1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Falls Creek to Hotham walk in one day?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Hopey1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

Morning All,

After a very pleasant weekend strolling around the high country we got talking and a mate (who dislikes packs) who was insistent that day walks were the only way to go and as such was gong to complete the Falls Creek to Hotham walk in a single day.
    Some back and fourth ensured and $100 was laid down.....

So my question is what does everyone think? Is this possible for a normal, slightly fitter than average person to do? Or is my money safe?

For the record, day was define as sunrise to sunset.

2. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

And for the record we are aware of the safety aspects etc etc so no concerns there!

3. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have done there and back in a day, summer and winter.

4. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

70odd kms in a single day in winter? Impressive....

5. Boodwah

Actually did it from DP via Brandy Creek so a bit longer from memory. Would have liked a kite for the return leg.

cookieman and Vanders like this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

better off going real slow with day pack....weather at moment is stable and warm...

here is what u do if travelling byself or with one other member....

bivvy at Westons Hut sleep on bench on a foam mat u have carried in your day gear.....that's it see how slow u can go and take lots of pics... or in loft at Dibbins Hut....watch out for those pesky school groups .....slow is the word....go dawdle speed and enjoy every bit of scenery in this Indian Summer...:eek:

#6 Ubiquitous Steve, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. legend

legend One of Us

No probs to do it in a single day. Allow about 8 - 10 hours (this is about a 3.5 - 4 kph average).

8. Boodwah

Checked last night because 70 seemed a lot more than I recall. Not sure where you get 70 km from. I've always considered Hotham-Falls as a good half-marathon/full marathon return. Bit more from DP via Brandy.

9. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

As the crow flies isn't that only 18-19km one way ? The road would be 70km.

10. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

11. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

A mate at work skied from the Perisher Car Park to Jagungal and back in a day two seasons ago.

hongomania likes this.
  12. Boodwah

13. Boodwah

About 50km return? Skate or touring?

14. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Skate, he said it was 70 something k.

15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Given the kind of folks you work with I'm not that surprised!

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears say knock off one of those trendy Mt Bikes and do Loch Car Park to Red Robbin Battery in no time at all....:thumbs:

17. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hotham to Bogong Village via the Fainters is quite a good days outing.

hongomania likes this.
  18. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

Walking track says its 37kms one way, there and back would total 74kms. I see above that you have taken a different (shorter?) route?

Either way, it seems that's its fairly possible and my $100 is in danger...

19. Boodwah

Don't turn R travelling north at pole 333. Just continue north to Pretty Valley pondage and then east to Falls, around 20km.

Mufts and ladycamper like this.
  20. Ubiquitous Steve

Boodwah is on money....from triple pole line junction 333 go to right (not on pole line but across country)of higher ground towards Mt Mackay Tower in distance and come out on Fire Trail above Pretty Valley Pondage Causeway......so onto Tawonga Huts Fire Trail ...shortest route...stay on roughly the same elevation as you go over treeless plains ahead..not to high but don't decend to low till you are closer to the fire trail in front of you...;)

21. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The promoted walk is artificially long to make it seem more significant for marketing purposes.

I think you've done your dough but would hate to think that safety considerations would be subject to winning a bet

22. Ubiquitous Steve

only dangerous thing are those European Wasps that have taken over the shop.....:cry:

23. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Even in summer with a dawn start, it's an ambitious undertaking for most.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  24. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Because it's a holiday walk and the "official" route has better views and several camping options directly on the route or as short side trips.

25. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

For a reasonably fit person with only the bare minimum of kit it's an easy full day. Even with a full winter kit on the back it can be done in a day if the snow is good and the weather is kind and you are physically in shape

26. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

That's what we did, summer walk/jog, half a day moving with no packs.

27. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

yep.......and you could be belted by weather and ice / snow / sago / hail / rain and take 3 days like friends of mine did some 10 years ago

ladycamper and currawong like this.
  28. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Heck I remember one year where it took the two of us a week because of the weather, holed up in the old SEC hut [ Cope Saddle Hut] for 2 days unable to move for the wind and whiteout conditions during the day. Warm enough in the tent sheltered by the hut and we always carried extra food and fuel [ and still do] but it is a reminder of what can happen.
    That's why the proviso on good weather in the post. Heck even my minimum daypack for winter weighs 8kg because of the changeability weather and the need for extra capability
    Actually rechecking and repacking that pack now in readyness

29. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Walk, yes no issue to do that in a day. The usual preparations required of course in the event the weather turns. As for XC I seem to recall there was a race between car and skier some years ago. Skier won. Car drove FC to Hotham (or vice versa?) via Tawonga Gap. Skier set off and beat car. For some reason I think it may have been Alan Ferrari although possibly not....but he would likely know.

http://www.alpinehighcountry.com/editions/S1113/files/s1113.pdf

ladycamper likes this.
  30. Ubiquitous Steve

Bears say driver probably stopped for a counter lunch in Bright before whipping back to Germantown Bridge...:cheers:

ladycamper likes this.
  31. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

From Tawonga Huts turnoff to Pretty Valley Hut I'm not sure it's fully lined with poles. At Pretty Valley Hut it's an easy route to find to Falls Creek.

32. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Correct, there is a road to follow which is normally simple but harder work in a white out, which I've done more often than in the clear. Be careful in this area between Pretty Valley & Tawonga Huts as there are drains / aquaducts to fall into when covered in snow. So take care when following a compass bearing in no vis.

ladycamper likes this.
  33. BillyKidd

Had a feeling it was a Norwegian pro XC skier who did it or along those lines. Also seem to recall the car was a fast Nazi slotcar ....so maybe he did have lunch?!

34. skifree

Nazi ?

Is this the word you intended ?

35. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

There used to be an annual XC race from Hotham to Falls. Not sure if it's still held.

36. BillyKidd

Yeah. Nazi as in German slot-car....Porsche (or other marque). Nazi!

37. skifree

Really? That seems uncalled for and completely inaccurate. None of the German car manufacturers would have had much if anything to do with the Nazi party or their policies for 70 or so years.

38. Ubiquitous Steve

nobodys ganna be able to continue past Moondogs Camp....once they see his set up they will probably say stuff this race against the clock and stop for a long arvo tea and cake with him.....:p:p:p

ladycamper likes this.
  39. Ubiquitous Steve

what you do is to scoot up Tawonga Fire Trail for 3/4 of way then head off to the side under ridge line towards the three pole junction.....however coming back each time I seem to stuff up..well more so on foot than skis when its snow covered....don't go to low on traverse when you go from 3pole junction area keep heading up hill a little if you go to low you will end up in the shit so too speak....boulder rivers covered in low vegetation etc.. if you see a group of three snow gums out on horizon then steer at least 15deg to their left....how I keep stuffing this simple traverse up god only knows(probably because I don't use compass any more) so head up a little to a low micro saddle then down other side to land on jeep track 3/4 of way up this hill..always stay high and don't drop altitude because its not ganna help...:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

skifree likes this.
  40. Ubiquitous Steve

there is no snow pole line between Tawonga Huts and P.Valley Hut along the Tawonga Fire Trail...white out can be fun till one gets close to destination so there are snow gums and then causeway thro pondage for reference...

now its always struck me as odd that no pole line exists on this well used/populated route...but that's just the way it is...

most of us just grin and bear white out and go over on compass bearing till we see some land marks...

inexperienced parties should be careful in really bad weather ...white outs one thing but when its howling with heavy windchill its not good for experimenting..so GPS could be invaluable......Team Bears have never screwed up navigation here..only place to cross Pretty Valley Water Course is this causeway here or on long snowpoled route (dog leg via Bundarra,CopeSaddleHut and upstream causeway..) don't think any snow bridges will exist to cross in this wide basin upstream of causeway on Tawonga Fire Trail..:oops::oops::oops::oops:

we can spend days arguing whether a snow pole line should be established here or not...

inexperienced parties that have poor knowledge of this area or on first encounter must take care in bad white out/blizzard like conditions...

if we accept that no snow poles exist to mark this route in bad weather then a sign on causeway should say this definitely.....

#40 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  41. DagdaMor

DagdaMor Hard Yards

With a firm snowpack with a little give so you aren't skittering all over the place on the downs I can easily believe it, a good skater would be averaging over 10km/h without any trouble. Our rambling high country is fantastic on skate skis on those days when the snow is firm with just a touch of give, you can tear all over the place :thumbs:, just sucks if things soften up enough that you start to punch down on the kick :mad:

Telemark Phat likes this.
  42. skifree

yes, I have thought it was odd as well, not everyone is going to go in and out via Cope Saddle hut which is where the pole line goes from memory.

43. BillyKidd

It's easier than saying Square-head slotcar.

44. Ubiquitous Steve

well a contest to see who can go from Hotham to Falls Ck could be interesting this weekend...
    as its possible that Hotham Rd will get closed giving even the average Joe on Snow Shoes a half day advantage perhaps...

but then we suppose a Sq Hd Slot car could try to go via Omeo and Mt Wills via Mitta Mitta,Lockhart Gap and to the Kiewa Valley Highway on past Mt Beauty.....what would this take say minimum of 6hours of thrashing(Mt Wills section could be a bit of time hole too....:p:p:p:p ohh we forgot the Mitta Mitta to Mt Ck Short Cut.....this could either stuff the Sq Hd Slot Driver or he could gain advantage....:whistle::whistle::whistle:

skifree likes this.
  45. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Speaking to a buddy who recently (i.e. winter, so ski touring where possible) did staircase (bottom of Mt Bogong) to Hotham in one day :eek: - started at 1am, got to falls at 1pm feeling good and decided to keep going. He is clearly a lot fitter and faster than I am!

ladycamper likes this.
  46. Skiddy85

Skiddy85 Hard Yards

Hasn't trying to do that route in a day killed people? Pretty sure I read something to the effect that that's why Derricks hut was put there and named that.

ladycamper likes this.
  47. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Not sure, it took 18 hours all up. He's one of the alpine SAR guys, extremely fit and knows the countryside well. Derrick hut is so close to hotham I'm not sure it helps much in that regard.

48. Boodwah

That was on my agenda this year, but a bad knee got in the way. It was made famous by the first recorded attempt by Charles Derrick who died trying, mostly because of feral weather. Whilst his memorial is in the small saddle between Gotcha and Keoghs chairlifts, this was where he was found and he actually died a little later back at Wang Ski Club.

ladycamper likes this.
  49. Skiddy85

Skiddy85 Hard Yards

I was sure someone would have more info than I. Certainly no chance I could manage it on any legal form of transport, summer or winter.

50. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, mates with the same bloke. He did it on AT gear as well. Admittedly light weight and pattern bases but this would be a time I'd expect on much lighter XC gear. He is a unit! His sustenance was Clif bars and gels.
    He paddled with a small unsupported group from Vic to Tas just prior to winter.