1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Favourite skiing areas in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by KL., Jun 21, 2018.

1. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Have you seen this thread?
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/anyone-stayed-in-aosta-city.80290/

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I'll be in Aosta in early January and my research suggests if you have a car it should be a fine place to spend some time. Milan and Turin are close enough to do an overnighter to and Cham is just up the street. Obviously ski resorts are in big supply within an hours drive.

BoofHead likes this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Where are you guys staying in Aosta?

Dozzi likes this.
  4. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

At a B and B in the town.
    https://la-casa-del-grillo-bed-breakfast.business.site/
    Very reasonably priced and gets good reviews. Apparently run by a lovely Italian family.
    The pedestrianised area of the old town is about 8 minutes walk away and there’s plenty of bars and restaurants close by.
    As mentioned the Roman ruins and castles etc are just there too.
    For us this is our first trip to Europe and is something of a recon mission. I’m not expecting (hoping a bit though) for epic conditions or epic ski days but if we get to slide on some cold white stuff while we sample some of the local hills I’ll be happy.
    Even if we have miserable conditions I’m expecting to be awed by the scenery and the culture of Italy.

Chaeron, BoofHead and CarveMan like this.
  5. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

Yes We are hiring a car in Geneva and then doing a week in Aosta and then a week in Champoluc.
    Le Reve Charmant in the old town area. Thought as we have a car would stay close to restaurants etc

CarveMan likes this.
  6. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

So its been great to hear all of your opinions. We are a pretty fit couple in our 50s who have skied for a long time. We want to ski in Europe next year and priorities are snow and weather reliabilty (don't want to go all that way for no snow and bad weather!) and beautiful scenery, together with the culture. From all of your comments, 3 valleys in France seems to be a good choice, but we are wanting to visit a second country while we are there. Would it be viable to include Zermatt, or St Anton, or alternatively would it be worth visiting a smaller resort in Finland and taking in the Northern Lights? Our trip would be around 14 days - would that be enough to get in say, 8 days skiing?
    Also has anyone tried the Glacier Express - seems to cover Zermatt and either Davos or St Moritz together, seems like a pretty exciting way to see two different resorts?

7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The Glacier Express is awesome. Did it years ago, Zermatt to St Moritz

Bpoos likes this.
  8. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Remember that snow conditions get better with altitude but weather does not.

9. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Yep good point - I thought the 3 valleys might be the best protected from a weather perspective?

10. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Salzburg in Austria would be my choice. Not as high as France but personally I find the scenary and culture better in Austrian resorts than in French ones (most of which are pretty ugly as far as the buildings go) Also you can get one ticket that will cover almost all of the resorts in Salzburgerland and some of Tirol.

Alongside with this if the weather is bad can spend the day in Salzburg checking out the castle, Sound of Music tour and Mozart birthplace etc.

Heinz, Bpoos and Kletterer like this.
  11. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Salzburg, then on to Saalbach Hinterglemm. :thumbs:

Kletterer, skinavy and Bpoos like this.
  12. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve only skied Chamonix, Val D’Isere/Tignes, paradis ski (Les Arcs, La Plagne and a couple of others) and Courmeyer.

I actually like Courmayeur the most, although it doesn’t have the best skiing. It’s a combination of the skiing and the vibe.

13. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If youre getting pssses for season in oz this coming year at Perisher or falls/Hotham, Epic pass will let you line up 7 days free at 3V, then another 5 at LaPlagne and Val D’isere, then another 5 at Verbier. Pretty good deal

Kletterer, person s and Bpoos like this.
  14. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This ^.
    Just to clarify one point when skinavy says Salzburg he means the province ie. Salzburgerland which encompasses many resorts. But you have the city of Salzburg as well with many attractions and you can day trip to a few ski areas from there.
    Tirol also has a range of multi area passes. Similarly Innsbruck is also a nice town and you can easily day trip to several ski areas.
    Both of these include glacier resorts so in worst case of a poor snow year or early or late season these are an option. However glacier resorts are not recommended on poor vis days.
    For a current example of what you might get have a look here: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/austria-2019.84039/

15. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Wow! Those pics on there are amazing!

Kletterer likes this.
  16. Kletterer

Also check out the Austria - Saalbach Hinterglemm , Gerlos, Bad Hofgastein thread from January 2018. There is good reason for it getting over 32 000 views. Gerlos- Konigsleiten is very underated with huge scope for offpiste.

Bpoos likes this.
  17. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

18. Kletterer

19. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Has anyone skiied in Zermatt and St Anton in late February? I understand this is school holiday season in Europe and that the resorts can be very crowded, but I would like some perspective on what 'crowded' means in Europe - Would the lift lines and runs be more/less crowded than in say, Falls Creek in school holidays? Or would they all look like Bourke St at Buller?

20. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

I can't comment on your exact date range but I lived in UK for last ten years and skiied the Alps 2 wks on avg each yr. We always go in Jan to avoid school holidays. The base will be crowded as in 25min line to get first bubble up and they tend to be fully loaded with 8 ppl etc. Once ur up the mountain it's fine as the resorts are so huge. The bottleneck lift to get home at 4pm is similar though, as is any interlinking lifts like cervinia-zermatt , la plange-les arcs, but they won't close on you as long as you are with the crowd.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

Haven't skiied in oz for a long time so can't comment.

Apresski and Bpoos like this.
  21. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have ridden at both in Feb.

To be honest both are justifiably very popular resorts, St Anton can have quite a competitive, competent crowd about it. Certain bottlenecks & key access points can require some jostling & assertive riding.

But they are both vast areas & mostly in Europe you can always find terrain up to or above your challenge level which disperses crowds considerably. Personally, I find the off mountain numbers of people, along with the posing, more of a challenge in places like St Anton, Zermatt etc, but that can also be part of the appeal. The mountains always sort the posers out there.

Heinz and Bpoos like this.
  22. Kletterer

My picks for busy times were- T bar on Kappall, Madloch side of Zurs, Chair at Zuger Hochlicht and Rifflscharte in the afternoon.

Bpoos likes this.
  23. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I have visited Zermatt last week in Feb. The Sunnega lift first thing was busy, but they are Swiss, it's pretty efficient and once you are up the top everyone peels off to their area of choice and it's no busier than a normal Saturday at Falls.

Bpoos likes this.
  24. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

This, which almost looks like an airport check in line, is the base station of the gondola at one of the bigger/more popular stations at the Dolomites at first lift up. That was the 25min wait I was talking about, and getting to this point of the photos we already stood in line for 10mins. This was in Jan. Although I suppose ccable cars is not a fair comparison because of their batch nature. Beyond the glass door at the end is the ppl who are checked in for the next cable car.

But, if you stay somewhere mid mountain, ski in ski out, or at one of the less popular valleys, then the first lift is much much better:

And here's a choke point at around 3-4pm as people flow in to catch the homeward lift - there's 3 diff queues here:

But, when you go up to the glaciers high up, you also get times like this where you have the piste to yourself:

All these were at mid Jan of various years of various resorts.

25. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Go left!

Hyst and Shoey like this.
  26. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Or get early up when in Alba.
    Looks like sleeping to long?!

But the base station has been redesigned with the replaced Ciampac, don't enter the same place anymore!

Shoey likes this.
  27. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Hehe. We stayed at Fassa so normally the hotel drives us to Buffaure which is very okay for thin crowd. But on that day we wanted to see if taking bus to a valley directly on the Sella would give us a boost in being able to spend more time on the far end villages. We totally didn't expect this queue.

28. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Ha, ha in that case get up even earlier. :whistle:
    Last winter chose this to avoid that problem.
    Fantastic location, nice and friendly, good bar, if you do not need nightlife - food plenty but not first class.
    http://www.hotelmeisules.com/it/
    Up in the mountains!

Shoey likes this.