News Falls Creek news and chat

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Not really up with what has changed over the last few years. Central Snowsports was probably best for demo range. But best demo range of all would be Kiewa Valley Snowsports in Mt Beauty. Great if you want one pair for your whole stay, but not so good if you want to try a few.
Thanks for the info. Mt beauty would be tricky as getting direct transfer via bus from Albury airport to FC. Maybe I just come over all travel sick just as we pass through my beauty on the way…;)

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks for the info. Mt beauty would be tricky as getting direct transfer via bus from Albury airport to FC. Maybe I just come over all travel sick just as we pass through my beauty on the way…;)
Kiewa Valley Snowsports is very close to Falls Creek Coaches. If uuou are keen you could ask them how long they stop for and tgen see if you can prearrange sonething with KVS

Reactions: Chaeron and LDJ

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yogi's at FC has had a very good reputation for a long time. Certainly helped my daughter and various friends. Handy option on the mountain, Check out their website.
I think part of the issue with demo/hire is range. my suggestions were largely driven by that. Not meant to be critical of places that stock a limited number of brands

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
I can’t see an earlier post so AGL’s expression of interest for Bogong Village must be very recent news.

AGL is looking for a long term operator who shares our vision to reactivate the village in a new and exciting way, honouring the history and providing a sustainable future. We’ve called for expressions of interest in taking on the future tenure responsibility, management and operation of Bogong Village.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
I can’t see an earlier post so AGL’s expression of interest for Bogong Village must be very recent news.

AGL is looking for a long term operator who shares our vision to reactivate the village in a new and exciting way, honouring the history and providing a sustainable future. We’ve called for expressions of interest in taking on the future tenure responsibility, management and operation of Bogong Village.
Park Hyatt?

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
We stayed at Bogong Village many times during winter seasons back in the day.
Hubby worked for the SEC. I think we only missed our preferred dates with the ballot once.
Interesting fact: my eldest (30) took his first steps in one of those houses.
In recent years, my youngest would book a house for a week in summer. It was a good stepping stone for hiking with his friends.

Can't wait to see what they do.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
We stayed at Bogong Village many times during winter seasons back in the day.
Hubby worked for the SEC. I think we only missed our preferred dates with the ballot once.
Interesting fact: my eldest (30) took his first steps in one of those houses.
In recent years, my youngest would book a house for a week in summer. It was a good stepping stone for hiking with his friends.

Can't wait to see what they do.
Needs deep pockets to be done well. All year round potential to be realised.

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Needs deep pockets to be done well. All year round potential to be realised.
Love to see it but I'm very doubtful. A few have tried.

Maybe the world is changing enough (mountain biking, people seeking cooler mountain destinations for holidays in a warming world) world but it would be a brave decision to invest.

Providing staff accom in winter (augmented perhaps by some commercial accom) may be viable - but only because staff accom up top has become so difficult. Most winter workers want to be up top for the nightlife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaeron and Wally

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Nice weather for the weekend

8503E9BF-53BC-413B-B31C-4383CC743FA5.jpeg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Very disappointing for people who would usually visit a number of alpine resorts in one snowy season. But for me it probably means no trip to Hotham, maybe no Buller visit and a Stirling day becomes v expensive, even though I really like to get in a few trips there.
Come with me up the back way via Carter’s rd. and camp at Mt.number three refuge hut.
@beefa skiing
and I skied into Mt.Stirling resort for free last year using rd.no.3.The trip down to King Saddle has enough declivity to throw in some turns on ungroomed fire trails.

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Come with me up the back way via Carter’s rd. and camp at Mt.number three refuge hut.@beefa skiing and I skied iinto Mt.Stirling resort for free last year using rd.no.3.The trip down to King Saddle has enough declivity to throw in some turns on ungroomed fire trails.
The Razorback is a good adventure Mr T but it’s not for everyone.

It’s somewhat lower than the Stirling summit so it’s more for a good snow year or recent dump - just IMO. It also sees little grooming - I assume thats still the case? - so no good for really, skinny skis or those wanting to do teles (summit is king!).

But hell yeah, it’s something different when one is tired of throwing notes at Alpine resorts every week - a real wealth trap and much more expensive here in Vic than NSW.

And nice remote camping near Mt No.3 Hut - as you’ve shown in past years. It’s on my bucket list to do again. Maybe this is the year?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Razorback is a good adventure Mr T but it’s not for everyone.

It’s somewhat lower than the Stirling summit so it’s more for a good snow year or recent dump - just IMO. It also sees little grooming - I assume thats still the case? - so no good for really, skinny skis or those wanting to do teles (summit is king!).

But hell yeah, it’s something different when one is tired of throwing notes at Alpine resorts every week - a real wealth trap and much more expensive here in Vic than NSW.

And nice remote camping near Mt No.3 Hut - as you’ve shown in past years. It’s on my bucket list to do again. Maybe this is the year?
If the snow report for King Saddle inside The Mt. Stirling resort is good then we have action stations for XC skiing on BC skis for No. 3 road. I have a supply drop in place already up that way in readiness for another mission up there with @beefa skiing . It is not for everyone, some people like a nice ski resort and chalet etc. but No. 3 hut is warm and comfortable with good snow camping nearby. It is free and a bit of an adventure.
Forum members are welcome to come with us this season up from Tomahawk gap.
@pegasusSki and I are going to do a Fainters /Bogong Jack Saddle ski trip this year coming in from Big Hill car park. It is yet another way to dodge resort fees and have an adventure.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Come with me up the back way via Carter’s rd. and camp at Mt.number three refuge hut.
@beefa skiing
and I skied into Mt.Stirling resort for free last year using rd.no.3.The trip down to King Saddle has enough declivity to throw in some turns on ungroomed fire trails.
We need to remember this is a FC discussion. I will buy a season entry pass and Epic, have 2 bookings already, late August on mountain, late July in Mt B. Very much looking forward. As much as I enjoy touring, some time in resort is the best way to tune up skills and maximise time on skis, especially downhill. After the last couple of years, I will need the practice.

But thanks for your invitation - if conditions are favourable, I might join you. Touring around Stirling can be great fun but I do hold with SG that for downhill and tele fun/practice, the summit area and dugout bowl area offer the goods when well covered. I'm sure I'll end up there at some stage. But the All Resorts Pass made it easier to check the snow cams and just decide to go.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
early bird resort entry passes now available. They say 8 days is break even but AFAICT have not published day price. presumably somewhere between $45 and $50

Our Early Bird price is $400 ($350 for over 65s).
The Early Bird price is available until midnight on 1st May.

Did anyone get an email about early bird permits from FCRM? I didn't. I feel like we used to get one. :emoji_dizzy_face:

Heading off for a holiday next week so I'll pay today.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
haha! 10 mins after I post here, there is a facebook reminder from FC:

"Hop on for the ride, winter's nearly here and the Early Bird Sale for vehicle entry season permits will be ending soon. Don't miss your chance for the cheapest vehicle entry to the resort if you're coming for 8 or more days. Sale ends Sunday 1st May."

Reactions: Chaeron

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I still haven't received an email despite having bought an early bird seasons pass for at least the last 4 or 5 years. Not Happy Jan and very poor customer service. If I did not frequent these fora I would be oblivious.

Reactions: chriscross

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I have been offered dates by SCEG late in Sept. 2022 for Johnston's hut . :). I hope it snows just before we go.
I have booked and paid.
It will be BC XC day touring /skiing over the Mt. Nelse mountain top on spring corn from the hut to Spion Kopje and possibly to Roper's hut and back.

Last edited:

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Sounds like a stuff up then
I received an email on 4 April, pretty sure if that it was sent to me as a normal punter rather than someone subscribed to their info emails. I know others who have received it as "punters"

Reactions: Chaeron

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
I received an email on 4 April, pretty sure if that it was sent to me as a normal punter rather than someone subscribed to their info emails. I know others who have received it as "punters"
yep - i have received the original email and a number of follow ups

Reactions: Hully

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Today is the last day you can buy the full season entry pass for the cheaper rate for the whole season ( online )
for vehicle entry to Falls Creek for the 2022 ski season. I just spent Scummo's election bribe money on this venture.
The pass is not transferable. It is for your car number plate only.

So I will be going up there a lot!!

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Funny thing is I also used Scumbags paltry bribe money for mine, it was that or a bottle of good malt whisky or fill the car with Super
Us ski/ snow people need to catch up with/make up for two lost or restricted CV 19 riddled ski seasons.
I will be sleeping at Mountain creek in a tent or crashing at My friend's house in Myrtleford for many day visits for early season post beginner/ intermediate XC and Telemark 101 ski lessons etc. and dragging a sled out to snow camp at Cope hut and so on so it will pay for itself quite soon.

moskate

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2019
I'm guessing tickets prolly have to be on sale next week if they want to open by queen's birthday weekend?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I'll be keeping my "powder dry" until late June before attempting a first ski at Falls, when hopefully there will be a reasonable amount of terrain open and some natural snow may have accumulated off the piste. Maybe even some dry-ish powder!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Still no email received but I coughed up my $400 today before earlybird ends tomorrow night. I have 7 days on mountain and 5 days at Howman's and I think nine days at the park in Mount Beauty so I will def get value from it.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Us ski/ snow people need to catch up with/make up for two lost or restricted CV 19 riddled ski seasons.
I will be sleeping at Mountain creek in a tent or crashing at My friend's house in Myrtleford for many day visits for early season post beginner/ intermediate XC and Telemark 101 ski lessons etc. and dragging a sled out to snow camp at Cope hut and so on so it will pay for itself quite soon.
Tent will be cold. Hut at least has fireplace. Or consider Howman's Gap. Convenient location and some pretty keen skiers stay there. So company.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014

I only have the pole and skin; however if I had the $1.1k- spare I'd get the liner and floor, the liner and floor combo was only $840- extra last year but prices have moved as has freight cost, the stove weighs more than the tent.
A bit different to old army tent I remember from Mt Stirling, has that changed?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I've booked our little caravan into The Park at Mt Beauty for late June until the snow runs out and I bought an early bird car entry pass for the Forester. So the aim is to do at least 15 days at Falls lift skiing on Epic Passes and doing some ski touring. We'll do some extra driving up and down Hotham now and then for variety and when the snow warrants it. Oh, and to contribute $55 a day car entry to the Hotham resort coffers .

I was told I'd got one of the last two winter sites they are allocating for extended caravan stays this winter so if you want to do the same give them a call pronto. It's a $50 per week storage fee plus the usual rates for a powered site when using it. Deposit of four weeks ($200) and the stay starts from a nominated start date until September 11.

Having 240v power will be a novelty, we are usually off-grid when using the caravan. Having it based in Mt Beauty wi'll allow for impromptu trips from Melbourne when the weather, snow and work commitments align without having to think about booking expensive accommodation on or off the mountains. We're going to try to mostly ski midweek. Being able to arrive in the evening and go to bed with minimal fuss should be good. The teens will sleep in a tent when they are able to join us.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I've booked our little caravan into The Park at Mt Beauty for late June until the snow runs out and I bought an early bird car entry pass for the Forester. So the aim is to do at least 15 days at Falls lift skiing on Epic Passes and doing some ski touring. We'll do some extra driving up and down Hotham now and then for variety and when the snow warrants it. Oh, and to contribute $55 a day car entry to the Hotham resort coffers .

I was told I'd got one of the last two winter sites they are allocating for extended caravan stays this winter so if you want to do the same give them a call pronto. It's a $50 per week storage fee plus the usual rates for a powered site when using it. Deposit of four weeks ($200) and the stay starts from a nominated start date until September 11.

Having 240v power will be a novelty, we are usually off-grid when using the caravan. Having it based in Mt Beauty wi'll allow for impromptu trips from Melbourne when the weather, snow and work commitments align without having to think about booking expensive accommodation on or off the mountains. We're going to try to mostly ski midweek. Being able to arrive in the evening and go to bed with minimal fuss should be good. The teens will sleep in a tent when they are able to join us.
I'm surprised they (a) have the room to then (b) permit 'storage' as I would have assumed they booked out a lot. Do you have to move the van each time you want to 'store' it?
It is a beautiful deal if they have the space. The Parks near the NSW Resorts should allocate weekly sites to prevent the 100% full on Saturday nights but only 50% for the rest of the week.

Reactions: Goski

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I'm surprised they (a) have the room to then (b) permit 'storage' as I would have assumed they booked out a lot. Do you have to move the van each time you want to 'store' it?
It is a beautiful deal if they have the space. The Parks near the NSW Resorts should allocate weekly sites to prevent the 100% full on Saturday nights but only 50% for the rest of the week.
I have stayed there a bit over previous seasons and have been surprised how un full it is at that time of year. Chatted to a few folks who do as Goski has arranged and their vans are parked in a site for the duration of their booking. I have both camped (in a tent) and booked into yurts and never found a problem getting a booking. It will be interesting to see how busy it is this year as I suspect an influx of snow starved punters like myself.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I have stayed there a bit over previous seasons and have been surprised how un full it is at that time of year. Chatted to a few folks who do as Goski has arranged and their vans are parked in a site for the duration of their booking. I have both camped (in a tent) and booked into yurts and never found a problem getting a booking. It will be interesting to see how busy it is this year as I suspect an influx of snow starved punters like myself.
Went there for the 1st time last year and stayed 5 days - tenting. had a great time. Will be booking soon

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
The caravan stays in the same spot, which is a very big part of the attraction for the arrangement. I wouldn't want to have to arrive late at night, hitch up and move it and get it stabilised, plugged in and did the reverse on the last morning we left the park per trip. They still keep a proportion of powered sites as casual sites for weekend warriors and midweek masters. The storage rates have been increased this year and I think the number of winter stay sites have been decreased because demandfor casually using the caravan park during winter has increased.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass