1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

FCRM Wants to Clear the Roads

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ausi ski bum, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

A meeting of Stakeholders is being held on Monday 11 August to discuss the permanent clearing of the roads in Falls Creek.

For some reason Falls Creek Resort Management are determined to totally stuff the best feature of the mountain, its snow covered roads.

Everyone that loves the fact Falls Creek is ski in ski out needs to contact FCRM and let them know its just not on.

Personally if they cleared the roads I would nt bother skiing there at all, its just plain stupid and the only reason to consider this is the revenue they would make from developments that could occur as a result.

It was bad enough FCRM sold the car park for saint Falls (leading to the day park being full on Sunday) and now they want this.

We say, no way. fcrm@fallscreek.com.au

Subject: Review of Village Access and Transport

Dear All,

As advised in previous communications, a review of village access and transport at Falls Creek will be conducted this winter. We have appointed a consultant, Sinclair Knight Mertz (SKM), to assist with this project. The consultants will be visiting Falls Creek over this coming weekend and early next week and we propose to conduct two stakeholder meetings next Monday 11 August to gather stakeholder views and ideas. All stakeholders are cordially invited to attend one of these meetings.

The meetings will be held at Winterhaven on Monday 11 August. The first meeting will run from 9:30 to 11:30 AM and second meeting from 2:00PM until 4:00PM.

Please indicate by return email whether you are able to attend one of these meetings, and if so, whether you will attend the morning or afternoon session. To assist with set up and catering ( we will provide a cup of tea and a biscuit) we would appreciate your response by noon on this Friday 8 August.

For those unable to attend the meeting and who would like to offer comment on village access and transport, we would welcome your written comment to this email address by cob of business on Friday 15 August.

The objectives for this project are to determine a viable strategy that will deliver overall best village access and transport outcomes for guests and the operation of the resort. As you are all aware, while a ski-in, ski -out village under snow offers competitive advantages to Falls Creek, it is not without its disadvantages. The key disadvantage of the village under snow is the logistics associated with the transfer of guests to and from their accommodation, especially at peak times. The time to transfer guests, the cost to guests of the service, and the current quality of especially the over snow vehicle fleet is not consistent with contemporary guest needs. In addition to guest transfer, a number of other issues affect the guest experience plus the safe and effective operation of the resort. These include freight handling, the noise and odour pollution effects of snow mobile traffic, and the potential safety aspects of skier/over snow vehicle interaction.

We have identified a number of issues as follows that we will seek to address in this project :

§ The current operation of Falls Creek Oversnow (FCOS), including:

o Vehicle fleet size and quality

o FCOS terminal amenity and operation

o Waiting times for guests, especially during peak periods

o The costs to provide the service

§ The current and potential duration during the snow season of village operation with adequate snow on the village roads to safely maintain a ski in ski out operation and the effect of variability of same on FCOS costs

§ The effectiveness of the current operation of the village when the roads are clear of snow and guests are able to temporarily access the village to deliver and collect passengers and luggage

o Ease of pedestrian access with cleared roads compared with the benefits to skiers of ski in ski out with snow on the roads

§ The operation of the village shuttle, and the service(s) it provides including current and potential future demands on village shuttle services

§ Access arrangements to the village when not under snow for guests arriving by bus

§ The importance to future investors of being able to offer winter access to off street, and especially underground parking, in the village for future development

§ The operation of a significant fleet of snow mobiles traversing village roads, especially speed, noise, and odour pollution aspects.

§ Whether the costs to provide a contemporary, quality over snow passenger and luggage service are able to reconciled with guests’ capacity/willingness to pay.

§ The specific and overall advantages and disadvantages of:

o Maintaining a ski in ski out village

o Partially clearing the village roads

o Maintaining the village roads clear of snow through out the snow season while still operating a village generally closed to traffic

§ The opportunity to develop ski ways or other that would still effectively enable Falls Creek to be regarded as a ski in ski out village while maintaining cleared roads

§ The importance to guests of ski in ski out versus the provision of good pedestrian access throughout the village supplemented by an effective village shuttle service.

§ The ability to acceptably manage the risks associated with (often inexperienced) skiers sharing roadways with snowcats, snow mobiles, and pedestrians

§ Management and handling of freight within the village, including:

o Receipt arrangements in the area of the goods shed and by FCOS

o Storage, including the operation and viability of the goods shed plus FCOS arrangements

o Delivery, including the range and acceptability of the various goods transport vehicles used by stakeholders and FCOS

§ Development of improved pedestrian (vertical and horizontal) access throughout village to reduce reliance on vehicular access and improve overall village amenity.

§ Cost models for considered options, including direct charging guests as per the current arrangements, inclusion of the costs for an over snow service into service charges, resort entry or other, or other.

The outputs we are seeking from this project include:

A strategy that addresses the key issues raised, considers and evaluates options, and includes recommendations and time lines to deliver against those recommendations.
    A delivery strategy to implement the nominated recommendations
    A costed action plan
    Quantified economic, operational, amenity and any other benefits that would accrue from the implementation of the recommendations
    The input of Falls Creek Stakeholders is important to the success of this project and we welcome your thoughts, ideas, and general feedback. We separately propose to survey resort guests to gain their views.

Regards,

Falls Creek Resort Management

PO Box 50

Falls Creek 3699

Ph: 03 5758 3224 Fax: 5758 3415

fcrm@fallscreek.com.au

http://www.fallscreek.com.au

#1 ausi ski bum, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter

Price you pay for failing to fix the crappy oversnow I feel, THE biggest blight on Falls Creek bar none.

3. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

Whilst I can see your point last time I was there I thought the oversnow held everybody hostage and the cost was outrageous. This is what happens when you overprice and under deliver.

4. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

This in not about OS thats a seperate issue, as bad as people may believe OS is the alternative is far worse, bitumen roads.

5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Everyone agrees that the appalling oversnow is by far the biggest problem with Falls Creek. (Now that half the dodgy RMB has been sacked and the other half appear to be actually doing some work.) The oversnow certainly tends to put me off!

But that's what happens when you have a monopoly service with the highest bidder winning the contract.

There should either be two oversnow companies operating out of adjacent terminals, or if that isn't practical, then the contract should be performance based with a mandated lower price AND random anonymous checks to ensure adequate service delivery.

Agreed, clearing the town roads is just nuts! [​IMG] Why get rid of the ski-in, ski-out benefit and the picturesque nature of the town in winter. These are two of Falls Creek`s biggest selling points.

#5 Bogong, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'll put $20 on that if they clear the roads you will still ski there.

Seriously though, what's the alternative? The only thing steep about FC are the roads, and even if they are cleared, during snowfalls etc they are slippery as, and very narrow.

Are they proposing that guests can drive to their lodges? That would be carnage on narrow slippery roads, and a prang on a key corner, like outside The Hub, would lock down the Village.

I'm anti the oversnow, but I don't see a credible alternative. Buller allows private 4WD traffic, but the roads are a lot wider, and apart from the Summit Road, less steep.

7. CarveMan

Plus, having ski-in-ski-out can actually help avoid the oversnow. Last year I had the oversnow already paid for, but I wanted a quick exit and it was much easier to ski down to the car with my bag over my shoulder than wait the 1+ hours for the OS.

8. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I would like to see a hybrid solution such as Falls Creek road having a tunnel its entire length with cars allowed under and skiers on top with a single route up the top of town and alternate ways down for the skiers.

Oversnow has its issues but deal with them rather than clear the roads.

9. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Just build a nice gondola to the Bowl and one to Schuss Street

10. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

When the snow is poor and people are allowed to drive to their accommodation to unload there never appear to be any problems. I am more concerned with the loss of one of the major charms of Falls Creek, the possibility of ski in/ski out from most accommodation on the mountain.
    I don't want to get into a Falls v Buller debate, but one of the main attractions of Falls, while my children were growing up, was the relative safety of Falls Creek. No fear of them inadvertently wandering down a black run by mistake, as the whole of the Sun Valley area gets progressively steeper.
    There was a plan to build a gondola to replace the Gully Chair when the lift company had major plans for the Bowl area. The gondola was supposed to dock into a mid station in a new building in the Bowl that would have shops, restaurants and a hotel and then continue up either the summit or Eagle, I can't recall. I still think the Oversnow is more convenient for families who tend to haul rather a lot of stuff up the hill, perhaps the licence needs to be more specific in its' requirements. For too many years we have allowed them to take us for a ride (excuse the pun). the service is often poor and always over-priced.

11. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

This is almost a case study in why monopolies (e.g. a 10 x 5 year Oversnow contract) leads to inferior overpriced services and how unelected resort management boards are systemically unrepresentative and accountable solely to the Minister (gavin.jennings@parliament.vic.gov.au) responsible for appointing them.

Meetings at short notice next Monday morning and afternoon mean that many 'stakeholders' may not be in Falls Creek at the appointed times and if they were, they would probably prefer to be out on the hill. The solution to the oversnow debacle at Falls Creek is service competition. The solution to the resort management boards is their abolition and the incorporation of the alpine resorts into their adjacent local government areas.

12. Hunter

Keep the roads covered and provide a proper service with troop carriers with tank tracks, this would amount to a similar situation as Buller which works very efficiently.

Only other option is cleared roads and still have an oversnow with traditional troppies the same as Buller.

Having wallies driving their own cars on those roads is just not an option.

13. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I think it's crap if they clear the roads...they will loose much of what people go there for in the first place.

14. Stratus

Stratus A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Clearing the roads would be a very big mistake.

Ski in Ski out is what makes Falls Creek different from others.

It would be a big mistake.

15. Hunter

Trouble is they are already losing people because of the roads being covered > requiring the crappy oversnow system.

All and sundry have called for action regarding OS for years at least this is some action, yes ?

#15 Hunter, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Crystal

But..............will clearing the raods remove the need for the OS system...??? i think not. They will just use tyres instead. I think they will not open the roads up to the general public. Now THAT would stop me skiing there.

17. CarveMan

That's my thought Crystal - even if it's ploughed it would still need to run some kind of oversnow service, unless they decided to open it up completely, which would create an absolute shitfight. The village hasn't been set up for traffic - the roads are too narrow to have 2 way traffic, plus pedestrians, plus somewhere for the snow to be ploughed to.

18. Hunter

#18 Hunter, Aug 6, 2008
  19. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I added this to the first post but incase you missed it

Subject: Review of Village Access and Transport

Dear All,

As advised in previous communications, a review of village access and transport at Falls Creek will be conducted this winter. We have appointed a consultant, Sinclair Knight Mertz (SKM), to assist with this project. The consultants will be visiting Falls Creek over this coming weekend and early next week and we propose to conduct two stakeholder meetings next Monday 11 August to gather stakeholder views and ideas. All stakeholders are cordially invited to attend one of these meetings.

The meetings will be held at Winterhaven on Monday 11 August. The first meeting will run from 9:30 to 11:30 AM and second meeting from 2:00PM until 4:00PM.

Please indicate by return email whether you are able to attend one of these meetings, and if so, whether you will attend the morning or afternoon session. To assist with set up and catering ( we will provide a cup of tea and a biscuit) we would appreciate your response by noon on this Friday 8 August.

For those unable to attend the meeting and who would like to offer comment on village access and transport, we would welcome your written comment to this email address by cob of business on Friday 15 August.

The objectives for this project are to determine a viable strategy that will deliver overall best village access and transport outcomes for guests and the operation of the resort. As you are all aware, while a ski-in, ski -out village under snow offers competitive advantages to Falls Creek, it is not without its disadvantages. The key disadvantage of the village under snow is the logistics associated with the transfer of guests to and from their accommodation, especially at peak times. The time to transfer guests, the cost to guests of the service, and the current quality of especially the over snow vehicle fleet is not consistent with contemporary guest needs. In addition to guest transfer, a number of other issues affect the guest experience plus the safe and effective operation of the resort. These include freight handling, the noise and odour pollution effects of snow mobile traffic, and the potential safety aspects of skier/over snow vehicle interaction.

We have identified a number of issues as follows that we will seek to address in this project :

§ The current operation of Falls Creek Oversnow (FCOS), including:

o Vehicle fleet size and quality

o FCOS terminal amenity and operation

o Waiting times for guests, especially during peak periods

o The costs to provide the service

§ The current and potential duration during the snow season of village operation with adequate snow on the village roads to safely maintain a ski in ski out operation and the effect of variability of same on FCOS costs

§ The effectiveness of the current operation of the village when the roads are clear of snow and guests are able to temporarily access the village to deliver and collect passengers and luggage

o Ease of pedestrian access with cleared roads compared with the benefits to skiers of ski in ski out with snow on the roads

§ The operation of the village shuttle, and the service(s) it provides including current and potential future demands on village shuttle services

§ Access arrangements to the village when not under snow for guests arriving by bus

§ The importance to future investors of being able to offer winter access to off street, and especially underground parking, in the village for future development

§ The operation of a significant fleet of snow mobiles traversing village roads, especially speed, noise, and odour pollution aspects.

§ Whether the costs to provide a contemporary, quality over snow passenger and luggage service are able to reconciled with guests’ capacity/willingness to pay.

§ The specific and overall advantages and disadvantages of:

o Maintaining a ski in ski out village

o Partially clearing the village roads

o Maintaining the village roads clear of snow through out the snow season while still operating a village generally closed to traffic

§ The opportunity to develop ski ways or other that would still effectively enable Falls Creek to be regarded as a ski in ski out village while maintaining cleared roads

§ The importance to guests of ski in ski out versus the provision of good pedestrian access throughout the village supplemented by an effective village shuttle service.

§ The ability to acceptably manage the risks associated with (often inexperienced) skiers sharing roadways with snowcats, snow mobiles, and pedestrians

§ Management and handling of freight within the village, including:

o Receipt arrangements in the area of the goods shed and by FCOS

o Storage, including the operation and viability of the goods shed plus FCOS arrangements

o Delivery, including the range and acceptability of the various goods transport vehicles used by stakeholders and FCOS

§ Development of improved pedestrian (vertical and horizontal) access throughout village to reduce reliance on vehicular access and improve overall village amenity.

§ Cost models for considered options, including direct charging guests as per the current arrangements, inclusion of the costs for an over snow service into service charges, resort entry or other, or other.

The outputs we are seeking from this project include:

A strategy that addresses the key issues raised, considers and evaluates options, and includes recommendations and time lines to deliver against those recommendations.
    A delivery strategy to implement the nominated recommendations
    A costed action plan
    Quantified economic, operational, amenity and any other benefits that would accrue from the implementation of the recommendations
    The input of Falls Creek Stakeholders is important to the success of this project and we welcome your thoughts, ideas, and general feedback. We separately propose to survey resort guests to gain their views.

Regards,

Falls Creek Resort Management

PO Box 50

Falls Creek 3699

Ph: 03 5758 3224 Fax: 5758 3415

fcrm@fallscreek.com.au

http://www.fallscreek.com.au

#19 ausi ski bum, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  20. AussieJimbo

AussieJimbo First Runs

Again? I was at a meeting at the Country Club about this a few years ago and hoped it had been knocked on the head.

Do this and they ruin one of the nicest aspects of the village and you'll still have to pay oversnow to get to your lodge.

It is a really stupid idea.

21. Hunter

Excellent initative, have to applaud the resort for this because something HAS to be done, the status quo is just not an option if they want this resort to progress. [​IMG]

#21 Hunter, Aug 6, 2008
  22. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

thanks for posting this ASB.

Do you happen to know what qualifies someone as a "stakeholder" and entitles them to attend a meeting?

23. Apresski

I would imagine anyone who has a financial involvement in Falls Creek. but there wouldn't be anything stopping anyone from emailing the Falls Creek Resort Management.

24. dickyknees63

dickyknees63 Hard Yards

Understand the need for safety and convenience; certainly safety is paramount. However, clear the roads = kill the magic.

[​IMG]

Hope I got the image post right - first timer!

#24 dickyknees63, Aug 6, 2008
  25. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We thought the snow covered roads were one of the biggest pluses of the resort when we were there for the first time a few weeks ago. We were staying in the Village Bowl so could ski down to the supermarket, then ski down to the Gully chair with the groceries and catch the chair back up to the apartment. I just wish I could do that at home! The snow covered roads really added to the charm of the whole resort - it's magical walking through the snow down to the Cock n' Bull pub for a pint of Guinness before dinner.

On the downside, when we arrived on a Sunday night there was a massive queue for the oversnow and yes it was a major PITA as we were tired after driving all day and just wanted to get to the apartment, but as others have said you would still have to get from the car park to your accom somehow, so if private cars aren't allowed how does clearing the roads solve anything at all?

If I owned an apartment at Falls or went there regularly this plan would make me very, very angry.

26. dickyknees63

dickyknees63 Hard Yards

Take 2....

Understand the need for safety and convenience; certainly safety is paramount. However, clear the roads = kill the magic.

[​IMG]

#26 dickyknees63, Aug 6, 2008
  27. IAB

Sweet photo Dickyknees!

28. dickyknees63

dickyknees63 Hard Yards

Thx...a friend took it! She takes beautiful photos. Taken during the dump on the night of 20 July.

29. IAB

That was the night we arrived!

30. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Gotta keep the4 snow on the roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#30 ausi ski bum, Aug 6, 2008
  31. Stratus

Stratus A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As long as Falls Creek is sent a strong and clear message, a strong and clear message, only then will the roads be sugar.

32. Hunter

Quote by ASB

No, you have still got the donkey by the tail.

The opening statement should be

#32 Hunter, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  33. Crystal

Hunter....... how is taking the snow off the road going to fix the transport system ???? the same company will still be moving people around the hill with the same crap service, but just in different vehicles. !!!!

34. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon the key to the proposal is this: "The importance to future investors of being able to offer winter access to off street, and especially underground parking, in the village for future development"

Any money they have a developer who is wanting to develop a new massive structure with underground parking and drive-in - drive-out.

35. Hunter

Firstly if you read my quotes above I too believe keeping the roads snow covered is the best outcome, as long as the OS can be fixed.
    If that is not possible other options just have to be faced and that may mean clearing the roads, end game is this shocking handicap is dragging Falls down and will forever unless it is tackled head on. The current meetings that ASB has outlined are a good move as it seems to show they may mean business.

Snow or no snow either way the roads are too narrow to allow people to drive up on their own say so, so it is either keep the roads covered and install a modern OS service run by someone who can deliver that service, or if that is just not viable then roads to cleared and run an OS just like Bullers, much cheaper and efficient to run I would suspect, either way once and far all CHANGE MUST HAPPEN.

I would suggest the current appalling OS system drags the resort down greater than snow covered roads boosts the resort.

36. Hunter

A valid point but it wont happen at Falls as the roads are just not suitable unlike Buller.

#36 Hunter, Aug 7, 2008
  37. Apresski

Clearing the roads is actually more dangerous for pedestrians, i.e. Buller.No 1 child has recently skied at Buller fior the first time in years and complained about how slippery the roads are after clearing when they start to freeze.It's much easier to walk on snow. I take your point Hunter that the Oversnow needs to be fixed and when the contract comes up for renewal hopefully Resort management will be more stringent.
    The issue of developers wanting to build apartment buildings with car parks is nul and void if cars are not allowed in the village anyway. The current raft of new developments are not affected as they are situated on the main road and are able to have parking underneath. At the end of the day the developers need to take note of what the paying public want, as they are the ones who will make these developments successful or not. Walking to the lifts from the middle of the village up and down roads that have become iced over in ski boots would not be terribly attractive to me.

38. K@os

K@os A Local

Each year FC seems more and more interested in what the developers want and trying to make FC the kind of place where only BMW driving, polo-neck wearing visitors can afford.

This sounds to me like another of those situations. When there isnt snow on the roads, depending on where you are staying can mean a fair hike back to the apartment. I've been to FC many times and when there is no snow on the road I cry....you dont want to make me cry do you?

39. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

What is the current timing for expiry of the oversnow contract??

Perhaps this meeting is a nice piece of strategy - ie present an unacceptable straw man (cleared roads) so that an alternative gets up.

The question is, what's the alternative they have in mind? A big fix of the oversnow? Some sort of parking/lift solution? something else? Nothing else?

Would the oversnow get fixed if they threw a lot of money at it, could they be seeking that?

Having ridden in the Charlotte Pass cats a few weeks back and been VERY impressed at their comfort, modernity and large capacity, I would say that an oversnow at Falls DOES have the potential to be everything the resort needs it to be. What the economics of that are, I can't guess.

40. Hunter

My answer,

1.a new operator (clearly)

2.renovated terminal, (it is a shed)

3.computerisation of the entire entry, shuttle, parking oversnow system ( like Buller order and pay at the gate with entry 4wd waiting by your car as you get out )

4. Maintain covered roads.

5. use Buller style troop carries with tank tracks ( they have some in service already )

6. get a proper performance based contract in place.

41. Apresski

I continue to be amazed that developers want to keep building upmarket apartments while half the mountain is for sale! Real Estate .com.au has an incredible amount of apartments for sale, meanwhile the second stage of Ropers needs to be sold, St Falls and the rehash of Snowgums into Fjall. A friend of mine owns one of the penthouses in Woodsmoke and has had 3 weeks of bookings this season. Maybe the developers are barking up the wrong tree and cheaper accommodation would be more popular as an investment. There is very little for sale in Snowski or Les Chalets.
    The Oversnow has been a bone of contention on the mountain since I have been visiting it for the last 23 years and has always been operated by the same company. The infrastructure obviously needs a large injection of funds. I notice in todays papers that James Packer now has the controlling share of Living and Leisure Australia, maybe they can take over the Oversnow.

42. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

Best suggestion is from ASB - build a tunnel underneath Falls Creek Road! This has the advantage of being a cheap solution.

But, it would be pretty silly to clear the roads and then have everybody go up to the Village in ancient old Land Cruisers at "Highway Robbery" prices, lining the pockets of the same old crowd!

43. CarveMan

Yup - the blade of the buller snow clearers leaves a polished flat surface on the small layer of snow it leaves behind. If fresh snow falls on that it becomes even more deadly. Ask my mate Andy at Bumps how he broke his collarbone - it was on the freshly cleared snow on the road.

Falls roads aren't set up for anything but it's current arrangement. As Hunter said they just need the arrangement to work better.

#43 CarveMan, Aug 7, 2008
  44. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I am sure if you had a good look at Falls Creek a very good compramise could be developed I know Ian Grant when he was CEO of FCRM had a very good plan, trouble is people with vission are lacking. Falls Creek easily has the potential to be Australia's premier resort, It just needs to have a proper plan, fix the transport issues and stop worrying about the odd pine tree and actualy landscape the town with a full alpine theme.

45. Hunter

As it stands Falls is running last amongst the 4 big resorts, and running last by a good margin and one of the main reasons it is way behind is this shambolic entry/transport system, those who do have a stake in the mountain need to attend these meetings ( a very good idea by the RMB by the way ) and shake the bloody cage and some.

46. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Depends what you mean by "running last". FC is small when compared to PB and Thredbo and will never have those visitor numbers. Nor should it. Much of it's appeal is tied up in the limited size: compact village, uncrowded slopes (mostly), friendly ambience.

I hope to attend the meeting.
    I want to see improvements to village access.
    Clearing the roads would be a disaster - in safety and ambience.

47. Hunter

Not in visitor numbers but overall, infrastructure in particular, of which the village transport is a big part, not to mention having your best terrain serviced by a wreck of a poma, I mean really as quaint as it is and all.........

48. Apresski

Hunter, do you actually ski at Falls Creek? The International poma only services that run. The Summit chair services the maze area which is the black run area of Falls. There is this view that expert skiers make up the bulk of visitors, not true. Most skiers who ski Falls do so because they enjoy the cruisy runs. That is why it is known as a family friendly resort. If the lift company could ever take a punt on opening up Mt Mckay, there wouldn't be much to beat it in Australia. For this reason it is essential that the Oversnow is brought up to standard.

49. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Apresski - I skied it for years... and I'd say Thredbo beats it hands down for family friendly.... kids can safely ride the village bus system and wander around the village... Family can park car and unload - then go and park car - no-one to pay for getting gear to lodging... Mum and Dad with 2-3 kids in tow can much more easily get kids and gear to FFlat using the bus system(every 10 mins or less on FF bus)... compare trying to drag your kids along the road covered in snow while skiers try to run you over - and no sensible shuttle service....

Then there is the option to walk into FF ski school area... or take an (unfamiliar) chairlift in those unfamiliar ski boots to get to the ski school at Falls...

Would you like me to continue?
    Oh and as for a Falls Creek 'booking system' that insists the instructor the client requests is "NOT AVAILABLE" when the client then finds them free skiing after they have been told there is no work... (I will admit I have only used the Thredbo one when Monika still ran it - but it was superior system for me booking privates)

50. IAB

It's the same in Charlotte Pass, I don't hear anyone complaining about that. And apart from the car park chair the whole of Guthega is T's and a Poma.

The Oversnow is a PITA as I said earlier, but it's not as bad as Hunter makes out. The return trip is actually quite pleasant as you've already paid the fare so no pain there. And there's no queuing - just go outside and wait at the booked time.

#50 IAB, Aug 7, 2008