1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Family trip to Japan late 2019/early 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Peanut, May 25, 2019.

1. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Hi all,

Hubby and I have decided that we would like to get a trip in to Japan either at the end of this year or early next year and I would like to pick the brains of the collective wisdom of the forumites. I was doing a lot of research about 12-18 months ago, but I was getting really confused about the sheer volume of information out there, in addition to not really knowing much about the geography of Japan.

Factors to take into consideration include:
    - Hubby has a reasonable understanding of/ability to speak Japanese, but the kids and I don't speak it at all.
    - Mstr 10 becomes a Mstr 11 on NYE, and would be chuffed if he got to see snow/go skiing on his birthday.
    - I'm a teacher, so I'm limited to going during the Aus school holidays.
    - Neither hubby nor I are keen on driving as it will be our first time over there as a family.
    - Mstr 8 (who will be a Mstr 9 by then) has autism and will only have been skiing for about 4-5 days by then, although we're going down the adaptive private lesson route during our NZ trip in July.
    - We would probably be looking to put the kids into lessons at some point, although may need to consider private lessons as Mstr 8 doesn't do well in group lesson situations. Having access to an adaptive instructor would be a bonus.
    - I'm an intermediate skier, and hubby is an advanced skier, but has dodgy knees, so is usually happy cruising around with me and occasionally pushing me to challenge my limits.

Based on prior research, I've been thinking that Hakuba is probably best suited to us, although I'm open to other suggestions. I also have no idea of where to look for accommodation or even what is available, so again, I'm open to suggestions. Finally, I'm wondering if it is worth taking our skis. Mine have a waist width of 84mm and hubby's are 88mm. I can't really see either of us wanting to ski off-piste.

Tanuki likes this.
  2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Information overload commence now....

nezumi and Peanut like this.
  3. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sounds like your on the right track, Hakuba is easy and has English speaking everywhere, plenty of accom in town, Take the skis if staying on piste IMO

Tanuki and Peanut like this.
  4. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I’m no expert on Japan but I would have thought somewhere quiet like Shiga Kogen would be suitable.

Hyst likes this.
  5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Myoko.
    Purely cause they have the best ski school for your needs.
    Plus the terrain is perfect.
    Plus it gets magical snow.

6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My friend has a snowboarding daughter with CP. They found an adaptive instructor at Niseko.

Your skis will be fine.

Peanut and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  7. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Would this be Myoko Snowsports?

Donzah likes this.
  8. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes

9. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Those with English language ski schools and more likely to cater to the above are:

Niseko
    Hakuba
    Nozawa Onsen
    Myoko
    Shiga Kogan

I’d probably start by looking which can do an adaptive ski lesson and go from there.

fennekeg and Peanut like this.
  10. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Get in contact with "Red Warehouse" for Myoko (Akakura) accommodation.
    Very close walk (50 metres) to main street restaurants, convenience stores, Myoko snowsports. English spoken, kid friendly.
    http://red-warehouse.com/

nezumi, M_G and hotsaki like this.
  11. Melskius

Melskius Addicted

We like Naeba/kagura with kids.

12. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Second for Red Warehouse Perfect for families.Pus best snow.

M_G and elSpike like this.
  13. Roymond

Roymond Addicted

Our eldest is Autistic. Niseko base sports have an adaptive program that has been recommended by friends with ASD kids. We didn’t use this - we were originally heading to niseko last year but changed tack and went to sun peaks last year instead. I have not heard any bad things about their adaptive program.
    When I was looking into it, you were restricted to private lessons for the adaptive program.

14. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for Myoko Snowsports and Myoko in general. Super easy to get around and some remarkably good intermediate skiing. Your kids will love the variety of beginner terrain at Akakura Onsen just behind Red warehouse too.

M_G likes this.
  15. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks Zimboo, Hotsaki, elSpike. We have a son on the spectrum so I think if we can't help you we can certainly point you in the right direction. Myoko would suit really well, particularly staying in Akakura Onsen Village. Myoko Snowsports are great with kids and also work really well with people who have a variety of conditions. You can PM me or drop me an email at bookings@red-warehouse.com

Paradox likes this.
  16. silva

silva One of Us

I would also steer you towards Myoko, Myoko snowsports and Red Warehouse.
    We are headed there in January with Mstr 10 so let me know your dates - we might end up there at the same time. I know Red Warehouse is filling up fast though so you might want to see what dates are available and book around that.