News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Just read this also, seems it is no longer compulsory to have a negative test if you are regional

'If visiting an Alpine resort, it is strongly recommended that you have a COVID-19 test performed and receive a negative result within 72 hours of entering the resort.'

Is the recommendation being enforced as mandatory?
It's not supposed to be mandatory. I don't know what it any checking is taking place but I'd be surprised if ghey are. Maybe when they check that you've registered to be there they might ask. Previously when it was "recommended", there was no checking

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
FCRM all over the Melbourne lockdown.

Had booked to resort entry under season pass for 18th August (for a long weekend) and they've sent note to refund (non season pass holders I assume) or change date.

Moving to Friday 19th in spirit of optimism.

Enjoy the mountain those who can, and hold on those who are also waiting for us all to knock this outbreak on the head.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
It's not supposed to be mandatory. I don't know what it any checking is taking place but I'd be surprised if ghey are. Maybe when they check that you've registered to be there they might ask. Previously when it was "recommended", there was no checking
We came back up again yesterday late afternoon.
Even though the negative covid test had been changed to ‘recommended’, we decided to do it anyway.
No checking anywhere though for anyone concerned.
The previous road block at the bottom of the hill was gone.
The Howman’s Gap ticket box was deserted.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
will there be more than 3 lifts spinning for the weekend? was it a wind issue today or just not enough people?
Who knows?
Only Halley’s and Towers yesterday, and Mousetrap was added halfway through today.

Lifts only opened at 9.20am this morning for some strange reason.
The wind had not picked up yet - that didn’t happen till lunchtime and lifts kept spinning. o_O

A barman told us last night that they were trying hard yesterday to get staff back to open more and that would happen today. Nup.
Met and overheard quite a few angry customers who need Eagle and/or Gully chairs just for better access.

Very grateful to be skiing at all of course but some of the above is curious.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Not sure how many it affected but I heard that more staff went home at the start of this lockdown than previously. I think they have to be tested before coming back

68skier

Hard Yards
May 29, 2017
Not sure how many it affected but I heard that more staff went home at the start of this lockdown than previously. I think they have to be tested before coming back
Drove up from Mt Beauty today, some fresh air and a few laps of Towers. Shared a chair with a young man who I came to think worked on the lifts...we had a few chats...firstly I noticed the lift attendants all wearing black parkas...they are salaried employees as distinct from the blue parkas, paid by the hour..(his comments).. perhaps a cost cutting exercise ...not enough paying customers...only season pass holders out and about!!...I counted 9 cars parked in the o/nite bays between Howmans and the village. He also commented that most staff were still on the mountain...."we're all out skiing/riding"... As for wind hold?..I don't think so, over the years I've seen the whole mountain operating with much worse, didn't even need a neck warmer ...my chair companions' comments were.." if this was school hols and there were people the whole mountain would be open"......my opinion is that there were not enough people, so keep costs down....those chairs chew up a lot of electricity

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Before the regional lockdown finished, +1 and i were speculating about what lifts would open if regional opened before melbourne. We guessed halleys & towers, maybe mouse trap and perhaps summit and gully to keep the advanced skiers happy.

So I'm not that surprised that the first couple of days, especially with short staff, they would run what they have.

The wind reported by weatherzone was at a level that lift closures would be likely. Maybe they could have stayed open a little longer but it was certainly in windhold territory

I have no connection at all to the lift co. Just trying to imagine being in their shoes

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Totally understand your points Curra, but 2 separate reports now of wind not being strong at all till very late in the day.
It can be a vicious circle of misery for businesses up here if the lift company open up too frugally.
Are regional folk going to waste their time and money if they hear that only 2 chairs are running?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Totally understand your points Curra, but 2 separate reports now of wind not being strong at all till very late in the day.
I looked at weatherzone when this was mentioned earlier and posted this at 2:26. So not that late in the day.
weatherzone says currently 28kts gusting to 38kts.

my rule of thumb is everything usually shut by 30kts
People frequently complain that windholds are not justified but at falls over decades I've learnt that it's rare for any lifts to run if it's 30kts or more.

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

cheekydingo

First Runs
May 22, 2021
We came back up again yesterday late afternoon.
Even though the negative covid test had been changed to ‘recommended’, we decided to do it anyway.
No checking anywhere though for anyone concerned.
The previous road block at the bottom of the hill was gone.
The Howman’s Gap ticket box was deserted.
Good on you for getting tested! Thanks for helping to keep us all safe

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Is windhold the discussion here????
Anyway, goodnight all!
I thought the assertion was that wind was no justification for shutting lifts today and that it could only be attributed to penny pinching. I was countering that with observations about windhold levels.

I agree that VR would not be running all the lifts this week if they could. IMHO staff shortage and wind have meant that they are running even less than they would if they could.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Its natural that ones opinion depends on general attitude ie glasshalf full v empty.
Today will be icey but by Saturday might be better.
The lifts situation depends on customers and vice versa not helped by the state govt making snap decisions .
Everyone wants consistency especially shop owners.

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
unsurprisingly, the Hoppet had been cancelled.

There is still an opportunity to do a solo ski on a marked course in your own time from mon 23 to Sat 28, if you can get to falls, and a virtual hoppet at home like last year.

47-452e-b8e8-26188e3d4a8f?dpr=1&fit=clip&ixjsv=2.2.jpg

Latest News​

The Kangaroo Hoppet Planning Committee met earlier this week and made the decision not to proceed with the on snow event on 28 Aug this year.

‘The combination of international and interstate travel bans with the uncertainty around the level of Victorian COVID restrictions that would apply over the next fortnight meant that we felt that we weren’t able to offer a safe event for our participants and volunteers in the alpine environment,’ said Race Director Ben Derrick. ’Not to overlook providing a high-quality event and the limits on participant numbers for events such as ours’.

The Virtual Hoppet is on again

With the virtual event already on offer for those unable to get to Falls Creek organisers are planning to offer an 'open track' style event from Monday 23 to Saturday 28 August for skiers that can make it up to Falls during Hoppet Week . With support from Parks Victoria and Falls Creek Resort Management our volunteers will be putting out course signage and km markers and setting up a few bells and whistles in the Nordic Bowl to give skiers a sense of involvement. Skiers will be able to come and go as they please and take a selfie on the traditional Hoppet podium. Please note that your safety is your responsibility, as it would be for any other day skiing at Falls Creek. The Hoppet will not be offering any emergency support. If you experience trouble, please call Falls Creek Ski Patrol 5758 1234 or in an emergency call 000. Or do it your way!

-709507931a39-resize1200x?dpr=1&fit=clip&ixjsv=2.2.jpg

Hoppet Shop

The Organising Committee are keen to provide some normal Hoppet social activities even with the event not going ahead. The Hoppet shop will be open daily during Hoppet week with the usual array of memorabilia and merchandise. Of particular note is the great Hoppet Dozen from local vineyards in the valleys. The perfect companion for any meal or any occasion. Also, the collector's item Hoppet 30th year anniversary t-shirts when it's not actually going to be the 30th year celebration. Who knows, they might be as tantalizingly popular as an upside-down penny terrible for a philatelist.....unlikely, but in a couple of great colours they are sure to stand out!
HOURS:
Mon 23 to Thurs 26: 2pm - 4pm
Friday 27th: 12pm - 8pm
Saturday 28th: 10am - 4pm
Sunday 29th: 10am to 3pm

-bdb5870f0637-resize1200x?dpr=1&fit=clip&ixjsv=2.2.jpg
Have you entered already?
For the people that have entered to date, we will roll your entry over into next year or offer a full refund. A separate email will be sent out to you in due course with instructions on how to change your event status. Also, all entries to date will receive a complimentary entry into the virtual event (you get a great looking 30th anniversary Buff - it's the best yet!).

8fe4-4dd257f471a6?dpr=1&fit=clip&fm=png8&ixjsv=2.2.png

Stay connected

It was a really tough decision to not proceed with the event this year and we send our best wishes to those of you that can make it and to everyone who can't be there. However, please stay connected and be part of the celebration of our 30th event in 2022. I promise, the tracks will be fast and the sun will be shining (BD).

facebook.png
twitter.png
instagram.png
-0f61ec68c843-resize1200x?dpr=1&fit=clip&ixjsv=2.2.jpg
99b33-resize1200x?dpr=1&fit=clip&fm=png8&ixjsv=2.2.png

One-click Unsubscribe

Warlock_01

One of Us
Jul 7, 2015
Gold Coast, Bonogin
I thought the assertion was that wind was no justification for shutting lifts today and that it could only be attributed to penny pinching. I was countering that with observations about windhold levels.

I agree that VR would not be running all the lifts this week if they could. IMHO staff shortage and wind have meant that they are running even less than they would if they could.
Yesterday afternoon the lifts had to close due to lightning.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
The latest Metro Melbourne lockdown still isn’t long enough to trigger the Epic Pass refund. 3 days short.
If we didn’t have the tea break, we’d be right.

• Sad

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
The latest Metro Melbourne lockdown still isn’t long enough to trigger the Epic Pass refund. 3 days short.
If we get extended and meet the lockdown length for refund, can you still get refunded if you have already used a couple of days?

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I reckon that tea break was still worth it!

I'd pay an awful lot to get schools open for a week or 2 again!
It was great. We got to touch snow and spent the day with some good people. That, I am truly thankful for.

Yes, the kids are doing it tough. Seriously, that’s who I really feel sorry for and the parents home schooling.

Ramus

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
On mountain friend heard from a lifty that Vail may suspend the wheel from Thursday. I am sceptical though, as this would expose Vail to significant more refunds via resort closure clause of Epic coverage. For VIC customers, it is currently at 19/79=24% refund.

Chris W

First Runs
Jul 4, 2021
I don’t think they will
Why would they? Lots of people in the resort this weekend. Lunch places were packed, my hotel was full at dinner time. There were hardly lift lines, but lots of people everywhere, even with weather that wasn’t too great Sunday. Even yesterday wasn’t really quiet. Met quite a few families that were gonna stay all week.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Why would they? Lots of people in the resort this weekend. Lunch places were packed, my hotel was full at dinner time. There were hardly lift lines, but lots of people everywhere, even with weather that wasn’t too great Sunday. Even yesterday wasn’t really quiet. Met quite a few families that were gonna stay all week.
I ageee. I would rather they honour the tea break we had if we are 3 days short.

Reactions: Chris W and Chaeron

jorgo

Hard Yards
Jun 22, 2007
Anyone know if Falls/Hotham passes are still valid at both?

Going to Bright for a few days, planning if i need to buy separate days or can get consecutive and choose where to go each day.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Anyone know if Falls/Hotham passes are still valid at both?

Going to Bright for a few days, planning if i need to buy separate days or can get consecutive and choose where to go each day.
Epic is valid at both, not sure of any other tickets necessarily. Resort entry separate…

Skiddy85

Addicted
Aug 25, 2008
Wodonga
On mountain friend heard from a lifty that Vail may suspend the wheel from Thursday. I am sceptical though, as this would expose Vail to significant more refunds via resort closure clause of Epic coverage. For VIC customers, it is currently at 19/79=24% refund.
I heard this rumour on Sunday at Hotham, haven't been able to find anyone or anything to substantiate it

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I heard this rumour on Sunday at Hotham, haven't been able to find anyone or anything to substantiate it
I damn hope its a false rumour, I am on the Spirit of Tasmania Thursday night for my two weeks skiing then two weeks in home quarantine. If I get there Friday and find they have closed the place, I will be livid.....

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Vail have announced a change to how night skiing will work, from tomorrow. Not really consistent with pulling the plug

ski4me08

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2008
Rumour up here is that Vail are reducing lift operating hours and grooming during the week to save on labour costs - not surprising given the high volume of refunds that are being issued at the moment and a number of staff being laid off early. Scott’s, Ruined and Summit closed early at around 3pm today. Gully has not spun since the weekend (leaving Halleys as the only access lift). Lakeside and Monkey Bar have not spun since the most recent lockdown and International won’t be operating at all in 2021. In addition Halleys will run continuously from morning through to 7:30pm on Night Skiing days instead of pausing between 5-6pm.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Rumour up here is that Vail are reducing lift operating hours and grooming during the week to save on labour costs - not surprising given the high volume of refunds that are being issued at the moment and a number of staff being laid off early. Scott’s, Ruined and Summit closed early at around 3pm today. Gully has not spun since the weekend (leaving Halleys as the only access lift). Lakeside and Monkey Bar have not spun since the most recent lockdown and International won’t be operating at all in 2021. In addition Halleys will run continuously from morning through to 7:30pm on Night Skiing days instead of pausing between 5-6pm.
So punters aren’t getting great VFM - I doubt Vail are offering decent discounts on day passes for very limited service? Seems poor on face value. :mad:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
disappointing but not too surprising.
I'll be pissed if grooming is cut back too much.

I'd already assumed that the night skiing changes meant no grooming before the late skiing.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Thanks for the Rumour/intel. A question, has drovers been running much? I ask as I have not noticed it turning according to the few peeks at the app and you suggest that monkey bar is not turning. If not, I guess Wombats is the only lift served green (unless you do drovers then cut across the cat track into towers). I was especially looking forward to progressing my switch tele turns this year for which a wide open swath of consistent gentle slope is required (monkey bar is perfect). I can't see that working on the narrowness that is wombats.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks for the Rumour/intel. A question, has drovers been running much? I ask as I have not noticed it turning according to the few peeks at the app and you suggest that monkey bar is not turning. If not, I guess Wombats is the only lift served green (unless you do drovers then cut across the cat track into towers). I was especially looking forward to progressing my switch tele turns this year for which a wide open swath of consistent gentle slope is required (monkey bar is perfect). I can't see that working on the narrowness that is wombats.
the app says drovers is open and groomed.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Hope you get there this time, Al. Look forward to your report, even though vicarious ski trips have their challenges. But can you please explain these switch tele turns? I was of the view that when a snowboarder rides 'switch', he/she changes from their preferred or natural front foot to the other way around. A skill/balance challenge. But with telemark, aren't you changing the lead foot with each turn? (Unless mono-mark). So how does 'switch' work? Please excuse ignorance of an occasional, aspirational tele turner. Is a PM more appropriate, I wonder?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hope you get there this time, Al. Look forward to your report, even though vicarious ski trips have their challenges. But can you please explain these switch tele turns? I was of the view that when a snowboarder rides 'switch', he/she changes from their preferred or natural front foot to the other way around. A skill/balance challenge. But with telemark, aren't you changing the lead foot with each turn? (Unless mono-mark). So how does 'switch' work? Please excuse ignorance of an occasional, aspirational tele turner. Is a PM more appropriate, I wonder?
We all want to hear this. Inside every aspiring alpine skier is a telemarker wanting to loose the heel and bend the knee!

• Love
Reactions: almontyrat

Chris W

First Runs
Jul 4, 2021
the app says drovers is open and groomed.
And you can now easily go from Drovers run to the Towers lift. Did that a few times with my youngest last weekend. You only actually need Drovers for the park. And Eagle is running and that is a green run as well top to bottom (Day’s End and Broadway)

Pisteoff

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2016
And you can now easily go from Drovers run to the Towers lift. Did that a few times with my youngest last weekend. You only actually need Drovers for the park. And Eagle is running and that is a green run as well top to bottom (Day’s End and Broadway)
Was up at Falls today. Hayleys carpark and Windy Corner Carpark were both full. No queues anywhere but a good number of people around including lots of school kids. (at various stages, there were chairlifts with nearly all chairs with people on them) Drovers was running but not a lot of charis occupied at around 1pm. Scotts/Ruined - numbers dropped off in the afternoon. Summit was fairly busy in the early to mid morning then a bit quieter. International / Maze was skiable - you caught the little bus from gully back up to hayleys/windy corner - took only a few minutes to do this. Importantly the cover is still really good and with more snow on the way, September is looking promising for all.

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
i don't know. i would hope that it would be allotted but i doubt it. when they stopped people taking bags on gully a few years ago, having a ticket didn't get you an exemption
I forgot to report back. When I was there two weeks ago, I was able to take two 55l Dakine boot bags up to our accommodation at village bowl riding Gully. The lift operators didn't have any question at all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass