News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yes, just heard that regional could be eased earlier so I hope that happens. I think the sledgehammer approach to lockdown the whole state when cases are almost all in the NW suburbs of Melbourne and in Shepparton, bar several isolated cases in Dandenong and Berwick, is a crude measure.
Shepp is a bit of a crossroads with connections to many regions, eg all along the murray, mallee, north east, central vic incl bendigo and ballarat. There were signs of virus in a few other regional areas. Slamming the gate on that was a pretty high priority. We expected it, maybe a few hours later than it came but pretty much that day.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
What I'm most disappointed with is missing having the holiday and travel and skiing experiences we wanted to have with our teens over the last two years. They will be busy in year 12 next year then be doing their own thing more post-high school. Though if Mum and Dad subsidise future ski trips they will be keen to come along on some of those occasions. You don't a get those last years of your kids adolescence back again.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
What I'm most disappointed with is missing having the holiday and travel and skiing experiences we wanted to have with our teens over the last two years. They will be busy in year 12 next year then be doing their own thing more post-high school. Though if Mum and Dad subsidise future ski trips they will be keen to come along on some of those occasions. You don't a get those last years of your kids adolescence back again.
Yep getting the same feelings about skiing full stop, will be getting too old, limited years left to climb all over the main range .

• Sad
Reactions: snowgum

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Really they should be doing this anyway to keep it in Shepp.
Belgium put piles of sand and containers on roads so they couldnt be used and monitored the main ones.
Thinking that people will be sensible is a bit hopeful.
Think of all the rural businesses that could still be operating if Shepp was isolated until its free.

I looked at the map at the start of the outbreak and concluded it would not really be feasible.
most of the small roads are to access small farms, they tend to be a bit of a grid so you could hop around roadblocks if not done on every road. that would mean cutting off a lot of people. not so bad for orchards out of season but not so good if you have livestock, or people who need access to town for food, health etc

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria

Friday 3 September​

Summary
wind.png
Min 5 Max 9 Rain. Very windy. Possible rainfall: 25 to 40 mm Chance of any rain: 100%
rain_100.gif

Partly cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of showers, most likely in the late afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Heavy falls possible at night.

Saturday 4 September​

Summary
snow.png
Min 1 Max 5 Rain, heavy at times. Wind easing. Possible rainfall: 35 to 60 mm Chance of any rain: 100%
rain_100.gif

Cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of rain, tending to snow showers later in the day. Possible heavy falls during the morning.

Yucky not missing much on Friday or Saturday.

Reactions: Chaeron

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
I booked a 3 day trips at FC on 4-6 August and got 2 days of skiing before lockdown announcement starting on 6 Aug while I was skiing.

So I contacted the RMB and Vail for a refund for 1 out of the 3 days.

I've already got a refund from RMB for the resort entry last week, but am yet to receive refunds for my lift tickets.

Anyone in the same position as me?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I have not submitted yet so not sure of the process & timeline

IIRC the policy said some types of refunds would not be paid till October. VR would not be on their own there. Last year I gave my sister tickets to 2 MSO concerts. Refunds were not processed until after the planned date of each concert, even though they were cancelled months ahead.

For other refund types, I assume they are working through a huge pile of claims with limited staff and will get to them all eventually.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
50 mm at home.
Amazing in the other thread to see the Hunter being so dry.
Rainwise the last 1- 2 years in NE Vic since the hot fire summer of 2019/20 have been awesome for farmers.
Meanwhile in NW tassie the sun is shining and the grass is growing, definitely spring I have spent the day in the veggie garden pulling out weeds and getting things ready for planting.
I put in for my refund as soon as I got back from Vicco, I accepted that I won't get back up there this season so no point holding out. The only problem is I am probably only due a few pro rata dollars as I was all resorts core season. Oh well such is life...

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
I booked a 3 day trips at FC on 4-6 August and got 2 days of skiing before lockdown announcement starting on 6 Aug while I was skiing.

So I contacted the RMB and Vail for a refund for 1 out of the 3 days.

I've already got a refund from RMB for the resort entry last week, but am yet to receive refunds for my lift tickets.

Anyone in the same position as me?

Update to this. I got the refund from the resort for the lift tickets.

Surprisingly, I got more than I expected. 3 days lift cost me $338 with early discount. I missed 1 day of skiing, so was expecting to get back slightly over $110 for refund.

I got $198. Not sure how they calculated it, but I'm not going to complain :whistle:

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
Nice!
I'm in the same boat, looked at the falls website on the 6th to see what to do. Think it was email your invoice to somewhere?
Now it just says all unused tickets will be refunded automagically. My ticket was partially used so have no idea what to do.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Why are they holding out on announcing closure?
I can think of a couple of reasons
  1. better positioned for gov assistance if the only reason they are shut is because of gov restrictions. if they shut for their own reasons it may reduce what they might get.
  2. very slim possibility of running a couple of lifts for regional if they think demand is there

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Nice!
I'm in the same boat, looked at the falls website on the 6th to see what to do. Think it was email your invoice to somewhere?
Now it just says all unused tickets will be refunded automagically. My ticket was partially used so have no idea what to do.
I assume that was a question for me?

For the lift tickets, I thought of waiting and did nothing, but after a week or two, I submitted the 'Cancellation Request' form at the bottom of this page https://www.skifalls.com.au/contact-us

For the resort entry, I filled in the Refund Request form as per https://www.fallscreek.com.au/statewide-lockdown-again/.

Hope that helps.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Got an Email from RMB yesterday saying my parking pass refund has been approved and will hit my CC in a few days. I wonder if I will get the full amount or pro rata as I did actually use it for a whole three hours before lockdown. Either way I am happy.

I got the Thanks for your refund request but we are snowed under auto email from Vail. At least I know they have received my request. I think I fall into the category of don't apply until October so I am just letting it sit . No point stressing, I either will or wont get a decent chunk of money back (I suspect the later but so be it). The money left my account so long ago that any refund will be like a Christmas present anyway.

Wondering if I should start booking accommodation for next year... I suspect it going to be even more of a shit fight than this season was.

Reactions: cheekydingo

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I think you get full refund from RMB if used less than 3 days.

I hope I get full refund as I’d registered to go a few times but didn’t make it.

Reactions: almontyrat

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Ours is also on the car window but even though we have skied a total of 3 days this year, I think we stayed 7 or 8 nights in total.

Returned our permit in 3 pieces sticky taped to a piece of A4 paper last season.
They had no problem with that.
We took the rollover option rather than a refund though.
Is that an option this time?

Reactions: Chaeron

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Think I'll wait until season end to submit my family's refund requests. That will be within 30 days of the easing of the current lockdown and even then we won't be allowed up to Falls or Hotham from Melbourne until some point in October or November. With the two earlier resort closures at Hotham (the primary resort selected) and Falls and with this current long lockdown to cover more than half of the 79 day core Oz season we should get about a 15% refund out of the max 28% we're due after skiing for 5 days in July. Better than nothing. I'll use it for a 2022 Falls early bird RMB vehicle pass.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
EPIC pass refund confirmed. Should have refund in 5-7 business days
Bring on 2022.

Let’s hope it snows every day for 6 months running, the lifts are open every day, Vail drops its prices, the RMB doesn’t lift entry prices, everyone is vaccinated, all borders are open, world peace breaks out, climate change is stopped in its tracks and all accountants are given the Order of Australia and we win the Ashes.

2022: “What were we thinking, bring back the good old days of 2020/2021.”

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass