Falls Creek Trails

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Hey All,
Thought I'd ask everyone what would be the likelihood of all the trails opening up this season at falls?

Also how black are the runs such as Valley of the moon, jigsaw, roller coaster, black & Blue, etc?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
about even money on all being open, maybe a bit better.

how black depends on conditions. In groomed fresh -ish snow, not very black. In ungroomed or icy or marginal, some can be very black.

Its many years since I saw a groom on chainsaw. the bumps on there tend to be very nasty. Widow maker is narrower, but the bumps are less choppy - but it is narrow and black.

valley of the moon and wishing well are mainly blue, with a few mogul short sections that can be black and/or very unpleasant.

on a good day, the maze is heaven.

kasto

First Runs
Nov 8, 2006
Melbourne
It needs atleast a 1m cover to open that area as the ground vegetation is regrowing quite densly after the fires.

We got first tracks through the maze area for about an hour or two very early August last season and it was close to the best skiing I have had in Aus!! Im quite new to Falls (been skiing there for 4 seasons now), but IMO the maze area is good only on the rare occassion/after a decent snow fall... Without snow it is very icy/patchy/bumpy which is always fun too come to think of it
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the maze was fantastic in 2003 and 2004. Barely worth skiing there in the last few years. Quite a lot of it needs 1.5-2 metres

Gabii

First Runs
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
Wasn't game last year, i was there in very early August, there was a bit of a white out and you couldnt see 2-3 meters in front! So, not keen on getting lost in there in that sort of weather. When i went back a week (or two?) later, i was skiing with a friend not confident enough to give it a go.

So, next year! I don't think i've skiied it since... 2005, i think it was.

Although the gamest thing ive done is ski down the back of Myrtleford Lodge/Hub supermarket, and it runs out into the Gully.... no idea how i didn't miss the drains!

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com
Parts of the Maze were pretty good in July last year - can remember some beautiful mornings in the Wishing Well bowl. Mind you, by the time you got down to near the La Plunge exit, the snow changed dramatically.

Will they open this year? Will it snow this year. At this stage, I would say probably to both.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass