News Falls Creek news and chat

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Maybe regional people shouldn’t be able to travel on public transport to Melbourne for work and then be free to go back to regional to roam free and head up to the Alpine areas and not have to be tested.
The whole thing is a cock up.
Whatever happens it is going to be a test for the whole state. There are so many things that can go wrong. One slip up and the season could be cancelled. One person thinking selfishly and COVID could spread over a much broader area. It will also be a huge test for the resorts.

Reactions: Chaeron and Sadie

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Whatever happens it is going to be a test for the whole state. There are so many things that can go wrong. One slip up and the season could be cancelled. One person thinking selfishly and COVID could spread over a much broader area. It will also be a huge test for the resorts.
Yep, COVID test everyone

Reactions: Scott No Mates

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Yep, COVID test everyone
I am with you on this. A bit of solidarity with Melbourne people from the regions. Travel is unrestricted now so the whole state should be included if they want to go to resorts. Unfortunately the resorts can't make their own call on this. I do think a negative test 72 hours old is not a guarantee but better than no test. Act like you have it and like everyone else does also. People are getting slack. There is a huge investment in this season already.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I am with you on this. A bit of solidarity with Melbourne people from the regions. Travel is unrestricted now so the whole state should be included if they want to go to resorts. Unfortunately the resorts can't make their own call on this. I do think a negative test 72 hours old is not a guarantee but better than no test. Act like you have it and like everyone else does also. People are getting slack. There is a huge investment in this season already.
where would you draw the line?
people staying off mountain have to be tested before they leave melbourne but not while staying in other valley towns. I assume you are not saying that should change. do you think residents of those towns should be tested for day trips? daily work? if not, where to you start requiring tests? outside the shires that surround the resorts? east gippy extends a long way from omeo. or postcodes? or a radius that confuses everyone?

i'm not completely opposed to the concept but i fail to see a sensible way of implementing it. and the gain for pain equation would be pretty poor

Wayne_O

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2011
Funkytown
I'll make sure my Negative test stays clear, by keeping my cars A/C on 'Recirc' whilst driving through the Northern Melbourne suburbs on my way to the Alpine Resorts. ;)

Reactions: Hully

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
people staying off mountain have to be tested before they leave melbourne but not while staying in other valley towns. I assume you are not saying that should change. do you think residents of those towns should be tested for day trips? daily work? if not, where to you start requiring tests? outside the shires that surround the resorts? east gippy extends a long way from omeo. or postcodes? or a radius that confuses everyone?

i'm not completely opposed to the concept but i fail to see a sensible way of implementing it. and the gain for pain equation would be pretty poor
I understand how problematic all this would be but it will only take one positive travelling to Falls to stuff the whole season. East Gippsland is big but more of a problem for Hotham than Falls. I get your point though. It will be a struggle for FCRM to manage as is but if people do not do the right thing and a resort is responsible (only in terms of the person being there) for the spread (which would trigger probably trigger a statewide lockdown) the season would be over. Probably enough COVID chatter on this. Don't want to turn this into another COVID thread. Just hoping people can make some money and others have some fun.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne

If you travel to metro Melbourne, test. Simple. None of this living in regional rubbish. Regional people do more travel during the week than I do.
Either that or anywhere 150km from Melbourne. That catches Ballarat and Bendigo. I’m not sure many people further than 150km would travel to metro Melbourne on a regular basis, but I know people from Ballarat and Bendigo that do.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
If you travel to metro Melbourne, test. Simple. None of this living in regional rubbish. Regional people do more travel during the week than I do.
Either that or anywhere 150km from Melbourne. That catches Ballarat and Bendigo. I’m not sure many people further than 150km would travel to metro Melbourne on a regular basis, but I know people from Ballarat and Bendigo that do.
I think they have gone for addresses on drivers licences as the blunt instrument of how to tell who is exempt. No way of telling if people live regional and work metro. Could still make it the rule but compliance would be pretty sketchy.

A list of LGAs or postcodes within 150km of Melbourne might do it.

+1 used to do a weekly commute to Melb from up here, often by train. There were plenty of faces that showed up regularly. As a % of population though, it is tiny.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I think they have gone for addresses on drivers licences as the blunt instrument of how to tell who is exempt. No way of telling if people live regional and work metro. Could still make it the rule but compliance would be pretty sketchy.

+1 used to do a weekly commute to Melb from up here, often by train. There were plenty of faces that showed up regularly. As a % of population though, it is tiny.
Lots of people commute from Bendigo. We have the vline going through town and it’s packed in the mornings. I think 150km radius makes perfect sense.

Reactions: currawong

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Going to Falls this year for the first time in 20 years. My concern is that there is now a shuttle. Wouldnt that ruin the ski in/ski out thing as the shuttle would clear snow from the road?

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Going to Falls this year for the first time in 20 years. My concern is that there is now a shuttle. Wouldnt that ruin the ski in/ski out thing as the shuttle would clear snow from the road?
No, there are actually different shuttle types - one drives along the Bogong High Plains road, the other operates within the village oversnow. Yes it does tend to mash up the snow covered road, but it is still skiable

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

they do mash it up but not noticeably worse than the oversnows that have run forever. when there is snow on the road the village shuttles are part of the oversnow fleet that was upgraded some years ago. vans when the roads are clear.

the BHP road shuttle between gully and windy corner always uses vans

dickyknees63

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
I'll be in Falls for the first time in many a year from Sun 11 July - Fri 16 July, with my daughter, son and my son's girlfriend. Can't wait to get back to the place where my now 18yo daughter learnt to ski when 3! Question - what is the situation re local restaurants and dining out options in terms of Covid impact? How restricted are venues re numbers? Should I book ahead for a couple of nights out? How easy will it be as things currently stand to get a table? Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'll be in Falls for the first time in many a year from Sun 11 July - Fri 16 July, with my daughter, son and my son's girlfriend. Can't wait to get back to the place where my now 18yo daughter learnt to ski when 3! Question - what is the situation re local restaurants and dining out options in terms of Covid impact? How restricted are venues re numbers? Should I book ahead for a couple of nights out? How easy will it be as things currently stand to get a table? Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance.
book ahead
capacity is limited and it's expected to be an issue. I haven't looked up the details, sorry
some places will also be doing takeaway as away of catering for more people

Reactions: dickyknees63

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
There goes our trip to Falls Creek (obviously a reasonable move by Vic and people missing ski trips is not end of the world or anything close to it):

Victoria's Chief Health Officer has declared seven local government areas in New South Wales as red zones, effective from 1:00am on Wednesday, June 23.

Victorian residents who have been in a red zone can obtain a permit to re-enter the state but must quarantine at home for 14 days.

Non-Victorian residents cannot enter the state if they have been in a red zone.

Travellers who have passed through a red zone without stopping can apply for an entry permit.

The seven declared regions are:

• City of Sydney
  • Waverley
  • Woollahra
  • Bayside
  • Canada Bay
  • Inner West
  • Randwick
Wollongong has also been declared an orange zone. Travellers who have been in orange zones can apply to enter Victoria, but must get tested and isolate until receiving a negative result.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
Unfortunately I've been to some red zones too but don't live in one. Filled up the car tonight in the Inner-west, went to relative's home on the weekend.

Daughter works in the Innerwest.

My nephew (lives in Waverley LGA) didn't attend as he lives in a hotspot.

I'll now cancel my trip :headbang:

• Sad

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016

Just on this, they clearly have a list of postcodes that are acceptable. On weekend I went up to Falls, negative Covid test in hand. I was travelling with a friend who lives in Wallan, post code 37.. Classed as regional. Get to gate, check my friends ID, you are in 37.. so fine, he pointed out as we left the gate, Mernda is postcode 37.. and classed as metro..

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Just on this, they clearly have a list of postcodes that are acceptable. On weekend I went up to Falls, negative Covid test in hand. I was travelling with a friend who lives in Wallan, post code 37.. Classed as regional. Get to gate, check my friends ID, you are in 37.. so fine, he pointed out as we left the gate, Mernda is postcode 37.. and classed as metro..
If that’s the case, we’d get through on 34..

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Dear Falls Creek Community,

Due to forecast snowfall in the coming days the following arrangements will be applied:
  • Access to the village will be closed to wheeled vehicles from 5pm Friday 2nd July 2021. All vehicles must be removed from the village by this time.
  • Parking arrangements remain per previously advised: authorised (red) permits in Lower Slalom, staff (purple) and residents (blue) permits in Lower Windy carpark. Please do not park in day parking areas overnight as this impacts snow clearing operations.
At this stage village roads will not be cleared until further assessment post storm. Please ensure you are ready to activate your oversnow vehicles, including all necessary permits, as soon as possible.
Kind Regards,
Falls Creek Resort Management

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
For visitors from NSW :mad:
C14982B9-CFF1-445E-8C58-A5904AFC5E1E.jpeg

Reactions: Dave Clark

Gogeelong

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2009
Does anyone know if you can still reload lift tickets at the end of the day for the next day and pick up the multiday discount in doing so?

Decided to do a quick trip Mon, Tues and possibly Wednesday but didn't want to commit to the third day right now.

Thanks in advance.

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
When you arrive at Buller you are directed to your car park first, then a shuttle takes you and your gear to the lodge.
At Hotham there is no direction. You have to know where to park to unload your gear first, then one of you takes the skidoo and gear to the lodge and the other person has to know where to drive to find an overnight park. Then you get the bus back to near wear you are staying.
What's the detail at Falls please for overnight parking?

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
When you arrive at Buller you are directed to your car park first, then a shuttle takes you and your gear to the lodge.
At Hotham there is no direction. You have to know where to park to unload your gear first, then one of you takes the skidoo and gear to the lodge and the other person has to know where to drive to find an overnight park. Then you get the bus back to near wear you are staying.
The staff at accommodation transfer terminal would lead you to an overnight car park and take you back to ATT. https://www.skifalls.com.au/discover-falls-creek/plan-your-trip/parking

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

The staff at accommodation transfer terminal would lead you to an overnight car park and take you back to ATT. https://www.skifalls.com.au/discover-falls-creek/plan-your-trip/parking

If your accommodation is walkable from the day parks you can tell them as much (we did this when staying at Chorki) and they'll let you pull up, unload and haul up, then move the vehicle to overnight parking.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017

I think a good key point for @dmz is that you are not allowed to self park in the overnight carparks, you've got to be assisted.

If I'm lucky and put in Lower Salalom, I'll generally just walk and collect at end of stay (as our accommodation is walkable like @dickyknees63 and @nezumi and I like to bump out our gear as early as possible, grab a ripper spot in day parking for an easy exit and then hit slopes).

I'm not 100% sure the car collection is ok, so if anyone here knows I'd be keen to understand if I should stop this habit!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
If I'm lucky and put in Lower Salalom, I'll generally just walk and collect at end of stay (as our accommodation is walkable like @dickyknees63 and @nezumi and I like to bump out our gear as early as possible, grab a ripper spot in day parking for an easy exit and then hit slopes).

I'm not 100% sure the car collection is ok, so if anyone here knows I'd be keen to understand if I should stop this habit!
Never heard of anyone being told not to collect car unaided. We do if it's in lower slalom.

Which accom is walkable is a very individual decision. How much luggage, age of party, fitness, budget are just as important as distance. Just remember that nearly everything is uphill from dropoff points.

You can send one person (not a child) with the luggage and everyone else walk. A single ticket gives you one bag, a ski bag and a boot bag. Extra items are $9 each (seems a big increase) - condolidate into big bags.

They were saying that this year you had to pre-book ATS and print your own tickets . Not sure if that is still the case but I'd check before deciding not to.

If you are using ATS, decide whether you are going to wait for the driver to park or let them make their own way later (by foot or ATS)

People staying near the bowl often use gully chair for the "walkers". Unfortunately this is no longer free so it's only any option if you have a lift ticket for that day

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Never heard of anyone being told not to collect car unaided. We do if it's in lower slalom.

Which accom is walkable is a very individual decision. How much luggage, age of party, fitness, budget are just as important as distance. Just remember that nearly everything is uphill from dropoff points.

You can send one person (not a child) with the luggage and everyone else walk. A single ticket gives you one bag, a ski bag and a boot bag. Extra items are $9 each (seems a big increase) - condolidate into big bags.

They were saying that this year you had to pre-book ATS and print your own tickets . Not sure if that is still the case but I'd check before deciding not to.

If you are using ATS, decide whether you are going to wait for the driver to park or let them make their own way later (by foot or ATS)

People staying near the bowl often use gully chair for the "walkers". Unfortunately this is no longer free so it's only any option if you have a lift ticket for that day

Good advice!

I noticed new lift gates at Gully, but naively thought maybe they would still be allowing non-ticketed to head to bowl.

Must be a bit frustrating for day trippers who just want to head up the bowl for a look around.

Is a single trip ticket on Falls Express still available?

I reckon that is an amazing view and pretty eye opening experience for those new to snow!

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
How does this happen? I go to the ATT, unload my gear - then what happens? Do I have to wait for someone to join me in my car to take me to the overnight parks?

No. After unloading your gear, you drive your car to a designated waiting area and wait to be escorted (in another vehicle) to your parking spot. They then give you a lift back. Depending on when you are there, it could be just you or multiple other cars that are escorted

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
There is a sign opposite ATS. You queue there to be led to your carpark.
However there is a person stationed on the road near ATS who will tell you how it works anyway.

At the end of your stay there is a sign outside ATS where you (driver only) wait for a shuttle to take you to your car

AuroraAustralis

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2014
No. After unloading your gear, you drive your car to a designated waiting area and wait to be escorted (in another vehicle) to your parking spot. They then give you a lift back. Depending on when you are there, it could be just you or multiple other cars that are escorted
bit of a hassle if you are own your own, have to leave your gear and ask someone randomly to keep an eye on it until you get back. if things are busy, then everyone is in a queue for the oversnow and your gear is outside on a trolley until you get back!

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
bit of a hassle if you are own your own, have to leave your gear and ask someone randomly to keep an eye on it until you get back. if things are busy, then everyone is in a queue for the oversnow and your gear is outside on a trolley until you get back!

When I was there on my own I have left my gear under the watchful eye of the ticket seller who said they would keep an eye on things

Reactions: AuroraAustralis

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
First meal ever at the Chophouse.

Nice meal, nothing too fancy (Louisiana / Southern US fair), good atmosphere (and kids / family friendly) without being too family.

Staff were switched on and really pleasant.

Will go back, but it is down the quieter end of the village so hopefully they can make a go of it.

Reactions: currawong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Monday July 5th 2021. BC XC ski day. The bushes need another 50 cm in order to open up the entire Heathy Spur loop. I went up the Paralyser on my BC skis to have a look at the BC terrain snow level. I could probably make it to Johnston's hut on Sunday week , after the next snow fall fills in the terrain some more so that turning to get down to Johnston's hut for lunch would become easier.
_SAM0033.JPG
_SAM0039.JPG
_SAM0055.JPG
_SAM0047.JPG
_SAM0061.JPG

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Heading to Falls after 20 years in mid August. Can't wait to get on the International Poma - best lift in the world! Re: dinners - we're staying at the Nelse and I know they have dinners there but how far ahead would you have to book dinners at other places around Falls? And suggestions? That Chophouse looks nice.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the issue is the sqm rule restricting how many people they can seat. a huge staff shortage may also be limiting some places. I have no direct knowledge of how far ahead you hyave to book, but I'd err on the side of booking early - esp for a Sat night

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass