1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. NOTICE: Did you lose your profile avatar image as a result of the great hammo-ing of 2020? (Sat 16 & Sun 17 Aug). If yes, then you need to know it won't be coming back, best to re-upload.

This notice may be closed
    Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek Village Map

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Nicko83, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Hi

Can anyone help me, I love the ski in/out village but sometimes get confused as which way the streets go as I don't ski at Falls much or stay at the same place. I've looked at all the maps but they provide little info on which way the fall line is. Is there a regular who could add some arrows to a village map?

I've got a group coming up in a couple of weekends and be good to show them the best way to get back as no one likes walking up hill unnecessarily.

Thanks

2. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Do you know where you're staying Nicko83?

3. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Cooroona Lodge

4. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've stayed there before - good choice. In the morning you will want to ski down to the Gully chair (there is a good shortcut behind the post office/supermarket), and then coming home the best way I think would be to come down Ory's Trail, turn right at Schuss St, then left at Slalom St. From memory it is a bit of an uphill back up Slalom St from Falls Creek Rd.

5. mick chopps

That's down near the bottom of the Gully chair lift which is the lowest point in the village. For coming "home" after a day's riding you'll want to use the summit bowl or Ory's access trail for a downhill ski all the way. If you come down wombats ramble there'll be some walking.

If you're heading to the pub/bar/restaurant for dinner or drinks it's gonna be all up hill on the way and downhill on the way back.

Remember, there is the resort shuttle which you can use to get around if you don't feel like walking although I'm not sure where the nearest stop is to Cooroona.

When looking at the map, The Summit Bowl (Bottom of Summit Chair) and Schuss/Parallel streets are the highest points in the village. There's also a high point around the junction of Slalom and Sitzmark streets which can catch people out skiing home from the Summit Bowl.

6. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Thanks for that guys. I'm with a group of about 12-14 aged around 30, what you recommend for a good pub/bar crawl home. Dinner is included with the lodge so would want to be back by 7:30, but any happy hours good spots worth checking out from say 4pm till 7ish?

7. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Man is usually a good bet for pre-dinner drinks and it isn't too far from Cooroona.

8. mick chopps

Yep the Man is good solid option for a standard pub. In the summit bowl is the Frying Pan Inn and the Falls Creek Hotel.

9. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Cheers. Click for large version.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Had pizzas from the Man this evening. Their website says delivery - just doesn't happen. :(

Pizzas were good though.

11. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

[​IMG] https://www.flickr.com/photos/snowsafari/14525908369/in/photostream/

Thanks everyone for your help, had a bit of trouble loading my edited map, can anyone verify the arrows showing the downhill directions are correct??

Also maybe this is another discussion but be great to get some local advice on happy hours and good bars for the afternoon (4-7pm) before we have dinner at 7:30 (Will save the man for after dinner for those wanting to kick on till late)

Thinking meet at the frying pan around 3:30/4 (looks like it will be sunny on Sat so nice to sit out the front) then head back to the lodge via 2 or 3 bars for a bit of a bar crawl.

There are about 20-24 of us at the moment (around 30 yrs old) if you're up at Falls this weekend feel free to join in.

If anyone has connections with bars up there let me know be good to try and organise something.

Thanks everyone.

12. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Or would it be better to work our way from Slalom Plaza?

13. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Accurate.

14. Hully

Hully One of Us

The 2 arrows in the B zone at the Bowl are in the wrong direction.

15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Where christie st meets falls creek , there is another lane that goes behind the fc country club and takes you down to gully chair and international poma. Take this, do not follow falls creek rd which will only take you to the oversnow terminal.

From bottom of gully you can also get a road shuttle bus to fc express if you don't want to walk uphill to get to the downhill bit of slalom st.

The village shuttle is supposed to stop at corner of slalom and falls creek rd, but often bypasses this. Better to go to corner of slalom & sitzmark, although the service is still not reliable.

If your group are beginners, it will probably be easiest to go directly to fc express in the morning, even with the short uphill wall. Coming home beginners may find Ory's trail intimidating. either get the village shuttle from fc express or ski home via the bowl and walk up slalom st to cooroona

If you want a good bar rather than a pub, try winterhaven, next door. Best bar on the mountain. Also good nearby is Astra.

16. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Thanks for all the help, the group has just grown again to 30 so should be a fun weekend, I think we only have one beginner but he has been up a few times now so everyone is pretty capable of getting around the village. Will try Winterhaven. Everyone enjoyed Astra last year. Got quite a few first timers to Falls so be good to show them a good mix of pubs and bars around the village as I think that's one of the best parts of Falls.

Thinking coming home via the top of the village may be the best option now.

Also good lunch options?

17. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Also note you can travel up to the Village Bowl on the Gully Chairlift for free. No luggage allowed

18. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

good lunch options
    • FC Hotel has a much better menu than recent years. Great spot for a beer and bite, especially on a sunny day
    • ELK has a $17.50 express lunch, and when there is snow on the road you can ski in/out
    • Milch at the bottom of Ory's trail also offers ski in/out in good conditions. Haven't been there this year yet
    • Stingray at bottom of FC Express was quite good last year, although I've heard it's slipped this year. I've only had coffee this year which was fine. There is also a Kran-ski stand outside, and a hole in the wall take-away called The Pass.
    • Gateway Cafe at bottom of Inter and Gully - not as cheap as it used to be but still good tucker
    • Gully Cafe at Huski - harder to get to but good food

Best snack: Snownuts near bottom of FC Express

19. mick chopps

We ate at Elk on Sunday, express lunch was good although other menu options didn't represent great value for money.

Gully Cafe was good as usual and I'd say not really much more difficult than Elk. Muffins are divine.

Snownuts is happening.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Had dinner there the other week, definitely be going back. Go the chicken burger.

21. Nicko83

Nicko83 First Runs

Thanks some good ideas, now need to make some decisions for lunch and bar crawl, a lot of good options for 2 lunches and one après session, looking forward to it.

I go to Hotham but looking for recommendations for places for dinner on Friday night once you turn of the Great Alpine Rd, I know the places up to Bright well but wandering what is good after this. (Still not sure if I will go via Bright or turn of at Ovens)