Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
EARLY BIRD RESORT ENTRY
The date to purchase Early Bird Resort Entry for 2022 has yet to be announced.

Sign up to our newsletter and keep your eye on Falls Creek socials to stay in the loop.

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
@currawong - have you heard anything?
not yet

i could think of a few possible reasons
  • maybe max day rate has not yet been approved by gov and they don't want to set early bird rate till they are confident of day rate. IIRC the resorts can't set it themselves
  • the new statewide rmb restructure might be complicating things
  • covid has interfered with early bird the last 2 years. maybe trying to covid proof arrangements

Reactions: Chaeron

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I was interested on purchasing a membership to the Keiwa Valley Ski Club. Unfortunately the only member I know is the girl who wants to sell me her membership....any suggestions to an alternative route?

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I was interested on purchasing a membership to the Keiwa Valley Ski Club. Unfortunately the only member I know is the girl who wants to sell me her membership....any suggestions to an alternative route?
Maybe just contact the club and ask. Our club has a process for prospective members who don't know a member. eg You know lots of other people at FC so they might be interested in then as referees, or they might want to have you stay and see if you fit in

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe just contact the club and ask. Our club has a process for prospective members who don't know a member. eg You know lots of other people at FC so they might be interested in then as referees, or they might want to have you stay and see if you fit in
It's for my son actually. I just had a long chat with her and she has spoken to the President and he was not keen on approaching it in any other way.
Hopefully another club has memberships and I'll look at that.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
It's for my son actually. I just had a long chat with her and she has spoken to the President and he was not keen on approaching it in any other way.
Hopefully another club has memberships and I'll look at that.
As a member, she is probably allowed to see the list of members. You could ask her to obtain that and then see if you recognise any other names.

(of course there are other clubs with memberships available too ;) )

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
As a member, she is probably allowed to see the list of members. You could ask her to obtain that and then see if you recognise any other names.

(of course there are other clubs with memberships available too ;) )
They seem a bit 'old school' quoted privacy issues when she asked to see the member list... she may have found a school mate of my son's, so we'll see how we go.
Other clubs would be fine, he just wants it to be a club where they don't have too many members so he can get up regularly. He can go midweek so that will probably work well for him.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They seem a bit 'old school' quoted privacy issues when she asked to see the member list... she may have found a school mate of my son's, so we'll see how we go.
Other clubs would be fine, he just wants it to be a club where they don't have too many members so he can get up regularly. He can go midweek so that will probably work well for him.
It looks like it's a company, not an incorporated assoc. The latter has to make the register of members available to a member. I don't think a company does.

Good luck.

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
Was tentatively booked into Nelse lodge for this year and just got an email saying - New owners, not accepting any bookings.:(

The couple who took over from Ros & Graham would have only been there 3 years tops but 2 years of covid has probably had a major impact on them.

Has it sold a second time in recent years?

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The couple who took over from Ros & Graham would have only been there 3 years tops but 2 years of covid has probably had a major impact on them.

Has it sold a second time in recent years?
Last time it sold was Feb 2018, which was when Ros and Graham sold, so who knows why they aren't taking bookings.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Nice staff lodge!
like i said, wild speculation.

i haven't been inside nelse for many years. it was beautiful in the 80s but I've heard comments that it was looking a bit tired in recent years. before astra was built trakkers was the poshest on the hill. now a staff lodge

Reactions: Apresski
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I reckon some joker has put a great big black plastic bag over the housing because no way is it 50C at Falls.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Seve de Campo to represent Australia in xc skiing in Beijing. Congratulations!
I became aware of Seve some years back (2017 ?) when he was training around the lake with one of the elite squads (not me!) and I think his name came up in the night sprints as well.
The night before Hoppet races, I was doing my own preparation, eating and drinking at Elk restaurant. Who should be working there but Seve? I asked him how he was going to go in the Birkebeiner (21k). He replied without hesitation, " I intend to win it." Of course, he did.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
First trip to falls this year as literally cannot get accom at perisher for our dates 2nd week august and Falls is only resort we haven’t done. Looking at FCH or Pretty Valley. We are chilled couple and noise/people enjoying themselves is fine but a bit concerned both options might be too kid friendly? Anyone stayed there recently. If not will probably look at Attunga or summit as they are the other place with availability that works. Thanks

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They are both kid friendly and have very good reputations. I don't think FCH is "too" kid friendly. IIRC they have kid's dinner separately to adults and some supervision in another room while adults are eating. @Ian D was a regular guest who may be able to comment more.

Rowdiness at FCH is likely to be particularly around Tue & Thur arvos when they have harvey happy hour. The restaurant is guests only for dinner. It's pretty chilled at lunchtimes unless there is a fundraiser

@elSpike stayed at Pretty Valley not too long ago and can probably comment on how adult friendly it is. I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about it.

Other differences
If you want to start the day at ski school or easy slopes, PV has the advantage. If you want to hit the summit or inter then FCH is right there

IIRC PV includes lunches but FCH doesn't.

On a sunny day it's hard to beat the deck at FCH for a beer

FCH needs oversnow unless you fancy a fairly long uphill walk. PV is very close to the main road.

Reactions: Ian D and LDJ

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
@currawong @chriscross useful thanks. Seems like either would be fine. Will see if wife wants meals in or to go out. We are both fit advanced boarders/skiers so the walking or initial runs not an issue but wife was talking about trying skiing so PV near ski school could work well.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
@currawong @chriscross useful thanks. Seems like either would be fine. Will see if wife wants meals in or to go out. We are both fit advanced boarders/skiers so the walking or initial runs not an issue but wife was talking about trying skiing so PV near ski school could work well.
I think both include evening meals, but you should check.

PV is at the bottom of the village, FCH near the top. if you want to go out, do you want to walk uphill on the way there or back :)

there are eating places a bit above FCH, and in between them, and closer to PV. PV has an english pub style restaurant too.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
First trip to falls this year as literally cannot get accom at perisher for our dates 2nd week august and Falls is only resort we haven’t done. Looking at FCH or Pretty Valley. We are chilled couple and noise/people enjoying themselves is fine but a bit concerned both options might be too kid friendly? Anyone stayed there recently. If not will probably look at Attunga or summit as they are the other place with availability that works. Thanks
FCH is only really noisy around Harvey Hour. Pretty Valley is not that far from The Man, which stays open pretty late and can be a bit noisy when people are on their way home. Attunga would be quieter.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
FCH is only really noisy around Harvey Hour. Pretty Valley is not that far from The Man, which stays open pretty late and can be a bit noisy when people are on their way home. Attunga would be quieter.
In the end only PV available dates we need flying in from Brisbane but I’m sure will be fine. Any skiing after COVID will be amazing

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
For anyone interested, the Alpine shire have finally put some money into BHP road and re-sealed it up to the East Gippsland section. Looks like it will get a centre line and edge line also. Very smooth and quiet to drive on. For now anyway. Just in time for the Scody.

slotele

One of Us
Jun 3, 2016
Road is very smooth. Though this bit between Watchbed crk and Langford's gap still goes uphill in both directions.

IMG_20220218_180007340.jpg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Road is very smooth. Though this bit between Watchbed crk and Langford's gap still goes uphill in both directions.

IMG_20220218_180007340.jpg
_SAM7178.JPG

This is what that section of the BHP road looks like in XC ski season. Those are my outward bound and return Nordic ski tracks. I seem to keep to the left . I don't know why. There was no one out there and cars are not able/permitted to use the road during the ski season.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
There was no one out there and cars are not able/permitted to use the road during the ski season.
That is obvious to most except East Gippsland Shire who were given Commonwealth funding to make its section of the road safer. What did it do? It painted orange lines and replaced all the white road markers with orange ones. This was to make the road more visible in winter when it us covered in snow and closed to traffic. I suggested a few barriers would have been better and they disagreed. The next week a car went over the edge and started a bushfire.

Reactions: Hully and Chaeron

Prongs

First Runs
Feb 27, 2022
Does anyone recall what the single day/multi day ski pass cost was in 2021? Trying to use it as a guide to whether an epic pass is a good idea or not. At this stage Ill be skiing 3 full days and hopefully 2 half days later this year.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Does anyone recall what the single day/multi day ski pass cost was in 2021? Trying to use it as a guide to whether an epic pass is a good idea or not. At this stage Ill be skiing 3 full days and hopefully 2 half days later this year.

Here's the 2020 prices:

And here's the thread on last year's pricing debacle:

I seem to recall that there were no discounts during school holidays, but other than that I didn't pay too much attention as I was in Vic and unable to cross into NSW anyway.

Prongs

First Runs
Feb 27, 2022
Here's the 2020 prices:

And here's the thread on last year's pricing debacle:

I seem to recall that there were no discounts during school holidays, but other than that I didn't pay too much attention as I was in Vic and unable to cross into NSW anyway.

Thanks - Did Falls have a similar debacle to Perisher?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass