News Falls Creek news and chat

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Wonders, is it worth ANOTHER trip accross Bass Strait to try and pick up where I left off... Given I have already had my resort entry refund approved and submitted my Epic refund request, the answer is no (sadly). Pluss one bout of home quarantine was enough thanks.

• Sad
Reactions: currawong

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
any word on what will run?
any word on local testing? (or is it an essential reason to travel tomorrow to get tested for alpine travel ?)
I've got no inside word on lifts but would guess Halleys, Towers, Mousetrap and Drovers. Think they can run these with 'permanent' staff.
Food and Bev will be interesting capped at 10 patrons inside.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Wonders, is it worth ANOTHER trip accross Bass Strait to try and pick up where I left off... Given I have already had my resort entry refund approved and submitted my Epic refund request, the answer is no (sadly). Pluss one bout of home quarantine was enough thanks.
I know you are keen but things could change quickly like last time.

Reactions: almontyrat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne

Falls Creek is open for business!

Victorian Lockdown ends 11:59pm Thursday

8 September 2021​

Today the Victorian Premier announced the easing of government restrictions for Victoria from 11:59pm Thursday (9/09) allowing Regional Victorians to travel again to regional locations including the Alpine Resorts.

Key resort operational changes to be aware of are noted below:

Parking in the village
From Friday 10th September, resort access permits will be strictly enforced to cater for our regional guests:
  • Only Authorised Business (red) Permit and Emergency Service Permits holders are allowed to permanently park in the village
  • Village access is available for 30-minutes only
  • Day parking is only for day parking, not overnight. Please park in the correct overnight parking areas
  • Road 24 staff permits do not allow access to any areas except Road 24
  • Mountain staff (purple) and Residents (blue) overnight parking is in the Lower Windy car park
Workers who live off the mountain must provide evidence from their employer of their current employment, otherwise, they will be subject to the mandatory COVID test requirement every 72 hours.
Mandatory COVID Testing
Travel to regional Victorian Alpine Resorts is permitted provided visitors have had a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours before entering the resort. Children under 12 years are not included. Visitors must be able to show evidence of a negative test as a condition of entry into Falls Creek resort.

Isolation is not required for asymptomatic testing. Therefore, visitors do not need to isolate if they are getting tested for the purpose of coming to the resort.

Workers are only highly recommended to take a COVID test prior to arrival at the resorts.

Checkpoint
A checkpoint will be in place at Mt.Beauty to ensure access to the resort is in compliance with the latest government directions.

Ski Lift Operations
Falls Creek Ski Lifts has announced that the ski lifts will be operating as of Friday 10 September. For more information please visit skifalls.com.au.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Would like to stay at Falls next week but it seems you can only book with wife or partner .
I havent stayed there in more than 20 years, since it is close .
Any suggestions about places that are open ?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
2022 passes on sale
No indication yet of when resort entry goes on sale or 2022 pricing. Epic pricing unchanged from 2021.

FCRM frequently combine spring entry and early bird normally overlapping with start of October school holidays…

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Does Falls usually have more open by late sept than the current three lifts? I know it varies year to year but just curious what general pattern is. I would guess that this is fairly typical given there's not a lot of snowmaking on the other slopes. I know thredbo would be patchy and soggy for bottom half of the runs and that Perisher would have Guthega and Smiggins on their last days by end of Sept but not sure about the Vic resorts. Cheers.

Reactions: currawong

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
In a normal year you'd expect that Towers, Ruined Castle & Scotts would be still going strong as the face south & hold the snow well past the close of lifts. Lakeside and Inter close reasonably early and Summit may still run depending upon cover/melt.
And is there much variety between scotts, ruined castle and Towers? When we were down on opening weekend only Towers was open but the whole of that side looks fairly similar.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
And is there much variety between scotts, ruined castle and Towers? When we were down on opening weekend only Towers was open but the whole of that side looks fairly similar.
Whilst on appearances they might looking similar in length and vertical, each area skis surprisingly different. Towers area has a more consistent fall line. Scotts is flattish for the first half, you build rhythm before working harder on the fun and fast second half. Ruined Castle is bowl shaped with a steeper start tapering out to big fun GS style turns on the lower half.

At risk of being banned, there is also the areas of Shadow Ridge and Quartz Ridge to explore for a more off piste style experience.

Also to the skiers right off Ruined Castle is a cornice, you don't need much speed to launch big, as my son found out a few years ago.
20190827_152313.jpg

Conners

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2013
South Coast SA
Whilst on appearances they might looking similar in length and vertical, each area skis surprisingly different. Towers area has a more consistent fall line. Scotts is flattish for the first half, you build rhythm before working harder on the fun and fast second half. Ruined Castle is bowl shaped with a steeper start tapering out to big fun GS style turns on the lower half.

At risk of being banned, there is also the areas of Shadow Ridge and Quartz Ridge to explore for a more off piste style experience.

Also to the skiers right off Ruined Castle is a cornice, you don't need much speed to launch big, as my son found out a few years ago.
20190827_152313.jpg
Big question is ‘Did he land it!’ ;)

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS

You have also got Sundown which is very cruisey for some big turns between the top of Eagle's & Scott's as well as South Face & Boomerang out past RC however the snow gets quite thin the wider out you travel.

Reactions: GobrinIce

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
There are minor differences in aspect , Scotts faces more west , far Ruined / Big Dipper has more off piste and faces ESE and the backside SW .
None are prolonged and steep by Hotham standards.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
There are minor differences in aspect , Scotts faces more west , far Ruined / Big Dipper has more off piste and faces ESE and the backside SW .
None are prolonged and steep by Hotham standards.

all of Falls’ back runs could really do with another 100m or so in vertical and maybe 3-500m in length but then again, it’s probably the most reliable on piste terrain in Vic and has nurtured 10s thousands of newby skiers over the decades. Provides a lot fun for blue+ skiers, so it can’t all be bad. :cool:

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
all of Falls’ back runs could really do with another 100m or so in vertical and maybe 3-500m in length but then again, it’s probably the most reliable on piste terrain in Vic and has nurtured 10s thousands of newby skiers over the decades. Provides a lot fun for blue+ skiers, so it can’t all be bad. :cool:
Yeah its like that .
I have prolly skied Falls 500 times give or take 200 and Sun Valley is very reliable.
Hotham when its good is very very good but when its bad its horrid.

Last edited:

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
Yep, that's a wrap for 2021 - so much promise, decent consistent snowfalls even if it was a little slow to start then rolling lockdowns.

Missed out this year (again), next year is HSC year so booking may not happen.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass