Falls Creek Reports/Pics 2011

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Good stuff WS !!
thumbsup.gif

Hopefully the snow holds for you while you're there.

smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
It's an amazing bluebird day today- great for the kids first day in ski school ! snow guns were going all night on wombats .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
It is fantastic up here , we have been having an amazing week and I can't believe how well they have maintained the runs with all the snowmaking. Well done Falls Creek- geez I love it here, I have never been here with such little snow around the village but it doesn't really make a huge difference considering we are just so close to Falls Express.Went over to Ruined this morning and it is still good , Main street and Highway 83 were fun ( saw my daughter going down which was very cool). Was on the lift Monday and started talking to a guy on the lift (as you do) ,turned out to be a forum member which spun me out a little. So "Hey Hully-nice to meet you". Well ,had my lunch- time to go have another ski!!!!!! This is so much fun!!!!!

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i was up there on monday for a very nice day too. saw hully at a distance. i've been too lazy to do a report, but as wannaski says, there's still plenty on the snowmaking runs. Highway 83 is still good too. we even managed a few reasonably good off-piste runs

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Good to meet you too WS and glad that you are enjoying your week...you seemed to be having a great, if somewhat hectic, time when I bumped into you. Conditions are pretty damn good for what is nearly mid September off the back of a really disappointing August in relation to temps and snowfall. Got out for a couple of hours freeski with the wife on Tuesday am and the snow and conditions provided some mighty fine spring skiing, though the breeze was a little cool. Shadow Ridge, South Face and Scotts were buttery and great fun.

And yeah, some nice fun off piste lines on Quartz Ridge and Darkside!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Good to see that it's holding up out the back there. Wombats and Drovers for the kids is excellent.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Stratus said:
Cannot believe that Quartz, Shadow and Darkside still have enough cover. Excellent!

They're not thick, but if you pick your line it is good fun. Sunday we had everything with the weather in one day...except rain, and I actually got a couple of fresh lines down Quartz Ridge into Rapunzels after a short but heavy and windy snowstorm.

It's been a funny season!!

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Stratus said:
Cannot believe that Quartz, Shadow and Darkside still have enough cover. Excellent!

Yeah, we had a great ski on these runs and more this afternoon , still plenty of patches to have lot's of fun. Started raining a little tonight 5.30/ 6.Hopefully there is not too much damage, doesn't really feel very cold at the moment.

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
BillyKidd said:
Good to see that it's holding up out the back there. Wombats and Drovers for the kids is excellent.

My 3 yr old was so happy today that he finally got his Triangles down ( he's been challenging me about going to ski school) Hopefully he will be happy to go tomorrow . The staff have been amazing with him. After he finished ski school today I took him home down Wombats in between my ski's - he was so excited but kept telling me he wanted to ski down on his own !!

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Good stuff WS.

He's ready for the "dark side" now.....
wink.gif

Just got to get the other problem sorted eh ?
biggrin.gif

P

PolePlant

wannaski said:
down Wombats in between my ski's - he was so excited but kept telling me he wanted to ski down on his own !!

Dont take it the wrong way but thats not a safe way to go with the kiddies tween the legs.
He would be safer on his own with you close enough to head off any wrong turns and behind to cover from people coming downhill.
And he would think he is skiing on his own
wink.gif

At 5 my mum was too fast for me.
At 6 she was too slow for me.
It doesnt end there.

Good to see you got him in ski school early, it makes it fun
I urge parents to put their kids into ski school as often as they can afford to.
Dont make the same mistakes most of my generations parents did and hauled us around being parent / instructors full time.

I have to agree with PP on this also. I remember a couple of years back the chopper was at Buller flying a little boy back to Melbourne. The father was skiing down Bourke St with the boy between his legs, fell on top of the boy and broke his femur so badly they had to airlift to Melbourne. IIRC the father sustained some quite nasty leg / knee injury too. We used a harness system ( briefly ) with a couple of ours in combination with the "edgie wedgie" and this allowed them the sensation of skiing on their own but we had control about how fast and far away from us they were.

The greatest fun you can have in the snow is skiing as a family - we had our first true family ski in Jan 2006 when our youngest was about 3. He's now 7 and he and our (then) 11 yo daughetr skied with us in Park City in Jan this year and could go pretty much anywhere. Boot deep freshies for me in McConkeys (double black) were knee deep for him.
smile.gif

Can't even keep up with my 15 yo anymore.
rolleyes.gif

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i've had a couple of times where i've been skiing with people who thought they could put beginner kids between their legs for a long ski back to the village. i've ended up piggy backing the kid because the parents have over-estimated the ability of the kid or themselves. i certainly don't trust myself to ski all of wombats ramble with a kid between my legs

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
Great weekend, but (for me at least) the fat lady has sung...

The FC grooming crew and snow-makers have done a fantastic job to keep Scott and Ruined open for skiing. You only have to look beyond the piste to see that there really is bugger-all natural snow left.

Anyway... RC, Scotty's, and Race Track had almost complete cover, although the bottom of Scotty's was getting very thin yesterday. It was fun skiing, although it did get very heavy by late morning. Yesterday hit 15C, so that was not surprising. Corkscrew Gully was a bit of fun, but you had to pick your way down.

Did not venture over to Towers and downloaded on FX, so cannot comment on Towers, Drovers, or Wombat's (but I could only imagine what the latter would be like).

BTW: Don't park in the village. Heaps of cars booked. Why? The place was close to deserted.

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
We are finally home - had an amazing week, havn't been on here since my last post so just saw the comments on skiing with my son between my legs. I don't take any offence to any comments you are entitled to your olpinions. I just did what I thought was best and thought it was a great way to teach him his triangles as we snow ploughed the entire way down at a snales pace which yes did burn the legs , but we also took lots of breaks. Friday afternoon we met up with his ski school going down Wombats and he did ski most of it on his own- but until this there is no way I would let him do it as he just wouldn't listen and didn't know how to stop.
Friday morning had to be my best runs of the week on South Face and Ruined, there was no one there and it was fantastic.

What an amazing holiday we all had , everone at Falls was fantastic!!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Glad it all worked out for you, spring skiing is great for small kids, they don't whinge so much about the cold, it's all fun fun fun. Now they'll nag ang untill you take them back next year!

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Apresski said:
Glad it all worked out for you, spring skiing is great for small kids, they don't whinge so much about the cold, it's all fun fun fun. Now they'll nag ang untill you take them back next year!

We were very lucky and picked the right week !!! It works in my favour if they nag as that makes it 3 against 1 . More chance for me to ski more
biggrin.gif

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is how reasonable I found the prices at Foodworks to be. Some things like snacks were a litlle dearer but the majority of things were very good even beer didn't have a huge mark up.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass