1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Feathertop Access vs Bogong

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by cafe_racer, Aug 19, 2019.

1. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

"Parking a car at Diamantina hut would cost the normal resort fees but be careful with drop offs. I have heard that the RMB is clamping down on the drive in, drop off and turn around (to avoid parking or entry fees). Could just be myth but the camera does take your picture on entry and exit and if you do not travel through then you could get a ticket in the mail."
    This is another thing if staying for a few days that Bogong doesnt have = " The truly unique Australian Skiing Tax''

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

"I have heard" - that authoritative source.
    The number plate tracking system allows plenty of time to go through.
    The time I got caught by circumstances and fined I emailed RMB explaining the situation and they cancelled the infringement.

3. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes it does, but you still have to go through and not go in and out the same way without passing through the other camera. That was the point I was making but like I said, it could all be a myth. I have no direct confirmation. Not about to test it myself.

4. legend

legend One of Us

We got caught at Hotham a couple of years ago coming up from Omeo. We just dropped of a mate and returned.
    Around 3 months later we got a letter with a fine: $350 hurt - A LOT!!
    Their reasoning - no stopping or dropping off.

5. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Anyway I would rather ski at Bogong any day rather than Feathertop .
    Most of Feathertop faces steeply east or moderate west which isnt ideal and not much shelter from the wind.
    Even going across the Razorback thru the bushes at the low point isnt easy access.

CarveMan and Chaeron like this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I would tell them you had a sick passenger and had to return ASAP to seek doctor in Omeo!
    Then see what management have to say?
    Or wheel chains broke and you needed to return to Omeo to get them replaced whatever.

Don’t let these guys screw with you!:whistle:

7. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Last time I did a day trip to Feathertop 2 seasons ago (riding, not just hiking), I swore it was the last time I'd do a winter day trip, ye old legs feel the pain skinning and booting 22-odd km in one day (razorback return), but then I look at her in photos and say, "na, yeah let's do it again soon!". I've looked at the vert and distance and, depending of course on which way you come, it's not much bigger than a day trip to Bogong, but I put my higher fatigue levels down to the fact the skinning or booting out of the tight gullies is more difficult.

There's a certain smugness, too, with dropping in the south east face looking at the lemmings at the orchard, but they get the last laugh as they will be enjoying a chilled beverage whilst I am traversing some concrete east face praying I don't lose a ski crampon, possibly in the semi-darkness!

8. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Feathertop looked awesome from Westons on Sunday - but those faces would be tough skiing!

From Westons one can see all those skiable lines on Razorback and Machinery Spur as well as the back end of the Fainters.

I reckon the Fainters is under-visited because the aspect it presents to the FC road doesn’t show much skiable terrain- but there’s so to work with on its south-western slopes.

The same could be said in a good year for the terrain above the Terrible Hollow on Pretty Valley Creek - on the Tawonga and Mc Kay/ Dam site Hill sides.

Endless_Winter and Bogong like this.
  9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Yep once did a day trip to F 'top via the Razorback it was a hard long day including some descents esp the lowest bit where the easiest way thru the bushes was to put the skins on to control the travel.
    Have to agree that Fainter South is underrated.

Endless_Winter and Chaeron like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I drove up to JB Plain in late June this season for a day trip from Myrtleford , to XC ski and apart from putting on chains in testing conditions near the Blow Hard hut I did not stop once. I was not fined or made to pay anything. Mt. Bogong is free to visit and parking at most locations for its various approaches remains free too.