News Falls Creek news and chat

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
This.

It is not being enforced. Mouths and noses out all over the place.

Random people filling up chairs, shoulder to shoulder in the lift queue.

We tried to stay clear of people. Lucky we were riding in places with minimal lift queues so we were happy to wait. We had one dude ski in between us to load the lift at Scott’s and we just let him go.
I freaked out a bit at Hotham a few weeks ago, right before the lockdown.
Made the mistake of riding the bus. Had to wear a mask, but every stop we got told to move down and we ended up crammed in like sardines (quite a number of folks not wearing masks properly).
Only did it once, that was enough to not repeat the mistake.
We have done the same the two days I've got to ride so far (one at falls one at Hoth) and made sure we didn't ride with anyone but our family. (One exception, I did take a ski school kid for an instructor.)

towie81

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2010
Have planned for 2 weeks skiing from next Monday but based in Mt Beauty.
Is this going to require Covid tests every 3 days? If so, is there an easy solution to this problem or does it require days off the mountain and waiting up to 48 hours for results?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Have planned for 2 weeks skiing from next Monday but based in Mt Beauty.
Is this going to require Covid tests every 3 days? If so, is there an easy solution to this problem or does it require days off the mountain and waiting up to 48 hours for results?
TBH the answer is don't really know.

Initially I would have said that getting a test each afternoon might been necessary. If what I was told yesterday is correct, that you can't have a test while waiting for the result of a previous one, that won't work.
OTOH I'm hearing that the people checking are giving you a car sticker that is valid for ~3 days from when you present your negative result.

I expect that the rules will be changed or clarified before long. Until them it's suck it and see. Sorry I can't tell you more reliable info.

IIRC mt beauty testing is open 9-4.

Reactions: Snowy Joey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Does anyone know if the Falls Creek coach service published timetable is still accurate/current? Any disruptions to their service due to COVID?

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Does anyone know if the Falls Creek coach service published timetable is still accurate/current? Any disruptions to their service due to COVID?
My sons used the on line booking system yesterday and said it was very good.
Try a dummy run and see what times come up in the drop downs for the days you want.

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Last time I was at Falls (1993) I think we just did Cloud 9 every day for lunch. Anyone got other recommendations for lunch?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Reactions: dmz

ocker

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2002
Melbourne
www.kiewaview.com
Extract today from my submission to DHHS sent today
"
13. Because tests at the Mount Beauty station can take up to 24 hours to be returned, skiers, snow boarders staying in Mount Beauty are having to get a new test every second day. That means missing half a day’s skiing every second day. If they are on a two week ski holiday staying in Mount Beauty they need to get 7 tests. This is unnecessary and not the purpose of the negative test requirement. Presumable it is to ensure people do not bring Covid into the alpine area.

Simple suggestion to make this work better quickly

(i) Keep the mandatory negative test in the 72 hours prior to first entry into the resort.

(ii) After the first entry the requirement is the same as resort workers only every 7 days.

Example your negative test is dated August 1, and you enter the resort for the first time on August 2, then the sticker will say approved to re-enter until August 9.

(iii) To re-enter after August 9 the person would need to get a another negative test taken in the 72 hours prior.

So long as there are no positive cases in the sub-alpine towns then this is a practical thing to do. We all get the protection needed to keep the alpine resorts open but people staying off-mountain are only loosing half a day per week to get re-tested not half a day every second day."

We need to push for meaningful but safe change.
Have spoken to Alpine Health but to setup the testing properly with extended hours when people are not up a Falls required notice before the season and the government gave no previous warning even though Sutton admitted he was aware of the problem since the Northern Hemisphere season.

Spoke to Vale Resorts to push for change. They just passed on to RMB who showed no initiative.
So it up to us as individuals to make representations to DHHS and your local member for a more workable system. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. Over to the rest of you. New school cases in Melbourne today means blanket lifting of restrictions unlikely to happen anytime soon. So we need to push for small changes that will make things work more smoothly.

Reactions: Chaeron

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
You need to go to your account and pop her email address against the ticket, and the other folks email address against the other tix.

Not sure its an option at the moment?

I have an epic pass and my daughter wants to make use of 3 of my "Bring a Buddy" tickets. Does anyone know how she can access these? Do I need to be with her when she collects her tickets?
Struggling to work this out tonight.
Any tips?
Is it even worth it for a 1 day ticket tomorrow?

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Went for my 2nd ski today, lovely sunny morning, good coverage fairly OK snow, the temperature rose close to zero last night and no crowds .
All the negative Covid test bullshit , once up there were no skiers were wearing masks and why should they , negative Covid test , no local cases the 15 months of the whole pandemic and most skiers with a brain ,fully immunised.
I spose Falls has to close again for 7 days, I feel for the ski industry .

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Thanks for your Falls Creek suggestions. Sadly it appears it wont happen. Booked to head up 14th August. Hopefully next year. And with as good snow.

• Sad
Reactions: Dui and Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
"We are extremely grateful to be able to welcome regional Victorian visitors and those from other states who satisfy the travel permit conditions back to Falls Creek Resort from Tuesday 10th of August."
Those words are on the resort website, not the lift co website, and do not necessarily mean that lifts will be turning then.

Lift co website skifalls.com.au has not been updated since 5 Aug and envisioned a reopening on 13th.

I suspect Vail will announce something at some stage today

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
From Vail
Hi All,

We are reopening!

The Victorian Government has announced that from midnight tonight the lockdown will lift in regional Victoria, and we are so happy to welcome our regional guests back to the resort from tomorrow, Tuesday 10 August.

Our teams will be working hard to get the resort operating again, and to ensure everyone’s safety we will be gradually reopening the mountain. Please check our website through the afternoon as we update information on the lifts expected to operate over the coming days. https://www.skifalls.com.au/discover-falls-creek/conditions-maps/snow-weather

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
What are the general COVID refund terms for accommodation? Are Melbourne travellers holding onto their bookings until Thursday if they know they can get a refund if travel restrictions remain. If restrictions are not eased and there are mass last minute cancellations that will be a tough gig for the mountain businesses, who have to organise staff, food etc.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What are the general COVID refund terms for accommodation? Are Melbourne travellers holding onto their bookings until Thursday if they know they can get a refund if travel restrictions remain. If restrictions are not eased and there are mass last minute cancellations that will be a tough gig for the mountain businesses, who have to organise staff, food etc.
no such thing as general refund conditions. each establishment sets their own.

talk to your accom provider.

BTW last year there were some advantages to businesses if cancellation didn't happen until the day that the booking was due to start.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
"Our teams will be working hard to get the resort operating again, and to ensure everyone’s safety we will be gradually reopening the mountain."

FFS, will you gradually increase the price of a lift ticket? No I'm sure we will all be charged the same as usual. Halleys and Towers only tomorrow. What a joke.
Regional visitors are going to get screwed over again.

There's been no snow.
There's been no high wind.
It's only been 3 days - what hard work is required to open the resort again?

Reactions: gaz35

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
"Our teams will be working hard to get the resort operating again, and to ensure everyone’s safety we will be gradually reopening the mountain."

FFS, will you gradually increase the price of a lift ticket? No I'm sure we will all be charged the same as usual. Halleys and Towers only tomorrow. What a joke.
Regional visitors are going to get screwed over again.

There's been no snow.
There's been no high wind.
It's only been 3 days - what hard work is required to open the resort again?
staff will probably be one issue. I think some went home last week rather than wait out another lockdown. they will need to get negative test results before they can return to the resort. AIUI they were already pretty short on staff worth people working more hours than normal.

some of it probably will be financial. not that many people will get their act together to ski tomorrow. if it was your business, would you operate all lifts tomorrow for very grew customers?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Sorry, a bit of a bump here on the rebooking accom after LD 5 & 6 theme?

We've just had our second attempt to ski Falls kyboshed by LD 6, following Late July booking (LD#1)

We belong to a ski club, so we may not get a third week in the rapidly diminishing season.

Can I please ask If anyone knows of ‘better-value’ accomodation offers to pursue (obviously will be much more expensive than club beds) on the hill? Thanks for any ideas folks. :thumbs: :cool:

Ps: We bought Epic passes for the first time this year, so we’re kind of keen to use them rather than lose them. ;) Unlike NSW, we’re unlikely to be claiming a 30-day lockdown or resort-shutdown. Luckily?

We might also try to rollover our passes if it’s too hard to get affordable beds. Can anyone please advise if that’s likely to be possible? Perhaps after supplying evidence from our club? Cheers again.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Alpha is semi-commercial club. i'd be trying there.

also try any club that you think might have significant nsw membership. they should have a lot of cancellations. i don't know if albury, wagga, riverina for example might be keen to get some non- member bookings. can't hurt to ask

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Alpha is semi-commercial club. i'd be trying there.

also try any club that you think might have significant nsw membership. they should have a lot of cancellations. i don't know if albury, wagga, riverina for example might be keen to get some non- member bookings. can't hurry to ask

Thanks Currawong. That is an excellent idea. Will do just that. We’ve stayed at Alpha previously in summer - it was pretty good from memory. We’ve stayed as guest at one or two others.

FWIW: I don’t mind paying somewhat more than our club rate - I’m / we’re really keen to get a holiday (escape city), a ski and to get some value from our Epic passes. I’m sure many will want to follow suit. ;)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Unless I misread something, the alpine health website was showing that mr beauty pop up testing was to reopen today.
nup, closed. the only way to get tested here is to make an appointment for the 1 hr slots 4 days a week at the hospital

only non appointment option is 1-3 Mon-fri in bright (~1hr round trip), or drive to Wodonga (~2hr round trip)

I don't they are expecting locals to take the strong recommendation too seriously.

Not complaining. It makes sense not to use resources here where risk is tiny rather than optimising pathology throughput for testing in the city

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I don't they are expecting locals to take the strong recommendation too seriously.
Just read this also, seems it is no longer compulsory to have a negative test if you are regional

'If visiting an Alpine resort, it is strongly recommended that you have a COVID-19 test performed and receive a negative result within 72 hours of entering the resort.'

Is the recommendation being enforced as mandatory?

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Just read this also, seems it is no longer compulsory to have a negative test if you are regional

'If visiting an Alpine resort, it is strongly recommended that you have a COVID-19 test performed and receive a negative result within 72 hours of entering the resort.'

Is the recommendation being enforced as mandatory?
No, it is not mandatory.

Reactions: Snowy Joey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass