News Falls Creek news and chat

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Plenty of people these days are well overweight. Which of these individuals would not fit within the quad chair safety bar confines , without a back pack?.Is there is weight limit per chair ? Where are the ambulance chasing lawyers obessesing about these questions?
It’s not necessarily an overweight thing - not in this case.

For most, semi fit people, shoulders are the widest part of the body. Take for 4 (or 3 for triple) broa-shouldered guys on a chair, then 1 or more to sling their pack off the side - then you have the side of the safety bar coming down.

That’s a risky manoeuvre in itself.

But the risk-layers at ski lift companies hav ignored this problem. Much easier to have hard, fast rules (but stupid, possibly very dangerous) for lifties to follow.

Please someone in the know point this out to someone who can do something! Please!

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
8F6C9DF9-B7ED-487D-9A5A-F5255BBC331A.jpeg
Anyone know what the deal is?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fergiewol

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2017
8F6C9DF9-B7ED-487D-9A5A-F5255BBC331A.jpeg
Anyone know what the deal is?
I was on the hill today and the top tower has collapsed causing the lift to lose tension. A little girl from our lodge was almost at the top and said someone was swinging on the poma from side to side and then flung the poma and it hit something which caused the damage. It sounded more like user error than equipment malfunction.
6FF7FCAB-4EEC-4C3C-A8E0-3B2A1409FE32.jpeg

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
I was on the hill today and the top tower has collapsed causing the lift to lose tension. A little girl from our lodge was almost at the top and said someone was swinging on the poma from side to side and then flung the poma and it hit something which caused the damage. It sounded more like user error than equipment malfunction.
6FF7FCAB-4EEC-4C3C-A8E0-3B2A1409FE32.jpeg

Ahhh disaster. My kids love the T bars and we're down next week. Any update on this? And do people know why International closed? Is it a problem with snow cover? Was looking forward to trying that area of Falls. Cheers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
B3A32F05-7F99-4DB8-96F9-2FD618F377BB.jpeg

Another lovely day at Falls - sunny, light breeze.

Icy hard snow or spring-like soft scrapings - almost like corn snow.

Ruined Castle lift busy. But people spread out all over.

Up with my younger son & two of his mates.

Demo Day: Rossignol, Black Crows, Volkl, Salomon in Village Bowl.
Ruined Castle lift busy. But people spread out all over.

Up with my younger son & two of his mates.

Demo Day: Rossignol, Black Crows, Volkl, Salomon in Village Bowl.
Lunch at the Frying Pan?
Looking rather mogully on the right side of the lift. Nice turn tracks higher up on the right of the lift.

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Lunch at the Frying Pan?
Looking rather mogully on the right side of the lift. Nice turn tracks higher up on the right of the lift.

I see that that cluster of SG saplings are getting taller - they were sizeable pre-Covid.

They seem to be in a pretty inconvenient place for skiing to skiers’ left of the lift and returning to base.

I’m not advocating a mass SG slaughter (my namesake after all!) but perhaps someone in the know, with connections to lift ops could perhaps flag this issue for the next summer grooming?

There’s probably a lot more saplings use below the 60-70 cm of cover? Potentially a tripping hazard? I note they’re not marked with poles - a bit strange in this risk-averse climate (slim packs off backs on lifts?).

Back over at Hotham, Spargos has a similar issue - and it lacks the nice, wide areas to bypass them.

Does anyone know if there’s something in the lift co. Rule book about the Requirement to minimise ‘vegetation hazards’ during summer maintenance? Curious?

Fwiw: In ten years, even heavy snow seasons will struggle to cover these tough buggers, never mind 50cm shoulder-season depths…

D33CF21D-F231-45F2-B881-B2F280D2E0A7.png

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Lunch at the Frying Pan?
Sprung! Their Bogong burger is quite tasty.

People were avoiding skier’s right and favouring the runs further down the ridge into the bowl.

Elmo’s Slide on the Ruined Castle side is similarly getting moguled out.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Sprung! Their Bogong burger is quite tasty.

People were avoiding skier’s right and favouring the runs further down the ridge into the bowl.

Elmo’s Slide on the Ruined Castle side is similarly getting moguled out.
i suspect that there is not really enough snow on some of those spots to groom out the moguls.
moguls slow down holiday heroes too

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Okay, question time wonderful Falls creek people. Last time we were at Falls we had privilege of on snow accommodation. This time we're slumming it in a beaut house in Tawonga. We're staying Sunday to Friday, so I assume it will be busier on Sunday than the rest, right? So:

1. Is there usually much build up driving up to falls? If so what time does it start?
2. What are my chance of getting a park at the Slalom day car park arriving at a bit after 8?
3. If that's not possible what time would I need to arrive?
4. What's the best option if parking there is not likely? If I can't get a park I'll probably dump the family at slalom plaza and go off on my own. My youngest hates walking in ski boots and carrying skis. I like the idea of that carpark because my wife isn't confident skiing and with icy conditions I know she'll struggle (she can do blue runs and has good style, just cautious). My kids would be fine on any of the runs.
5. We like to bring a picnic. Is there a place where people leave stuff informally at Falls creek? At Selwyn, you pick your table in the morning and put your stuff there and it's yours for the day (despite the many signs saying it's not allowed). At Perisher, people dump their stuff in that central area next to V8.
6. Best place for hot chips?
7. Any other quality tips?

Thank you, thank you.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
You should be fine getting a Slalom Plaza carpark arriving a bit after 8, especially mid-week.
Traffic in the morning at that time hardly becomes a conga line, maybe a few cars in a row. Slower drivers tend to be getting better at pulling over.
If we can't park in the parks next to St Falls we head straight to Windy Corner. Short walk across carpark and up a bit of snow and you're on bottom part of Wombat's. Windy Corner has good day tripper vibe.
Easy to get lunch out of car when you're ready.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for all the advice. Any good hot chips anywhere? And any basic family places for us to eat at on Wednesday while we wait for the night skiing?

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Okay, question time wonderful Falls creek people. Last time we were at Falls we had privilege of on snow accommodation. This time we're slumming it in a beaut house in Tawonga. We're staying Sunday to Friday, so I assume it will be busier on Sunday than the rest, right? So:

1. Is there usually much build up driving up to falls? If so what time does it start?
2. What are my chance of getting a park at the Slalom day car park arriving at a bit after 8?
3. If that's not possible what time would I need to arrive?
4. What's the best option if parking there is not likely? If I can't get a park I'll probably dump the family at slalom plaza and go off on my own. My youngest hates walking in ski boots and carrying skis. I like the idea of that carpark because my wife isn't confident skiing and with icy conditions I know she'll struggle (she can do blue runs and has good style, just cautious). My kids would be fine on any of the runs.
5. We like to bring a picnic. Is there a place where people leave stuff informally at Falls creek? At Selwyn, you pick your table in the morning and put your stuff there and it's yours for the day (despite the many signs saying it's not allowed). At Perisher, people dump their stuff in that central area next to V8.
6. Best place for hot chips?
7. Any other quality tips?

Thank you, thank you.
1. Not really
2. No probs at 8am
4. I tend to park at gully even if space at slalom. Straight up to eagle and over to Scotts/ruined
5. When packing our own lunch we park at windy. Best day shelter and can ski to the door. We leave our food in the car as parking is no more than 100m away at most
6. Frying pan or windy
7. Stay one step ahead of the herd. If your up on the first lift hit up towers and drovers for an hour then work your way around to ruined as it starts to fill up. We tend to grab a rest and a feed around 1030-1100 then ski when everyone else is eating at 1300. This can be a good time to ski the village runs.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Sadly the hot water tap has been removed from the shower in the men's toilets in the building where Alpine Pepper cafe is. Maybe it's a lot to toughen up we cheapskate blokes.
You used to be able to get a shower at windy (might have been a cost), and I think at St Falls west

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
it was a busy day up at Falls today - light snow, light winds, good visibility. Blue and Green runs pretty busy.

Snow still quite hard despite the overnight dusting - snow patrol busy mopping up this afternoon. Catering venues quite busy at peak times.

Nonetheless, a lovely day.

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
it was a busy day up at Falls today - light snow, light winds, good visibility. Blue and Green runs pretty busy.

Snow still quite hard despite the overnight dusting - snow patrol busy mopping up this afternoon. Catering venues quite busy at peak times.

Nonetheless, a lovely day.
Are you up there for the weekend?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Did I hear somewhere that YMCA are no longer running the Windy Corner cafe or am I just making that up? Either way, has anyone lunched there yet this season? It has always been my go to place for cheap, hearty, filling fare that keeps me fuelled up. Not gourmet by any means but definitely the best value on mountain. I will be lost if it has changed significantly in its offering...

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Did I hear somewhere that YMCA are no longer running the Windy Corner cafe or am I just making that up? Either way, has anyone lunched there yet this season? It has always been my go to place for cheap, hearty, filling fare that keeps me fuelled up. Not gourmet by any means but definitely the best value on mountain. I will be lost if it has changed significantly in its offering...
it's stil mentioned on their website, not that that's conclusive.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
it's stil mentioned on their website, not that that's conclusive.
I tried following the link on the Falls creek website through to the XC skiing site and got a broken link, quite possibly a falls issue rather than YMCA but either way their web presence is atrocious. Google search just too me back to the Falls site...

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Any hot tips on hiring and day tripping from Wodonga ? Before I go to the old tried and true.
what sort of skis are you after?

IMHO hiring on mountain on a day trip is an invitation to waste a lot of time. you might be lucky but you might lose heaps of time.

that leaves a number of good alternatives depending on what you are after, eg
  • performance/demo skis - kiewa valley snowsports
  • xc and budget downhill - rocky valley bikes & snowsports
  • wodonga, pick up the night before, also has demos)- the shop that must not be named
contact them ahead of time to minimise the time spent on the day (and reserve stuff if you want something specific)

if it's a weekend in July or August, don't be late

unless you have beginners with you, or you need to get to ski school quickly, park at gully and get gully and eagle chairs. as you go past, check out if summit looks like it's worth stopping for and coming back a bit later

if it's a busy day, take a break before lunchtime then ski through lunch time

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
@currawong that was what I figured. We are staying with family at Bonegilla (the time v cost benefit is hard to beat.... )will do two or three days this week with first day tomorrow so plan A was Voldemort's for kids and +1 for downhill (pick up this arvo)
And get chains and tele skis from Rocky Valley on way. (Booking ahead) We are shouting SIL a lesson tomorrow as well

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using