1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Falls Creek news and chat

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Stiffler

Stiffler One of Us

Large some of cash?? That would be any normal family of 4 travelling to an Australian Ski resort for a days skiing, after resort entry, lift tickets, ski hire and a meal, you dont have much left over from a large bag of money......:thumbs:

Slide Sideways, 2ESki and Chaeron like this.
  2. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not so new. Those handing it in would be looked at closely. The law requires you to hand in to Police anything of value you find otherwise you are in fact stealing. The bonus for your honest endeavours is after the allocated time you can claim the prize if nobody else does and then the original owner has no legal right to it, as is the case here. This is only the case if you hand it in to Police. Don't hand valuable lost property over to the ski resort.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Xplora

Was up at Falls yesterday after a walk and still no place to get lunch open. The note on the door of Easy Eats (formerly the Gateway) stated it would be open in summer from 9.30am -2pm Wed -Sun. What was this place like over winter? Worth a try? The guy at Foodworks said there was just not enough people around this time of year for places to open. That is the attitude which persists but nobody comes because everything is closed.

Bogong and Chaeron like this.
  4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

unless fcrm actually subsidises someone to open, it's hard to see it changing any time soon is the quietest times. At least there is some slow improvement as a few businesses realise there can make enough to justify opening some of the time.

Easy Eats last winter - I went once and shared a huge nachos which was pretty good. +1 went another time and had something underwhelming - a burger maybe. If they are opening Wed-Sun I will try to make aneffort to go a few times over summer. Last summer Be Food was open a lot in summer. Not sure what is happening this year - it was on the market in winter

5. Xplora

Thanks Curra. We will give it a go and also check out Be Food. I know we have mentioned food a few times on this thread but it would be great to know of what is open. good and also where to avoid over summer. Do you think a thread of its own is worthwhile? Maybe there is one already. Easy Eats is well positioned for the through visitor but the rest of the main street looks like a ghost town. The little sign Milche put up on the main street is easily missed. The regulars know to look for it. I can understand people shutting down after winter to take a break. Hopefully things start happening at the start of summer. We have lots of visitors coming and usually like to take them out for a lunch at Falls.

Bogong likes this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You guys need to cut lunches !
    Suggest you purchase a loaf of bread and some and sandwich bags!

And pack a bit of play lunch for your Falls Ck wanders!

7. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

Or pick something up at the bakery in Mt Beauty on the way up.

8. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong and Chaeron like this.
  9. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I've been in contact with the Ranger at Mt Beauty about the poor state of Pretty Valley hut, and it seems that there is some new money available for either some major maintenance or a complete rebuild. If you have any thoughts about this perhaps you should contact Parks Vic at Mt Beauty and tell them what you think needs to be done. Personally I think the hut needs a complete rebuild but I would like to see some large winter sized camping platforms in the area and a few roofed picnic shelters for the grockles. If we don't get people interested in using the Park we will lose it

10. currawong

early bird resort entry season pass finishes on 20 Dec.

I can't find a link on the webpage but I think this link should get you to where you can order it.
    https://ssl2.connectintouch.com/wp.dll?Axis/FCRMVehicles

$376 all up with option to pay $99 now and remainder in early Feb

11. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Slalom likes this.
  12. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Jacko4650 likes this.
  13. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

14. Hully

Hully One of Us

...... and beware, if Snowtyres has success with the regulation changes he appears to be influencing unless you have wintertread snowtyres (particularly Nokian) you'll be having to fit chains to your 4WD for a heavy frost and above.

Rimey, TheFake, Chaeron and 1 other person like this.
  15. Chaeron

Summer Solstice Moonset over the South Face of the resort - taken from near Cope Hut. You can see the Ruined Castle lift pole line.

16. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

currawong likes this.
  17. currawong

#367 currawong, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Joe, Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  18. Xplora

Thanks Curra. Will have a full house today for the next week or more so a trip up there for lunch sounds on the cards. Drove through yesterday and it was packed. Lots of people out on BHP. Not a bad idea when you consider it is almost 20 degrees cooler there than Albury. Looked like Easy Eats was open yesterday.

currawong likes this.
  19. Xplora

We will be forgetting Easy Eats for the summer. $10 beers and $14 for a glorified sandwich. I asked if there was a lunch menu and she said that was it in the display. Already made and sitting there for hours. She did say they had chips. We left. Milche is still good but not sure if you will get served and done in the half hour allowed for parking now. Makes it a bit hard for a business. Surely the RMB could do something for a cafe which has looked after people every summer for a long time. Food was great again today.

currawong likes this.
  20. currawong

Sounds like easy eats has a severely cut back menu compared to winter.

Hopefully Fryers will still have the quality, if not the range, that we saw in winter.

I'm wondering about maybe parking near the lake and riding along the aqueduct to milch or fryers

Chaeron likes this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

FCRM doesn't care and never has

22. currawong

bit harsh. I don't like it either but it's not that they don't care.
    the parking restriction has 2 objectives
    • reduce traffic and thus chance of collisions with pedestrians and cyclists
    • prevent people parking in a way that impedes access by fire engines and other emergency vehicles
    I would like to think they could find a better compromise

23. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

How about FCRM run a shuttle bus between the 5-6 main nodes /Cafes during the busy Xmas /NY period & key long weekends like Easter? If frequent, it would encourage visitation, esp. to the upper areas of village & reduce congestion (people taking the mick with parking).

Surely such a service would not be too expensive for a large resort - for a limited period?

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Fresh mountain air. Views. Walking.

25. currawong

I think they do on odd occasions but usually they say suck it up and walk.

The village was just not designed to handle any significant volume of cars and there isn't budget for shuttles. A lot of people complain that they already spend too much on summer.

BTW I don't think even Thredbo run summer shuttles. Parking may not be banned there, but it can be pretty hard to find a spot near where you want to go. The Alpine hotel can't even guarantee that guests will get a park.

26. Xplora

Some of our visitors would prefer to have dedicated Ambulance parking if they had to walk up from the bottom. It is also a long walk up to find out it is closed or just serving chips. The RMB could make some one hour parking near those cafes who have dedicated to a summer service. If people start getting tickets for going to cafes then they will stop going.
    And with that attitude Falls will never become and all year round mountain. I know some are trying and they should be getting creds for it. I did see people walking up the hill with trolley bags so people are staying but dragging your bags up the hill.. is that really necessary.

Chaeron, currawong and Bogong like this.
  27. Chaeron

Falls Creek in summer - lovely when you get beyond the immediate constraints of the village.

Attached Files:

28. currawong

I completely agree that the current approach just isn't good enough. I've just tried to provide some background as to why they do it that way. balance is not right imo.
    longer parking near cafes would be great, but how do you stop others from taking those spots?

29. Xplora

If others take the cafe spot then it will only be for an hour in theory. There were plenty of spots around Milche last week. I don't think there would be any problem increasing the time in these spots. Most of the people parked there would be inside and if someone else grabs a one hour then it will not make too much difference. Make every spot a one hour then people don't have to get up from their table to move their cars after half hour. Whatever logic was used to make it half hour is flawed and clearly does not show any commitment to businesses.
    Heading up there again today for a walk with my niece. Hoping for a clearer view today than what we had on Mt. Wills yesterday. We will be packing a lunch today but will call into the supermarket for an ice cream after.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  30. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone heard anything about AGL taking over Bogong village? All current leaseholders to be bought out? How will this affect accommodation options in the FC area?

31. currawong

not really sure what is proposed but had heard something was afoot. I think the school will continue.
    bogong village is a bit of a basket case. when sec was privatised, the plan was to bulldoze the village. there was a huge outcry and lease arrangements were put in place instead. budget for gardening etc was slashed. everyone would like to see it succeed but there's just not enough visitation. I think there was a need to invest a lot in infrastructure too - and no one willing to stump up.

32. Xplora

There were a couple of articles in the Border Mail but they are now paywalled or at least the follow ups were pay only. AGL own the hand leases already and have made offers on the under-leases (about 25 in total). I think AGL wants out. It says the cost of maintenance is too high and the residents are not happy with the increase in fees to cover costs. You can read about it here or just google "bogong village lease AGL"
    https://www.pressreader.com/australia/alpine-observer/20180516/281492161964133

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I was at Bogong village last weekend. It was a total ghost town. In fact I have seen it stir at all in Green season.

skiflat likes this.
  34. Xplora

35. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Oh goody, another survey, more SWOT analyses. then file it away with all the others, much better than actually doing something!

36. Angleski

Angleski Hard Yards

I saw on the lift companies social media feed a "wee upgrade" of the Gully chair which included #makingitfaster. As there was a picture of an electric motor I would assume this is being replaced. Is there any information on how how much faster they are expecting the trip to be?

skiflat and Bogong like this.
  37. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I thought the intention was to use old eagle parts?? Whilst iirc speed limitation was somewhat hardware related, the use (read pedestrian) would still limit overall speed to dastardly slow in any event - but a slight (needed) improvement it will be.

38. currawong

Did it anyway.

Take the opportunity to say how it should be. Balance the input of people who aren't paying customers.

Chaeron likes this.
  39. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

While debating accommodation options for the upcoming season, I stumbled upon this - looks like Trackers has been sold?
    http://www.trackers.com.au/

Bogong likes this.
  40. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Why get rid of an established name?

currawong likes this.
  41. Hully

Hully One of Us

Staff accommodation.....?

42. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Another notch for the TAG empire

currawong likes this.
  43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I meant to type about Bogong village : " I have NOT seen it stir at all during the green season".

44. currawong

that was my thought. would take a lot to bring it up to the standard of astra.
    back in the early 80s, trackers was the swishest lodge on the hill.

Chaeron likes this.
  45. currawong

Gebi Auderer died last night, in palliative care in Austria.

one of the great guys at Falls Creek. :cry:

46. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We need a plan to divert traffic diwn into the Bogong Village every now and then...perhaps a staged rock fall incident....they drive through and come out the other road (track) .
    Now we have achieved exposure ....they see the panorama etc etc and think that’s pretty goood ....perhaps returning for more at a later date.

We would need Vic Rds on board with this ruse of course.

A few Mr Whippey vans etc etc could be constructive!

More thoughtfully...Mountain Bike Super Hub.....
    Some challenging tracks ......perhaps a race to Mt Ck Picnic Ground every year....

What of the Glamper Camping Parks Vicco experiments ??
    Just let your imaginations run wild with the Bogong Village.

47. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

I assume he started Gebis?

48. currawong

I can't recall the story that well but this is what I think is the gist. Gebi came out here as an instructor but he also worked in what was then Moloney's ski hire at Falls. Eventually he bought the shop. Wonderful skier. He was a promising racer in his youth until he had a bad accident. He was also a very generous and helpful guy. Not one to suffer fools gladly though and very cheeky and totally un-pc but in a rather charming way. You could say that what zirky was to hotham, and grimus to buller, gebi was to falls, at least to a large extent. He wasn't there in the earliest days but he was a very important part of Falls for a long time.

Happy for people to correct me if I've remembered wrongly.

Auska, Bogong, Hully and 2 others like this.
  49. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

You have summed up Gebi's role whilst he was a very active member of the resort's fabric. I was a frequent visitor to what was Moloney's ( I actually worked for the previous owner Geoff Henke during my second winter working at Falls Creek) to assist visiting media which they supported. He and his family lived in the valley for many years and both of his children are excellent skiers.

50. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

His lovely wife, Shona (I think) died from cancer many years ago.
    I remember when Growler used to run a restaurant out of Maloney's in the evening. Only seemed to serve schnitzel.