News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
some people have been getting nervous about early bird resort entry season passes. email today said that they will be announcing them "very soon"

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Is that "reform" bill going to be good news or bad news?
I guess it may depend on whether you are skier or a ski lodge owner

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Is that "reform" bill going to be good news or bad news?
I guess it may depend on whether you are skier or a ski lodge owner
I'm sceptical that it will benefit either lodge owners or skiers. IMHO efficiencies through amalgamation of resorts is a pipe dream. worse, centralising is bound to make the bureaucracy even less responsive to the needs of businesses and customers. but I guess we wait and see, with fingers crossed that some good will come of it

Reactions: Chaeron and djam

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Oh? Is this a return then to the old Alpine Resorts Commission?
A good idea that didn't work

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Oh? Is this a return then to the old Alpine Resorts Commission?
A good idea that didn't work
hard not to feel that way

they have not announced anything about how actual workers will be reorganised, just the single board at the top and a CEO reporting to that board. it sounds like they intend to keep staff distributed through the resorts. IMHO that tends to drift, with managers tending to favour physical proximity

wait and see and hope

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I've been told that Dinner Plain will have some RV parking spots this winter. At Scrubbers Lane overflow car park where in summer an RV can start file two nights with saves to the nearby public toilets. Personally with a fee but there are no details on the Dinner Plain website yet. Something Falls could consider with lots of car park space? Might need some policing, it could become "carpark party central".

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've been told that Dinner Plain will have some RV parking spots this winter. At Scrubbers Lane overflow car park where in summer an RV can start file two nights with saves to the nearby public toilets. Personally with a fee but there are no details on the Dinner Plain website yet. Something Falls could consider with lots of car park space? Might need some policing, it could become "carpark party central".
I'd like to see FC encourage RVs in summer. Not so sure about winter.

in any case it's pretty hard to see it happening in winter. there is not enough parking on weekends as it is, accom operators would go ballistic, as would other business owners. sad but true that the focus is on "high value" visitors

in summer, RVs would probably have a positive impact on village income. not the case in winter

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I'd like to see FC encourage RVs in summer. Not so sure about winter.

in any case it's pretty hard to see it happening in winter. there is not enough parking on weekends as it is, accom operators would go ballistic, as would other business owners. sad but true that the focus is on "high value" visitors

in summer, RVs would probably have a positive impact on village income. not the case in winter
As a low income earner, I would love nothing more than to be able to doss in my vehicle in the car park but its just sooooo not a good idea in winter for the resort. As Curra suggests, accommodation operators would (rightly) go bonkers not to mention the safety aspects and logistics. Imagine uni bum guy parking up his clapped out falcon station wagon, running the engine all night due to only having a crap sleeping bag and asphyxiating himself. Or arthritic cheap skate lady (myself) getting skittled by a snow clearing vehicle as she trundles across the car park (which needs to be cleared) in the wee small hours to visit the loo.

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
How well do RVs go on BHP Rd?

Windy Corner is just that, windy. Icy roads/carparks & a big sail area of an RV aren't a good mix.

How much spending do the RV crowd do in the village or are they purely sightseers not spending a cent?

That's the negative spin, there must be some positives.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Don't be Al; I'd rather have a job and be earning some money.
However there isn't much call for an old cook with a bad back.
The Boss is sponsoring this season as a combined X'Mas and B'Day pressie.
A mate did approach Parks with a proposal to do a catered Tent Hilton out at PV during the winter but there were so many hurdles he was made to jump over that he quit the Outdoor Industry in frustration is now working as a maintenance contractor and earning some real money for a change

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

Windy Corner is just that, windy. Icy roads/carparks & a big sail area of an RV aren't a good mix.

How much spending do the RV crowd do in the village or are they purely sightseers not spending a cent?

driven sensibly should be no trouble. a gas tanker goes up there twice a week in winter

in summer I think RV people do spend. not at every stop, but as a treat every now and then. our RV trip in Tassie included some pretty expensive restaurants. not sure that is as true in winter for many van based skiers and boarders.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I'm reminded of Ernst's infamous remark when he owned the pub at Mt Buller.
He really hated the cross country skiers. He once said that cross country skiers came to Mt Buller with a twenty dollar note and one pair of underpants and changed neither over a week-end. A claim I strenuously denied: then and now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They've probably got longer arms & shorter pockets than the XC skiers ;) (no ticket, no visit to the village, self-reliant, no accommodation).
certainly the cliche about chookfooters, but not as true now

they wear lycra instead of army disposal pants and wool checked shirts. some even stay in paid accommodation on the hill. our club has a slowly increasing number of members whose main snow activity is xc.

still plenty who have nothing to do with the village. Ernst's remark has certainly been used at Falls, although with lower denomination notes. Not sure if he coined the remark when he was at FC or borrowed it

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
He used it many times the year I had to share a bedroom with him at Falls but it was first used when he owned Koororra at Mt Buller.
Not my best season; he liked to sleep with the window shut and I with the window wide open.
A legend but we grated on each other.

Reactions: currawong

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne

Fails could charge per night per person in exchange for a loo, rubbish disposal and water. Plus, the vehicles would be paying the Victorian Resort parking tax of $55 odd bucks per night.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Fails could charge per night per person in exchange for a loo, rubbish disposal and water. Plus, the vehicles would be paying the Victorian Resort parking tax of $55 odd bucks per night.
A shower would be nice too but baby wipes may have to do.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I guess it hasn't been announced to the public yet, so best I keep quiet. It has been announced to Vail staff.

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
Is there a valid reason not to release the park entry fee ? is it like the Frozen Orange Juice concentrate in Trading Places ? makes it a bit hard to plan ,,, any educated assessments or what was it last year ?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Is there a valid reason not to release the park entry fee ? is it like the Frozen Orange Juice concentrate in Trading Places ? makes it a bit hard to plan ,,, any educated assessments or what was it last year ?
Or the pork bellies? I'll look forward to finding out how much and when salty booked entry issues will be on sale in a CBD car park at 2am on the day. See you there @jabiru .

Reactions: jabiru

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
pretty sure that gov approval of entry fees is needed each year and can be slow coming. the reorganisation probably isn't helping

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
pretty sure that gov approval of entry fees is needed each year and can be slow coming. the reorganisation probably isn't helping

I can't imagine it would be vastly different to Baw Baw / Lake Mtn or Buller/Stirling though? They all have their entry prices up already (including season access)

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
early bird resort entry passes now available. They say 8 days is break even but AFAICT have not published day price. presumably somewhere between $45 and $50

Our Early Bird price is $400 ($350 for over 65s).
The Early Bird price is available until midnight on 1st May.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I might have to do that this year. Maybe Scottys little charity donation will arrive in time to help pay for it.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Failure to offer an All Resorts Pass under current new arrangements is a missed opportunity…
i don't think the new arrangement has officially started yet.

why would it follow that the new structure would favour an all resorts pass? it's supposed to be about efficiency, not improved services for customers. you could mount an argument that making it easier to visit multiple resorts would increase overall visitation. would be hard to prove and I suspect not actually true. people will either visit their home resort instead, or cough up the charge if they want variety

I'm not saying this is good, just fairly predictable.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Day entry when bought online is $55 and no discount for multiple days according to the link that Curra posted. Season permit is therefore just over 7 days worth. Pity they no longer do the pay a deposit and balance later. I don't have a spare $400 kicking about ATM.
good that the day price is there. i missed it earlier - and then screwed up my maths.

i think that dropping the split payment was probably covid related. i suspect that next year we will see the split payments again. early lock in is attractive for the resorts.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Another interesting point of contrast to both recent years, but also to Hotham this year, is the nature of the events that will give arise to a refund. For Hotham, you have to pay an extra $50 for the privilege of having a refundable pass (for anything other than statutory reasons)

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Day entry when bought online is $55 and no discount for multiple days according to the link that Curra posted. Season permit is therefore just over 7 days worth. Pity they no longer do the pay a deposit and balance later. I don't have a spare $400 kicking about ATM.
Neither do I but I do have access to ZipPay and I may resort to that

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Two years of rollovers, cancellations, refunds along with 2 years of price freezes, Isolation, and stalled resort revenue plus inflation boosts my sympathy levels for resort management and staff and also sees me forgive the price increases.

Not that it helps those of us short of a quid…

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Another interesting point of contrast to both recent years, but also to Hotham this year, is the nature of the events that will give arise to a refund. For Hotham, you have to pay an extra $50 for the privilege of having a refundable pass (for anything other than statutory reasons)
AIUI the last 2 years the gov has underwritten resort mgt for essential running costs. NFI what is planned this year, but if gov are making noises that it won't happen again, I could understand why Hotham might make that decision.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
AIUI the last 2 years the gov has underwritten resort mgt for essential running costs. NFI what is planned this year, but if gov are making noises that it won't happen again, I could understand why Hotham might make that decision.

That's true, but DELWP have to approve all the financial decisions while under the letter on comfort. The entry charge each year is limited by the state government, from memory the charges are not that far under the maximum set.

LDJ

One of Us
Apr 23, 2017
New to FC this year. Are there many ski shops? Any recommended hire/demo to buy ski shop in falls creek. Are there any with okay range or is it limited? Would likely be looking at something like black crow Orb, K2 sight or similar all-mountain/park/playful but relatively narrow/shorter ski compared to my existing 100mm 179cm skis I use OS.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
New to FC this year. Are there many ski shops? Any recommended hire/demo to buy ski shop in falls creek. Are there any with okay range or is it limited? Would likely be looking at something like black crow Orb, K2 sight or similar all-mountain/park/playful but relatively narrow/shorter ski compared to my existing 100mm 179cm skis I use OS.
Not really up with what has changed over the last few years. Central Snowsports was probably best for demo range. But best demo range of all would be Kiewa Valley Snowsports in Mt Beauty. Great if you want one pair for your whole stay, but not so good if you want to try a few.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass