1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Family trip to France one month

Discussion in 'Europe' started by aidan145, Jan 27, 2019.

1. aidan145

aidan145 First Runs

Hi all i'm an new member looking for any hints/advice.

My wife is learning French so we are looking to go to France for 4/5 weeks in January next year so she can brush up her skills and me and the kids can ski around.

Looking for any advice on resorts and accommodation, ideally we would like to be in a town, the ski resort does not have to be high end (very intermediate skiers) happy to scoot around the same resort for a few weeks.

Accommodation would be a self contained unit, close to the town, would Air B&B be the best option?

Any advice hints etc would be much appreciated (kids will be 14 and 12)
    Thanks Aidan

2. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds great!
    Look for a small town that links into a bigger area, like portes du Soleil

3. offshore

offshore Early Days

Maybe something like Cauterets in the Pyrenees? Skiing to suit intermediates and the town itself is a regular year round village.

Some good day trip options within 2hrs such as Tolouse, Bordeaux, San Sebstian and Biarritz.

4. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

@Piste Again owns an apartment in France and, from memory, rents it out.

5. piolet

Yep
    ...in a small village connected to portes du Soleil iirc.............. Get on that OP

6. aidan145

aidan145 First Runs

Thanks guys, gives me something to start with anyone ever skied Morzine?

7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Briancon?

8. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Heaps of terrain around Briaçon. Nice little town with access to Serre Chevalier which is massive. Mountain is heavily intermediate to advanced. Gets heaps of sunshine. A bit out of the way so not too much foreign influx.

9. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Aidan

As alleged, we've got an apartment in St Jean d'Aulps, about 10 minutes outside Morzine. It's not a walk to the lifts and the town isn't abuzz with ski tourists, but it's a much better vibe for an extended stay. We're about a 4 minute drive or free shuttle from the local ski hill, and about 15 minutes drive to our favourite free carparks. And unless you pay top dollar in Morzine, you'll have to get a bus or drive to the lifts anyway.

We rent our place on AirBnB but I've already blocked our place out for all but the last few days of next January. My son will be 13 then and I'll have the same problem as you - high schools don't like them taking time off during term. But there are plenty of other places in the area. By about April the enquiries about whole-of-season bookings will start rolling in (we had 2 offers this year) so I'd book early to save disappointment. If you pick St Jean, get something down in the village rather than up near the lifts. As close to the main road as possible!

I think the Portes du Soleil area could suit you well. For one, in anything that's not a restaurant, lift ticket office or ski shop, you'll need to speak quite a bit of French. Especially the supermarkets and non-touristy places. Perfect for your wife, and it'll be good for the kids to be exposed to the culture. The skiers will love it because you could easily spend a month there and not get bored. The place is breathtakingly huge and there's a good variety of terrain to keep everyone happy. There's also enough to do on the rest days to stop you getting bored. Plus it's only 75 minutes easy drive from Geneva.

piolet likes this.
  10. piolet

Also; January is low season. Unless you're an Aussie with a unit up there LOL

Piste Again likes this.
  11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

As it happens...

The Portes du Soleil consists of two large resorts (Avoriaz and Les Gets) connected by a miniature train that runs across Morzine from one side to the other. I suspect they count that as a lift. Then there are a few smaller resorts on both sides of the border (Chatel, Les Crosets, Champery) that are connected to Avoriaz by lifts and pistes, and a few others that are on the same ticket but not interlinked. You generally would choose a part of the area and ski that on any given day, though on a clear day it is fun to buy a full PDS lift pass and do the big circuit (about 35 or 40km) with views of the Matterhorn and Mt Blanc. They claim 600km of groomed trails (34 green /119 blue / 101 red / 32 black).

piolet likes this.