News Falls Creek news and chat

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Its a beautiful little town and a great caravan park. Shame about the Park Entry fees, otherwise I would spend more time there. OK if you are a mob. I have an Epic Pass but the combined Parks Pass and Caravan Park fees continue to make Jindabyne and surrounds look too good for a single.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
The caravan stays in the same spot, which is a very big part of the attraction for the arrangement. I wouldn't want to have to arrive late at night, hitch up and move it and get it stabilised, plugged in and did the reverse on the last morning we left the park per trip. They still keep a proportion of powered sites as casual sites for weekend warriors and midweek masters. The storage rates have been increased this year and I think the number of winter stay sites have been decreased because demandfor casually using the caravan park during winter has increased.
That’s a ripper deal.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Was getting pretty run down. In particular I think the septic system was past its use by. No one had the money to fix it.

I think the state gov have kicked in some money and local council have taken on long term responsibility. It's been connected to the sewerage system and i think there had been some renovation/replacement of facilities - not quite sure.

It's a lovely spot. We had a van there for years before we took the big step and got a house.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Only discovered The Park last year.
Got two nights there and then we went into another 5 k lockdown so we headed home.
They gave us credit to use this year.
Enjoyed our stay there, some powered sites a little small but such a beautiful well run park.
Hoping to book for mid August. (Better get onto it!)

Reactions: Goski and Chaeron

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Village roads will be closed on monday due to expected snow. Reopening will be decided after the storm.

And

Bogong High Plains Rd will be closed from Windy Corner to Trapyard Gap. It is likely that this closure will then remain in place through the winter period, subject to a review of the ongoing weather forecast and road conditions over the next two weeks.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Village roads will be closed on monday due to expected snow. Reopening will be decided after the storm.

And

Bogong High Plains Rd will be closed from Windy Corner to Trapyard Gap. It is likely that this closure will then remain in place through the winter period, subject to a review of the ongoing weather forecast and road conditions over the next two weeks.
I plan to XC ski the BHP road from Windy Corner out past Watchbed Creek on Wed. next week. I shall report back with photos!

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Do lift tickets at Falls normally sell out? I have an Epic pass so it's no issue for me, but I'm going with a few mates who I know will leave it to the last minute to buy their tickets. Our dates are July 16-17 which is a weekend.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Do lift tickets at Falls normally sell out? I have an Epic pass so it's no issue for me, but I'm going with a few mates who I know will leave it to the last minute to buy their tickets. Our dates are July 16-17 which is a weekend.
I can't recall it ever happening. On very busy weekends they sometimes run out of parking.

But in another thread someone was saying they had heard that Vail might be changing their approach to day tickets. I'd be surprised, but who knows.

That weekend is probably not too bad unless the snow is really good. Demand wise there is usually a lull between school holidays and August

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
During the Covid seasons in there may have been quotas, with pre-registration required. A temporary measure. Even then day tickets were not limited necessarily.

What has happened extremely infrequently - I can only remember a very few isolated occasions- is that all parking is taken up and then the road up is closed for a few hours. Generally those arriving by 10:00 avoided that problem, and it certainly didn’t impact anyone already on the hill.

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
During the Covid seasons in there may have been quotas, with pre-registration required. A temporary measure. Even then day tickets were not limited necessarily.

What has happened extremely infrequently - I can only remember a very few isolated occasions- is that all parking is taken up and then the road up is closed for a few hours. Generally those arriving by 10:00 avoided that problem, and it certainly didn’t impact anyone already on the hill.
I think we might see the road close a bit more this year. Lots and lots of epic passes.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
There could be lots of Perisher skiers who can't get on the hill so will move on to Falls and Hotham.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
My intent this year is to avoid lift skiing at Falls or Hotham on Saturdays. With some flexibility in the part-time work I've lined up for winter, me +1 should be able to head up on Saturday afternoon or evening to ski on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday then head home Tuesday afternoon. Or go up Wednesday afternoon, heading back home on Saturday or Sunday.
When there on Saturdays, we can go touring at Falls, as long as we get up in time to park at Windy Corner or at the Gully Chair for a ski out to Mt Mackay.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
My intent this year is to avoid lift skiing at Falls or Hotham on Saturdays. With some flexibility in the part-time work I've lined up for winter, me +1 should be able to head up on Saturday afternoon or evening to ski on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday then head home Tuesday afternoon. Or go up Wednesday afternoon, heading back home on Saturday or Sunday.
When there on Saturdays, we can go touring at Falls, as long as we get up in time to park at Windy Corner or at the Gully Chair for a ski out to Mt Mackay.
Have you,sprung for an Epic pass or just buying the occasional lift pass?

I’m going to be up most weekends and for some time in July - see you,up there.

Reactions: Goski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Have you,sprung for an Epic pass or just buying the occasional lift pass?

I’m going to be up most weekends and for some time in July - see you,up there.
Yes, definitely see you up there and at The Park. Car pooling from there is an option. Maybe from Melbourne too sometimes if dates line up? I have Epic passes for the family plus a Falls Ck car entry pass. We will go to Hotham some days for variety, buying a day resort entry pass. The teens will mostly be staying in Melbourne doing Yr 12 study this season but I'll get them up for a couple of trips. Hopefully enough to justify buying their Epic Passes. I have booked a spot at Island Bend in August but I'll cancel it if it looks like it won't be used.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Yes, definitely see you up there and at The Park. Car pooling from there is an option. Maybe from Melbourne too sometimes if dates line up? I have Epic passes for the family plus a Falls Ck car entry pass. We will go to Hotham some days for variety, buying a day resort entry pass. The teens will mostly be staying in Melbourne doing Yr 12 study this season but I'll get them up for a couple of trips. Hopefully enough to justify buying their Epic Passes. I have booked a spot at Island Bend in August but I'll cancel it if it looks like it won't be used.
I’ll be in touch. Sounds like you’ve got a great season ahead! See you at the Park - I still need to book - need to get on it ASAP I reckon, but just after an unpowered tent site, so hopefully I’ll be OK….

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

And

Bogong High Plains Road​

To: Trapyard Gap Track, Bundara
Road Closed

Weather
Seasonal closure of Bogong High Plains Road CLOSED between Rocky Valley Dam FALLS CREEK and Trapyard Gap from 4pm 29/05/2022. Road expected to reopen late-October/early-November subject to snow levels. Further details contact Falls Creek Resort Management 03 5758 1200 or fcrm@fallscreek.com.au
Started: 29/04/2020 3:05pm
Updated at: 30/05/2022 2:36am

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Pretty sad when a resort management dictates when a road will be opened or closed. It has not authority over this road but the shires don't seem to care either. The road is part of the park and part managed by DELWP. No reason for this road to be closed today.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I will be there tomorrow at Falls Creek and I will ski out to Langford Gap hut for Lunch.
Snow cover on the BHP road was patchy due to wind driven drifts hoarding the snow cover.The weather turned after lunch so we went back to Windy corner from Watchbed creek instead of pressing on further afield.The snow cover on the BHP will improve soon.Parks Victoria staff were out on skis doing work to get the terrain ready for resort grooming staff in skidoo and kahsborer grooming machines.

Lmo

Hard Yards
Aug 6, 2013
Has anyone bought a lift pass for this weekend and had any luck with it appearing on your account?
I bought a pass and received an order number but it has not appeared under "Lift Pass QR Codes" in my Account.
I notice that you can no longer see what Snow Pass card number is assigned to you either.
I've got this horrible feeling I'm going to get the "You shall not pass" buzzer at the lift gates:emoji_anguished:

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
56220533-FA5E-47E8-86E1-E2A86532511A.jpeg

Snowing & misty. Day car parks full. More people inside the few open eateries than on the slopes.

Great to be back - nice vibe.

Low viz from time to time.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
More interested in the cover on PV road as I was thinking of coming up with some mates for QB weekend. How is the current cover consolidating?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Just checked for a 2 night twin room was over $700, who knows, I may just sneak down for a few days :)

Add day tickets, park entry, food, new gear etc. Bargain.

Yup. A mate has booked a room for June 22-24 at a cost of $750 for 2 adults & a 6 year old. They're just going up for snowplay and such, not even skiing.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Eagle express and Scott now open.
Hoping to get up there for a couple of days next week, hopefully sans kids.
Enjoy!

What route do you take to the snow from the Ranges? Via Healesville-Yea-Bennalla?

I’m struggling with the hilly roads with roos and wombats at night, especially on the way back when tired…

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Enjoy!

What route do you take to the snow from the Ranges? Via Healesville-Yea-Bennalla?

I’m struggling with the hilly roads with roos and wombats at night, especially on the way back when tired…
Yes normally. Agree about the night drive through the hills. Especially that bit before Chum ck.
Yea to Yarra Glen, then through Seville (or Wandin) to Macclesfield a little easier when tired and the wildlife's out.

Reactions: nezumi and Chaeron

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Enjoy!

I used to live in boronia, not exactly ranges but some similarities. Most often we just came home via yea, cutting across from lillydale. Sometimes we went via black spur just to minimise time in the buller craziness but wildlife was worse. If we were particularly tired then it was hume all the way and out on the monash to FTG rd.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Interesting change of priorities by Vail this year.

After halleys, mousetrap and towers, the next priority was always drovers. Today it's the only chair not open. This could be a long term change, or maybe just this year's special circumstances. There is enough snow to open everything and the QBW crowd probably doesn't include too many beginners who really want drovers above other things and can't ski walkabout to Towers. Really hoping it's not consigned to the demand driven hell that can afflict lakeside.

Time will tell

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Interesting change of priorities by Vail this year.

After halleys, mousetrap and towers, the next priority was always drovers. Today it's the only chair not open. This could be a long term change, or maybe just this year's special circumstances. There is enough snow to open everything and the QBW crowd probably doesn't include too many beginners who really want drovers above other things and can't ski walkabout to Towers. Really hoping it's not consigned to the demand driven hell that can afflict lakeside.

Time will tell
That is surprising. Not great for families with kids (or any beginner adults) developing their ability who need easier terrain then Towers or Lakeside. Maybe now that Vail have most of their money from Epic passes - which I think are more likely to be bought by beginners - they don't feel pressing need to cater for newbies. Will be interesting to see when Vail opens International, if they can get the staff this early in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: currawong

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
From another forumite, a new ramen and whisky bar is coming too, if they can get the staff. Affordable accommodation for (the usually) low-paid service staff is a big issue that no Oz ski resort seems to be addressing publicly, as far as I can tell anyway. Maybe a Tomanu/Rusutsu style tower with some levels dedicated to staff accom is a solution (tic)? Imagine the cost to build one of those here!

Building some modest comfortable purpose-built accommodation at Bogong Village with a shuttle service is something that could be part of a solution.

For the new Kasabar Ramen Bar, this all I could find.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass