1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Falls Creek XC ski trip. Windy Cnr. to Langford Gap.30th July 2019

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Yesterday your correspondent in the field rose early from bed at my friend's house in Myrtleford and went up to Falls Creek for the day in search of some XC skiing .
    I skied out to Langford Gap Hut and had lunch there . The Aqueduct near the Hut at Langford Gap looked like Late Sept. out there. Marginal , VERY icy and skis on / skis off, snow melting in the bright spring like sunshine , and big un skiable snow drifts alternating with bare grass and rocks, which could be seen across the BHP too .
    I had Wallace's hut in mind as a destination but the snow cover was bullet proof ice , horrid to ski on and then there were bare patches of road, big sections of grass, it was not good to ski on at all despite being a sunny and clear day with nearly no wind .
    I was not encouraged by the skiing conditions and I should have been skiing on my Madshus Epoch skis for skiing on ungroomed Bullet Proof boiler plate Ice.

I was skiing on my Fischer skinny BC skis with the pattern base and metal edges.

I just went back towards the Dam wall via Langford/ Paul's loop. There were bits of that which were boiler plate ice with skaters' tracks frozen into the surface. I skied along the side of the route where possible but that was also like a rock . Walking with skis for short distance back down to the Lake side track after a stack did not cause my 93 kg frame to break through the surface. . I snow ploughed / plough turned down a descending bend but the metal edged skis did nothing on the ice . I was sliding down the fall line not around the bend so the bum break had to be pulled out to avert a worse crash.
    Herringboning up that surface in places took some doing !
    I skied over 13 kms and noticed that on the way back that even Roper's Aqueduct trail had bare patches.
    WE NEED SOME SNOW!
    What is it with nuff nuffs walking in street shoes on the groomed XC ski trails? I saw them heading out to the Watch bed Creek , up the Paralyser, out to Panorama loop , Roper's track etc.
    They leave footprints down the middle of the corduroy ski trails or worse yet still muck up the classic chook footer tracks by walking all over them and damaging the classic track grooves.
    One day one of these clueless pedestrians will be collected by a very fast skier and I think that would be somehow a fitting result.

Anyway the surface did not soften much all day except for the final descent from the Nordic Bowl back to Windy Corner .That was fun to ski on and it was still fast , firm and unforgiving .
    I am posting some photos of my day out on planks.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The fog and mist after a frosty night hung in the valley below the massif of a snowless Mt. Buffalo, as seen on the drive to Mt. Beauty from Myrtleford.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    neilmny and skifree like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Looking up the Kiewa valley . The Fainters were looking a bit low on snow, while Mt. Bogong still had enough to make it photogenic.

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Heading out of the resort , over the dam wall. It was very crunchy and very icy.
    Since Lake Mtn. has nothing of note to XC ski on at present I am heading further afield to get my fix , if only to ski on ice. Hey , I am almost getting the hang of skiing on ice but I prefer fresh dry powdery snow.

Attached Files:

#3 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The scene at Langford Gap had me concerned what with the lack of continuous BC snow cover , that If I chose to XC ski along the Aqueduct in either direction, then I would be encountering un skiable terrain. The route out to Wallace's Hut was looking a bit icy and iffy too.
    So I went back via a slightly different route via Langford and Paul's Loop which is now marked with a temporary pole line.
    I just took it slowly and relaxed in the wide open spaces.
    Going off track and taking shortcuts meant being careful not to ski over melting snow bridges.

#4 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    neilmny likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Back at Roper's Aqueduct there were eejits in street shoes walking on the classic chookfooter track. I asked them politely not to do this and explained the reason why they should not do it too.
    They denied that they had done it and then I pointed out their footprints!!
    Yes, they were not too bright were they ?
    Spion Kopje and Mt. Bogong looked rather photogenic in the late afternoon sun as I packed up and headed back to Myrtleford in the Tee mobile.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

7. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What a difference a week makes. I skied out to Wallaces last Wednesday and there was a bit of bitumen showing thru and almost 2km of boilerplate ice but a lot more cover than you pics show. I skiid out to PV dam on Thursday and was really pissed off to see 3 sets of boot prints on the trail from Ruined Castle toward the cattle grid, right in the middle of the track. The tracks just disappeared suddenly then I saw 3 guys with snow boards walking up to Rocky Knobs (Knolls?) a bit later. They appeared to be walking away from a couple of Snowmobile thingies (Steven Lee?) but who knows if they were the guys who walked up the middle of the track.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I was inspired by your report to try and ski out to Wallace's Hut myself ,but conditions were not very encouraging. Maybe during August I will get out to Pretty Valley dam as well as Wallace's Hut on two different days. I know the Heathy Spur loop is now viable and a reliable option. I skied it in September last year (2018) .

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.