Falls Creek Reports/Pics 2011

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
We day trip from the Donga, but Saturday is the better day from a family point of view. But yes Sunday looks the better day weatherwise apart from the wind...

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Village roads are about half half curra. Some are OK, others dont have much. I dont think they will be cleared though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Spoke to soon. They are clearing Falls Creek Road, dont know about the others though. Word of mouth was they wanted to get it cleared before it iced up, as the new oversnow vehicles apparently don't handle the ice too well?

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Sorry to see the conditions as they are....fingers crossed for more snow, maybe this W/E if temps get low enough.

But, as usual the "official" FC Snow Reports are not explicit about the real conditions. They are saying ski in/ski out (it's not really), 76 cm on teh hill (not really, in parts sure but it varies from 0cm to 90+), no mention of rocks. At least they had softening in there...but Curra's use of the word porridge is more honest.

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
Infact said:
Spoke to soon. They are clearing Falls Creek Road, dont know about the others though. Word of mouth was they wanted to get it cleared before it iced up, as the new oversnow vehicles apparently don't handle the ice too well?

They do not handle deep slush too well either... no cleats on the tracks

Last edited by a moderator:

pansnow

First Runs
Jul 5, 2008
Adelaide
Any update on the village roads this morning
We are going up on Sunday for the week have they cleared the whole village or just some of the roads.
Are they letting private cars up to the lodges.
Now that you can pre pay for oversnow transport in mount buety it would be nice to know befrore hand.
I am guessing if it snows again the will shut them off again.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Billy Kid, south side snow depth seems pretty accurate. There is a fair amount of snow out there. Summit snow depth is probably also spot on. Ski In and Ski Out, well that shouldn't be there.

Not too sure about the village roads Pansnow. But with snow on the forecast, they will probably be covered when you arrive Sunday anyway.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
summit is pretty sad. At the moment you can drive up for 15minute bag drop off/pick up.

Re the snow depth readings - they are what they are. A point measurement at a predefined location. It is factual but it doesn't indicate what the snowdepth will be on any other part of the mountain other than where the measurement is taken.

Most resorts hate snow depth measurements as it is generally a lose/lose situation unless it is 1.5m + as some areas will be very thin and people will complain. Fact is the snowdepth is what it is at the point that it is measured (and that hasn't changed in 20 years so there is genuine history to it).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
Quick team meeting and we are up Sunday now. Just can't see it being anything but rain in the morning up there on Saturday. It's still 17 degrees in Wodonga now!

somebody else

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
I agree with Ian D re snow depths. Falls Creek has three snow gauges, all reasonably located. You can go and check them if you want; they always tell the truth. We should be grateful for our snow gauges, compared to Perisher/Thredbo/Charlotte's which uses a measurement which represents neither of the resorts, and is updated once a week only. This allows them to pull whatever figure for fresh snow out that they like, as there is no way of verifying because if they actually have snow gauges they're not reported on. And has anyone noticed how NSW resorts always report fresh snow as 5,10,15,20 etc, never 18?

Back on topic, Falls Creek's reports seem to me better than most, with abundant snow cams and accountable reporting.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Have a graph

163a92f1.jpg

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Skidown, thanks again for the excellent graph. Ian et al, sure the ski depths at the guages are accurate...for that location. Thank God for ski cams and forum pic posts as they show the rest of it up close, which -combined- gives the whole picture. Thing is, snow reports don't provide the combined elements, just the snow gauge measurements - which is where the problems arise in the public perception of "truth in snow cover reporting" An isolated snow depth at a gauge is one thing - but again teh ski hills do themselevs a disservice in not doing teh whole thing....silly buggers

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Yes. Roads cleared. I was waiting to check this band hitting now wasn't rain. Since it is snow I am about to go out. Snow falling village is only about 2cm so far probably another 5cm higher up.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Was going to stay for the weekend but headed back last night. Hopefully lots of snow this week. Skiing down Summit with your top priority of dodging hazards is just not fun, and if your not having fun, why bother. Another 30cm will be back to game on for 2011.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i'm back home after deciding not to ski today. the snow that did fall earlier looked pretty wet. hope there's snow this afternoon.

hard to believe how much snow has been lost in a week. but there's still plenty over the back.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
sorry I'm in the valley, not on the mountain.

i left the village a bit before 11am. there was a bit of wet snow falling before that, but mainly rain. it seemed to be getting colder rather than warmer so I'm hopeful. a good thing to look at is the FC Express cam . you can see snow on the wall in the foreground - that must have fallen today.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
I had five days up at Falls last week. I drove up Sunday morning to very poor visibility and had a bit of trouble finding the oversnow transport. I unloaded my gear and drove up to the carpark attendant who pulled out a flyer for his Feathertop restaurant. I said that I was booked into his lodge and was just about to call him as he had said he might be able to skidoo me up there. So I parked the car, got the bus back and John, true to his word, gave me a very hairy ride up to Feathertop lodge thru some very soft and very rough snow. I had a backpack, a sports bag, a boot bag and skis so I was very lucky to get up there without loss of gear or limbs.

The lodge rooms are very basic but the renovated lounge and dining area are very nicely done and have a great ambience. The brekkies and staff were great, I would have no trouble going back again. The weather cleared up on Monday and I had a great week's skiing. The snow was very soft due to warm temps but we had very minimal rain so it was still great skiing throughout the week. I have been to Falls many times but skiing XC have mainly bypassed the village and gone straight to Windy Corner before venturing to the BHP. I really loved staying in the village and have nothing negative to say about any of the staff or services, everyone was very helpful and pleasant.

A quick precis of the week:

Monday, skied out to Wallaces hut, snow very slow esp.with Fischer Rebounds and Garmont boots. Took me five hours including some stops to fix up blistering feet!

Tuesday, hired XC skating skis and took a group lesson. Hard work but really loved it, the girls at Windy corner were brilliant, Steph in ski hire and Leeah taking the lesson were very helpful and funny.

Wednesday was a ski tour to Pretty Valley, very nice indeed, only spoiled by five guys in Fluoro orange jackets riding skidoos racing past the hut!

Thursday I joined a couple of the guys from Feathertop lodge on the downhill slopes on Lakeside. I think we skied Main st, Rapunzels, Drovers etc, Ruined Castle was closed due to wind. I managed but these guys at 68 and 70 were much better skiers than I was. I was skiing my ancient 180cm Fischer tour extremes with newer Fritschi freerides so I did have a disadvantage as they were skiing 160cm carving skis.

Friday, I skinned out of the lodge and skied back down Wombats ramble and walked back to my car just below Windy corner. I had a great week and loved the touring, the skating and the downhill. I was also lucky meeting some great people at Feathertop lodge, three were from WA, a few in their late sixties and early seventies. One of the guys skis Hokkaido every year and one of his party is 88 this year! It's great to know that there is skiing after retirement!

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
snowed pretty much all afternoon, there was some good accumulation (bad quality pic coming up):
Photo0173.jpg

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
I'm concerned for the International. I hope it hasn't run its course for the season... I would love to see it open up again in the next two weeks. It looked quite horrid when I left on Friday.

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Great report there Weerab, many thanks....also for the detail on Windy Cnr....good to hear they were so helpful on the skating ski front. And 88....skiing still better than sex! And thanks for the pic Camelot, excellent !

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
Didn't get over that side Infact apart from using Eagle to access the other side. and with visibility the way it was didn't get a good look. But skiing over the resort the snow we had during the day made quite a visible impact so fingers crossed. There is quite a bit of ground to make up however!!

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
right....nice to have the input from them though, look forward to the reports. Funny with this forum and the other reports (usually linked through this forum), the official resort report is usually the last place I look before going up.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Which is why we introduced "comments" on the reports pages. To try and source new input from users that aren't on the forums but are on this site.

So far it seems to be showing possibilities.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
After a horrible weekend, today looked much more promising. A freeze, little wind, good visibility and a little bit of fresh. We actually got some blue sky and sunshine thrown in, and a few snow flurries. Very few people for a nice August day though. When you could find a patch of unskied fresh to put a turn in, it was pretty nice. Vertigo Valley was skied out but stayed fairly dry. Rapunzels got more cruddy and grippy. Groomers were getting a bit glassy and grippy by the time we packed it in, or even a bit slushy in a few spots..

Still heaps of snow over the back. Inter is shot. Summit looked skiable for the keen and careful, but too thin to groom.

Run of the day: groomed: father fosters; off-piste: vertigo valley

Beginners:
confused.gif

Drovers:
biggrin.gif

Towers/Lakeside:
smile.gif
-
biggrin.gif

Northside:
confused.gif

Home Trails:
eek.gif
-
smile.gif

Ruined Castle/Scotts Area:
smile.gif
-
biggrin.gif

Summit Area:
eek.gif
-
smile.gif
only skied Village/Short & Curly
International:
frown.gif

The Maze:
frown.gif

Off-piste:
eek.gif
-
smile.gif

Key (entirely subjective)
woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
fair / marginal / difficult
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
Don't know; didn't ski

pansnow

First Runs
Jul 5, 2008
Adelaide
Skied falls today.
Quick report
Scotts & Ruined castle the pick best snow was cork screw.
Sumit 1 run was enough they need to groom it big time but I think it is marginal on snow depth I guess that is why they havent touched it.
Towers heavy going hard swork.
Went down wombats for a look very heavy going.
There was a solid snow shower about 4.00pm but its has now stopped.
I quick thank you for the ambos for looking after our young feller late last night you guys our legends.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Thats for report.

Looking good up there today.

Anyone to shed some light?

We'll be over the 1m mark again this time tomorrow I hope. Back in business.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
This was taken from a moving chairlift.... three images taken from three different viewpoints, as a result. Bit hard to blend well.

Autostitch, in Windows XP.

pano2.jpg

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I was up there today, but went xc rather than downhill. also talked to friends who skied today. it was still pretty firm around the middle of the day, and some shaded things didn't seem to soften at all. but one ice-sensitive friend said it was pretty good.

AFAICT there hasn't been much loss over the back. Plenty of snow on all the groomers and still good lines in ungroomed areas 0- but you have to watch for obstacles. Wombats still has good cover, but forget anything else north facing. Village/apres vous looked ok from a distance, except for the narrow bit between akyline and village which looked brown. i could see people skiing bumps on summit, but i think you'd have to be watching for rocks etc. so definitely below average for august, bit not the worst we've seen, and certainly not a disaster.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass