are ok. they move heaven and earth to very these open by start of vic school holidays. iirc that's what your 25 June refers to. the only thing that gets on the easy of achieving this is if it's too warm or humid/wet to make snow.

ruined needs a little less than Scotts but they need scotts to get to and from ruined. in very lean years they have been known to use vehicles to get people to and from.

Vail have upgraded snowmaking on towers, and wombats I think. a side effect of this is more air capacity to make snow elsewhere.

they have made a good start on towers, wombats and drovers and now a nice natural fall. so things are looking promising for ruined and scotts

so the simple answer is that they need 0cm of natural to get them open. LOL 50cm is probably is what is needed either way.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Assuming that Vail continue the approach of previous owners

first priority is to get a good base on towers (main street) and wombats rambler, closely followed by drovers

next is to get ruined and Scott's open. this can also be achieved on snowmaking alone if Ullr doesn't deliver. that's assuming that snowmaking conditions are ok. they move heaven and earth to very these open by start of vic school holidays. iirc that's what your 25 June refers to. the only thing that gets on the easy of achieving this is if it's too warm or humid/wet to make snow.

ruined needs a little less than Scotts but they need scotts to get to and from ruined. in very lean years they have been known to use vehicles to get people to and from.

Vail have upgraded snowmaking on towers, and wombats I think. a side effect of this is more air capacity to make snow elsewhere.

they have made a good start on towers, wombats and drovers and now a nice natural fall. so things are looking promising for ruined and scotts

so the simple answer is that they need 0cm of natural to get them open. LOL 50cm is probably is what is needed either way.
Will International run this weekend ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sadie and Chaeron

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
Not a bad opening, From FB:
A bird’s
1f985.png
eye view from yesterday at Falls Creek as we slide into winter mode.
26c4.png
2744.png
We’ll have Halley's Comet, Towers, Drovers Dream lifts plus Mouse Trap Carpet open for skiing & boarding tomorrow.
26f7.png
1f3c2.png
Eagle Express and Gully chairs will open for access to the Village bowl and Cloud 9.
1f60d.png
Get ready to shred Main Street, Drover‘s Dream and Wombats Ramble. We can't wait until our guests from Melbourne can join us once travel is allowed.
1f64c.png
Keep an eye on our Snow Report for more info:
bit.ly/FallsSnowReport

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Just had to format it better..

We’ll have
Halley’s Comet,
Towers,
Drovers Dream,
Mouse Trap Carpet

Eagle Express,
Gully chairs For access to the Village Bowl and Cloud 9.

Reactions: Chaeron

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Not a bad opening, From FB:
A bird’s
1f985.png
eye view from yesterday at Falls Creek as we slide into winter mode.
26c4.png
2744.png
We’ll have Halley's Comet, Towers, Drovers Dream lifts plus Mouse Trap Carpet open for skiing & boarding tomorrow.
26f7.png
1f3c2.png
Eagle Express and Gully chairs will open for access to the Village bowl and Cloud 9.
1f60d.png
Get ready to shred Main Street, Drover‘s Dream and Wombats Ramble. We can't wait until our guests from Melbourne can join us once travel is allowed.
1f64c.png
Keep an eye on our Snow Report for more info:
bit.ly/FallsSnowReport
:cry_ubb:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Cheers, yep saw trail map but I thought the 'express' as stated by Sadie would have been Eagle express. So Les Chalets is right at the base of the main lift? That's a bit brilliant.
Yes, Les Chalets is very well located for a number of reasons. Good score! I am booked in there later in August. Very close to base of main lift (for that side of mountain) and ticket office. Almost ski-in/out. A bonus imo is that you don't need to use oversnow transport, which can be time consuming and costly, esp at end of a long drive. You can park briefly in the short term car park near the admin office (parking supervisors will point you in that direction) and unload your stuff and haul it up to Les Chalets (50-100 metres depending). I think they have a sled you can borrow. Then move car. Close to shops, bars, some restaurants and the shuttle bus if you want to head up to Windy Corner for xc trails, toboggan (!) or touring options. A hike to the pub and the ski bowl but there are other ways to get around, once you suss out the village.

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
From the XC report page on the Falls Creek Resort Management site, "XC trails will not be groomed over the Queen's Birthday long weekend. Once the conditions improve grooming will take place."
Update on the Falls Creek Resort Management site in the xc report "Welcome to 2021! Fresh snow earlier in the week has allowed the Husky out to start off the cross country season! Cover is very limited though with minimal snow on the lower trail network. The main skiable trails are in the McKay area and up pretty valley road from AGL corner to McKay loop. Snow is disappearing fast though with warm temps so first in best dressed ;) The McKay loop was completed but the north side was extremely thin and the best skiing will be in the protected areas. Enjoy!"

Noah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Shit, sorry…. Bad habit calling it Express as Eagle is Eagle… sorrryyyyy eek
No worries at all, I like the confusing nomenclature.

Got in to Falls a couple of hours ago, nice drive from Wodonga, felt heaps long getting to that point but need to be broken in for ski season driving. Misty but not so cold and went out for a walk before a bit dribbling stuff got us all retreating back to the flat. Pretty incredible being on the snow. Village looks nice, we didn't quite get to the bowl before the dribbling started. Any nice places for family meals etc?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Was talking to friends about eateries at Falls. I think there is a bit of an emerging problem. With all the uncertainty and restrictions that covid has brought, some places are shifting their focus to more upmarket food or just less family friendly. From what I've heard (apologies for any errors)
  • Be Food is closed completely
  • Bob Sugar (Elk) doesn't seem to have any kid friendly dishes
  • Someplace Else is now a set price 2 course dinner, previously focused on burgers
  • Summit Ridge is an expensive degustation only, at least on busy nights
I can understand why the businesses might think it's a good idea to increase the income per head, but IMHO they are cutting their own throats by pissing off families.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Was talking to friends about eateries at Falls. I think there is a bit of an emerging problem. With all the uncertainty and restrictions that covid has brought, some places are shifting their focus to more upmarket food or just less family friendly. From what I've heard (apologies for any errors)
  • Someplace Else is now a set price 2 course dinner, previously focused on burgers
I can understand why the businesses might think it's a good idea to increase the income per head, but IMHO they are cutting their own throats by pissing off families.

Was going to post on this actually as all the menus have gone up.

Not the best menus TBH

I've lost interest in Astra.

We will still visit The Chophouse, Astra and Bob though

With the kids Milch.....

On and hope those in Melbourne like nose swabs to visit

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

Added to this, sadly for punters they will be so busy anyway they won't care.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Was going to post on this actually as all the menus have gone up.

Not the best menus TBH

I've lost interest in Astra.

We will still visit The Chophouse, Astra and Bob though

With the kids Milch.....

On and hope those in Melbourne like nose swabs to visit
Chophouse is a ripper. We had a great night there for a few years ago with other forumites.
Also another great evening with our band “Moneyshot” @Slide Sideways @SuskiQ and spatto

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Actually Windy Corner and Gateway are good.
I was talking about evening meals as much if not more than lunch.
Gateway is called Alpine Pepper now, run by the people who bought Attunga a few years ago. I have only eaten there in summer - nice paninis. Presumably a wider choice in winter. I have it on good authority that Helen will be supplying them with her renowned vanilla slices.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I have it on good authority that Helen will be supplying them with her renowned vanilla slices.
Hopefully that continues in summer too. Probably the most sadly missed item when the Gateway closed. Had a lunch at Mountain Pepper and it was good value for a quick eat. Nice people serving.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Hopefully that continues in summer too. Probably the most sadly missed item when the Gateway closed. Had a lunch at Mountain Pepper and it was good value for a quick eat. Nice people serving.
I think Michael & Helen (past owners who made the place what it was) live elsewhere in summer

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I was talking about evening meals as much if not more than lunch.
Gateway is called Alpine Pepper now, run by the people who bought Attunga a few years ago. I have only eaten there in summer - nice paninis. Presumably a wider choice in winter. I have it on good authority that Helen will be supplying them with her renowned vanilla slices.
Yum, I love a good vanilla slice! I must call in on my trip! :thumbs::cool:

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I think Michael & Helen (past owners who made the place what it was) live elsewhere in summer
Stood in line at the Post office in Wodonga with Michael. I don't think he would know who I am but we would stop in there for coffee and vanilla slice. We would even call beforehand to make sure she had some put away.

Medicine_Shoes

Addicted
Dec 9, 2018
Does anybody here know if there is anywhere near Falls where sleeping in your car is tolerated? I would be keen on driving up from Melbourne on Friday after work, sleeping in my car somewhere and then heading to Falls first thing in the morning.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
how near?
mountain creek camping ground at the foot of mt bogong is certainly ok. Turn left in Tawonga and drive ~10km to the end of the bitumen. Nothing really in Mt Beauty or on the road past there

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
how near?
mountain creek camping ground at the foot of mt bogong is certainly ok. Turn left in Tawonga and drive ~10km to the end of the bitumen. Nothing really in Mt Beauty or on the road past there
At the top of the Tawonga Gap between Germantown and Tawonga take the ridge road - a couple of nice spots off the side about 500m in.

Along Camp Creek Road towards Harrietville there are multiple nice spots to camp too.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Heading to Falls with the younger son on Saturday from Melbourne, with Covid negative test in hand after queuing for 2 hours today, season entry pass and printed entry intentions form on the dash and the Epic pass in the arm pocket. Half Zeneca’d and also flu vaccinated too!

Staying a couple of days in Mt Beauty, and then probably heading to Perisher for another few days having completed and printed the NSW Entry Declaration Form (only 48 hours before!) and having booked NSW Parks campsites and with the Kosci annual pass also on the dash.

I never thought that living under a repressive apartheid regime which had a pass system or working as a bureaucrat in Japan would come in so useful when it came to pursuing my love for skiing. (Of course - all said in jest - we’re lucky to be alive and we need to best this pandemic).

After all this effort I better think about getting some wax on the skis as well - almost forgot!

There might even be snow!

Reactions: snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass