1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Falls Creek. XC ski trip.20/8/19

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Your correspondent in the field went up to Falls Creek to ski on Tuesday 20/8/19.
    The plan originally was to ski around Sun valley and skin up the Boomerang track and drop down to Pretty Valley Hut for lunch. Then after lunch one envisioned skiing up towards Mt. McKay and back down to Windy Corner. However the fierce winds, iffy visibility after lunch and a respiratory tract infection afflicted participant , yours truly, led to forming a more modest plan.
    At least Sun Valley was good to ski on in the morning , with fresh powder snow and interesting wind drifts and couple of dips to ski down and then up, on my fast Fischer skis.
    :).
    There was snow down to the Fainters Lookout at 900 M. and chains were not being fitted to any vehicles.
    The Windy Corner public shelter was busy at lunch time. Usually I eat lunch out on the XC trail but the wind was howling and very cold out there. I could not feel my face , at all.
    After lunch I went back out for another ski ,up the Pretty Valley road. The visibility decreased to almost zero on the way back and I decided I had had enough especially since the R**n word was in action.

Noah, Scott No Mates and neilmny like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I came across this video of some serious BC touring at Falls. Not sure how recently it was taken.

Chris Rishworth does Falls in style.

#2 Scott No Mates, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    neilmny likes this.
  3. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Seems fairly recent but needs a heap of editing. What would the skaters say about a bike on their trails?

4. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

According to Falls Creek Resord Management, Fat Biking is allowed as long as temp is below 0C. The bikes make very little impression on the trail as long as the snow is not too soft. I observed a fat bike towing a pulk last week. Looked like hard work.
    https://www.fallscreek.com.au/listing/fat-biking/
    Despite the temperature restriction, their snow report page indicates that fat biking is open no matter the temperature.

5. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks for that. He seemed to be making some impression in the snow but probably because it was fresh. I tend to avoid the groomed runs on my skis but I can see how a bike would have no hope in fresh.