Trip Report Feathertop Sep 8-10

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Team Weasel, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Had a good long weekend up on Feathertop - the Sunday was a write off due to poor visibility, but Saturday and Monday were sublime. I'm intending this more as a condition report / guide for those not familiar with FT, as I've ran into a few of those folks up there recently.

Good cover, but it's disappearing fast now!

The southern end of the ridge that is Feathertop/Razorback is in great condition. Good warmup runs are to be had here, especially in the morning on the sunny aspects. It's also not a bad spot at the end of the day when you're a bit tired and CBF'd booting out, as skinning is feasible without a million kick turns.

Moving north towards the summit, but just before Avalanche gully/bowl, this run looks sweet. Ridge on looker's left is also skin-able. Over that ridge is...

Avalanche Gully.

There's some sizable cornices happening, but there's plenty of places to enter. So many lines are on, including off the summit.

Besides the cornice, there's a fair bit of avalanche debris forming lower in the gullies...so you may not want to ski the whole way down. Slopes in the sun all day are starting to wet slide, especially if you are doing longer radius turns.

Having skied there in the past weeks, I decided to focus more on Hellfire...

Here's a good shot of Hellfire gully, with Avalanche ridge going up from low left to the summit in the above shot. I skied the solid black lines, with the looker's left line taking a detour around some proper sheet ice in the shade. Still aiming to get down that chute without encountering ice or rock!

The other lines were good, again icy in the shaded aspects. The dotted line is an ambition I have for the next couple of weeks - will have to hit it soon or else there'll be more rock than snow.

Even the lower slopes of Hellfire have goodies alpenty - south facing slopes low in the gully. Reasonably steep with lovely snow.

And then the boot out...

Lots of unskied terrain further north in the gully over from Hellfire. Again, good place for cruising at the end of the day.

Lastly, the western/northern aspects - these are are melting out rapidly though!

Get out there and enjoy - I'll be back up there again soon, so say hello if you're up that way.

Attached Files:

2. Kletterer

Kletterer Still looking for doughnuts
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great photos. What equipment were you using ?

luke1234 and Team Weasel like this.
  3. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Shift and ZG108. Goes good. Skimo race pack for quick transitions :thumbs:

mattyv, Chaeron, Ziggy and 2 others like this.
  4. mattyv

mattyv Hard Yards

Great shots and descriptions mate.
    I'm interested to know the current state of that chute that runs between the rocks big rocks straight down from the summit, it lies between your dotted line and your lookers left detour line....is there any snow left over those rocks where it gets really steep?

Team Weasel likes this.
  5. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Hey @mattyv, this might be a better angle.

Was a good amount of snow, but super icy in the shaded aspects. It'd be sweet if conditions were right, or you don't mind 20 or so meters of steep ice!

luke1234 and mattyv like this.
  6. mattyv

mattyv Hard Yards

Cheers for that @Team Weasel , perhaps it may have been soft enough over the past few warm days?
    I imagine it would be pretty tricky getting the timing just right......
    When are you heading back up there?

7. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Most likely the end of next week...should be enough coverage for some for Hellfire / Avalanche gully shenanigans. Catch you up there perhaps!

8. mattyv

mattyv Hard Yards

Quite possibly :thumbs: