Falls Creek Reports/Pics 2011

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
woohoo.gif

I wonder if they will have International run going via Gully / Summit.

270843_232292120135841_111614212203633_757112_6028249_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
From the Obs thread:

effinbigmeals said:
Unplug from your computers and get out and enjoy
Pathetic effort by falls creek to not have the summit and international open. The fact they let it all get tracked out with closed signs up evidence they knew they should have had it open. Anyway poaching lines off summit early season at falls seems to be an annual event
f76e73ee.jpg

Summit
17d70347.jpg

Ropers
573c47cc.jpg

Car park evidence of snow accumulation
770ecb76.jpg

e2213798.jpg

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'll try to do a proper report tomorrow, but in short..

it was just fantastic
woohoo.gif

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Weather looked bad and the forecast was worse, then the cloud lifted and we made a quick change of plans for the day. It was still cold and windy when we got there, but the sun was out and the snow was dry. The wind eased off during the day too. No powder, but plenty of lovely windblown stashes. Up top was hard packed with lots of sastrugi, but once you dropped down it was magnificent. ... and no crowds.

Run of the day: vertigo valley

Beginners:
biggrin.gif

Drovers:
confused.gif
but should have been very good - excellent
Towers/Lakeside:
woohoo.gif
only skied off-piste but it all looked great. plenty of snow on lakeside, just needs a poma line
Northside:
biggrin.gif
only skied Last Hoot
Home Trails:
confused.gif
but should have been very good
Ruined Castle/Scotts Area:
woohoo.gif

Summit Area:
frown.gif
lots of people hiking it. I guess the only reason it was closed was that they have to build the load/unload platforms
International:
frown.gif
I think the only thing stopping from opening will be building the poma line
The Maze:
frown.gif
guessing this will be open on the weekend
Off-piste:
woohoo.gif

Key (entirely subjective)
woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
fair / marginal / difficult
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski [/quote]

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
they have started on the poma track and were putting poma sticks on it today. i haven't heard anything official, but i would expect it to open rsn.

summit opened today.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Another day where the forecast was uninviting but reality was magnificent. It was solid cloud in the valley this morning, but the cams showed that it was clear up top. The snow wasn't quite as magic as yesterday - skier traffic and more wind meant less soft freshies - but it was still cold, dry and delightful. Not as many stashes of windblown but still quite enough to keep the smile on my face. The cloud rolled in about 1pm and it was snowing very lightly when I left the mountain a bit after 2pm. As we were heading back to the carpark we realised that summit was open, so we had one run down the groom on village. The rest of summit was ungroomed (bet that will change overnight). It looked like fun, but probably hard work.

Run of the day: vertigo valley

Beginners:
confused.gif
but should have been very good
Drovers:
confused.gif
Towers/Lakeside:
confused.gif
Northside:
biggrin.gif

Home Trails:
biggrin.gif

woohoo.gif
Although going up scotts chair it sounded like some people were finding some pretty solid stuff
Summit Area:
biggrin.gif

International:
confused.gif
I think the only thing stopping the lift from opening will be building the poma line
The Maze:
frown.gif
guessing this will be open on the weekend
Off-piste:
woohoo.gif

woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski [/quote] [/quote]

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Thanks for the report, sounds very nice up there
smile.gif

currawong said:
Although going up scotts chair it sounded like some people were finding some pretty solid stuff

My worst on snow moment the I can remember was when I was a little kid trying to get down Scotts to head the castle. It was a white out, the run felt like it was a sheet of glazed ice, I was stuck 1/3 of the way down, terrified.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Was up yesterday with my son; good to see you there Curra.

Son skied from 8.30am to 4.15 and had a hoot.

High up it got pretty chilly in the wind when the cloud rolled in; on piste Sun V side was mostly firm base with enough loose stuff on top; excellent conditions for getting back into the tele groove.

Had to hire some Crispi boots as I'd left my Scarpas behind; oh wow, softer bellows flex and wider across the foot made for a v. diff. experience. Could get up on the ball of the foot easily; no shin bruising. Crispi CXAs IIRC; no prob driving K2 World Pistes in those conditions.

snowMac

Hard Yards
Jun 10, 2011
NSW
Just been skiing summit an its been epic fresh tracks although its pretty tracked now international looks like its got enough snow to run but its still not open

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
inter takes a lot of work to build the poma track. people have been skiing it and i did not see any runs closed signs. just use gully and summit chairs to ski it

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Official Falls Creek announcement.

International Open mid morning TOMORROW!

woohoo.gif
Awesome news & it's only the 9th of July!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
snowMac said:
Yer falls was good today especially lakeside and the summit snow quality was good. Got plenty of fresh tracks

effinbigmeals said:
you must have been the only other tracks i crossed in lakeside this arvo!

snowMac said:
Wet snow at FC although it should become more dry from now on

Looks like 5cm accumulation in the gauge.

Any reports from International?

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Mon & Tue

Monday morning was clear blue sky but with a very cold wind. Over the back the off-piste was pretty wind packed, especially up high, but there were softer bits if you looked in the right places. Groomers were sensational - might be the best I have ever seen international. The cloud came in early afternoon and is still here. The snow over the back on Tuesday is just as good but the visibility and very flat light kept us close to trees and other features. Also cold and windy with intermittent snow. North facing runs were a bit firm on Tuesday - not icy, just not as perfect as south facing.

International is running and Lakeside is expected soon

Run of the day: Mon - international & vertigo valley; Tue - corkscrew

Beginners:
woohoo.gif

Drovers:
woohoo.gif

Towers/Lakeside:
woohoo.gif

Northside:
biggrin.gif

Home Trails:
biggrin.gif

woohoo.gif

Summit Area:
woohoo.gif

International:
woohoo.gif

The Maze:
biggrin.gif
only skied wishing well
Off-piste:
eek.gif
-
woohoo.gif

woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski [/quote] [/quote]

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Thanks for the report. Back up there on Sunday , though the weather looks crap, i'm still excited.
biggrin.gif

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
in sunshine on monday there was no significant queue for ruined castle. otoh internationl queue was huge. today, with bleak weather, towers had a long queue (until morning lessons finished) but other places i went were fine

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
great reports curra (again), just wish I was helping write them
tantrum.gif

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
I started with a few leg warmers with the kids on Towers.

Once I'd dropped the kids at workshop, I headed over to Summit but found visibility was still very poor. Moved further around to International which was well protected & had a bit of definition from the trees either side of the piste.

Queues weren't too bad at the poma.

Headed back up Eagles at lunch - the liftie who was working his shift up there must have drawn the short straw as it was the coldest & windiest spot on the mountain. It got no better later in the day.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
I started with a few leg warmers with the kids on Towers.

Once I'd dropped the kids at workshop, I headed over to Summit but found visibility was still very poor. Moved further around to International which was well protected & had a bit of definition from the trees either side of the piste.

Queues weren't too bad at the poma.

Headed back up Eagles at lunch - the liftie who was working his shift up there must have drawn the short straw as it was the coldest & windiest spot on the mountain. It got no better later in the day.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

somebody else

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
Snow continued today, although wetter than the past few days. XC-skied in the morning which was horrible and wet, went downhilling in the afternoon.

Started on Summit/International, found some deep-ish wet fresh snow, before heading over to Scott/Ruined at about 3:50. There the visibility was great, it stopped snowing, had some sun, it got colder and the snow dried out a bit. Pick of the day was last run on RC chair, directly below the cornice all the way down, with a couple of inches of fresh, dry, untracked snow, all the way down.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
on the snow at 945 i started with laps of drovers dream to find my ski legs then laps of H83 and mainstreet. Moved over to summit and struggled in the flat light and poor vis on skyline / village/S&c. moved back over and really enjoyed corkscrew gully a couple of times but didn't enjoy the frequent stoppages on scotts. (other than my two trips up summit i don't think i had a lift all day that didn't stop for a minute or more...)
nearly came a cropper dropping off quartz ridge into repunzels where i fell into a big divot .. Then laps and laps to towers then a wind down on drovers before the mandatory last hoot.
Skied onto most lifts... Frequently had the chair to myself and was getting 5-6 runs an hour. (on teles turning most of the way)
the snow was very forgiving...where it was a little bumpy I struggled in the flat light but otherwise a great day. by 230 my body was telling me I had had enough but i finished off feeling like i was skiing as well as i ever have. so ends my one day of skiing for the year.

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
I had a long day on the skis today. Got kid #2 motivated to be out of the unit by 9.00am (other was having a bit of a sickie). Headed straight up Express and down Village trail to summit chair. Had two quick runs in freshies in Short & Curly & Village then over to the Junior Workshop.

My body was definitely not up to it today - poor visibility didn't help. So I followed #1 back to Summit Chair and then disappeared down Zipper a couple of times.

Headed for a little cover from the weather then back out (inter had stopped so up via the Gully & Eagles.

Not being in the mood for too much hard work, another run down Rapunzels/H83/MS then Last Hoot & into the lodge - early lunch & dry out.

Back out for a little to catch # 1&2 going to lunch and still not enjoying the day (obviously not in the mood today).

Another couple of runs & back inside.

Popped out to pick up the kids (another run down Rapunzels).

Then back out for nightskiing.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Wed was petty bleak and when we ventured out we found more r**n than snow was falling on us. Didn't stay out long. Fortunately it didn't really effect the snow quality.

Thur & Fri
Bluebird days, but very cold in the mornings. Snow stayed dry all day over the back and summit area. Groomers are fabulous Off-piste is pretty packed, by wind or skiers, but very nice in most places. I've heard that the maze is good once it softened, but haven't got there, partly because of the queue on international. The only sour note has been the lift break downs. Summit and Scotts had long stoppages on Thur and then on Fri we were waved away from Scotts again when it stopped. Very frustrating.

Run of the day: pretty much everywhere, but maybe grand coeur for a groomer and darkside for off-piste

Beginners:
woohoo.gif

Drovers:
woohoo.gif

Towers/Lakeside:
woohoo.gif

Northside:
biggrin.gif

Home Trails:
biggrin.gif

woohoo.gif

Summit Area:
woohoo.gif

International:
woohoo.gif

The Maze:
confused.gif

Off-piste:
biggrin.gif

woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I should have said that Lakeside did open today. I just wish that people who have never ridden a poma or platter before would not go down there and that towies would make better balanced judgements about how many tries to let them have before letting someone else up the lift.

planetfonz

Hard Yards
May 12, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
if its quiet i have a 3 strikes-yerrrr-out!! policy, otherwise they get 1 extra go if fall of before the first tower. in saying that tho in the short time inter has been running, i've been yelled at for not letting a kid get back on, and for letting someone get on. all part of the fun! on the whole tho the crowd has been great

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
Saw a couple of poma incidents today (Lakeside & Inter). Those who just don't let go when they fall - my 6yo was guilty of that but so were so many others who were much older. (I will excuse him as it was only his second ride of Lakeside - his sister did it without incident & also Inter a couple of times).

I may be mistaken but have they tweaked the two pomas this year? They seem not to send you into orbit when they first pick you up.

somebody else

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
This may have already been raised (I haven't read through the whole forum), but the run status on the Falls Creek Snow report should be changed to indicate that all the runs are open. It currently assumes that it's closed if there is no grooming on it.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
I have raised this every year with Falls Creek but they refuse to fix it. I can't "assume" runs are open, we can only go by the data provided.

They are the ONLY resort in Australia that doesn't provide us with run open/closed information.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Snowed all morning here, some big flakes in the mix. I see Falls is claiming 10cm...sounds about right. Finished snowing midday.

Ripping around Lakeside, Rapunzels, Shadow Ridge, Big Dipper, Last Hoot area was great. Semi-Snot snow so a bit sticky but a good morning.

There is heaps of snow over the south side...haven't checked out Summit / Inter today, will do that tomorrow.

Heaps of snow in the village too. More to come hopefully!

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
You can take it that all runs are open, but the maze has had no grooming except for wishing well (and the last tango exit track). Hopefully this week's snow will fill in the moguls and maybe even let them get a groomer in there. IMHO the maze needs 1.5 metres to be good. I don't like them to groom in there too much too often, but it is nice if the runs get done once a week or so.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Windhold day today. Not even Falls Express opened up as far as I know. Good day to take a bit of a walk out the back. Keen ones hiking up the Summit / Inter.

Hopefully it dies down tomorrow. (wind)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass