News Falls Creek news and chat

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Is worth making a comment on one (all) of the govt social media platforms? It may catch someones eye. To be fair, Mt. Beauty, Bright and Mansfield clinics should not have to deal with this problem for the resorts or people out of area wanting to go there. If the government mandates a test then it should provide the resources for these small locations. FCRM can lobby harder also so push them more. Wodonga is much bigger but still can't cope.
I dont do other social media, FB is the devil's work but have emailed everyone concerned.
Now it has been corrected that it can be a NSW test !!

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
hard to keep my cool over this one

+1 tried to make a test appointment yesterday. first available: tomorrow pm
likely time to get a result >48hrs
days skiing before it expires <= 1
ability to book another appointment beyond tomorrow: No

I'm telling myself they will probably sort it out in a few days but at he moment it seems more likely that turnarounf will be greater than the 72hrs validity period
Any other close test clinics worth trying?

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
yep, heard taht.

should be open 9-5 daily with capacity to do ~200 per day. still don't expect fast turnaround on results
Idiots running the asylum 200 a day wont be enough.
Most of the people supervising it I would never employ , contradictory information , slow ,no initiative .
An excellent way to torpedo the skiing industry , no distinction between XC, tourers , day trippers on lifts when really only lodges or restaurants are the problem.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Idiots running the asylum 200 a day wont be enough.
Most of the people supervising it I would never employ , contradictory information , slow ,no initiative .
An excellent way to torpedo the skiing industry , no distinction between XC, tourers , day trippers on lifts when really only lodges or restaurants are the problem.
I can see that separating different types of snow users would be very difficult. but I can't see why they won't exempt postcodes close to the resorts, as long as people have not left them in the last however long.
hopefully will be relaxed a bit in 2 weeks, assuming this latest blip in melbourne doesn't take off

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
i know people are venting but srlsy some people need to get a grip. i'm hearing 'why can't the govt arrange things so i can go on my ski trip', as if this was the most important thing they should be doing! so don't mind me, i'm also venting.
I get that, but if the government puts a restriction in place, they need to make sure it works.

David Jadis

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2018
i know people are venting but srlsy some people need to get a grip. i'm hearing 'why can't the govt arrange things so i can go on my ski trip', as if this was the most important thing they should be doing! so don't mind me, i'm also venting.
I don't think many people here want the government "arranging" any more of their life than they already do.

AuroraAustralis

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2014
I get that, but if the government puts a restriction in place, they need to make sure it works.
Yeah, things could be different and better for sure. Still beats last year... i went for a test in July before going up, no queue at the testing station (in Melb) and had a result in about 5 hours. Heard a few people talk about what it takes to set up a testing station, big issue is where to get the people manning it from. they are health professionals you have to move from somewhere else in the system.

AuroraAustralis

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2014
I don't think many people here want the government "arranging" any more of their life than they already do.
lol! no one does - unless something happens and we say 'something should be done about that', which usually involves getting them to stop people doing something we don't like.

Reactions: Warlock_01

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Yeah, things could be different and better for sure. Still beats last year... i went for a test in July before going up, no queue at the testing station (in Melb) and had a result in about 5 hours. Heard a few people talk about what it takes to set up a testing station, big issue is where to get the people manning it from. they are health professionals you have to move from somewhere else in the system.
I went today at 1pm. I was in and out in 10minutes

Wayne_O

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2011
Funkytown
can you imagine if you lived in a beachside suburb and had to get tested 48 hours ahead if you wanted to go to the beach? every time?
Could you imagine if you didn't live in a beach side suburb, but had to get a negative test 72hrs before going to the beach?

Don't get me wrong, I feel for all of the locals. But there was wasn't this much uproar or much support / sympathy from some of the locals for people from Melbourne when the requirement was brought in back in June.

I thought it was crap in June, and still think its crap now.

Get vaccinated they said, ok I get vaccinated, does it make any difference?
Just bring in the vaccination passport, and the quicker WE can ALL go back to living what the new normal life will be.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Interesting comments on the Drum that people in the UK didnt get a choice just go and get it and farkin shut up.
Grattan institute estimates we need a lottery since Australians are so motivated by money and research led by James Cook University infectious diseases physicians and mathematicians suggests we would need to vaccinate as much as 85 per cent of the population to achieve herd immunity.

Reactions: Chaeron

Wayne_O

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2011
Funkytown
Interesting comments on the Drum that people in the UK didnt get a choice just go and get it and farkin shut up.
Grattan institute estimates we need a lottery since Australians are so motivated by money and research led by James Cook University infectious diseases physicians and mathematicians suggests we would need to vaccinate as much as 85 per cent of the population to achieve herd immunity.
A lottery not so much for our state..... Victorians are motivated by the AFL. Make vaccinations mandatory to go to a game.......o_O

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
200.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Some info on one company's test sits for alpine travel
Melbourne Pathology:
Are you planning a trip to the snow and need a COVID test?
No referral required and no testing fee
Visit one of the collection centres below and let the pathology collector know you require a COVID test for alpine travel. Please do not attend our standard collection centres for a COVID test. Testing is only performed at the sites listed below:
Balaclava - 287B Carlisle St, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 7:30am - 12:30pm, Sun 8:30am - 12:30pm
Ballarat - 63 Victoria St, M-F 8:30am - 5pm
Beaumaris - 471 Balcombe Rd, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 7:30am - 11:30am
Bendigo - L1, 1 Chum St, M-F 8am - 5:30pm, Sat 9am - 12noon
Bentleigh - 153 Jasper Rd, M-F 7:30am - 5pm, Sat 7:30am - 12noon
Cranbourne - 26 William St, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 8am - 12noon
Deepdene - 59 Whitehorse Rd, Mon - Sat 8:30 - 9:30am only
East Melbourne - 124 Grey St, M-F 11am - 5pm, Sat 8am - 12noon
Epping - Suite 8/230 Cooper St, M-F 9am - 3:30pm, Sat 8:30am - 11am
Geelong (Waurn Ponds) - Epworth Geelong, 1 Epworth Pl, M-F 8:30am - 5pm
Moe - 46 - 48 Albert St, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 8:30am - 11:30am
Moonee Ponds - 45A Hall St, M-F 8am - 4pm, Sat 8am - 11am
Mornington - 262 Main St, M-F 8:30am - 5pm, Sat 8:30am - 12noon
Pakenham - Unit 2, 63 Main St, M-F 8am-4:30pm, Sat 8am-12noon
Ringwood - 38 Bond St, M-F 8am - 4pm, Sat 8am - 12noon
Rye - 2 Ozone St, M-F 8:30am - 5pm (closed 1-2pm)
Somerville - 67 Eramosa Road West, M-F 8:30am - 5pm, Sat 8:30am - 12noon
St Albans - 22 Victoria St, M-F 8am - 4pm, Sat 8am - 11am

Booking required for the sites below
(Call 9287 7700 and select opton 4, or email covidbookings@mps.com.au)
North Melbourne - 70 Alfred St, Mon, Wed, Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm, Tues 1 - 4:30pm, Thur 8:30 - 11am
Bentleigh - 159 Jasper Rd, M-F 8:30am - 4:30pm
Frankston - 28 Cranbourne Rd, M-F 1:30 - 4:30pm

Please note: These sites are CLOSED on public holidays. See our dedicated COVID collection sites for sites that are open.

Please note: No onsite COVID testing is performed at these sites for patients with symptoms, or people who have attended an exposure site.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Some info on one company's test sits for alpine travel
Melbourne Pathology:
Are you planning a trip to the snow and need a COVID test?
Visit one of the collection centres below and let the pathology collector know you require a COVID test for alpine travel. Please do not attend our standard collection centres for a COVID test. Testing is only performed at the sites listed below:
Balaclava - 287B Carlisle St, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 7:30am - 12:30pm, Sun 8:30am - 12:30pm
East Melbourne - 124 Grey St, M-F 11am - 5pm, Sat 8am - 12noon
Rye - 2 Ozone St, M-F 8:30am - 5pm (closed 1-2pm)

North Melbourne - 70 Alfred St, Mon, Wed, Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm, Tues 1 - 4:30pm, Thur 8:30 - 11am

Please note: These sites are CLOSED on public holidays. See our dedicated COVID collection sites for sites that are open.

Please note: No onsite COVID testing is performed at these sites for patients with symptoms, or people who have attended an exposure site.

COVID-19 testing for alpine travel​

Are you planning a trip to the snow and need a COVID test?​

Balaclava - 287B Carlisle St, M-F 8am - 5pm, Sat 7:30am - 12:30pm, Sun 8am - 1pm

Gisborne - Shop 10, Gisborne Village Market, 34A Hamilton St, M-F 9am - 5pm

Niddrie - Ground Floor, 8 Treadwell Rd, M-F 8:30am - 3:30pm, Sat 9am - 11:30am

Rye - 2 Ozone St, M-F 9:30am - 5pm (closed 1-2pm)

Shepparton - 92-94 Maude St, M-F 8am - 4:30pm

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Random ski and Covid related question. I see that a negative Covid test is required before entering Victoria resorts. Can it just be from one of the mass testing centres? I was originally meant to be travelling to NZ and they required one of tests you have to pay for. I’m assuming a test from South Australia will be okay.

There’s just the small issue of borders not being open yet but hey, I want to be prepared just in case they open in time for me to travel and ski.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Random ski and Covid related question. I see that a negative Covid test is required before entering Victoria resorts. Can it just be from one of the mass testing centres? I was originally meant to be travelling to NZ and they required one of tests you have to pay for. I’m assuming a test from South Australia will be okay.

There’s just the small issue of borders not being open yet but hey, I want to be prepared just in case they open in time for me to travel and ski.

No restriction on type or location of testing centre. A text message or email confirming your negative status is all that's required, not the same level of documentation as for international travel.

Reactions: Chaeron and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
No restriction on type or location of testing centre. A text message or email confirming your negative status is all that's required, not the same level of documentation as for international travel.
Thanks. Don’t love Covid tests but at least if it’s free that’s not so bad. Just planning everything in readiness for if I can go.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Thanks. Don’t love Covid tests but at least if it’s free that’s not so bad. Just planning everything in readiness for if I can go.

Yup - I had one done on Friday - testing place was so quiet that everyone was sitting down. Traffic marshals made sure that I wasn't seeking a test for overseas travel, then waved me in.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Another random ski and covid related question:
-Family from same household going up in 2 cars.
-Can first car (with season resort pass) go back and pick up the 2 other family members from Mt Beauty? (2nd car is being parked in Mt Beauty).

Edit: 'Register your trip' might be our undoing even if it's allowed.
I don't think 2 trips for the one vehicle are catered for.
Husband keeps saying: 'they can catch the bus.'

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Another random ski and covid related question:
-Family from same household going up in 2 cars.
-Can first car (with season resort pass) go back and pick up the 2 other family members from Mt Beauty? (2nd car is being parked in Mt Beauty).

Edit: 'Register your trip' might be our undoing even if it's allowed.
I don't think 2 trips for the one vehicle are catered for.
Husband keeps saying: 'they can catch the bus.'
If it's within 72 hrs of your test, sure. If they are coming up a few days later then you'll need another test to get back in.

Resort entry itself is not an issue. You can go up and down as many times as you want within the registered period. You are just not allowed in when not registered.

Reactions: Chaeron

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Random question.... Are we still required to wear masks at all time when at the ski fields?

No matter as I just forked out for a box of 100 of eBay. Knowing how wet my buff gets when pulled up over my mouth, I suspect a surgical mask in the snow will become fairly soggy and useless after a few hours of me huffing and puffing my way around Falls.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Random question.... Are we still required to wear masks at all time when at the ski fields?

No matter as I just forked out for a box of 100 of eBay. Knowing how wet my buff gets when pulled up over my mouth, I suspect a surgical mask in the snow will become fairly soggy and useless after a few hours of me huffing and puffing my way around Falls.
The only requirement in the ski field is signage stating 'face covering' in lift queues..... not being actively enforced.
Inside areas as per current Victorian DHHS directives.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
The only requirement in the ski field is signage stating 'face covering' in lift queues..... not being actively enforced.
Inside areas as per current Victorian DHHS directives.
This.

It is not being enforced. Mouths and noses out all over the place.

Random people filling up chairs, shoulder to shoulder in the lift queue.

We tried to stay clear of people. Lucky we were riding in places with minimal lift queues so we were happy to wait. We had one dude ski in between us to load the lift at Scott’s and we just let him go.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
This.

It is not being enforced. Mouths and noses out all over the place.

Random people filling up chairs, shoulder to shoulder in the lift queue.

We tried to stay clear of people. Lucky we were riding in places with minimal lift queues so we were happy to wait. We had one dude ski in between us to load the lift at Scott’s and we just let him go.
Bit of a worry! resorts were allowed to re-open by agreeing to enforce these rules,

Once 1-2 cases get into the lift system or resort…? :rolleyes:

Reactions: currawong

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Bit of a worry! resorts were allowed to re-open by agreeing to enforce these rules,

Once 1-2 cases get into the lift system or resort…? :rolleyes:

SG (pre trip) two cent rant!

I know we’re all doing these awful swabs before coming up but it’s a worry when our back-up plan is widely discarded less than a week into re-opening.

I hate masks, My glasses fog, I struggle to breathe when exercising, lots do, so I fully Get not doing hard exercise in the open with a mask - especially when crowds are dispersed. But crowded lift lines and chairlifts? Etc… ? Geeze!

Do we really want to lose this season, that so many in the Alpine sector have worked so hard to save?

I do wonder about man / person kind sometimes? :rolleyes:

Reactions: AuroraAustralis
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass