Feedback Japan Earthquake?(2011 M9 quake & tsunami)

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
We watched a recent episode of Foreign Correspondent the looked at the huge walks being built along the eastern coast of Japan. Some differing opinions and some negative outcomes.
I think you mean "walls" not "walks".

As it was back then, there were already tsunami walls protecting coastal towns where inlets and river mouths met the sea.... but these were not high enough.
They trying to build a "continuous" 400km wall, higher and more resistant to being moved or knocked over, but I'm not sure this makes sense. Better to protect just coastal towns, than uninhabited areas.... and not necessarily with just ever higher sea walls, IMO.

Here's the link to that episode.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I went to see Onagawa village of Miyagi Pref last year. 15m tall of Tsunami hit, sweeping away 3,500 buildings and killing 1,000 people. I like the design of the new village. Port - Tsunami Wall - the new commercial area - the new residential area (= on a higher land). Japanese inaka villages tend to be lacking in concentrated commercial areas and we need to drive from one place to another. Even with the Tsunami Wall, if once in 1,000 years giant earthquake (like 2011's one) hits again, the new commercial area will be swept away, but it won't reach the new residential area, which is important.

As a fishing fan, the commercial area being very close to the beach / port is a good thing (it helps us decide to visit there for fishing again).
20200228-OYT8I50048-1.jpg

Reactions: Hyst and fennekeg

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
Had a minute-long blast on the local siren this afternoon. The least silent 1 minute silence ever.
Maybe the logic was that it would stop any conversation in its tracks.

I've never quite understood why a disaster needs a theme song though...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass