Falls Creek Reports/Pics 2010

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Overnight about 8cm I think was reported. This is what it looked like out the window this morning:

PHOTO_10231561_39473_2912816_main.jpg

Wind was high and a lot more had blown in in spots. 8:30-9:30 was white out with flat light and skiing by brail. Fortunately light improved at 9:30 and while skiing wasn't epic or iconic it was pretty damn good. Boot deep powder and Ruined Castle took about an hour to ski out. I got 3rd tracks down south face
biggrin.gif

PHOTO_10231559_39473_2912816_main.jpg

When that was skiied out those that knew where to find them had fresh lines till lunch time easily
biggrin.gif
- then I need to stop for a while to let the legs recover a bit.

Midday sun softened the cover which then hardened with late afternoon cloud cover and we have had intermittent snow showers for the last hour.

Summit is now definitely skiable and did several runs on both Knolls and Slot as well as a token one down Village. Not quite complete cover but very skiable and nice soft bumps (until they harden when the sun goes!).

Close to an iconic day, heck it was in Falls, it WAS an iconic day
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Ian D said:
When that was skiied out those that knew where to find them had fresh lines till lunch time easily
biggrin.gif

whistle.gif

Cover still looks pretty nice up there. Did you track down LakeSide? How is cover around Rapunzels to Quartz Ridge?

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Didn't bother fighting the crowds over there. Scotts, Ruined and the Summit did me for the day. Long line was 2 groups ahead of me, most were ski on.

Lakeside opened today (apparently) and the queues at Main St looked fair/moderate so saw no reason to go over there and leave my untracked powder to someone else!

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
Lakeside opened this afternoon, though there didn't appear to be too many riders there even when Towers was on wind-hold.

This morning was fantastic on South Face and Big Dipper off Ruined
woohoo.gif
, early runs down Corkscrew Gully were also very good
biggrin.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
sounds like I made the wrong call by not going up
frown.gif
(the prospect of white-out and high wind was not that appealing)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Report for Friday 13th
for various reasons I didn't get up here for a few days. Bit disappointing when I did. Instead of fresh we had freeze. The rain doesn't seem to have done much harm, but the new snow has not really added to the cover. That said, I had a pretty good time anyway. I have just broken even on the season ticket, so this was my first "free" day.

Off-piste was too much for me, except for a bit of skier packed stuff. North facing stuff was too soft for me. In Vertigo it was very variable: firm crust, sastrugi, breakable crust, crud - all within the space of a single turn sometimes.

Groomers over the back were very good. Front was pretty soft by midday. Didn't ski summit/village/inter partly because of large brown patches that could be seen from vantage points. Summit looks to be the best of them.

Run of the day: Father Fosters after race training finished, tied with under Towers chair

Beginners:
biggrin.gif

Drovers:
biggrin.gif

Towers/Lakeside: (Lakeside now open)
biggrin.gif

Northside:
smile.gif

Home Trails:
smile.gif
-
biggrin.gif

Ruined Castle/Scotts Area:
biggrin.gif

Summit Area:
confused.gif
but looks
eek.gif

International:
confused.gif
but looks
eek.gif

The Maze:
frown.gif

Off-piste:
eek.gif
-
smile.gif

Key (entirely subjective)
woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
fair / marginal / difficult
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Saturday 14th

whiteout on the cams this morning and forecast of very strong winds. Also expected to be very crowded.

All that added up to an XC day.

I'm a very poor XC skier but we had some fun on the trails close to the nordic bowl. very firm conditions made life interesting, but we had a good hour or 2 away from crowds and wind. Nothing like trying to snowplough on hardpack with no edges.

adsman

Hard Yards
Jun 5, 2004
Adelaide
Looks great! But it sucks being stuck in the office many km's away
cry.gif

On the bright side will be heading up from Adelaide to Falls in 2 weeks.
woohoo.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Report for Tuesday 17th
hideous weather over the weekend and yesterday looked pretty bad too. friends told me yesterday was actualy pretty good if you didn't mind the visibility. anyway, blue sky and new snow beckoned today.

I spent most of my time playing in easy off-piste. The few groomers I skied were great, except for some some very firm patches on Scotties. Over the back stayed dry, at least till lunchtime, but the front was softening by then. Off-piste was variable, but there were some nice lines of windblown and you could normally spot the icy bits to avoid them or traverse across them. Skier packed off-piste was great too. Rapunzels/Quartz Ridge has some lines with good cover now.

Run of the day: vertigo valley

Beginners:
biggrin.gif

Drovers:
confused.gif

Towers/Lakeside: (Lakeside now open)
biggrin.gif
-
woohoo.gif

Northside:
confused.gif

Home Trails:
smile.gif
-
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
-
woohoo.gif

Summit Area:
confused.gif
but looking better than it was
International:
confused.gif
but still looks
eek.gif

The Maze:
frown.gif

Off-piste:
smile.gif
-
woohoo.gif

woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski

towie81

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2010
I'm interested to know if anyone skied International since the new snow has fallen.
I skied Ruined Castle on Saturday by braille and then decided to give Inter a run. The milo snow on the Village actually gave some fall line definition and Inter, although soft wasn't too grippy and was empty. You could actually fang it from top too bottom. A check at the end of the day didn't reveal too much damage to the bases.It was a pain in the butt having to take two lifts to get back to the Summit. I did notice they were running the cable on the iconic Inter poma very slowly on Saturday. Could this mean that it may be close to opening?

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
They were running the cable very "slowly" when I was up there 2 weeks ago
laugh.gif

Apparently it was just the "wind".

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the poma line looked groomed today. i was thinking that if they get more snow than rain out of this next system, they might open it. just guessing

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
I remember it was groomed a few weeks back too - but I think your right, thats the plan, get it all prepared to open at short notice.

Ponders the questions of when it will iconically open.

planetfonz

Hard Yards
May 12, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
international was great today in the arvo. crowds stayed away. nice snow. good vis.
in fact, if u didn't mind having your face sandblasted at the top and the first 100m or so with low visibility, all runs down off summit were worth the effort.
epiconic

h2oskier

One of Us
Apr 24, 2008
vic
not to mention if you dont mind the slowest chair ride ever...
sleep.gif

towie81

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2010
Well, well, well the iconic Inter poma is up and running according to news release.
Billy the Kid your ability to conquer snow maidens and dance naked on the dam wall to impress the snow gods in 2010 must know be listed as legendary!

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Big Call, but if the system this week comes up, I wouldn't be suprised if the whole resort would be in good skiiable condition, including the Maze.

Can only hope.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Report for Saturday 21st
Wow!

The report said 13cm of fresh. As we drove up, it was snowing down to the over-taking lane and chains were being fitted at Turnback. Really light and dry.

Around Scott there were areas of exposed ice, and stashes of windblown. Light was very flat and wind on the chair was very strong sp we didn't stay around there for long.

International (lift) opened sometime today but queue was looking pretty awful.
Lakeside broke down a few times, and they were loading peope a long way apart - very slow queue.
Off-piste today was fantastic, if you could avoid ice and not be too freaked by the visibility. Can't tell you much about the groomers except they looked pretty good, except ice patches on Scotts.

Run of the day: rapunzels/quartz ridge, with a special mention for last hoot/fast hoot & variations

Beginners:
biggrin.gif

Drovers:
woohoo.gif

Towers/Lakeside:
woohoo.gif

Northside:
woohoo.gif

Home Trails:
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
-
woohoo.gif

Summit Area:
confused.gif

International:
confused.gif

The Maze:
confused.gif

Off-piste:
woohoo.gif

woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
towie81 said:
Well, well, well the iconic Inter poma is up and running according to news release.
Billy the Kid your ability to conquer snow maidens and dance naked on the dam wall to impress the snow gods in 2010 must know be listed as legendary!

Believe me....the naked dance on the dam wall hurt but it was worth it. As for the snow maidens....f*ck me swinging if I can find one! But I'll keep looking...back up now after a brief sojourn in the wilds of western Oz.....where imprecations to the Snow Gods tend to attract fairly odd looks but what the heck.

Anyway, after yesterday's vote, although Julia and Tony are still miffed, the Sex Party is loving it....a well hung parliament!! Look forward to more snow!

haken

First Runs
Jul 3, 2007
Melbourne
all the xcountry ppl will be at falls due to hoppet.
Hotham will be better...thats where everyone else should go...
biggrin.gif

sdsdc

Hard Yards
May 20, 2010
Head up on Saturday, hopefully will be back again next before the end of August. It is awesome up there, I love it. Also, hello to the girls working at Falls Creek snowsports (down the bottom of Falls Express). My god.
smile.gif

phunkyjunky

First Runs
Aug 31, 2008
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi peoples, I don't know if this is the right thread. But its the most active one haha. Just thought I'd ask if anyone wants to meet up and ride. I've had a bit of a exodus on my planned trip. Due to unforeseen circumstances i'll be riding up on falls this weekend pretty much alone (one of my other friends is new to skiing, the rest of my group can't make it up) so if anyone is up to hit some runs/trails, would be cool to meet up! I'm also driving up alone, so if anyone wants bum a ride up, more than welcome. I'll be leaving on thurs night to get there late thurs/fri morning.

inky

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2010
Melbourne
Don't worry mate, none of us have friends after fresh snow.
We're leaving Tullamarine at about midday today, back Sunday night if you wanna lift. Reports reckon the road up might be a bit sketch late so go easy if you're solo. Let us know if you're keen.

Triple B

One of Us
May 18, 2001
West Hoxton, Sydney
Arrived on Sunday to about 12" on the balcony...
004.jpg

Yesterday morning when we pulled the blinds back...
007.jpg

This morning when we pulled the blinds back...
009.jpg

phunkyjunky

First Runs
Aug 31, 2008
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for the heads up and the offer Creg! but i can only get up there after work, do you guys ski or board? I'm just seeing anyone wants to meet up and ride
smile.gif

adsman

Hard Yards
Jun 5, 2004
Adelaide
What a great day to be on the slopes, that's if you're there of course. It is very hard to stay focused at work seeing those conditions.

This time next week our convoy from Adelaide to Falls begins. Fingers crossed for some freshies.
woohoo.gif

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
adsman said:
What a great day to be on the slopes, that's if you're there of course. It is very hard to stay focused at work seeing those conditions.

This time next week our convoy from Adelaide to Falls begins. Fingers crossed for some freshies.
woohoo.gif

I'm in Adelaide- can I hitch a ride -lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass