Falls creek with young kids

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Aurelie, May 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Aurelie

Aurelie Active Member

Hello everyone! we are a family of 5 with 3 boys of 2,5 y old 5 and 7.
    Where do you think we should stay? I have no idea where to book.
    I would like something close to childcare and ski lessons if possible.
    Is falls creek better than Hotham or buller with young kids?
    we plan to have them in childcare or take lesson for half days.
    Thank you for your responses
    Aurelie

2. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

With young kids, some things that worked well for us at Falls:

* stay close to bottom of Falls Express chair, apartments like Les Chalet are well positioned
    * this means you are close to the supermarket, don't need to walk a long way if snow conditions are poor
    * put the older kids in the ski school kids club, they will love it, 2.5 yr kid may be too young, but check what can be done
    * enjoy !!!

Aurelie and currawong like this.
  3. Skipress

Skipress Active Member

Pretty Valley Lodge ticks all the boxes for your family requirements

4. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Are you looking for apartment, self cater lodge or our lodge with meals? I'm not sure some of the places I mention might have restrictions on kids in some weeks of the season.

Near Falls Creek Express
    Lodge with meals is most expensive but can be more of a holiday for parents. Pretty Valley is ideally located if you want that. They push the family friendly aspect too. Nelse is also fairly close to Falls Express too

Self cater lodges in that area include Chorki and Cosella

Apartments include Les Chalets, QT, Ropers (latter is owned by Pretty Valley and has access to some of their facilities I think)

In the Bowl
    Another option is to stay near the top of the gully chair and use it to go down to the road where you get a shuttle bus the short distance to Falls Express. Once kids can ski a bit, you can jump on Eagle chair instead and then traverse to ski school at the top. Falls Creek Hotel is a catered lodge in the bowl with an excellent reputation for families. there are apartments and other catered lodges in the bowl. AFAIK all the self cater lodges in the bowl only take bookings from members.

Country Club apartments, and Gebi's apartments are at the base of gully chair, so it's just a quick shuttle ride to Falls Creek express - or jump on gully chair to get to eagle chair etc. My BIL stayed at country club with his kids and was very pleased with it.

Other considerations
    Lodges can be great for families. Instead of being confined to an apartment, kids can play with other kids. There is often some sort of games room where kids can muck around. Parents can enjoy a drink and relaxed chat with other adults without having to go out, knowing that kids are safe in the same building.

Swimming pools or spas are a plus for giving kids something else to do if not skiing. IIRC pretty valley/ropers, falls creek hotel and country club all have pools.

====================
    update

I'm pretty sure Nelse has a pool too

#4 currawong, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Personally, I would put the 5 and 7 year old in ski school all day. They will love it. Ski School is located at the top of Falls Express and is part of the Cloud 9 building. If the kids are cold, or whinging, they are taken into the ski school for hot chocolates and a play. The Magic Carpet is right outside, so if they haven't skied before they will start there.
    Unfortunately the 2 and a half year old won't be able to attend ski school, child care centre is in St Falls at the bottom of the Falls Express chairlift. It's $130 per day, I would book it asap to ensure a spot. They don't take kids over 5.
    My kids did all day ski school from the age of 3, before the facilities were as good as they are now, it was hard to get them to leave at the end of the day. The instructors make it fun, they'll have a great time.
    With regard to accommodation, what Curra said but include www.mountainmultiservice.com.au they have several apartments around the Falls Express area. Have a great holiday.

6. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I don't have kids but talking to those that do, it really depends on the kids. Some can't get enough of ski school, others find it a bit much to do all day or every day. It can be nice to leave some time to ski with kids before they get too tired at the end of the day

Something else that might interest you.The last few years there has been a special deal for mums with kids in all day ski school. I assume it will be on offer again this year. buy a special group lesson, meet for coffee after kids start ski school then have a lesson. ski for free for the rest of the day. I think this may have been extended to dads, but the intention was to get more mums out of the lodge and back on skis.
    http://www.skifalls.com.au/MumSkisFree

7. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

I ski hotham more than falls (but do both each year), Falls is generally better (attitude) with young kids and families, but at hotham the Big D (learners area) is more protected from wind etc than the top of Falls, where the kids lessons are, when the weather is shite.

Kids learn to ski better off instructors than their parents, and have more fun. They also learn to carry their own bloody skis.

until my 3 kids were 6 or so they did mornings only, and then either lodge in the arvo (inc snow play and tobogganing) or a 'free-ski' with mum n dad

between 7 and 11 they are happy with a whole day because they get to eat absolute rubbish for lunch (dim sims and red lemonade)...but i would say not all day, every day (if you are up for 5/7/9 days). 2 days is fine for all day.

By about 6-7 at hotham they are doing the access trails, which the kids love and exploring the mountain more

By 9 or 10 they will go out to the orchard or even spargos

my oldest is 12 now and he wants to ski with us or with his mates in the arvo

Vote1 for shared lodges. It is very healthy for the kids to share, and meet other people / kids. Apartments end up just being like family life (with all its trials and tribulations) at the snow.

Aurelie likes this.
  8. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not to downgrade the options of Falls and Hotham but I think you should consider Buller. I myself was taught skiing at Buller. A couple of reasons
    • Most of the accomodation is close to the town centre and ski school.
    • It has got perfect first timer terrain.
    • It has got a huge variety of terrain from flat learning area to steep bowls.
    • Ski school is very good, so it is easiest if you send the older kids to ski school.
    • BSL (Buller ski lifts) run a quality Childcare right next to Ski School so easy access.
    • Everything entertainment and shopping wise is up at Buller.
    Check out Buller's website or the Buller section of these forums.
    Good Luck

9. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'm happy to concede things that other resorts do better than Falls, but perfect first timer terrain is not something that I would credit Buller with. What mr said about Big D is true - fantastic area for kids to learn

I'd also question the closeness of "most accommodation" to ski school etc

I learnt to ski on Bourke St and I suppose it didn't kill me....

Apresski likes this.
  10. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Bourke St is not bad but Big D is better, it's really the combo of Bourke St and Baldy, Burnt Hut which makes the terrain good for first timers and beginners.

And the accomodation... Bourke St is close to 60% of the village and as for the rest, I concede has a good walk in it.

But still Buller is closer to Melbourne and a set of a good variety of terrain

11. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 Active Member

First time I skied was at Buller in their fabulous (not) snow conditions of mid-July 2013, it was ski down Bourke St avoiding everyone else and the mud patches and then when you got bored of that, throw yourself down Little Buller Spur and Shakey Knees (literally those 3 were all that was open). Only skied 2 days cos conditions were that shite.
    Went to Falls the following year (mind you much better snow) but way better beginner slopes, less crowded too. We were ski in/out and easy options to get back home and to the lifts each morning for beginners. Coming from Adelaide, wouldn't take the gamble of skiing Buller anymore, unless booked once the season had started. If we go back to the snow in Australia, we'll go to Falls, even more so if we have beginners tagging along.

12. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

To me, Falls would be a good choice for little ones if close to the Falls express. Thrill of the chair ride and dismount on flat terrain. Probably the most sheltered resort in Vic if you want to go for a wander through the village in crap weather when not skiing or boarding. Hotham can be an absolute beast in bad weather but the snow quality usually makes up for that. Big D would be fine for little ones, but not if you want to sneak off for a quick ski . When you stay at Buller, sometimes it can be a bit of a slog going to and from lodgings. Stayed at them all, and I reckon Falls would be the pick for me if I was in your situation. Maybe consider staying at Mt Beauty / Tawonga South ?. Much better value and only a 35 minute drive.

Aurelie and currawong like this.
  13. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

big d is great for a quick ski! i love all the woohooing parents dropping into mccolls after dropping the kids at the big d!!

14. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

as long as it's open :)

mr likes this.
  15. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

The only problem is the snowfall at Buller. We get the worst snow conditions out of the big 3 Vic resorts (worst at Baw Baw). Bourke St is pretty protected (not Baldy). I still think Buller is a good resort suited to families( If you want to spend more time driving, head to Hotham)

Ps Bogong High Plains Road is personally too windy for day trips from Mt Beauty.

16. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

might be too winding for you but it's ok for many families - depends on the individual kids

17. LMSM

LMSM Active Member

We have been to Falls three times with our three kids, the first time we went they were 1,3 and 5. We started with the 3 and 5 year old in ski school for two full days but over the years we have progressed to at least three full days ski school for all of them (usually with another half day tacked on because they don't want to stop going). Ski school is fantastic and it's so cute to sit in Cloud 9 and covertly watch them.

We are from NSW and also go to Perisher but nothing beats Falls for the complete snow experience for young kids. It's so easy to take turns with child watching and there's nothing like being able to just walk out the door and go sliding or build a snowman.

We stay at Alpine View Apartments which is in the Village Bowl. It's not the most convenient location for the Falls Express but there is a shuttle right there that you can catch. We managed with our kids without too much problem. Now they are a bit older and can actually board and ski we just catch the Eagle chair straight up the top which is literally just beside the building. We can also ski the home trail back right to our door.

18. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

We put our 5 year old into ski school there in 2008. He hated it. All they let him do was 'the stupid carpet ' and he hates Milo!!!

So make sure your kids love milo before that go and don't over-promise what they will do in class!!!

We loved it though :cheers:

We stayed at Alpineview too, for what it's worth. Found it convenient and a nice area for kids to play around in the evening and a few good eateries.

19. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

That's funny.....

20. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Yeah it's not funny when you fall off the road

21. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

I'll vouch for all day ski school too. Ours started @ 3 with Nazomi, Sam, Charles and Chris (Barbs & Graham etc). They still take privates with these guys years later when the instructors aren't in race club.

As for accommodation you could also check out Attunga with a mix of self catered and catered b&b. Also has a pool and near FX .

22. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Halley's lodge is a consideration too, would be cheaper than Pretty Valley.

23. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Until kids can ski a bit, I think it's a bit of a slog to/from Attunga. Once they can handle themselves on skis though...

I might be wrong but I think they do a lot of school groups now. Might not be so good for families

24. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Falls Creek is probably the easiest, safest approach road of any in Vic except lake mountain, or the Omeo approach to Hotham

Hully, Slalom and mr like this.
  25. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

omeo, omeo......where for art thou omeo?

Mufts and Scott No Mates like this.
  26. Slalom

Slalom Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I did the Omeo route last year to Hotham for the first time after all the years of going via Harrietville. The difference is stark. Far easier and relaxing via Omeo. Mind you it is a lot longer as well if coming from Melbourne.

27. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

if there is a front coming through when we are due i will go via omeo..........twice ive been skiing in freshies the next day when people we are meeting are waiting in harrietville after finding (or not) some dodgy accom.....extra hour and a half is worth it

Slalom likes this.
  28. Scott No Mates

I think all but their first time skiing ours managed Numbnuts Scramble, the access trail then cutting through/around the Red Onion (even if it was on on ski as the track was tight).

Mastering the dip from the end of Arlberg St was another matter.

29. Aurelie

Aurelie Active Member

Thanks so much everyone for all your response!! we booked at Les Chalets in falls creek end july and I will look into the deal Mumskifor free and the kids school as well as the childcare. really appreciate all the responses and the advice!! Looking forward to it !

30. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Hope you all have a great time.

mr likes this.
  31. beard07

beard07 Active Member

We will be taking our 3 year old to Falls Creek for the first time this year in early September, generally get sunnier days so hoping that encourages her more. Won't be sending her to ski school as she'll be just under 3 and may not be toilet trained yet.
    We're also heading there with another family with 2 kids (3 and 1.5), so there will be plenty of snow play and hope they all love it so we can go back again in following years.
    We've always used (Mountain Multiservice) now Alpine Apartments Falls Creek and really enjoyed staying at any of their places.

currawong likes this.
  32. Phil_

Phil_ Active Member

Hi all, I just signed up to this forum. Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences from everyone.

Here's something I would like to share:

We took our kids (2.5 and 5 years old) to Falls Creek for the first time last season. My daughter (5 at the time) absolutely loved the snow school and could wait to go back the next day. She made lots of friends with the other kiddos that were there also.

Our Son (2.5 at the time) didn't go to snow school so we took alternate days off to look after him whilst the other parent would make use of the coffee club (awesome deal by the way!) offer.

In the mornings, we would all catch the Falls Express chairlift up to Cloud 9 where we would break away into snow classes.

On the days I had to look after the little one, I would take him on the MouseTrap magic carpet and then teach him a few things on his skis. I found that he would be ok in the morning for an hour (1.5 if lucky) or so before he would get tired. Once he started to tire, his cooperation would be non existent. However I countered that with a reward of chocolate. That seemed to give him a little bit more energy to ski longer.

After my morning session with the little guy, we would then catch the chair lift back down, and slowly walk back to our apartments. We stayed about 10 mins walk away from the Express lift, so the walk back would have been tiring for him. By the time we got back to our apartment, we would have an early lunch, followed by a short nap to recharge his energy.

This season, we're staying right next to the express lifts, so we're pretty excited about that. We'll be visiting in August/September this year.

Slushii, wannaski and Apresski like this.
  33. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Both kids in ski school this year?

34. Phil_

Phil_ Active Member

Yep, we'll be putting both our kids into the ski school this season. Hoping the little guy will have enough energy for the entire time we're there.

Apresski likes this.
  35. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

For parents that aren't skiing or boarding and on kid duty, you can get on the lift for free when accompanying kids up to ski school. I think you need to have the child's lift ticket/lesson already paid for, or organised, to be able to go up with them.
    Others here can confirm.

P.s.Many lodges near Falls Creek Express rent equipment at half the price of the 'main' ski rental shop, keep your eye out for rental signs.
    Falls, no better resort for people to learn to ski or board, in Australia or possibly anywhere else.

36. Phil_

Phil_ Active Member

Yes, when you're about to pass through the gates, let the operator know you're talking the kids up to snow school, and they'll let you through.

37. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

He'll love it, all that hot chocolate and marshmallows! Have a great trip.

Phil_ likes this.
  38. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

if the weathers good take the time out of skiing to have some fun too.....top of drovers last year

Phil_ and Apresski like this.
  39. Phil_

Phil_ Active Member

Thanks mate!

That's why I've always got a box of smarties and a chocolate bar in my backpack :D

Apresski likes this.
  40. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I thought it was for the time you stumble across a diabetic having a moment.........:D

Phil_ likes this.
  41. Phil_

Phil_ Active Member

There's always enough to share :D

42. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Curra is on the money with recommendations on accommodation and with ski school comments. Heading up with a family that young and that size is going to be an expensive proposition and mum and dad will have hands full just managing the baby-sitting, crankiness, "I'm cold/hot/tired/need to pee/want mum/am bored/don't want to do that" carry on that will absolutely happen. If you have child care options then good luck with that too. And in Australia you are rolling the dice with snow conditions etc. Could be a great week but more likely it will be tiring and "an experience" but given ages the adults are the only ones likley to remember most (or all) of it.

43. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

just keep going! we went through all that stuff when they were little and now at 12, 9 and 7 they are all busting to go.....last year even pulled off a few weekend warrior jobs, which i couldnt have imagined 5 years ago

44. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

I agree with going through it....but possibly when slightly older....better return on investment and enjoyment I think. But you never know....roll the dice!

45. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

...we went from when they were born and whilst it was 'tough' i wouldnt have missed it for anything

buggered if i was gonna miss out, even if just a morning here, 2 hrs there, night ski here, arvo tour here, toboggan, ice caves, xc towing a sled with a kid etc

Phil_ likes this.
  46. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

True....very true!

47. LMSM

LMSM Active Member

We put our three in to full days ski school from when they were three. We also made use of the fantastic child care at Falls Creek for a day or two when the youngest was too young for ski school to give us a day child free. Otherwise, we too did the taking in turns thing but we always go with my sister and her husband and kids, so that makes taking turns between four adults much easier.

Scott No Mates and Apresski like this.
  48. Scott No Mates

Enjoy it while you can, once you're stuck with school holidays and not being able to take kids out of school it's pot luck with snow conditions.

We've stayed in Les Chalets near FX as well as Altezza (needed to shuttle to FX) but as they get older it does become much easier (it's all downhill - except at home time if you're not near a home trail/got reasonable cover).

My kids did snowclub from the get go - and still ski with their old instructors many years later.

49. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Wash yer mouth out!! :)

50. Scott No Mates

@mr - the school regulators are pretty nasty around our way