1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question FC - Sidecountry - looking for a partner and/or advice

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Tropical, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

Hi all,

I am heading to FC for my first proper visit to the resort on the week of 8-12 August. I have previously skied there on the last weekend of a very marginal season (2012 I think) - however doing laps on Towers didn't give me a full appreciation of the resort, so I have decided to return.

I am keen to spend some time hitting up some of the Falls Creek Sidecountry (Rocky knolls, dam site and maybe McKay). I have considered the tour with Steve Lee, however my preference is to skin rather than be chauffeured on a snowmobile. I have an AT set up with skins and avi gear etc, and I know how to use it. I have experience touring in Japan and Utah but not in Australia.

I will be with the missus for most of the time, so the the aim is to simply have a few short ascents (on one morning) for the sense of achievement as part of a generally "lift-serviced" holiday.

I have a few questions:
    1. if I am on my own are any of these areas the types of short ascents that I can do on my own and ski back to the resort if the weather turns foul?
    2. which area is the most accessible and which area would you recommend?
    3. is anyone interested in joining me during that week?
    From my limited recollection, Dam site/rocky knolls looked like it would be an area that would be appropriate for this.

If all else fails, I'll consider going with a tour group such as this http://www.fallscreek.com.au/alpinetouringprogram

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

David aka Tropical

2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Laps out to Rocky Knolls from the top of Ruined Castle lift are quite easy. Ski back down to bottom of Ruined Castle (after a short climb over a spur). Up the lift, skate and skin out to Rocky Knolls and repeat.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah.
    The Knolls get well used by the sledded alpiners on a fine day though.
    There are other options.
    I'm happy to take you out for a tour. I don't do big lines.
    PM me a couple of days beforehand if interested.

4. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'll be around all of that week....all of every week in fact. I will probably have a free morning to cut a couple of lines on Rocky Knolls etc if you can keep things flexible as I am not sure what work commitments and weather will be. Let's keep in touch.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, if you're prepared. There are groomed trails out to the McKay/Knolls side that are marked with colour coded poles so bone up on this before you go; it will help if you get socked in by cloud. It's only minutes out of the resort boundary but I call the area on the way the Bermuda triangle and recommend you take a compass at least.

Tropical and skifree like this.
  6. iGlenn

iGlenn Hard Yards

I'm up there that week also and will have my splitboard with me and always looking to do a bit of sidecountry. Limited experience in the FC sidecountry so keen to meet up with others looking to explore.

7. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

Thanks for all of the kind offers. Considering that this last weather system didn't produce the goods and the forecast for next week, I am packing light and have decided to make it an in-bounds only trip.

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

You only need your skins to head side country....and maybe a small pack for a drink and snack. Doesn't need big dumps for a quick skin out to be attractive. I am of the mind that out of bounds always offer something on to of the in bounds.