1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Family holiday with dogs at Dinner Plain

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by wannaski, Aug 15, 2019.

1. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Hi , we are thinking of staying at Dinner plain with our family which includes two dogs . We ski and board and usually go to Falls - last year we stayed off mountain in Mt Beauty as we took our dog ( have also got a puppy since then) and it was awesome as hubby dog sat and went fishing while we went to Falls . However there wasn't many places we could find where you could take a dog to play in the snow though . Dinner plain looks like a good option this year as I need shoulder surgery so am happy to take it easy and our trip will pretty much be about snowplay and enjoying the scenery . I have been told that you no longer need to get a permit for the dogs and have found dog friendly houses there . Just wanted peoples opinions on the area especially with taking the dogs . Thanks

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi.Once you leave the D.P. area , esp. on XC skis heading for Hot Ham and /or Victoria River on the Dinner Plain track , you will enter the Alpine N.P. . Dogs are banned in our national parks. Keep in mind that Mt. Wills is good for XC ski action and snow in winter and is kosha for dogs.

wannaski likes this.
  3. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if the OP wants to XC ski?

wannaski likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

The O.P should contact the management at D.P. to clarify the matter to do with dogs. Since the O.P. has stated that an injury is making the trip about snow play and not skiing of any sort , then staying in Glen Wills at Gordy's B & B and visiting Mt. Wills could be worth considering if D.P. are not able to accommodate the four legged non skier within the resort boundary.

5. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think he's already checked it out. if he's found dog friendly accomm. DP is private land and therefore not subject to NP laws.

wannaski likes this.
  6. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I too read somewhere that they relaxed the permit situation, your dog just has to be registered in your local council which is handy, have been thinking of doing it myself as I hate leaving my dog behind to go on holidays!

I’ve been to DP (but not taken my dog) and I saw heaps of dogs around, people walking them and taking them to the outdoor parts of pubs etc. I believe they also use the tennis courts as an off-lead dog area if conditions permit.

No idea about taking dogs outside of DP though and when I stayed there I just did the usual Hotham skiing thing so can’t help too much regarding anything else :)

wannaski likes this.
  7. Pink

Pink One of Us

8. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

I think you may have to register the dog with alpine shire council (easy) and I think there’s a council limit of 2 per household.

Where you may run into problems is that most rental places simply won’t allow dogs in winter, but some do out of season.

wannaski likes this.
  9. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We are DP folks with dog.
    You used to need a permit for your pup, but not anymore.
    You obviously need to see that your accommodation is dog friendly.
    Leashes around villages, but plenty of space around village off leash.
    I go XC skiing for miles w my pooch, he loves it.

10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

and quoted so I can like it even more

nezumi and Boodwah like this.
  11. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Thanks for the info , we have actually found a few houses that are dog friendly which is really great . Just working out if the available dates will work out at this stage . If we don't get there this season it is definately on our to do list .