A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Email from FC:

DAY PARKING FULL
ONLY OVERNIGHT GUESTS PERMITTED TO ENTER
Good Morning Falls Creek Community,

Please be aware the resort is now at capacity and no longer allowing day trippers to enter the resort. Only overnight guests will be permitted to enter. We ask that you please share this information.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I had a chat to one of the traffic guys at 10.40 when I arrived for my lazy "Gentleman's start" time, about when they stopped cars coming up from Mt Beauty. Lots of sightseers/snowplayers today. It was almost as busy last Saturday, he said. Maybe some refugees from busy Perisher are here too. My tardiness got me a primo park in a half hour spot metres from Gully Chair. Early next week should be much quieter.

Picked the wrong lens (grey) today. It was sunnyish in the carpark, not so up top. Going back to the car for the yellow goggles. Skiing with @Chaeron today so I'm in good company. Mediterranean toastie at Dicky Knees was very tasty. I recommend it.

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Are the Top Shots photographer people still operating at Falls? I didn’t notice anyone taking photos during last week when we were up and it was still SA school holidays. I haven’t been inside Cloud 9 so far this year to see if they are still there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Use the search button LOL
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: soza

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Are the Top Shots photographer people still operating at Falls? I didn’t notice anyone taking photos during last week when we were up and it was still SA school holidays. I haven’t been inside Cloud 9 so far this year to see if they are still there

Sadly, Top Shots are no longer operating at Falls.

So ends the family tradition over many years of posing on a chairlift / run and later skiing down the mountain with a selection of photos in a plastic bag tucked into your jacket but secured with a bit of string around your neck…

Reactions: The Bluff

The Bluff

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
melbourne
Sadly, Top Shots are no longer operating at Falls.

So ends the family tradition over many years of posing on a chairlift / run and later skiing down the mountain with a selection of photos in a plastic bag tucked into your jacket but secured with a bit of string around your neck…
I reckon that is sad!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Mail from FC

Missing Person

Sunday 31st July 2022
Have you seen a person fitting this description?
  • 60 year old male
  • Wearing black jacket with lime green panels down sides
  • Last seen near Eagle Chair near the Snowmobile Tour container approx 1:30pm
If you have any details please call 03 5758 1200 or call 000.

Kind Regards,
Falls Creek Resort Management

Reactions: djam

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Mail from FC

Missing Person

Sunday 31st July 2022
Have you seen a person fitting this description?
  • 60 year old male
  • Wearing black jacket with lime green panels down sides
  • Last seen near Eagle Chair near the Snowmobile Tour container approx 1:30pm
If you have any details please call 03 5758 1200 or call 000.

Kind Regards,
Falls Creek Resort Management

Reactions: djam

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Having enough experience to know when not to go out or when to come in helps.
Getting it usually involves making mistakes and learning from them and then learning some more to avoid similar situations. The best advice can fall on deaf ears until risks are realised and scary situations are lived. In this case the two skiers have had an experience that will make them think twice about skiing off into a whiteout again.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Having enough experience to know when not to go out or when to come in helps.
Getting it usually involves making mistakes and learning from them and then learning some more to avoid similar situations. The best advice can fall on deaf ears until risks are realised and scary situations are lived. In this case the two skiers have had an experience that will make them think twice about skiing off into a whiteout again.
Even bushwalking over The Fainters from Bogong Jack Saddle to Tawonga Huts in near zero visibility in Nov. 2021 was interesting. I know the terrain but insisted my companion stick close by me.
Coming over Heathy spur cross country on skis one time I was depending on a compass bearing to get me to the AAWT pole line near The Park.
Other times I have turned a group around on the Eskdale Spur in deep snow and fog and said " forget it! "

Reactions: GobrinIce

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
And that’s what a GPS and PLB is for…. can’t rely on one’s phone….
it's not clear from the article whether they were xc or side country or just normal inbounds down hill skiing. if they were last seen near the snowmobiles container then maybe xc. but could perhaps have been downhill and heading for the Ys. skiing out of bounds on a whiteout needs precautions (or don't do it) but if intending to ski to inbounds and not alone I wouldn't expect people to take gps, plb etc. that said, I always have a whistle in my parker pocket in case I an ever incapacitated and need to attract attention

Auska

Addicted
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
it was a slow start today, Eagle and Summit were not taking passengers at 0920, Lakeside didnt start turning until about 1100

I heard that the main motor on Halleys burnt out this arvo, someone is driving to Perisher tonight to pick up parts/replacement

Reactions: Chaeron

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
it was a slow start today, Eagle and Summit were not taking passengers at 0920, Lakeside didnt start turning until about 1100

I heard that the main motor on Halleys burnt out this arvo, someone is driving to Perisher tonight to pick up parts/replacement

Haven't they heard of eBay? It'd be in the shed quicker. o_O

• Haha

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
It seems that in their bid to kill cross country at Falls creek, not only are management removing all reference to the XC trails etc from the App but they are getting into some whole sale censorship.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
If anyone would like sign the petition in relation to the road clearing proposal, you can find it here. Be warned it will ask you to "donate" but the money goes to Get Up in general not the "Svae the Falls Creek XC trails" Specifically.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
It seems that in their bid to kill cross country at Falls creek, not only are management removing all reference to the XC trails etc from the App but they are getting into some whole sale censorship.

Has FCRMB or Vail got anything to do with that FB group? Doesn't look like that. It's still shitty that the post has been deleted, but I don't think you can blame it on management.

Is also possible that the link to the registration site has fallen foul of their non-commercial policy (which would be pretty dumb when entry is free but mods in a hurry might not think too hard about it)

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
If anyone would like sign the petition in relation to the road clearing proposal, you can find it here. Be warned it will ask you to "donate" but the money goes to Get Up in general not the "Svae the Falls Creek XC trails" Specifically.

have the cross country skiers came up any alternative options ?

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
On face value the problems for xc, especially racers, are very significant. FCRMB say they are working with some key xc people to mitigate the problems for xc. I'm sceptical but interested to see what they come up with.

The resort certainly needs more car parking - for downhill, snowplay, bc and xc.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
The RMB has stated that there is no money for alternate access trail construction for the displaced XC skiers, and that they envisage XC skiers will still get ready in the shelter at windy corner, then walk up the cleared road (along with the vehicular traffic) to reach the trail head just before the dam wall. The nordic bowl area will still exist but all trails that currently cross the BHP road will be cut severly restricting the current XC trail system. The Kangaroo Hoppet which is a World Loppet race attracting about 1000 national and international ski races each year will be decimated not to mention the easy and safely accessed introduction to skiing for generations of skiers.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
The RMB has stated that there is no money for alternate access trail construction for the displaced XC skiers, and that they envisage XC skiers will still get ready in the shelter at windy corner, then walk up the cleared road (along with the vehicular traffic) to reach the trail head just before the dam wall. The nordic bowl area will still exist but all trails that currently cross the BHP road will be cut severly restricting the current XC trail system. The Kangaroo Hoppet which is a World Loppet race attracting about 1000 national and international ski races each year will be decimated not to mention the easy and safely accessed introduction to skiing for generations of skiers.

Do xc skiers by a trail pass or season pass to cover the maintenance costs of the cross country trails, or are all the costs worn by resort entry and the lift co?

Surely there must be a xc ski club at falls creek that should be leading discussions towards a better solution? Could even be delaying the changes until a trail can be funded and built by the xc community. At the end of the day all snow users need to be catered for but you have to help yourself can’t just sit back and throw stones.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Oh Oh Oh, some response...

Given that after this term of the RMB, it won't exist as an independent body (as we move to the state wide admin) this could get very interesting. At least they have acknowledged that there is serious concern amongst the various stakeholders and have undertaken to hold "discussions". Lets see who is actually able to join the table.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Do xc skiers by a trail pass or season pass to cover the maintenance costs of the cross country trails, or are all the costs worn by resort entry and the lift co?

Surely there must be a xc ski club at falls creek that should be leading discussions towards a better solution? Could even be delaying the changes until a trail can be funded and built by the xc community. At the end of the day all snow users need to be catered for but you have to help yourself can’t just sit back and throw stones.
There are many "clubs" who are actively trying to discuss the proposal with the RMB and have had very little response so far. This appears to be changing (see my post above) with at least some acknowledgement from the RMB that consultation is required. There has been a long and extensive consultation process in relation to the previous proposal but many of the considerations that were achieved during that process have been thrown out the window with this new proposal.

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using