1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion FCRM - Getting value for money....

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Hully, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes some of it takes knowledge and that knowledge is increasingly easy to get, from forums, the resort websites and the like.

I took your point to be that the high cost is a disincentive. Your list of costs is over the top IME. You don't need to spend $600 on food or a grand on accommodation eg. If a first-timer family takes the easy way out by signing up for a package they can't complain about paying the premium that accompanies it.

As for bad weather, yeah that's frustrating as hell but it applies to any holiday or outdoor activities trip.

Kadelaide likes this.
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

no one ever complains about not getting a refund when it rains in noosa or the surf is crap. why do they think they should get a refund if conditions are bad in the snow?

sbt99, wannaski, Kadelaide and 2 others like this.
  3. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Yes that's True re knowledge, but many first timers would struggle.

Accom prices - I looked at Mt Hotham Alpine Haven 1 bed apartment 4 share, high season for a Fri/Sat night you have to enquire for a price. Their Sun-Thurs price is $454/night so for a Fri/Sat night it will be much more so $1k is probably not enough. I reckon about $1200- $1400 for accomm alone

So then I looked at a Lodge - Mt Hotham Karnalurra, 4 share bunk room no ensuite, high season for a Fri/Sat, $247 p/person (no child rate) = $988

So again $1k is about right - yes there are cheaper options and there are more exxy ones

$600 on food, well assume that they eat out both nights, because its a holiday, it will add up very quickly, and if they didn't shop at an off mountain supermarket on the way up (because they didn't know to do that) then they be paying about $100 per shopping bag out the door at the on-mountain supermarket, and about $65 a slab because Dad's gonna need that !

Bad weather - yes its a PITA and you get that anywhere. But...if you are at the beach you haven't paid $110 per person/day for a Beach Access Pass to not then use it because its raining. And there will be other things to do in the rain, wineries, cinema, cheaper food options, wineries, shopping, etc etc and wineries. If the resorts are genuinely trying to grow the ski industry, then they need to accept they are charging a premium $ for a less than premium product. Maybe if its raining, then offer the customer a credit for that day/s. "Yes sorry sir, I understand that its your first snow holiday, yes the weather can sometimes be very unkind. How about we offer you a credit on all your lift tickets, you can use them this year, or please come back next year and we will try and organise better weather (big customer friendly smile), oh and here is a complimentary 2 hour massage at the day spa for your lovely wife" (now this happens all the time - in never never land)

If this happened, then that customer would be back again, would spend on accommodation again, more food spending etc etc. And the bigger benefit is that they will rave about said resort to all their friends, who will then also come and visit. So you have created a group of loyal visitors to said resort.

4. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

But...if you are at the beach you haven't paid $110 per person/day for a Beach Access Pass to not then use it because its raining or the surf is crap, so then they go and do other activities as already mentioned.

5. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Don't get me wrong, I love the mountains and I ski (never very well :( and not so much over last couple of years due to injury) and so do all my 4 kids. If I wasn't local and knew how to access good cheap hardware/clothing then I doubt I would still be sking

6. Ziggy

I would like to see an extension of lift ticket options that would make bad weather or wind-holds more palatable. So for the hypothetical first timers there might be a 2 days out of 3 pass that wasn't dated so that if it was really crap it could be used on a later long weekend. (I gather that the 5 of 7 has been reintroduced).
    It really used to pee me off to have eg. made the effort to get to Hotham to find that the Drift and Orchard were closed due to wind or poor vis - the places where I prefer to ski (after having gone through the Slalom Gully gauntlet!). At a minimum there should be a discount on the day ticket when a large chunk of piste has been ruled out.
    In any case, I'm a XC skier basically and always have options when the weather is bad. Maybe making that easier to get into when downhill is stymied is another option for resort marketers to consider.

7. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Then don't buy your tickets in advance, wait to see what the conditions are like on the day
    If the tickets are more expensive that way, so be it!
    When you buy the packages you are gambling on the conditions, just don't complain when your bet goes wrong!

8. Ziggy

When you're up there for a weekend only and have committed to ski with grommets in tow (organised hire gear etc) it's an unnecessarily high risk at the mo. This is asking for an extension of variable pass pricing that already exists.
    These days for myself I can afford and benefit from a Hero Pass so am in a different category from the one FlatLander's talking about.

9. rdk

rdk Hard Yards

10. Hully

Hully One of Us

I hardly rate the Marketing team's performance by a webpage layout that (most likely) a consultant has put together for them. Might look good to your eyes but is only as good as the info it contains and if you review comments on other topics in this forum you would find that the FCRM report has been comprehensively sh**canned throughout this season for inaccurate information, untimely updates and bugs. I also understand from business owners up at Falls that bookings and enquiries plummeted following the cutover to the new FCRM website.
    With it being 2015, I find that I mostly use the FCSL app which from one application in the morning I can quickly get a conditions summary (which is typically the first to feed through the update), an accurate up to date summary of lift status, quickly check key snowcams for a visual indication of current conditions and get a summary of overnight grooming and snowmaking by run.
    A typical measure of FCRM digital marketing performance was this weekend where there were zero up dates on the FCRM Instagram account and the only update on the FCRM Facebook page was a token 'share' of one of the FCSL posts on Saturday morning. I understand that FCRM marketing works 'business hours', a term used by FCRM for the past 2 winters and astounds me when they are involved in a winter 7 day a week tourist industry with a strong weekend visitor focus, but digital updates can be done remotely and images can be taken on anyone's smartphone. It to me is a strong indication of the Marketing Team's commitment to Falls Creek.

#60 Hully, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    BilbyBill likes this.
  11. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

It's cost mainly and mainly what people [ and I'm people too] think is the total rip-off cost of resort entry, but also it is the very limited non-ski things to do especially after dark and if you don't or no longer drink to excess.
    Very high rents and the short season also put up the costs and I would love to have a hot pie and do-nut cart parked at Turnback during the season as one of the main complaints I personally hear from people is the lack of places to get simple lunches and snacks at a reasonable price but you can charge more for a meal that has a fancy name. I had a goulash pie last season; I'm never buying one again as all I got was some red gravy with some diced potato in it, not what I expected at all and there are many like me out there.
    I'm one of those who think the ski business hours are 24/7; has anyone ever tried calling to ask for help or advice after 5PM or before 0700

12. currawong

I'm surprised that you see a market for fast food at Turnback. Most people IMHO would not want to stop at that point of the journey

In my experience many people do not look at the options that are available to them, eg
    • The doughnuts at Slalom plaza are not that expensive and delicious when I've tried them.
    • Windy Corner or the supermarket have simple snacks and lunches (pies, sausage rolls) at ok prices.
    • The Pass has a good reputation for fast food at ok prices
    • I don't know much about the snack caravan at oversnow, but I suspect that prices for simple stuff would not be too OTT
    • Husky, Elk and Gateway have some very nice sub $20 offerings if you want something a bit better
    As for stuff to do at night - that's a hard one. FCRM would say that they can only encourage businesses to offer things, that it isn't really within their responsibilities. Maybe they should do more, but it's hard to know what to suggest

Pademelon likes this.
  13. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tend to agree with Moondog regarding resort entry. IMO main car park and facilities are ordinary and overcrowded to say the least. I only use the lower car park where things are fine, but for the majority it's a pretty shitty deal.

14. currawong

I'm not defending the entry cost, but it has sfa to do with cost of parking. It's like your local council. Set the budget then divide the revenue burden amongst the rate payers. The entry fees are whatever is needed to meet the budget, allowing for other income such as rates.
    @Hully 's OP was asking what services should be cut to allow a lower resort entry fee.

Site owners are already paying a lot, you can't just shift the burden there. What should be cut from the budget? I can think of a lot of extra things I'd like them to do, or do better, but not too many things that should be cut.

At one stage there was a proposal to charge for village shuttle. I'd be happy with that if it meant a better service, but it would be unpopular with many.
    I've heard people say that there are more patrollers than at other resorts, or that at Buller that service is provided by the lift co. OTOH I'd be concerned if the quality and responsiveness of ski patrol was cut
    It's easy to say that there is too much environmental BS, but most of that is probably mandated by parks, depi or whatever they are called this week

#64 currawong, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  15. Pink

Pink One of Us

Handing resort management over to the local shires sounds like a great idea to me. The resorts bring in a lot of money and employment to the local economy, and provide recreational facilities that are popular with locals, so the shires have a strong vested interest in keeping the resorts viable.

Would another possibility be, I don't know if this has previously been discussed, to hand management over to Parks Victoria? The future of the resorts surely should be to develop and promote them as access points to the wonderful surrounding national parks.

16. Charlie

Aaaarrrggghhh, Parks Vic would just turn the mountains into National Parks, that no-one can even enter!

17. currawong

Parks raison d'etre and attitude are not consistent with running ski resorts. And absolutely no reason to suspect they would be any more efficient

Pink likes this.
  18. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

It's kind of ironic.... in Tahoe the high season is in Summer and low season is the ski season. If what I'm hearing is right, that's pretty much what is mirrored here.

19. Pink

Pink One of Us

Parks Vic manage more than just national parks, and their mission includes making parks accessible to all, so I don't understand the concern that they'd restrict entry to everyone. I'd say the resorts are too trashed to ever be promoted to national park status anyway.

20. Charlie

Maybe, but I bet they'd love to try to return them to wilderness!

Pink likes this.
  21. currawong

High season at falls creek is definitely winter.
    Fcrm and some others are working on increasing summer visitation to falls creek but it is still very quiet except for a few days. Even if you add in all visitors to the high plains who don't use any facilities at falls creek it is still very quiet.
    In mt beauty, Xmas/early Jan and Easter are busiest, then winter.

Australians flock to the coast in summer mainly. Only a (growing?) minority appreciate the delights of the mountains in summer

22. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Want to get more summer visitors? Bring back the 100kph speed limit, improve the fishing [ but that is not going to happen as it's always somebody elses problem] put in more public toilets and BBQ shelters near the lake but just get more people to come and use the place
    Resort entry and parking cost is the biggest visitor killer IMO and is hugely profitable which is why I have never and will never pay it preferring to walk up that last 3 klicks

23. towie81

towie81 Hard Yards

Have been skiing Falls with friends since the late 1970's and have own accommodation down the hill but have had many friends drop off skiing in the past ten years because of the costs involved. The resort entry fee blows visitors minds at the start of their skiing holiday. I have been amazed at the number of beginner skiers I have seen in Japan over the last few years. People are preferring to pay big money for an overseas ski experience rather than feeling ripped off here.

24. currawong

Lots of people drive through in summer, few stop, fewer stay overnight.
    Improving the lakeside facilities will help, and might even happen now that the land has been moved from parks to the resort.

There is a real problem with not enough places to eat at night in summer. Businesses won't open because there are not enough customers. Customers won't stay (partly) because there it's nowhere to eat.

They also needed to be a bit more friendly to campervans. That goes for the whole of alpine shire too. They may not be the biggest spenders per night, but they do spend some money - food, drinks, the occasional night out or special activity.

Anyway this is only marginally relevant to the OP. Summer visitation will help the resort but not necessarily lower FCRM costs or increase its revenue. Initiatives to increase visitation in summer are seen by some as a waste of money that should be kept for winter.

25. Pink

Pink One of Us

I go the mountains for the wilderness but yeh, Parks Vic is probably not a great idea. Decentralization of power usually achieves the best outcomes. Rather local government management than remaining with the state government.

26. skivet

skivet Addicted

Towie81 I think you will find all us skiers that are a flight away from Falls that it actually cheaper to ski in Japan than Falls for anything 7 days or more, did the sums from Gold Coast and it was $1000 cheaper to ski in Japan for 7 nights than Falls using comparable accom.

towie81 and Pademelon like this.
  27. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

I have looked at skiing overseas and when the kids are older might do that but we love skiing at Falls . We save 50% on all accommodation and skiing by going in first week of low season - resort entry is now half price and they have the ski 5 out of 7 days or 6 out of 8 for example so that leaves room if you have a wind hold day . If it rains we put wet weather gear on and ski and have a fun time while we're doing it . We have days when it's nice and sunny and days when it snows . I don't actually think the supermarket up at falls is that expensive for most things . Sure fruit and veg are more expensive because they don't have such a long shelf life . Meat I think is pretty reasonable , we use to bring all of our food cooked up in esky but honestly it's not worth the trouble for us . We do a shop down in the valley to support local business rather than cart all the way from home There are a lot of People like me that visit from SA at this time of year . There are also a lot though that think the ski season finishes end of August . Can't tell you how many people I have told that I am going to the snow and their comment back is " there's no snow now is there? The snow seasons over ! Winters finished ! "
    Even the first timers that are coming over with us Friday kept getting told by other friends that we are going too late - snow seasons over ! To me it's not over till the lifts are closed . People sit on the beach and look at the sunset . I look out from my balcony overlooking the snow capped mountains and sunset or walk through the village roads at night as its so beautiful . I am a little sad that they cleared the roads already but hey that's the way it goes . It annoys me when people say there is nothing to do at falls if the weathers bad . If you like "perfect " weather go to Hawaii . This is the Alps for crying out loud and as I say to people it's like a different world and is just magnificent . I know people that go off the mountain for the day and go sightseeing / wine tasting etc as its a nice drive .

Apresski, Pademelon, skivet and 4 others like this.
  28. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

so those that don't pay resort entry obviously wont require ski patrol to assist them or their family and friends if they are injured

Pademelon and stansi like this.
  29. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

I am not completely supportive of the RMB model:-
    • could they cut costs, yes most definitely
    • could they improve services to the customer, yes in some areas
    but, what services do you want to do away with to reduce costs of Resort Entry. The idea is that Resort Entry is levied against every person entering the resort for use of services provided during winter. It doesn't matter whether you use them or not, all visitors pay equal share.

The easiest way to enforce the levy is on cars entering the resort, based on approximately 3.1 occupants per vehicle. Therefore $45per car per day = $14.50 per person per day for winter services.
    The fact remains that these services have to be paid for in some way shape or form! The resort entry is such a small % component of the ski holiday that it in itself is not a disincentive to visitors. Most probably its the way its collected, so visitors feel its just a money grab, so I have put forward some solutions below.

Option A: So lets add $14.50 to the day lift ticket price..but approx. 20% of visitors entering the resort don't ski, therefore they are not contributing through lift ticket sales. So the $14.50 x 1.2 (compensating for nonskiers) = $17.40. Therefore the day lift ticket in Vic has just gone from $112 to $129.40, lets just round up to $130. OK that's not pretty lets scrap that model.

Option B: everyone sleeps in a bed so lets tax the beds, add $14.50 to every bed booked out. Now child rates go up quite a bit and everyone complains that accom is too expensive.

Option C: Resort tax of say 10% on every purchase in the resort. Would this be enough to cover the cost of services, maybe not. But is does certainly add to the perception that everything is expensive in the resorts, so a turnoff for returning and new visitors. PLus every business becomes a tax collector for the resort.

As I said earlier, could RMB costs be reduced most definitely. Most people complain about REsort Entry because they see it as a parking fee and a money grab, plus the fact that its paying for the less glamorous and behind the scenes winter services, which most people think they could do without - until they step on a bus, call ski patrol, strap on their xc skis etc etc.

Pademelon and currawong like this.
  30. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Resort entry for Lake Mountain this year was $54.50 per car. People complain. I ask them what it costs to take the family to the footy or the movies. They think it should be cheaper when the snow's got good. I explain that it costs a lot of money to make the snow that's in the snow play areas. I then explain what they get for their money - snow-making, ski patrol, grooming, road clearing, rubbish removal, power generation (not connected to the mains), toilets, signage and a host of other things. And LM has no other source of income like the major resorts, other than their profits on food, ski hire and retail. The customers then seem to accept the cost, if somewhat begrudgingly. Now I know the majors don't make the snow as that's the job of the lift companies, I assume.

31. Ziggy

A friend took up a cheap summer accommodation offer at Falls. Prepared to stay for a few days, eat out, enjoy the views over coffee and so on.
    What she got was a bed in a claustrophobic bunk room, few dining options, views blocked from many points in the 'village' and no social life to speak of. The pistes looked like ugly scars to her.
    She wouldn't go back.
    The place is set up to rest and refuel skiers in the winter. Space is at a premium so bedrooms are small. It doesn't translate well to summer use.

32. currawong

true of many lodges. OTOH there are some people who love staying there in summer, even in the face of the lack of dining options. not everyone hates the pistes. the scars from the hydro are probably less pretty in many eyes

I agree that the small rooms make it hard to compete in some sectors of the market. There are non bunk room options available, but most rooms are certainly small. I'm amazed that the master plan contemplated attracting the gourmet market in summer. small rooms and not much in the way of unique regional produce - hardly a recipe for success in that sector

33. Ziggy

Maybe some 'extreme dining' might be attractive ;). Double damask and silver atop Ruined Castle. Champagne on the chair up. Two-up paraglides back to the village.

34. Hully

Hully One of Us

I am not suggesting that Resort Entry could, or should, go. I think that it is a 'visual' unpopular cost to a visit to our ski resorts, but they are also a necessary way of raising the needed revenue to run the resort services and amenities, the same as parking fees in cities and at beaches. The problem is that they just go up every year at well over CPI, are justified by Ski Patrol.......and other services. What they don't say when justifying Resort Entry with Ski Patrol is that probably the Executive salaries would total more than the total Ski Patrol wages bill for a season.

I am, however, of a strong opinion that the RMB is an expensive unaccountable bureaucracy.

As stated, one option is to get rid of them and incorporate into local Government Shires. Resort Entry would most likely stay in some form (parking fees?) but initial significant savings could be reflected in reduced costs to visitors. As for tourism promotion, the vast majority of winter visitors are attracted by Ski Lifts services and advertising, this wouldn't stop, and Alpine Shire attract a huge number of visitors to the region during green season and them including the Alpine Resorts in their offering would benefit the resorts.

FlatLander likes this.
  35. Ziggy

I believe NZ resorts don't charge entry fees, at least the two I've been to didn't. So they are funding necessary services in another way.

Agree that it's an irritant, esp. when you're starting out skiing or boarding and your first encounter with the resort is a demand for money. At the control box at Falls at least I don't recall a big notice saying 'Your fees at work ....'. That's bad PR.

As for efficiencies on the mountain, I'd expect that an organisation consultant's first question would be 'Why two businesses up here?' given all the duplication that brings - accounting, reporting, marketing, and command and control structures.

FlatLander likes this.
  36. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Exactly Hully and that's the word I was looking for, Resort Entry is "Visually" unpopular as its seen as a money grab, and most first timers are not prepared for it.

RMB - yes

Local shires, there is a lot of merit here, reality is that costs will continue to rise well above CPI, exactly as your rates do in the Alpine Shire every year.

37. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Ziggy I understand where you are coming from, although they are not 2 "businesses". One is a public company that runs a "theme" park and is profit driven, and the other is the local shire council that needs to provide all the municipal services.

currawong and Hully like this.
  38. Snorkler

Gate Entry is just as an unfair system as all the other options. If you're coming up by yourself, you're taking on a massive cost.

If a shire ran the area, it could then levy the rates on local accommodation options and possibly introduce camping fees as well to reduce. There will always be a few people who can get around it, then again is it right to punish a few people to ensure that everyone at least pays something? That's the current ethos that pervades Gate Entry.

39. currawong

that doesn't catch day trippers at all - a significant number of visitors and a significant driver of costs.

40. currawong

and there are many other businesses (and other stakeholders) in the resort, often competing with the lift co. fcrm is supposed to balance the interests of all of them - and the interests of their bureaucratic and political masters

FlatLander likes this.
  41. Hully

Hully One of Us

Day Resort Entry is half price of you're by yourself. RMB does levy accommodation with lease fees and bed taxes. Don't get me wrong, money would still need to be collected.
    My position is that a lot of this money goes to funding a board and executive (for $11M turnover), an over resourced unaccountable Marketing department and sideshows that have no relevance to skiing/boarding.
    Things I would do:
    - put a stop to underwriting sideshows...sled dogs (make competitors pay their way like all other snow sports enthusiasts), weekly marshmallow toasting festival (in a normal town this would be a Chamber of Commerce responsibility) etc
    - no more CEO big idea gimmicks...amphibious taxi, segways etc
    - review cost benefits of Ski Patrol sitting with Ski Lifts as it does in most other resorts (Ski Lifts already contributes a few hundred thousand to the provision of Ski Patrol)

- move general township service provision to local Shire
    - thus RMB beauracrats no longer needed.

42. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

What? Double the current bed tax?
    The fact is that the current resort entry is far too high for most people to accept easily and there are very few facilities provided for the day trippers to see any value in it
    What rankles me the most personally is the resort entry fee attached to the bus fare when I'm up there purely to access the back county and is why I always hitch up and walk thru the gate

43. Hully

Hully One of Us

Need to catch day trippers, however, I would suggest that day trippers are contributing beyond the cost of servicing them.

gettingtooold likes this.
  44. Hully

Hully One of Us

Apart from using a car park space, people arriving by bus use just as much of the services/amenities as equivalent people arriving in their own car.
    Plenty of ways to access backcountry without paying, and you're utilising one of them.

45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A couple of quick points based on ~ 30 yrs of summer obs:

Esp. At Xmas/NY, Easter & long weekends - I'd like the food retailers to open for block of days (rather than tick tack), & advertise clearly beforehand - rather than leave guests to wander around lost looking for the open sign swinging in the breeze!

It would be nice if some tables are available for turn-up guests rather purely bookings.

And with all the new mtn bike trails being cut ($ spent by resort & state govts), it would be great if FCSL supported summer recreation by actually opening more than 5-6 days per year. Their current opening regime tells me they're not interested. Use the Buller model (open most summer weekends plus pub hols,!)

In fact, it should be a condition on the Contract with the resort for lifts to open > x days per summer.

Sounds tough but you cant have a key stakeholder arbitrarally shutting shop 8 months a year. Wouldn't happen in Whistler, Aspen, Most of Europe, Cardrona (new trails) & not Thredbo. But in Vic we allow lift companies to dictate summer openings (to almost zipp!). Hello whats wrong with people that cant see this!

And finally Falls should push harder for funding and build the public pool (yes think Thedders again!). If they cant double family nos. over Xmas / Sch hols I'll go hee!

46. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

absolutely Currawong sorry I didn't refer to all the other stakeholders as we were talking about RMB. And would not be a good option letting Lift co run the "resort" and marketing, they would grind all the little players into the ground :(

47. Snorkler

I think I agree with making Ski Patrol an LC responsibility to provide. OS they manage pro and volunteer together still.

If you want to know what the execs and Board members get, can easily look it up. probably best if you represent it as a proportion of revenues.

48. currawong

Basically agree but I think it is wrong that there is no parking are outside the resort for people wanting to use only the national park

49. currawong

all good points.

I do sympathise with owners of food businesses who don't want to open unless they can cover costs (and insisting on bookings is part of that). I see it as a challenge for FCRM to find adequate incentives to make it viable for at least 3 places to be open every night.

the other weird twist on summer eating is that some places open during the week for workers staying on the hill, but close on weekends when tourists are more likely to be around

50. currawong

probably so. maybe time to load the overnight price a bit more compared to day price. but have to keep in mind that all overnight stayers are already being pinged via the rates/bed tax