1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

falls creek ticketing

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by markm, May 22, 2013.

1. markm

markm Hard Yards

Looking at eagle chair cam, i notice a structure with red light indicators.
    Is this part of a new ticket scanning operation?
    Just wondering.
    markmacer

2. Hothski

Hothski Hard Yards

Certainly looks like it.

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

From what I've heard they are putting gates on express, eagle & summit for this season. don't know if they are doing inter as well

4. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

This is part of the reason (besides determining marketing and staffing requirements) they were scanning all tickets and passes on access lifts last season.

Now crossing fingers in the hope that they actually work and don't wind up like the scanners!

5. currawong

I think that one of the problems with scanners was battery life. IME it was worse at Hotham where they had higher numbers of people to scan, especially at Heavenly. As the season progressed I believe that the useful time between charges got worse and worse.

Having wired in scanners should be a big jump forward.

One of the other problems last year was that people scanning were often too close to the load point, so any hold up with scanning was likely to result in broken 4s/missed chairs. I'm looking forward to that being less of a problem too

6. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Whoops. Didn't see this thread, but I am seeing the same as you guys.

7. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

I totally agree on all accounts. We had the same scanners in the resort I was working at in Canada as they did at FC with exactly the same issues.

I wonder whether Eagle and Summit will have the capability to stagger gate entry so that say the left side opens for one chair and the right for the next.

I'm also glad for the location of the gates on Eagle, that area is generally a disaster, with people attempting to use it as a walking path to Summit/dressing room (blocking flow of guests) and others scooting around the back to go to the side with the shortest line. Will definitely alleviate some frustration.

8. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Never had a problem on the Summit. Hope it's still ski straight in.

9. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

Actually.. I wonder whether the scanners focus on the chip or the barcode on the passes.. Because I know that the hand scanners used the chip.. And if you have a bank card/credit card with the chip it will scan and beep as okay (in the same manner as the lift pass) and whether or not the permanent gates are the same.

10. currawong

You're joking

One of the guys working summit last year used to just make a joke of it and say beep because the machine was so stuffed. Certainly that meant that there were no congestion problems, but that was down to staff flexibility/initiative, not the technology. I thinkk it was only possible because there are not the same numbers skiing summit and the towies get to recognise many of them and don't need to check all the time

#10 currawong, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hmm, I might ski up and say beep to the machine this season ;-)

12. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Err Not too sure about that one. When your passes are scanned the RFID chip in the pass provides details (such as accumulated ski days, name, gender) on the hand scanner.

#12 Stratus, May 24, 2013
  13. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Will we get this to go with the RFID?

Dashboard

#13 stansi, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  14. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

I was told this by someone in IT with FCSL - They had a lot of issues especially with Alpine Pass holders who clued on at Hotham and were getting away with not paying the per day charge. The main reason they got away with it on both mountains was because the machines weren't working properly, and weren't displaying the data on the screens (which is why if you asked for days ridden it was rarely able to be given and even less likely to be accurate). Some got away with it for the majority of the season.

I was more so inquiring as given they work off the chip rather than the barcode (as they do in Canada) and the gates are unable to display data, is there some form of encryption in the system to ensure that there are criteria that needs to be met for the gates to open? Perhaps I'm thinking too far on a tangent with that one.

#14 Sh4d0w9, May 25, 2013
  15. Hully

Hully One of Us

Last year's hand scanners could read either a chip or bar code depending on which button the operators pushed. Normal season passes had both 'chips' and barcodes, the 'Local' passes and paper tickets had barcodes only. My understanding of the technology was that regardless of the method of identifying the media (chip or barcode) the database info accessed was exactly the same. Main difference this year is that all media will be 'chip' (RFID) readable. I probably got scanned more days than most people and the days ridden was accurate if you were scanned by a functioning scanner on each day. I understand that the scanning and gate equipment that has been purchased to be installed for this season is the real deal and not the budget model.
    Note: there were people who finished up with Vic Pol last season for thinking that they could get away with not purchasing daily passes for their Alpine Pass.