Falls Creek plans for oversnow and other transport

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
asb posted a letter fron David Herman (FCRM CEO) a few weeks ago

It said
FCRM is pleased to confirm transport arrangements for the 2011 Snow Season.

Transport services comprising the traditional Oversnow Service and the Inter Village Shuttle Service will be operated by Fall Creek Resort Management.

A fleet of new rubber tracked vehicles will operate the Falls Creek Inter-Village Transport Service (IVT) in 2011.

As previously advised, there will be no substantive changes to the structure of transport services this year.

Similarly, the community engagement process related to the village transport solution will proceed to completion.

With the support of the new vehicle fleet, FCRM will actively support the retention and maintenance of snow on Village roads throughout the season.

Base prices for traditional Oversnow Services will be substantially reduced from the 2010 pricelist including:

• An adult return ticket reduced from $34 (2010) to $29.50 (2011); and

• A child return ticket reduced from $23 (2010) to $19.50 (2011).

The inter-village shuttle and the BHP Road shuttle will remain free services in 2011.

FCRM also intends operating a freight service in 2011.

new vehicles have been ordered that will be used to operate the oversnow service. I am assuming that the same vehicles will be used for the village shuttle. the intention ( a fe months ago) was to use buses for the carpak and bhp road shuttle - i assume that this is still planned but don't actually know.

i hear mixed things, but i think that the old oversnow vehicles may be used for freight

word around the place is that the new vehicles will be from Prinoth in Italy. they want something that will help preserve the snow on the village roads and i think they chose one that is based on a groomer. this is hearsay but from a good source

Last edited by a moderator:

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
I read that post and noted the use of two services with only the shuttle being upgraded.

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
re-read it, maybe the oversnow and the i-v shuttle are now combined and will be known as the i-v service.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
there's a letter to stakeholders just come out that explains what's happening. not time to precis it now,
so this is the official word

INDUSTRY AND KEY STAKEHOLDER UPDATE – May 20, 2011

As you are most likely aware, Falls Creek Resort Management has assumed responsibility for the management and operation of village transport this Snow Season.

Village Transport Services will include the Intra-Village Shuttle Service, BHP Road Shuttle, Car Parking Shuttles and the Accommodation Transfer Service (formerly known as Oversnow).

Resort Management would like to specifically update you as regards the new Accommodation Transfer Service to for winter 2011.

Firstly, thanks for your patience. Management has been working around the clock to develop operations, protocols and service standards associated with the transport service that meets the expectations of our guests and you the Stakeholder.

We are committed to providing contemporary transport service that is focussed on efficiency and the provision of great customer service.

In line with feedback received during the Transport Solution Community Engagement process, there will be no substantive changes to the structure of transport services this year.

We are however introducing a number of new and exciting features designed to reinvigorate village transport and add a new level of excitement to a holiday in Falls Creek. These include:
• A new fleet of heated Prinoth Husky rubber tracked all terrain vehicles. The Husky is an ideal vehicle for Falls Creek conditions with turning and braking capacity designed to support snow retention in high traffic areas.
• Expanded ticket purchasing options
• Additional Guest Services support
• Co-ordinated vehicle dispatch system

Overnight guests will continue to transfer from BHP Road to their accommodation from the Village Transfer Terminal (formerly the Oversnow Terminal).

We’ve given the Terminal a facelift to improve guest amenity including a new coat of paint, new carpet, new luggage trolleys, access to refreshments, baby change facilities, heating and new LED TVs.

Tickets and purchasing options: On Mountain accommodation Bulk Purchase options

Guests can now purchase Accommodation Transfer tickets at a variety of locations to assist in streamlining the arrivals experience.

Your guests can also purchase Accommodation Transfer Tickets with Resort Entry at Howman’s Gap or at selected off and on-mountain agencies.

As per previous years, accommodation stakeholders can pre- purchase Accommodation Transfer tickets for the convenience of their guests. This will be managed in the same way Resort Entry on mountain pre- purchases have occurred.

If the accommodation provider settles the account within seven days they will receive a 10% settlement discount (equivalent to a commission).

Alternatively, accommodation stakeholders can pre-purchase Accommodation Transfer tickets for distribution to guests prior to their arrival in the resort or upon their departure. These “physical†tickets would then be presented at the Accommodation Transfer Terminal or to the Shuttle Driver when using the service.

Where can my guests purchase tickets?

Conveniently, anywhere you can buy Resort day/night parking tickets - both on and off-mountain!
Off mountain:
On mountain:
• Rays – Myrtleford
• Bogong Ski Hire –Mt Beauty
• Kiewa Ski Hire – Mt Beauty
• Rocky Valley Ski Hire – Mt Beauty
• Falls Creek Coach Service – Mt Beauty
• Howmans Gap Resort Entry
• Falls Creek Accommodation Transfer Terminal
• Falls Creek Visitor Information Centre
• Falls Creek Resort Management

How much does it cost?

We’ve reduced transport fees in 2011! This year charges include: Adult One Way - $19 / Return $29.50 Child One Way - $12 / Return $19.50 Kids Under 5 - Free Season Pass - $150/adult & $95/child
Where applicable, we will also offer guests the opportunity to save money by “Splitting the Rideâ€. This is where one person travels with the luggage to their accommodation while the other members of the party walk luggage free. Guest Services attendants will be available at the terminal to provide guests with advice on the most suitable accommodation transfer options.

What’s the luggage allowance?

A standard luggage allowance includes 2 pieces of luggage, 1 pair of skis or snow board and boots and 1 piece of hand luggage per person. Excess luggage will cost $2.50 per item.
Excess luggage will assessed with reference to our Eco-friendly Large Hold Transit Carry Bags. Our Transit Carry Bags will hold a number of bags of groceries, bedding, or other items guests need on a holiday in the snow. These bags should prove to be a convenient way to transport goods around the village. Transit Carry Bags are available from the Transit Terminal and can be purchased for $2.00 or used by guests (with a refundable deposit).
Falls Creek Resort Management will contribute $1.00 from every Transit Carry Bag sold to Falls Creek Sustainability and Environmental Management Initiatives.

So, how does it work?

Once your guests arrive in Falls Creek Village, they will pull up at the Accommodation Transfer Terminal. During busy periods, our Guest Services attendants help them unload their luggage and provide advice on accommodation transfer.
We have a “Pre Paid Lane†within the terminal if they have already correctly purchased Transfer Tickets.
Guests will also be encouraged to listen to FM88 on approach to the resort which will explain the transfer process and other resort relevant information such as weather and snow conditions, equipment hire, lift tickets, events and services around the resort.

When is it open?

The Accommodation Transfer Terminal will operate from 8am-10pm Sunday to Thursday and 8am-12midnight Friday and Saturday.
The ATS will operate only when the village roads are declared closed to regular vehicles. At all other times the village will be open to regular vehicles and guests arriving by car will be able to travel directly to their accommodation by way of a 30 minute village entry pass issued by FCRM. Guests arriving by bus during such times will be transported to their accommodation using VW Transporters.
It is expected village roads will remain open for authorised traffic until late June. Whilst the Accommodation Transfer Terminal will be open from Opening Weekend, the actual Service will not commence until after June 28, 2011.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Glorious News!
clap.gif

It looks like they have tried to fix everything in one go. No doubt there will be a few teething problems with the new system and vehicles, but it looks like the bane of Falls Creek will be largely fixed in the next few months.
smile.gif

Now they can send those ancient Bren Carriers off to the Buller snow vehicle museum and the war memorial museum in Canberra where they belong!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm not sure you mean by not a guaranteed fix or too variable.

I have some concerns but there do seem to be significant pluses, eg
new vehicles
lower prices
better conditions - splitting the ride, bags for consolidating luggage
focus appears to be on service rather than profit
ability to purchase transfer tickets at the same time as resort entry (one less queue)
bus travellers catered for when the roads are clear

what sort of guaranteed fix are you looking for?

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
Pre-purchase so no queue, upgraded terminal (going to miss the 1960's bus terminal look - not) and a bit cheaper with new vehicles. That'll do for now, thanks FRCRM.

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003
A really big question of course is how much was AlPal paid to go away and take his rattlers with him? Also, who paid him and with whose money?

Assuredly, you'll never find out.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

pjs4

One of Us
Apr 5, 2001
It'll be interesting though to see how they run with the supposed 6 vehicles (1 for freight) when the previous oversnow was running on 10 on a bad day. I think Falls Creek customers will be using those brand new stairs put in place.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
currawong said:
I'm not sure you mean by not a guaranteed fix or too variable.

I have some concerns but there do seem to be significant pluses, eg
new vehicles
lower prices
better conditions - splitting the ride, bags for consolidating luggage
focus appears to be on service rather than profit
ability to purchase transfer tickets at the same time as resort entry (one less queue)
bus travellers catered for when the roads are clear

what sort of guaranteed fix are you looking for?

I suppose its hard to judge before its all up and running. But how do these improvements make for a quicker and more efficient transfer with less waiting?

"Encouraging" people to walk is the variable.

FCLODGE1

Hard Yards
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne / Falls Creek
hair-raiser said:
A really big question of course is how much was AlPal paid to go away and take his rattlers with him? Also, who paid him and with whose money?

Assuredly, you'll never find out.

You can find out if you want to.. but it will cost lots of time and a bit of cash dragging it through VCAT..

Its a Govt contract and they are mandated to be transparent, but as with everything no one will want to talk so it would have to forced out.

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
The new ones are great - a bit labour intensive as the driver has to get out to put out the ladder/steps so you can get into the cabin.

Some of the steps look like they are already starting to bend/fatigue - may be a little bit light for the task?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
last sunday afternoon was very slow. it was probably their first really busy day. i'm hoping they learn some lessons and make a few procedural changes. the luggage carrying capacity of the new shuttles is a limiting factor, but better organisation would help.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
The feedback that I have got from guests around the hill was pretty positive, particularly in how they were treated and people trying their best to deliver a good service.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
thats great, hope they have it down pat for when I get there
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass