News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've been trying to listen out for rumours about Vail's intentions. Getting conflicting stories. I think they will be trying keep lifts turning but trying to save money when usage is low. Mid afternoon closing of some or all lifts seems to be an intention.

grooming still seems to be good and I understand that snowmaking is still happening.

not much interest in getting inter, gully, lakeside, monkey bar going

I've got mixed feelings. If I was the decision maker I'd probably make similar decisions. But I also wonder at what point they have failed to deliver the service that people paid for. I think it comes down to this: for those who are managing to get up there and have a slide, most would prefer to be on snow with reduced operations than see the lifts closed and contracted refunds handed out.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Hope you get there this time, Al. Look forward to your report, even though vicarious ski trips have their challenges. But can you please explain these switch tele turns? I was of the view that when a snowboarder rides 'switch', he/she changes from their preferred or natural front foot to the other way around. A skill/balance challenge. But with telemark, aren't you changing the lead foot with each turn? (Unless mono-mark). So how does 'switch' work? Please excuse ignorance of an occasional, aspirational tele turner. Is a PM more appropriate, I wonder?
Switch traditionally means Backwards or against the normal direction so skiing switch mean arse facing downhill. To tele backwards, one turns ones head hard over the shoulder of the lead (now uphill) foot. you have a blind moment as you change leads and hence your head to be looking over the other lead (uphill) shoulder.
This looking over the shoulder makes you counter rotate and brings the appropriate ski edge into play to complete the turn. Its a really good drill to get you centered as if you weight is too far forward (as mine tends to be) you will face plant once your skis go backwards out from underneath you.
I was actually made to do it in a Tele lesson to show me how forward my weight was and as a good drill to correct it. So my box of tricks includes Mono marks (got to love to hate these), Over rotating a turn to bring your tips up hill then a quick shoulder and lead change to complete a 360 (repeat as many liked whirls as possible) then the Tele backwards or switch. Soo many other drills of course but those three seem to help me with balance (both fore/aft and from side to side), edging and counter rotation or getting that squeeze the orange muscle memory.

I promise I will share as much as I can. I still can't believe that the moons have aligned and that I am actually getting to go, I will stop pinching myself when I off load Halleys for the first slide...

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Go on Curra, you know your metal machinery is just dying to drop a knee. I tele ski with a double THP bloke (he kicks my butt) and tele is actually easier on your knees than alpine as there is more give in the system. (Ignore the minor detail that my bindings don't release so a full yardsale can be injurious)....

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I've got mixed feelings. If I was the decision maker I'd probably make similar decisions. But I also wonder at what point they have failed to deliver the service that people paid for. I think it comes down to this: for those who are managing to get up there and have a slide, most would prefer to be on snow with reduced operations than see the lifts closed and contracted refunds handed out.
This absolutely. I have been peeking at the cams and the place seems deserted. Sure I will miss lapping lakeside in freshies and might have to put off my exploration of the summit area until the gully-eagle combo is running again but I will be skiing. This trip of mine was so nearly dead in the water so many times that I am just grateful to get the opportunity at all and will make the best of what's on offer.

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
This absolutely. I have been peeking at the cams and the place seems deserted. Sure I will miss lapping lakeside in freshies and might have to put off my exploration of the summit area until the gully-eagle combo is running again but I will be skiing. This trip of mine was so nearly dead in the water so many times that I am just grateful to get the opportunity at all and will make the best of what's on offer.
You can still ski summit, just ski down broadway to the bowl. If you want to do the occasional run down inter or through the maze, get the shuttle back up to halleys. Far from ideal but still an option. Probably quicker than some of the options at hotham, eg spargos

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
You can still ski summit, just ski down broadway to the bowl. If you want to do the occasional run down inter or through the maze, get the shuttle back up to halleys. Far from ideal but still an option. Probably quicker than some of the options at hotham, eg spargos
It's not an area I have explored yet, I'm kind of hoping someone can show me around as I don't want to get geographically challenged and end up on something beyond me.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Switch traditionally means Backwards or against the normal direction so skiing switch mean arse facing downhill. To tele backwards, one turns ones head hard over the shoulder of the lead (now uphill) foot. you have a blind moment as you change leads and hence your head to be looking over the other lead (uphill) shoulder.
This looking over the shoulder makes you counter rotate and brings the appropriate ski edge into play to complete the turn. Its a really good drill to get you centered as if you weight is too far forward (as mine tends to be) you will face plant once your skis go backwards out from underneath you.
I was actually made to do it in a Tele lesson to show me how forward my weight was and as a good drill to correct it. So my box of tricks includes Mono marks (got to love to hate these), Over rotating a turn to bring your tips up hill then a quick shoulder and lead change to complete a 360 (repeat as many liked whirls as possible) then the Tele backwards or switch. Soo many other drills of course but those three seem to help me with balance (both fore/aft and from side to side), edging and counter rotation or getting that squeeze the orange muscle memory.

I promise I will share as much as I can. I still can't believe that the moons have aligned and that I am actually getting to go, I will stop pinching myself when I off load Halleys for the first slide...
So telemark backwards. I suspected as much but struggled with the 'why?' apart from technical challenge at high level. Have seen one guy doing it. Would prefer to work on forward downhill technique, but that's just me. Take a run down South Face for me, please. Photos if poss.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
So telemark backwards. I suspected as much but struggled with the 'why?' apart from technical challenge at high level. Have seen one guy doing it. Would prefer to work on forward downhill technique, but that's just me. Take a run down South Face for me, please. Photos if poss.
My hero! If I could ski 1/10th as well as this guy I would die happy... I think he is the Tele equivalent of Candide Thovex....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Yeah, great style compact flowing, nice angulation.
Never tried backwards and not likely to .
It was honest and humble to show his bloopers.
1,000,000 % more guts than me that's for sure, (oh to be young and male lol). He skis sooooo fast both forwards and backwards and is obviously not scared to take risks and wipe out on occasion. Some one needs to teach him to pole plant though, he may as well chuck them away...

Reactions: Chaeron

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
That's a great high speed run. Haven't watched it for a while. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Rene-Martin Trudel got me started trying switch

and this from teletips

I'm surprised @bawbawbel hasn't chimed in yet, teleswitch is all about wholebody. I'm still only doing this on gentle slopes but practice by holding the turn until pointing uphill then either falling leaf or just let it run backwards. Look down hill to continue the turn and stop and ski forward again or rotate upper body to look over uphill shoulder and that initiates the next turn. Changing leads a bit confusing because you are bending the knee of the lead ski.

Good luck getting to the mountain, hope you have some good snow. Please practice for me as well!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
That's a great high speed run. Haven't watched it for a while. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Rene-Martin Trudel got me started trying switch

and this from teletips

I'm surprised @bawbawbel hasn't chimed in yet, teleswitch is all about wholebody. I'm still only doing this on gentle slopes but practice by holding the turn until pointing uphill then either falling leaf or just let it run backwards. Look down hill to continue the turn and stop and ski forward again or rotate upper body to look over uphill shoulder and that initiates the next turn. Changing leads a bit confusing because you are bending the knee of the lead ski.

Good luck getting to the mountain, hope you have some good snow. Please practice for me as well!
Some silly video of my first ever attempts from about 7 years ago in Japan. Be gentle on me. Oh and please don't notice the terrible stemming I do, I am working on that bad habit still.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Kokusai near Sapporo?
Nothing like seeing yourself on film to become hyper aware of one's flaws. Thanks for posting.
Hope the FC trip goes well. Post some photos, film, please (for those of us who had to cancel, again).

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I fear you're right but will hold out hope that it's only some regional lgas, not statewide. And that enough are left for Vail to keep going. Or at least that locals are allowed to access the resort and park for xc or tour for exercise

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I fear you're right but will hold out hope that it's only some regional lgas, not statewide. And that enough are left for Vail to keep going. Or at least that locals are allowed to access the resort and park for xc or tour for exercise
So far situation covid normal up here. Four laps of drovers then three of highway 83 now in for coffee. The vis is shite so no point taking photos or video sorry. I have everything crossed that this is not my only day but I will make the most of it just in case...

Gandalf

Hard Yards
Mar 18, 2020
Melbourne
So far situation covid normal up here. Four laps of drovers then three of highway 83 now in for coffee. The vis is shite so no point taking photos or video sorry. I have everything crossed that this is not my only day but I will make the most of it just in case...
I fear regional VIC is headed back into lockdown from 1pm onwards. Make the most of it while you still can!

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
If Melbourne is locked out from Regional Vic for an extra 3 days (regardless of when the Regional Vic lockdown ends) then that will trigger the 30-day stay at home refund clause for Melbournians.

This is increasingly likely now IMO.

If this occurs, do we think Vail will pull the plug on the rest of the season? I'm sure they have done the numbers and have this scenario planned for.

Reactions: Sadie and rowdyflat

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Ski patrol closed Main street and Highway at 11:30 am (some waffle about needing to get everyone off hill before 1 pm). Bugger, could have let me get a few more runs in.

I pootled back down to Windy corner, grabbed a coffee and some dimmies, and sat chatting to old acquaintances. Its the most bizarre (and expensive) ski trip I have ever had but that's the times we are living in. I got to ski and am good with that. The irony was that as soon a I got to Windy Corner, the clouds parted and there was bluebird. If I wasn't a devout atheist, I would say that a higher being was trying to say something...

Synopsis, new skis = excellent, new bindings = skied great but hard to get into and have a nasty habit of releasing mid tele turn (I think I have them dialled in no though), new Spyder goretex outwear = excellent and commented on by a number of chair lift companions. No falls and my body seemed to remember how to telemark despite it being 18 months between attempts.
I am happy :).

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Ski patrol closed Main street and Highway at 11:30 am (some waffle about needing to get everyone off hill before 1 pm). Bugger, could have let me get a few more runs in.

I pootled back down to Windy corner, grabbed a coffee and some dimmies, and sat chatting to old acquaintances. Its the most bizarre (and expensive) ski trip I have ever had but that's the times we are living in. I got to ski and am good with that. The irony was that as soon a I got to Windy Corner, the clouds parted and there was bluebird. If I wasn't a devout atheist, I would say that a higher being was trying to say something...

Synopsis, new skis = excellent, new bindings = skied great but hard to get into and have a nasty habit of releasing mid tele turn (I think I have them dialled in no though), new Spyder goretex outwear = excellent and commented on by a number of chair lift companions. No falls and my body seemed to remember how to telemark despite it being 18 months between attempts.
I am happy :).
Some BC tele if you have a resort accomodation booking and can stay on till the end of your booking?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Some BC tele if you have a resort accomodation booking and can stay on till the end of your booking?
Nah unfortunately I am staying in Tawonga South so now that I am back in the valley, can't re enter the resort. The only travel allowed to me is to high tail it back to Pot Melbourne tomorrow afternoon. I have a booking on the big red and white boat tomorrow night and a GTG pass approved for home quarantine so I am all good.

backcountry

Hard Yards
Mar 20, 2008
Nah unfortunately I am staying in Tawonga South so now that I am back in the valley, can't re enter the resort. The only travel allowed to me is to high tail it back to Pot Melbourne tomorrow afternoon. I have a booking on the big red and white boat tomorrow night and a GTG pass approved for home quarantine so I am all good.

why were you allowed to go to Falls at all?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
email from Vail has not said whether or not there is a chance of reopening this season.
Gut feeling from everyone I chatted with on the hill was nah, the season is done. They canned 100 staff from Hotham and 50 from Falls before the lockdown so I get the feeling they are cutting their losses. I hope for the sake of regional and Melbs people, the lockdown is short and they spin the lifts again for you guys but the realist in me says nope.

backcountry

Hard Yards
Mar 20, 2008
Ummmm because I come from Tasmania and before 1 pm today was free to travel to Falls Creek. Why on earth would I not be allowed?
Because you came via Metro Melbourne. Why should someone from Tas be allowed to go to Falls when Melbourne residents can’t go? I reckon you should have stayed in Tassie in the first place

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Because you came via Metro Melbourne. Why should someone from Tas be allowed to go to Falls when Melbourne residents can’t go? I reckon you should have stayed in Tassie in the first place
Give it a rest! Travelling through a LGA without local interaction ain’t the same.

So glad you got a micro-season @almontyrat

backcountry

Hard Yards
Mar 20, 2008
Give it a rest! Travelling through a LGA without local interaction ain’t the same.

So glad you got a micro-season @almontyrat

I live in a Melbourne LGA with no cases and I am fully vaccinated, should I have been allowed to go to Falls too? I say it’s completely unfair that people from interstate swan in and travel through locked down areas and go to Falls.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Is called transit, if you knew me at all you would know that I am an absolute rule follower. It is completely allowed for people to enter the state via either the Port or the Airport as long as they transit straight through greater Melbourne metro. As a full vaxed person from a state with no covid, I am less risk to the resorts than joe blow from Shepparton...

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I live in a Melbourne LGA with no cases and I am fully vaccinated, should I have been allowed to go to Falls too? I say it’s completely unfair that people from interstate swan in and travel through locked down areas and go to Falls.
Last time I checked Falls isn’t exclusively for Melbournians….

Sure I reckon both of us - both vaccinated and in a pandemic- free LGA - should also be able to access the resorts. But that’s a separate issue.

Maybe take it to the Vic restrictions thread….

We’re all over this, but I can’t see any easy out for Victoria just yet.

Can’t see Vail keeping the mountain open now. The downhill season is done.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
surely you would want everyone in eligible LGAs and states to be going to the resort to put some money into the alpine businesses.

transit through Melb was definitely permitted.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
No, you live in Melbourne Metro. It sucks.

The rest of us wished @almontyrat a good time and I am actually gutted for her.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
From the angle on that chair it looks windy up there...
1629844090725.png

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Reactions: Chaeron

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
The 30 dayer, I applied as soon as Victoria locked NSW out but the response was I could still use NSW slopes (pretty poor considering I ski in Vic & haven't skied here for 15 odd years). Even when NSW stay at home orders were issued, it was knocked back. 3rd time lucky.
Had you selected Falls as your primary resort?

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Dear Falls Creek Stakeholders,

Falls Creek Resort Management wish to advise staff, stakeholders and residents that snowclearing operations will be occurring in the main village area from1:00pm Wednesday 1st September 2021.

Please use caution as heavy machinery will be in operation during this time.

Please ensure snowmobiles/oversnow vehicles are moved well off the roads to facilitate this process.

Village roads will revert to wheeled vehicle access once the entire village is cleared - further information will be provided at this time. We anticipate this will be done by 5pm Thursday 2nd September.

Snowgums Lane clearing will occur once other areas are completed.

If you require any additional information, please contact the FCRM office on 03 5758 1200 during office hours.

Although we are currently in a government-imposed lockdown there are still a number of winter residents and guests staying within the village, so we ask you to please support us in getting this message out as far and wide as possible.

Kind Regards,
Falls Creek Resort Management

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
Had you selected Falls as your primary resort?
I didn't realise it was an option, it's the first I've heard of it. I'll have to be more aware next year if I go a season pass again.

I had only heard about blocking out your preferred week (after the nomination period closed) but it still wouldn't work for me as we down 2 week blocks down there. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Sadie

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I didn't realise it was an option, it's the first I've heard of it. I'll have to be more aware next year if I go a season pass again.

I had only heard about blocking out your preferred week (after the nomination period closed) but it still wouldn't work for me as we down 2 week blocks down there. :)
Yeah you could do a block of that’s when you are going to use the pass, the core season if you’ll use it all the time, a primary resort or all resorts.
I did primary resort and core season which means to trigger a refund, I needed to be locked out of falls for 30 consecutive days or falls itself had to be locked down for more than 7 days to trigger some sort of refund.

The resort entry is able to be refunded as well. Full refund if used less than 3 days.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Dan's announcement just now is that there will be no lifting of Vic Covid travel restrictions until September 23 and then to a 10km only limit. So I think that's it for the season at Falls, Hotham and Buller. I was going to get up for at least some ski touring at Falls with my family in the upcoming school hols and do some laps on skins on a few slopes. So please get vaccinated everyone if you havent already and then maybe some of us can get up to Falls for some hiking and MTB before the end of 2021. And visit family and friends again.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Dan's announcement just now is that there will be no lifting of Vic Covid travel restrictions until September 23 and then to a 10km only limit. So I think that's it for the season at Falls, Hotham and Buller. I was going to get up for at least some ski touring at Falls with my family in the upcoming school hols and do some laps on skins on a few slopes. So please get vaccinated everyone if you havent already and then maybe some of us can get up to Falls for some hiking and MTB before the end of 2021. And visit family and friends again.
True for Melbourne

Still a glimmer of hope for regional. Buller may take advantage of that and open some lifts. Maybe just residents and day trippers. VR not very likely. But for xc and touring there could be some opportunities .

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
True for Melbourne

Still a glimmer of hope for regional. Buller may take advantage of that and open some lifts. Maybe just residents and day trippers. VR not very likely. But for xc and touring there could be some opportunities .
Yes, just heard that regional could be eased earlier so I hope that happens. I think the sledgehammer approach to lockdown the whole state when cases are almost all in the NW suburbs of Melbourne and in Shepparton, bar several isolated cases in Dandenong and Berwick, is a crude measure.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass