1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek - poor marketing

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by weech, Aug 5, 2013.

1. weech

weech First Runs

As usual, Fall Creek is out to rip people off. They want you to purchase your tickets early, pocket your money upfront, then come up with a cheaper alternative with mums ski free promo. Poor form. Will be skiing in NZ next year.

2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Please explain what this 'mums free' promo is?

3. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

http://www.fallscreek.com.au/LiftPassSpecials

#3 Born2ski, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  4. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

So you're complaining about getting a discount and missing out on another discount? Honestly, you've got to be effing joking aren't you?!

5. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like a good idea actually. Try to get some of the mums who come along for the holiday but don't really ski into the sport.

I'm assuming from weech's post that s/he had pre-purchased a normal lift/lesson package for the mum in the family.

6. mick chopps

Yes it is a great idea. But anyone who openly complains about missing out in a discount, when they've already received a different discount is kidding themselves!

#6 mick chopps, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  7. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Yes not unusual in travel space in general to offer an advance purchase discount but also a "last minute promo".

If you have already got the advance purchase discount then you can wait and if you are lucky pick up a last minute promo, otherwise cop full price.

Looks like a good idea by Falls to me, good promotion.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It is pretty smart marketing. Encourages parents to put kids in snowclub and encourages mum to get out there and ski in a supportive group. Good for the lift co, good for mum and good for skiing families.

Has the OP contacted the lift co to see if they can do a deal? No idea if they would, but better chance of success than ranting here

9. currawong

Also at the end of last season the then ceo of the lift co made much off the need to be"nimble" in putting together deals that were appropriate at the time. My guess is that this mum's deal was not planned early in the season but was a bright idea in the context of a pretty poor season.

As well as trying to get some extra bucks in this season,this deal, like the 1234ever deal and hero pass, is really refreshing because it is encouraging repeat skiers. There has been far too much emphasis over the last decade on once or twice novelty holidays. I'm really pleased to see that the importance off regular skiers is being recognised and that they are trying to create more of them

10. Hully

Hully One of Us

I wonder if the OP goes back to the petrol station to ask for a refund on the fuel that they purchased yesterday for $1.50 when today it is $1.40. Pretty childish approach in my opinion, something being available cheaper after you purchase it happens all the time with all industries/products. Did Falls offer you your original purchase with a guarantee that it was going to be the cheapest product available for the season?

11. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

Why is it mums ski free.
    Shouldn't it be parent ski free.
    They are assuming that mum is the one looking after the kids.
    What if dad is at the snow with a couple of kids and wants to have a ski.
    Is says ladies only can a father get the deal also.

12. Hully

Hully One of Us

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth....I am a dad and think that it is a great deal, a fantastic piece of Sales and Marketing and this type of thing can only be good for our industry. Thunbs up to FCSL for this and 1234Ever.

13. Ian D

My guess is it is targeting the sector of the market they believe they are missing.

From the amount of mums I saw sitting around in the lodge I reckon they are right about that.

skiflat likes this.
  14. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Clever. Like the year I scored a three day pass at something like 30% off, in honour of Cadel Evans winning TDF and for some charity. Announced mid season, no advance warning. All I had to do to score the disc was front up and wear something yellow. As in Yellow Jersey.

Nice unexpected bonus.

#14 VSG, Aug 5, 2013
  15. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, was thinking the same thing Ian. My qualitative observation over the years would be that there are plenty of Mum's who foot load with kids up to Ski School in the morning and don't ski for the day...very few Dad's (except me this season with a blown out knee [​IMG] ).

#15 Hully, Aug 5, 2013
  16. currawong

agree, it's not about parents, it's about encouraging a particular group of non-skiers/occassional skiers to get out there

17. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

The reason there are lots of people sitting around the lodge mums is because you can't share a day pass anymore. In the past people with young kids would take turns when going skiing 1 ticket for the day. With lift tickets at $110 a day * 2 that's $220 day it gets a bit expensive. I just checked the falls website they have also dropped 1/2 tickets gone they where a rip off anyway. My wife is not a morning person so when we shared a ticket I would get the first lifts about 8.00am and get the freshes head back to the lodge about 10.am she would go out for ski with her parents until about 1.30pm. Then I would head off about 2.00pm until stumps. Can't do that anymore. With the new system why don't they have a pay per run system.

18. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

At least this latest initiative negates a horrible situation I have seen more than once.. where spouses share a pass and child minding duties.. half a day each.

A bloke was 'collared' by a staff member at bottom of Halleys/whatever its called now... and had his ticket taken off him.. because it was on a detachable key chain type lash. He outlined the story above.. staff member said bad luck. Read the back of your ticket.

Father was going to kill the staff member.. I loaded the lift and didn't get the end... but I saw the pliers come out to cut the ticket off.

19. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

I think it is great. I really hope it applies to Dad's too if the kid is in snowschool. What about Dad's that are single parents?
    I can't believe you can't 'share ' tickets anymore... that is a darn shame. It is possibly the only way to get a few runs in when you have two little ones who can't manage a full day.
    I hope FC has also put some baby change facilities in the Village Bowl... a few years back I had to change a messy nappy on the floor of the ladies toilet... not pleasant and quite a feat with a big 2 year old! I did provide some feedback on this at the time. Encouraging families with little ones is very important as they will reap the long term $$ if they can get them loyal at the start.

20. Ian D

#20 Ian D, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  21. currawong

As long as I've been skiing (in Vic at least), sharing a ticket has been against the rules. It may have been common practice, but still grounds for losing your ticket, or worse.

22. weech

weech First Runs

I guess you are an idiot who will fill up your tank on Sun when it's at full price knowing Thurs is the lowest.

23. weech

weech First Runs

I guess you will fill your tank up on Sun when petrol prices are at its highest knowing Thurs is the cheapest. It's people like you that make Australia an expensive place to stay. If I'm childish, you are foolish.

24. soza

soza One of Us

This deal comes at a perfect time for my missus and young un. Her mate is coming down with her young daughter for their first ever week on the snow and now they can join the coffee club have a girly catch up, kids can have the full day in ski school and I`m left free to roam the hill.

A couple of full days in ski school should see a great improvement in my sons board skills and confidence......would never have forked out $150 for ski school without this deal.
    In fact its a great bit of marketing as the girls were planning on just grabbing a few beginners passes (A $76 C $51) and are now spending an extra 70 bucks a day each on lifts/lessons.
    Plus the kids are going to be hooked for life.

25. Hully

Hully One of Us

Nice work on the "idiot" call...you don't know how far off the mark you are with my petrol purchasing habits. I live in a town where both of our fuel stations are generally exactly the same price and our fuel pricing does not go through any discount cycles. I fill up when my car needs fuel.

Please excuse my "childish" comment but although I think that you are entitled to be a little unhappy that there was a better deal announced after you purchased yours, your 'first time' contribution to the forum labelling it Poor Marketing and stating that they are out to 'rip people off' is a bit rich. The deal is of no benefit to me, I have already paid for my son's Snow Club and my wife and I both already have our Hero Passes, but I think that it is a great marketing initiative and is the sort of thing that will save and grow our local ski industry.

Enjoy NZ next year, I hope that you get a great deal and that there are no better deals offered after you purchase yours.

#25 Hully, Aug 5, 2013
  26. PowderMedia

PowderMedia Hard Yards

It's great seeing a range of options. The Hero Pass works well for some and not others, the 3 day weekend specials suit others, and this one delivers a unique opportunity for a small but often taken for granted group in the ski fields who's day arranging children's skiing is often anything but relaxing or social for the mums. Keep the deals coming, it's like booking a flight, a gamble on price but ultimately the choice to purchase sits in our own pockets.

27. Hully

Hully One of Us

#27 Hully, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  28. mick chopps

I don't think anyone was complaining about gender bias Hully. I think the OP was complaining about getting a discount and then missing out on another discount................. [​IMG]

#28 mick chopps, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  29. currawong

pansnow (post ID#20402250) complained about it not being availalble to dads

30. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

Its a good start maybe they have been reading the forums.
    The more deals they can have for families the better.
    And they can't just assume that mum is the one looking after the kids.
    In a lot of cases people share the load which means someone has to be looking after the troops.
    Childcare can get very expensive and some don't like using it.
    Bring back day passes that don't RFID.

31. Hully

Hully One of Us

Not going to happen, and why would they? Except for issues with some sales mistakes and e-store hiccups I get the feeling that the move over to all 'E-tickets' with RFID scanning has been really well received. What would be the resultant benefit to customer or lift company of moving back 'paper tickets'?

About as likely as them moving their ski hire fleet to straight edge skinny skis and dropping snowboards from the range! [​IMG]

#31 Hully, Aug 31, 2013
  32. Hully

Hully One of Us

You don't seriously believe that this offer is because they might have read this thread do you? I am pretty confident that their awareness of Father's Day did not come from ski.com.au and that this Sales and Marketing idea did not come out of this forum.

Regarding marketing to families...IMHO a myopic focus on marketing to families has been a fault of Falls Creek over the years. That is why the resort is full to overflowing during the 2-3 weeks of the Vic/NSW school holidays and pretty much empty outside of weekends during the peak snow period of August. I see opportunity for this to change in recent years with a move from marketing nearly exclusively the family ski holiday to encouraging skiing as a recreation and skiing for life (Hero Pass, 1234ever, etc).

#32 Hully, Aug 31, 2013
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

In the early days folk bought a strip of tickets and handed one in for each ride, I'm told.

With chip readers on every gate the same pay per ride principle would be possible. Hardware all round would be exxy though, but they do it at at least one resort in Japan.

Re marketing, the two big factors that have me back at Falls for the 3rd winter running (as a semi-retired single) are affordable accommodation in Mt Beauty for the season and the Hero Pass.

34. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Spot on Hully I think the RFID tickets are fantastic, and agree have been very well received.

Also agree with the "Falls marketing to families" philosophy is flawed, as is "Hotham's marketing to the high end skier and 5 star fly in group", we can see how well this has worked for Hotham this year, as everyone thinks if you don't have 1.5m of snow then its not worth going.

I think all mountains should market themselves and target the complete cross-section of snow going public - eg cover all bases. Mind you this is where Falls wins hands down when it comes to families, multiple kids terrain parks, heaps of alternate activities on and off snow etc etc. But it is still a fun resort to ski at for all levels (cant believe I just said that). Hotham on the other hand has very different, and more challenging terrain, although there is a complete lack of alternate activities. This is compounded in bad weather because of its elevated and exposed village, so its not as family friendly and difficult to move around, which is probably why many of us love it so much. And Buller, well its Buller, if it has good snow cover then its also a fun place to ski, and generally Buller shop/food outlet staff win hands down for friendly service. Same applies to NSW, although cant understand why anyone would want to go there. [​IMG]

#34 FlatLander, Sep 2, 2013