News Falls Creek news and chat

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Affordable accommodation for (the usually) low-paid service staff is a big issue that no Oz ski resort seems to be addressing publicly, as far as I can tell anyway.

Building some modest comfortable purpose-built accommodation at Bogong Village with a shuttle service is something that could be part of a solution.
It's no secret. Maybe not publicised in the city but well known in the north east. alpine shire put out a pleading letter to ratepayers last year asking for people to make properties or even rooms available to staff.

A few of the houses at Bogong village are being used for staff already.

Reactions: Chaeron

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
It's no secret. Maybe not publicised in the city but well known in the north east. alpine shire put out a pleading letter to ratepayers last year asking for people to make properties or even rooms available to staff.

A few of the houses at Bogong village are being used for staff already.
In May I spoke on the phone to Kim Jordan - who is managing the EOI process for AGL for reviving Bogong Village - about potentially leasing one of the houses if the leases opened up again. She told me preference would go to staff, which I though was reasonable even though a winter lease in a little house there would be good for my family and friends. It's the logical place to house staff for Falls. Not an easy site to build on, largely steep with winding roads and narrow blocks ("windy roads" seems too confusing, are they twisted or exposed to wind? Silly English language). Studio apartments with common lounge and kitchen areas and some 1-2 bedroom places would be a good mix. Like a ski lodge :rolleyes:. With such high real estate prices, in Falls village, a staff lodge in Falls is unfortunately worth too much to have "the help" stay in it.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
In May I spoke on the phone to Kim Jordan - who is managing the EOI process for AGL for reviving Bogong Village - about potentially leasing one of the houses if the leases opened up again. She told me preference would go to staff, which I though was reasonable even though a winter lease in a little house there would be good for my family and friends. It's the logical place to house staff for Falls. Not an easy site to build on, largely steep with winding roads and narrow blocks ("windy roads" seems too confusing, are they twisted or exposed to wind? Silly English language). Studio apartments with common lounge and kitchen areas and some 1-2 bedroom places would be a good mix. Like a ski lodge :rolleyes:. With such high real estate prices, in Falls village, a staff lodge in Falls is unfortunately worth too much to have "the help" stay in it.
A number of lodges have changed to staff only, including snowdrift, trakkers, viking. Someone on the forums very recently said that nelse is just staff ths year.

AGL don't want to be in the tourism or real estate businesses. If they could outsource the management of the place to someone then that would suit them. Otherwise they'd probably be happy to bulldoze the place as was planned when SEC was privatised.

Lots of seasonal staff are only interested if they can stay in party central, not bogong or mt beauty. Providing more accom below Falls will help, but they need stuff up top too.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
There's also Howmans Gap. Friends tell me it's declined a bit since the state government chucked out the people who ran it for decades and installed the YMCA as managers. While it's defnitely not flash, it's certainly okay for the younger, less skilled staff and it's very close to Falls Creek Party Central.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
There's also Howmans Gap. Friends tell me it's declined a bit since the state government chucked out the people who ran it for decades and installed the YMCA as managers. While it's defnitely not flash, it's certainly okay for the younger, less skilled staff and it's very close to Falls Creek Party Central.
Howman's focus is school groups and they don't want adult guests staying at the same time, ie during the week And the new building is for DWA.

Cant' see that changing in a hurry

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
As it happens I’m at Camp Creek campsite tonight - a couple of tents, many car campers. It looks like there are a few settled in for a longer stay.

However, the tent metropolis of Island Bend near Guthega makes Camp Creek campsite look like the backwater it is.

We’re so lucky to have multiple caravan parks in Mt Beauty, Towonga, Bright, Porepunkah, so that makes a difference.

When I tent I tend to camp in more remote spots or the caravan parks, rather than at Camp Creek or along Snowy Creek past Germantown.

I love camping next to Edmondsons hut below Mt Nelse - it’s a quick trip on a good day, especially with a lighter pack.

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
Interesting change of priorities by Vail this year.

After halleys, mousetrap and towers, the next priority was always drovers. Today it's the only chair not open. This could be a long term change, or maybe just this year's special circumstances. There is enough snow to open everything and the QBW crowd probably doesn't include too many beginners who really want drovers above other things and can't ski walkabout to Towers. Really hoping it's not consigned to the demand driven hell that can afflict lakeside.

Time will tell
Drovers open. Just need International and lakeside now. Great Job by Falls to have pretty much all terrain accessible by lifts on opening weekend.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
From another forumite, a new ramen and whisky bar is coming too, if they can get the staff. Affordable accommodation for (the usually) low-paid service staff is a big issue that no Oz ski resort seems to be addressing publicly, as far as I can tell anyway. Maybe a Tomanu/Rusutsu style tower with some levels dedicated to staff accom is a solution (tic)? Imagine the cost to build one of those here!

Building some modest comfortable purpose-built accommodation at Bogong Village with a shuttle service is something that could be part of a solution.

For the new Kasabar Ramen Bar, this all I could find.
From @currawong in fact. Watcher of the food and beverage developments.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Had a great ski - Sun Valley & Ruined Castle, Father Fosters off the Quad & Scott Chairs. My legs have called it a day…. I can’t keep up with the 15 yr old that straighlines everything…

Enjoying a coffee at Windy. Nice vibe with snowplaying families & XC crowd.

Snow is mixed - hard pack after Friday’s freeze. Lovely afternoon with a bit of sun and a light breeze.

Kudos to Falls staff - sorted an issue with my son’s lift pass quickly & efficiently.

Lots of teleskiers on the mountain - it’s back baby. Some in their 20’s with the latest all-mountain skis making a fashion statement out of bending the knee.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Lots of teleskiers on the mountain - it’s back baby.
yep heaps woohoo .
My ski buddy from Canada said there were heaps more tele than Whistler.
New snow was wet going a bit cruddy, weather was great , usual places were skiing pretty well 5 hrs was enough for the legs.
Surprising how many cars were in the village but not many on the lifts ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Ohhhh my body. I’m going to need a massage after this weekend.
Yes indeed.I skied out to Langford gap hut for lunch .The sun came out and I returned via Paul’s track,The paralyser and back to Windy corner.Nordic skiing ⛷ participant numbers were not high.Lifted ski resort users and snow play visitors were there in force.The Bogong High plains look like August in a good year for snow ❄️.I am planning a snow camping ski tour for the end of June.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Had a great ski - Sun Valley & Ruined Castle, Father Fosters off the Quad & Scott Chairs. My legs have called it a day…. I can’t keep up with the 15 yr old that straighlines everything…

Enjoying a coffee at Windy. Nice vibe with snowplaying families & XC crowd.

Snow is mixed - hard pack after Friday’s freeze. Lovely afternoon with a bit of sun and a light breeze.

Kudos to Falls staff - sorted an issue with my son’s lift pass quickly & efficiently.

Lots of teleskiers on the mountain - it’s back baby. Some in their 20’s with the latest all-mountain skis making a fashion statement out of bending the knee.
Cool :) . Reward for your efforts to get up there.
Telemarkers have been an increasingly rare sight for me to behold. Very good to hear there are some "young ones" giving it a go. Maybe it is rising in popularity. They might not appreciate they get to start out on gear that is significantly superior to what was available in the primitive 90s and the Noughties but it will help keep them interested.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
After having the slopes to ourself last season I was dreading the first packed weekend. In Typical Falls fashion it just never feels overcrowded so nothing to stress over. Was great to see so many people enjoying the great conditions.
Like everyone else, my old bones are feeling it today but ready to get back at it in the morning
IMG_20220612_162448vf_single.jpeg
IMG_20220612_130859.jpg
IMG_20220612_162410vf_single.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
A Falls Creek ski lifts user newbie question for the
panel:
Normally I XC ski with a day pack . Are you permitted to ride the lifts and ski with a day pack ?
With Vail as management they ask you to take off your backpack and carry it on your lap on the lift, but they won’t stop you carrying one. The rule isn’t always strictly observed.

Heading back inbounds from the Rocky Knolls with an overnight pack I’ve had that on the lift as well, but not on my back.

Keep in mind there are free lockers in the day shelter near the police station if you want to lighten your load..

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
With Vail as management they ask you to take off your backpack and carry it on your lap on the lift, but they won’t stop you carrying one. The rule isn’t always strictly observed.

Heading back inbounds from the Rocky Knolls with an overnight pack I’ve had that on the lift as well, but not on my back.

Keep in mind there are free lockers in the day shelter near the police station if you want to lighten your load..
Is a padlock needed for the lockers or do they have an integrated lock with a code the user sets?
I found that the lifties were quite vigilant about getting people to remove any kind of daypack, including slim water carriers, when I did my few days in July last year at Falls. Juggling a slim day pack and poles when getting onto and off the lift is more of a risk then wearing it in the lift with the straps nearly tucked away.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
with Vail as management they ask you to take off your
A Falls Creek ski lifts user newbie question for the
panel:
Normally I XC ski with a day pack . Are you permitted to ride the lifts and ski with a day pack ?
No I always use the lifts if I can to go XC as we have Epic passes.
Spent years slogging up the useless road from Windy corner.
Did that to ski Rocky Knobs north facing on Sunday .
They never comment about my day pack but maybe its because I look like I know what I am doing?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Is a padlock needed for the lockers or do they have an integrated lock with a code the user sets?
I found that the lifties were quite vigilant about getting people to remove any kind of daypack, including slim water carriers, when I did my few days in July last year at Falls. Juggling a slim day pack and poles when getting onto and off the lift is more of a risk then wearing it in the lift with the straps nearly tucked away.

If it was a 1 or 2 litre camelbak MULE type of bag, would it be easier to just wear it under your jacket?

Reactions: Chaeron and Goski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
If it was a 1 or 2 litre camelbak MULE type of bag, would it be easier to just wear it under your jacket?
I did just that after the second day of being asked to take it off at every lift and after getting a strap caught in the seat slats on Scott lift. It was nearly torn off. It did cause the pack to go down by itself hanging off the lift. I looked a little hunch-backed with my hidden pack but I didn't care about the aesthetics.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I did just that after the second day of being asked to take it off at every lift and after getting a strap caught in the seat slats on Scott lift. It was nearly torn off. It did cause the pack to go down by itself hanging off the lift. I looked a little hunch-backed with my hidden pack but I didn't care about the aesthetics.
I will keep the day pack chest and waist straps fastened so they cannot become caught anywhere.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
I have canned the Mt. Buffalo ski trip based on the R*** and shite snow report from Parks Vic. at Cresta. I am now skiing the lifts at Falls on Monday and will XC ski at Falls on Tuesday.
I am hoping for 3-4 cms + of fresh snow on Sunday night.
Note that Monday is the first day of the school holidays, typically one of the busiest and craziest mornings on the lifts for the ski season.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Note that Monday is the first day of the school holidays, typically one of the busiest and craziest mornings on the lifts for the ski season.
Understood. Thanks . I have already booked my lift pass and made an arrangement to get some tuition on June 27th .
I have
been told that Wombat's ramble is to be avoided on such a day and Drover's Dream would be better for the would be lower to true intermediate level skier.

Reactions: rowdyflat

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Understood. Thanks . I have already booked my lift pass and made an arrangement to get some tuition on June 27th .
I have
been told that Wombat's ramble is to be avoided on such a day and Drover's Dream would be better for the would be lower to true intermediate level skier.
Good. Just be aware that there will be masses of skiers having their first ski, and/or lesson, for the season (for 2 years for many) and they are going to be on the green and easy blue runs for most of the day. Expect big queues Halleys, Drovers and Towers.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I'm hanging out in the chill Alpine Pepper Cafe with my partner and daughter having hot drinks until vis and the quality and/or rate of precipitation improves. Or until we get too bored and gear up to head "once more into the breach dear friends". My son woke with a quite sore throat :cry: so he is down in the heated caravan doing school work. Still great to be up here again with the weather to improve for the next two days.

burchie

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2018
I am looking at kids lesson options for our visit to Falls Creek between 17-23 July. My girls learnt to ski at Falls in group lessons but we haven’t been there for a couple of years now due to lockdowns. We have still been skiing a bit at Perisher including lessons over that time.

The middle Tuesday is booked out at the moment for kids group lessons so there is no real scope to link consecutive days to get the best discount out of group lessons. As a result the cost differential between 3 hour group lessons and 1.5 hour morning or 2 hour afternoon private lessons isn’t that great (with the two girls in the same lesson which is appropriate skill wise). I am thinking of just doing a few days of private lessons for them.

My girls are 8 & 10, and are pushing up to be intermediate skiers keen to explore but with lots of scope for technical improvement. If I book a couple of consecutive days of private lessons I’d be keen to get the same instructor across the bookings but without group lessons first it may be a bit of a lottery finding an instructor that works well. We have had a bit of hit and miss at Perisher with instructors. Does anyone have recommendations/shout-outs with specific Falls Creek instructors and kids they would be willing to share? Any other tips for private lessons at Falls Creek?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass